[REMOVE ADS]

Diana: I Will Survive

When TAKE ME HIGHER was released, I gravitated to the title track, and of course, IWS. I performed that song A LOT back in the day, lol.

Anyway, curious on your thoughts about who the "girls" are that this is "dedicated" to. Her daughters? Her gay following? Her drag darlings?

If memory serves me, she was in the midst of a divorce, so I always assumed it was her daughters. But then you see the video, and it paints a different picture.

By the way, I've always heard that her stage diving in the video was unplanned.

I think "girls" was intended for both [[her daughters and her following). There is an interview where she discuss with Rupaul jumping into the audience but I can't remember exactly what she said. It may be on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    When TAKE ME HIGHER was released, I gravitated to the title track, and of course, IWS. I performed that song A LOT back in the day, lol.

Anyway, curious on your thoughts about who the "girls" are that this is "dedicated" to. Her daughters? Her gay following? Her drag darlings?

If memory serves me, she was in the midst of a divorce, so I always assumed it was her daughters. But then you see the video, and it paints a different picture.

By the way, I've always heard that her stage diving in the video was unplanned.
    I assumed it was her daughters. But I vaguely recall some live performances where she said "This is dedicated to my girls and you know who you are." So she could have meant her some of her fans as well.

Diana and Arne didn't divorce until four years after IWS was released.

Around 6:19, she talks about filming the video.

“IWS” is clearly dedicated to her gay fans. The video being a massive clue.

I would like Diana Ross to say "...and I dedicate this song to everyone who have danced to my songs over the years, oh my...". Then, Ms.Ross sings "If The World Just Danced". There are now great remixes of this song. It is destined to be in a Bollywood Movie. Hollywood Calling, dear. Ha Ha...
    I like Diana Ross' version of "IWS", yet she got her groove back with her own classic dance hit,"ITWJD"!

I wonder if gloria was pissed they used Diana's version in the film In And Out? I'd assume that just including it on the album wouldn't have bothered GG but supposedly she's a bit over how Diana uses the song on every concert. and surely she wasn't pleased with DR singing her song at the Super Bowl lol

in Randy's book he said there's an unreleased version that is more "disco" and less 90s dance.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I wonder if gloria was pissed they used Diana's version in the film In And Out? I'd assume that just including it on the album wouldn't have bothered GG but supposedly she's a bit over how Diana uses the song on every concert. and surely she wasn't pleased with DR singing her song at the Super Bowl lol

in Randy's book he said there's an unreleased version that is more "disco" and less 90s dance.
    I would assume that Gloria might not be happy that Diana has adopted IWS so strongly. After all, Diana has many hits while Gloria only has a few. But I believe they are friendly. Gloria's brother was Diana's driver for many years. And of course, on at least one occasion, Diana and Gloria sang the song together.

yeah i don't mean to imply that there is a war or severe animosity. but to your point, DR has a zillion songs that could work perfectly as a closer - Mountain, The Boss.

I also really like Carry On from Everyday. no matter how many times Diana sings IWS, it will still always be Gloria's song. but with CO, there just isn't that strong of an association with the original version. her vocals are just incredible on the recording - she just kills it! it also uses her theme of love and perseverance so it would work just as well IMO

yeah i don't mean to imply that there is a war or severe animosity. but to your point, DR has a zillion songs that could work perfectly as a closer - Mountain, The Boss.

I also really like Carry On from Everyday. no matter how many times Diana sings IWS, it will still always be Gloria's song. but with CO, there just isn't that strong of an association with the original version. her vocals are just incredible on the recording - she just kills it! it also uses her theme of love and perseverance so it would work just as well IMO
    I've often said that CARRY ON would have been a great replacement for IWS in Diana's concerts. It is one of my favorite tracks from EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY. But aside from occasionally doing HE LIVES IN YOU, Diana doesn't perform any EDIAND material in concert. I suspect the project brings back bad memories.

Amen to that! It added some much needed energy to the Every Day's A New Day album, and it took a while for me to discover that Martha Wash had first done it. I feel Diana makes this more her own than she did I Will Survive which I do wish she'd leave as Gloria Gaynor's legacy.

I think Gloria has made money from Diana singing the song

I also believe the song has nothing to do with her daughters and lots to do with her gay followers

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think Gloria has made money from Diana singing the song

I also believe the song has nothing to do with her daughters and lots to do with her gay followers
    it is clear it was to her children. She said so during the spoken into on the album.

As a gay man, I do not need someone to tell me I will survive. I am fully capable, and don’t need Ross or anyone else sending woke platitudes. I would find it insulting.

During the promotion of the music video, Ross repeatedly stated that the song was ALSO a tribute to her gay following and her way to say thank you for their loyalty. Also shooting the video as a gay pride parade in West Hollywood was pretty obvious. Although gay men like myself don't need to be told that they will survive -- not sure what is so "woke" about that -- but the song came out in the 1990s, just after a very devastating decade for gay men [and others] collectively. As many commentators at the time said about "I Will Survive" -- not just the Diana cover but the song in general -- it did obtain a poignant new meaning with the emergence of the AIDS crisis. I have always been ambiguous about the I Will Survive music video, as on the one hand it seems to capitalize on her gay following -- the song and album were heavily promoted in the gay press -- yet, on the other, it is such a joyful celebration of gay, lesbian and queer culture that is difficult to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    During the promotion of the music video, Ross repeatedly stated that the song was ALSO a tribute to her gay following and her way to say thank you for their loyalty. Also shooting the video as a gay pride parade in West Hollywood was pretty obvious. Although gay men like myself don't need to be told that they will survive -- not sure what is so "woke" about that -- but the song came out in the 1990s, just after a very devastating decade for gay men [and others] collectively. As many commentators at the time said about "I Will Survive" -- not just the Diana cover but the song in general -- it did obtain a poignant new meaning with the emergence of the AIDS crisis. I have always been ambiguous about the I Will Survive music video, as on the one hand it seems to capitalize on her gay following -- the song and album were heavily promoted in the gay press -- yet, on the other, it is such a joyful celebration of gay, lesbian and queer culture that is difficult to resist.
    As always, beautifully stated. I wish the right wing would remove the term "woke" from their vocabularies; they have no clue of the origins or meaning of it and have co-opted and bastardized it beyond recognition.
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-19-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    it is clear it was to her children. She said so during the spoken into on the album.

As a gay man, I do not need someone to tell me I will survive. I am fully capable, and don’t need Ross or anyone else sending woke platitudes. I would find it insulting.

But, first and foremost, you ARE a human being And this is no more a woke platitude than ain’t no Mountain high enough or her saying, “go for your dreams - they’re are YOURS!“ When she leaves the stage. She has stated ad nauseam that she is amazed and thankful for her success and where she’s come from and where she is and, despite trials and tribulations along the way, she is still on track. It’s just intended to be inspirational, gay or not, as a human being. If you find that insulting I feel sorry for you. Our culture is going through a horrible sensitivity where it seems so many people are processing every word sent to them as a possible insult or dig or form of condescension. It’s also possible to take those same words and try to process them in the most positive manner possibly intended. Nowadays, if you say, “merry Christmas” to the wrong person you might get a gun pulled on you. They were just trying to be pleasant. In this crazy world we live in now, I look for every possible ray of sunshine even in the most unlikely of places.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    But, first and foremost, you ARE a human being And this is no more a woke platitude than ain’t no Mountain high enough or her saying, “go for your dreams - they’re are YOURS!“ When she leaves the stage. She has stated ad nauseam that she is amazed and thankful for her success and where she’s come from and where she is and, despite trials and tribulations along the way, she is still on track. It’s just intended to be inspirational, gay or not, as a human being. If you find that insulting I feel sorry for you. Our culture is going through a horrible sensitivity where it seems so many people are processing every word sent to them as a possible insult or dig or form of condescension. It’s also possible to take those same words and try to process them in the most positive manner possibly intended. Nowadays, if you say, “merry Christmas” to the wrong person you might get a gun pulled on you. They were just trying to be pleasant. In this crazy world we live in now, I look for every possible ray of sunshine even in the most unlikely of places.
    exactly. Diana has always been focused on performing songs that can inspire. but it's never a narrowly focused message to just one group. her whole point is to deliver a message that will inspire hope wherever and however. she knows she can't know every trial and barrier her fans face. she knows that what might be my challenges are totally different from hers and from yours.

the message can be anything

it can be for a gay man needing to find strength to press on

it can be for a women looking for comfort after a tragedy

it can be fore someone just looking back on a fond memory, remembering dancing to the tune years ago and happy times

her goal is to have her fans leave knowing they can survive whatever it is that is in front of them