[REMOVE ADS]

Six Reasons Why Melba Moore is Marvelous!

http://news.theurbanmusicscene.com/2...-is-marvelous/

Six Reasons Why Melba Moore is Marvelous!
    NEW YORK – July 11, 2022 – PRLog — The legendary Tony Award winning Grammy nominated songstress Melba Moore has achieved many milestones in her multi-decade career. From Broadway to television, hit records to high accolades from leaders in the USA, there is no stopping Ms. Moore from being on top of the mountain in her career. Here are six reasons why the Harlem-born Newark raised legend is indeed marvelous.
    Presidential Honor #1 – Ms. Moore will receive the Joseph R. Biden Lifetime Achievement Award, honoring her career. The event will take place at Morehouse College in Atlanta GA on Friday, August 26th, 2022.
    Presidential Honor #2 – Also at Morehouse on August 26th, she’ll receive the Presidential Volunteer Service Award for her commitment to improvement within urban communities.
    Star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame – Ms. Moore joins this class of 2023 to receive their stars, which includes singer Charlie Wilson, rocker Lenny Kravitz and hit maker/percussionist Sheila E.
    New Album, “Imagine” – Released on The Gallery Entertainment label, Ms. Moore’s newest album is a family affair, produced by her daughter, Charli Huggins. The singles “So In Love”, “Take Her Picture Down” and the title track are receiving strong airplay on R&B stations as well as jazz outlets.

Melba Made the History Books – In 2017, her rendition of “Lift Every Voice & Sing” [[recorded in 1990) entered the Congressional Record as Official Black National Anthem. It was also added to the US National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as an “American Aural Treasure”.
    Broadway and Television Firsts – After her stint in the legendary Broadway musical, “Hair”, Ms. Moore went on to become one of the first Black actresses to earn a Tony [[this for her role in the 1970 musical, “Purlie”). Two years later, she and songwriter Clifton Davis became the first Black couple to co-host a weekly variety series, “The Melba Moore/Clifton Davis Show”, on CBS-TV in the summer of 1972.

Ms. Moore will be appearing at the Newark NJ Pride Festival [[July 16th), Blues Alley in Washington DC [[August 13th and 14th), the Grammy Museum of Newark NJ [[August 18th), the Urban League of St. Louis, MO annual dinner/gala [[September 9th) and returning to DC to appear in the play, “Roll On” [[September 25th – October 31st).

A good count-down for the, indeed, marvelous Melba! I can add her run of excellent lps, first on Buddha then on Capital.

What a wonderful testimonial to the Magnificent Melba Moore! I guess "This is It" turned me on to her back in the day, but later I marveled at her power and range. You might even say I admired her "staying power" as she held some mighty long notes on some of her songs!

Sadly, as talented as she is, Melba is one of probably dozens of great R & B/pop artists that the average mainstream record buyer would claim they don't even know, because they might not have a number one or top ten hit. A few people that I could add to that list would be Phyllis Hyman, Jean Carne, my Denise LaSalle of course!, Ann Peebles, Gwen McCrae, Margie Joseph, and the list could go on.

Fortunately they each had enough fans to buy their records and extend their careers to reasonable lengths of time.

If that's a recent photo on the video above, she looks fantastic! Wow. I never heard enough of her when she was at her peak, would like to hear her again now.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    A nice interview and great showcase for Melba Moore. None of those 3 people have a clue who Melba Moore is and that kinda gives me the creeps ... but, a deserving lady gets deserving credit and I say BRAVA! [[And. I'll brag for my 94th time here about seeing Melba's legendary one-woman show at the Metropolitan Opera House. The lady brings it.)

Is her new album available on CD or only download?

https://soulstrutter.blogspot.com/20...e-orpheus.html

You can listen here, digital only I believe.