[REMOVE ADS]

Which period was the peak of the Supremes in your opinion?

I think overall we can all agree that the group was on fire from 1965 to 1968 but is there a specific period where you think to yourself that they were at the absolute top of their game?

For me it was what I call the "A Go Go" period. A Go Go was #1, they taped the Rodgers and Hart special, You Can't Hurry Love on Sullivan, trip to the Orient, Vegas debut, etc. I also felt like the three of them were at their best individually during this period as well despite Diana's rising star, it still felt like a group but that all changed by the end of the year. Ironically it's also when things started breaking down behind the scenes.

Couldn't agree more Floy. To me the group would never be as good as it was when it was the original three, although each period of the Supremes timeline has it's own charm. But the A Go Go period, as you call it, is when the ladies were on top of their game. And I agree about them really coming into their own as individuals as well, which is interesting, considering how we know Flo and Mary felt about their positions in the group vs Diana's. Each seemed to be growing as entertainers. And of course singing together for so long, when they were on, they were on.

It's interesting to ponder how the group sound would have evolved had the trio stayed together for the duration of the decade. Of course chances are likely the Andantes would have still replaced them on singles, but live, having all that time together, knowing each other's voices so well, I can only imagine their blend on things like the Fats Waller Medley would have been killer.

I would attach to the A Go Go period thru the end of Flo's time there. Despite the behind the scenes issues, they really only seemed to be getting better. The DRATS period ushered in Diana in all her group glory, and with the addition of Cindy it really does seem like a completely different group, regardless of Diana's presence. But I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that DRATS had it own's strengths and in some ways the group continued to step their game up. But it would never be a group like it was with Flo, and that made a difference.

From 1964 thru early 1966, the group was really finding it's place in the hierarchy of music. Where prior to "Where Did Our Love Go" they were honing their skills as singers and entertainers, I feel like 64-66 they were honing their skills as stars. Even in early 1966 there was still this element of "newbie" to them. The matching department store dresses had given way to more sophisticated "prom" wear. But then as 1966 started to get going, the prom wear became beautiful gowns and contemporary chic. The bouffants were ditched for more sassy looks. The 1966 Supremes weren't your daddy's Supremes anymore.

The Supremes topped pop music, soul music and rock n' roll music, when they went orchestral with "Stop In The Name of Love".
    Even the Beatles had not at the time the raw energy of this classic song, which still overwhelms the party masses!

i would have to say a toss up between the 64-65 group and the late 66 - 67.

the first is when they obviously broke into the pop stratosphere and became America's sweethearts. they were approachable teen girls, wearing pretty dresses, sort of playing grown up so to speak. super eager to please, super happy to be there, all smiles

the second period is the first sort of "reinvention" of the group. and it started with IMO their performance of YCHL on Sullivan. it was a dramatic new look, style and image for the group. they were now women, ultra stylish, mod hair, couture sequin gowns. they were now superstars. their songs were also more mature and less cutesy.

You guys are definitely on the right track. In fact I think Motown as a whole reached its peak in 1966. There were so many phenomenal songs released that year that I cannot remember them all. Of course there were many great songs after that, but the sheer volume and consistency that came out of Detroit that year was incredible.