[REMOVE ADS]

No expanded TY or Reflections

Well, it's July 3022, and no expanded Thank You, or Reflections.
    Just don't get it, she seem to have a successful UK tour but we get nothing..
    I'll take a download only , but there is a company ready to issues these on CDs but...nothing.
    Give up

3022, time flies! Why on earth would there be an expanded version of 'Thank You' when the original sold like cat sick in the US? As for 'Reflections' I have long since given up any hope!

My guess is The Supremes Expanded Editions are dead in the water. Matter of fact most oldies artists music are dead in the water unless it's from Europe or Japan. What is available in digital form on Amazon and iTunes is what there is. Let's not forget that many, many artists master tapes were destroyed in the Universal fire in 2008. I have emailed several companies like Real Gone, Cherry Red Records, Epic Universal and Brunswick records trying to get albums that have never been on CD like most of Brook Bentons Mercury albums, most of Bobby Goldsboro albums, most of Lou Rawls albums and the rest of Bobby Rydells, Chubby Checker, Dee Dee Sharpes albums as well as many other artists that have albums not available in digital form with no luck whatsoever. Some of those artists are on the list of masters lost in the fire. However, Brunswick did email me back in regards to my inquire about why the Chi-lites albums "A Lonely Man" and "For God's Sake Give More Power to The People", Jackie Wilsons "By Special Request", "You Aint Heard Nothin Yet", "Sings The Worlds Greatest Melodies", "Shake a Hand", and "Spotlight On Jackie Wilson" and Barbara Acklins albums aren not available as digital downloads. Though I was not given specifics I was told that "most" of those albums would be available later this year.

Just for fyi, an expanded TY was planned to coincide with her UK tour and release of Turn Up the Sunshine..
    If CDs are out, I'll take downloads
    But I suppose we are done until someone kicks the bucket

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Some of those artists are on the list of masters lost in the fire.
    There's a list?

I've not seen anything except denials or admissions in court.
    Please send the link!

I just discovered that none of the shellac-era [78rpm] metal parts for Universal's historic labels [such as Decca] were stored in that building and are safely at the Library of Congress. Master tapes from the 1950s onward, however, were lost.

Was the Thank you Deluxe Edition/Expanded ever confirmed? It seemed more like a rumour. It was a nice idea though. Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath anymore. Aaron Dillon said it best in his post above. The Supremes aside, there are so many artists whose albums have yet to make an appearance on a CD or digital format. For instance, I recently noticed that the legendary Lena Horne doesn't seem to get much in the way of compilations and reissues of her albums on digital or CD, in recent years. Same can be said for other Motown artists. I feel fortunate we've received so many releases on Diana and The Supremes over the years. I'm still surprised that Universal kept its word with releasing the wonderful Mary Wilson Anthology.

For the most part, it seems that the companies are now hesitant to release anything and are restrictive with licensing out their catalogue to third-parties, so at this point in time, we are stuck. In the meantime, I'm going back and listening to older releases, as well as buying physical output from other artists.
    Last edited by carlo; 07-24-2022 at 03:34 PM.

A lot of those artists have had their material released on CD back in the 90's early 2000's thank gawd and those that have not had all their albums released on CD [[Officially, not bootlegs or companies like Jasmine Records) will most likely never have those albums released in any form except those that were released on vinyl back in the day. For instance, BGO records released a couple of Bobby Goldsboro albums on CD in the late 90's early 2000's but since the 2008 fire there has hardly been anything released on him. He has roughly 14 albums on the United Artists Records label that have never seen a CD release or a digital only release and most likely never will.

So much gloom and doom. Lol

I know it's no longer the fashionable thing to do since everyone has moved on, but the truth is we have to take into consideration that Covid screwed up a lot of stuff and the effects still being felt today are not just the ones related to health. There's a lot of crap going on that has business as usual interrupted all over the place. And while music releases are as important to me as they are to any of you- the music lovers that we are- of all the businesses in the world, I find there are higher priorities regarding what needs to be righted, and record companies getting back on track with classic re-releases aint high on the list. Universal has proven itself to be available to re-issue classic albums that are guaranteed to put significant money in their account [[i.e. Marvin Gaye's albums), and if they have extra room in the budget leftover they might get around to releasing something else. We were extremely blessed to get a Mary Anthology, which included unreleased Supremes tunes and alternate versions this year. In the midst of the pandemic wasn't the Funny Girl expanded released on cd? My memory is fuzzy. Two years before that we got HDH expanded. So the releases may not be coming fast enough for us, but there's no evidence that the EE train has pulled into the station and not coming out. I definitely empathize with the frustration, but the gloom and doom isn't helping.

I certainly understand the need to vent though. Just have a little patience.

Thanks! That explains why I haven't seen them [behind NYT paywalls]

don't forget we did get the Mary Wilson Anthology which contained a lot of unreleased and alt versions of her songs

here's a list of what we got and when

1999 - the boss
    1999 - merry christmas, with bonus tracks
    2000 - pink box set
    2001 - diana
    2001 - Diana & Marvin
    2001 - motown christmas album with Bethlehem and O Holy Night
    2002 - Diana Ross 70
    2002 - 70s anthology
    2002 - R&H
    2003 - to love again
    2003 - the #1s
    2004 - There's a place for us
    2004 - Together, the Temps duets
    2004 - WDOLG
    2004 - live in japan
    2005 - supremes gold [[the GH packages)
    2006 - jean terrell years
    2006 - Blue
    2006 - Reflections dvd
    2007 - Last time i saw him
    2008 - Lost and found
    2008 - Everything is everything
    2008 - Surrender
    2009 - magnificent, four top duets
    2010 - Meet the supremes
    2010 - touch me in the morning
    2011 - More hits
    2011 - scherrie payne years
    2011 - 50th anniversary
    2011 - best of Ed Sullivan and the Supremes dvd
    2012 - copa
    2012 - symphony
    2012 - DR 76
    2013 - motown unreleased 1963 with CW&P outtakes
    2014 - Baby it's me
    2014 - funny girl digital
    2015 - merry christmas, with more bonus tracks
    2015 - DR sings the wiz
    2016 - motown unreleased 1966 with From Broadway to Hollywood outtakes
    2017 - A go go
    2017 - ultimate merry christmas
    2018 - HDH
    2019 - motown unreleased 1969, for once in my life
    2020 - Funny girl, cd and other bonus tracks
    2022 - mary wilson anthology

so for 20 consecutive years we got at least SOMETHING. yes a few times it was just a couple of unreleased tracks contained in a broader Motown cd. but hey - it's something. and some years we got multiple [[although often one of those was really at almost the end of the year, like WDOLG). 2021 was the first year with nothing and given the pandemic i think Universal can be forgiven for that lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    don't forget we did get the Mary Wilson Anthology which contained a lot of unreleased and alt versions of her songs

here's a list of what we got and when

1999 - the boss
    1999 - merry christmas, with bonus tracks
    2000 - pink box set
    2001 - diana
    2001 - Diana & Marvin
    2001 - motown christmas album with Bethlehem and O Holy Night
    2002 - Diana Ross 70
    2002 - 70s anthology
    2002 - R&H
    2003 - to love again
    2003 - the #1s
    2004 - There's a place for us
    2004 - Together, the Temps duets
    2004 - WDOLG
    2004 - live in japan
    2005 - supremes gold [[the GH packages)
    2006 - jean terrell years
    2006 - Blue
    2006 - Reflections dvd
    2007 - Last time i saw him
    2008 - Lost and found
    2008 - Everything is everything
    2008 - Surrender
    2009 - magnificent, four top duets
    2010 - Meet the supremes
    2010 - touch me in the morning
    2011 - More hits
    2011 - scherrie payne years
    2011 - 50th anniversary
    2011 - best of Ed Sullivan and the Supremes dvd
    2012 - copa
    2012 - symphony
    2012 - DR 76
    2013 - motown unreleased 1963 with CW&P outtakes
    2014 - Baby it's me
    2014 - funny girl digital
    2015 - merry christmas, with more bonus tracks
    2015 - DR sings the wiz
    2016 - motown unreleased 1966 with From Broadway to Hollywood outtakes
    2017 - A go go
    2017 - ultimate merry christmas
    2018 - HDH
    2019 - motown unreleased 1969, for once in my life
    2020 - Funny girl, cd and other bonus tracks
    2022 - mary wilson anthology

so for 20 consecutive years we got at least SOMETHING. yes a few times it was just a couple of unreleased tracks contained in a broader Motown cd. but hey - it's something. and some years we got multiple [[although often one of those was really at almost the end of the year, like WDOLG). 2021 was the first year with nothing and given the pandemic i think Universal can be forgiven for that lol
    spreadsheets!

Thanks for this comprehensive list, sup_fan. We've also had a bunch of albums reissued straight to CD by Universal Japan and Culture Factory [[ie. Ross '78, Scherrie & Susaye's Partners, The Supremes 1975, etc). We also got Diana's RCA albums on CD with bonus tracks from FunkyTownGrooves. There was also the Universal reissue of Diana's The Lady Sings Jazz & Blues live album on CD and DVD in 2002. Also not forgetting the release of her movies and Central Park concert on DVD.

Edit: There was also the Supremes twofer CD's and The Supreme Florence Ballard released by Spectrum/Universal UK in 2001. Plus, countless other compilations, including the Playlist Plus 3 CD set that contained some alternate mixes.
    Last edited by carlo; 07-24-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    spreadsheets!
    haha - gotta love spreadsheets lol

actually i don't have this in my spreadsheet, i stopped around 81 or so because the Billboard magazines seemed to have dropped the weekly pop singles charts. odd.

i got all of this data from the Supremes pages on wikipedia

I downloaded Diana's Turn Up The Sunshine, and a remix of Thank You and If The World Just Danced and added them to my Thank You files creating my own Deluxe Version. If one gets issued then great. Until then I have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    haha - gotta love spreadsheets lol

actually i don't have this in my spreadsheet, i stopped around 81 or so because the Billboard magazines seemed to have dropped the weekly pop singles charts. odd.

i got all of this data from the Supremes pages on wikipedia

????

Perhaps that was when Billboard started presenting the Hot 100 in its removable centerfold poster style??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ????

Perhaps that was when Billboard started presenting the Hot 100 in its removable centerfold poster style??
    that could be it. i'm going off of the billboard site that has all of the old issues as pdf. so if they don't scan in all of the poster, then it would be missing data and missing pages

Just saying Elvis has a new expanded coming as does George Michael.
    Come on universal.
    Real gone is waiting
    So are we

The LP that contains the last hit singles on the Supremes to be written and produced by HDH. Such a shame Lamont wasn't able to see an Expanded Edition come to fruition.