[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and Peter Frampton "BILYW"

Natalie Cole's and Nat King Cole's"Unforgettable" studio remixed vocals into a duet song was a remarkable mega chart hit. A studio remix of Diana Ross' vocals and Peter Frampton's vocals of the song "Baby, I Love Your Way" would be awesome!
    I believe, "You Don't Send Me Flowers" by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond was recorded with separate voices, which were later engineered to produce the duet.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by TNSUN; 07-17-2022 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Natalie Cole's and Nat King Cole's"Unforgettable" studio remixed vocals into a duet song was a remarkable mega chart hit. A studio remix of Diana Ross' vocals and Peter Frampton's vocals of the song "Baby, I Love Your Way" would be awesome!
    I believe, "You Don't Send Me Flowers" by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond was recorded with separate voices, which were later engineered to produce the duet.
    Any thoughts?
    This would be a great duet!

I just listened to both versions. Frampton’s is so much richer and beautiful. Musically and vocally Frampton’s had more depth and soul. It was great enough to make him a huge star.

Diana’s version is too sweet and feminine by comparison.

I don’t think the two versions would mix well, but would give it a listen if someone wants to try.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 07-17-2022 at 08:14 AM.

They recorded the song in different keys, so a mashup might sound awkward.

Will to Power had such a massive hit with it, that Diana's pales in comparison. However with technology and autotune, I'm sure something acceptable could be rendered.

Nat King Cole had a baritone voice.
    Natalie Cole had a soprano voice.
    An ethereal musical recording engineer can artistically elevate emotional voices into all the beautiful flavors and depths of love.

Diana baby it’s your way this is far the best version of the song what a beautiful voice she sings that was such clarity such a meaning and a duet with him would be amazing that would be very well done so there you go you little nasty’s

Nat King Cole had a baritone voice.
    Natalie Cole had a soprano voice.
    An ethereal musical recording engineer can artistically elevate emotional voices into all the beautiful flavors and depths of love.
    That's apples and Buicks, though. Natalie went into a studio and consciously recorded "Unforgettable" in Nat's key and arrangement in order to meld her vocal with his. With Diana and Peter, you're dealing with two different keys, arrangements and tempi recorded independently of one another. Not the same thing. All the tweaking in the world couldn't align the two smoothly.

Any thoughts?
    Barbra Streisand recorded "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" for her album "Songbird" and then a DJ mashed up her recording of the song with the one by Neil Diamond, who wrote the song with lyrics by Streisand's friends Alan and Marilyn Bergman. When it was getting a lot of attention, THEN Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond went into a studio together and recorded the duet that became a huge hit. What we hear on the radio is an actual studio-recorded duet, not a mash-up.

As for the idea of putting together Peter Frampton with Diana's version of BILYW, it made me think of how Diana could do a "duets" album with a number of other artists. Barry Manilow and, I believe, Elton John did albums that had virtual duets with long-deceased singers like Judy Garland, Cass Elliot, etc. Not sure how much time Diana wants to spend in a recording studio. Maybe someone like a Barry Manilow could produce it as he has done with acts like Bette Midler, Dionne Warwick, etc.

There was the duet with Billie Holiday on “Crazy He Calls Me”. Not sure I would want a whole album of Diana duetting with the dead.

During the studio remake of the song "Impossible" I doubt very much that Nat King's baritone voice was elevated to a soprano voice and Natalie Cole's soprano voice was deflated to a baritone voice. The recording engineers mastered a constancy of harmonics within their voices.
    Natalie Cole had been singing along, in concert, "Impossible" with a recording of her father singing the song. I believe the album sold 14 million copies.
    Many duets have been recorded of singers whose voices were in different ranges as in the breathtaking recordings of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

During the studio remake of the song "Impossible" I doubt very much that Nat King's baritone voice was elevated to a soprano voice and Natalie Cole's soprano voice was deflated to a baritone voice. The recording engineers mastered a constancy of harmonics within their voices.
    Natalie Cole had been singing along, in concert, "Impossible" with a recording of her father singing the song. I believe the album sold 14 million copies.
    Many duets have been recorded of singers whose voices were in different ranges as in the breathtaking recordings of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
    '

Respectfully, the ranges aren't the issue; Diana's and Peter's are in different keys. I'm not sure if you've studied music formally, but Streisand and Diamond's "Flowers" worked when the DJ initially mashed them together before their re-recording because they were in the same key. It doesn't matter in what voice range a singer is. Think of Marvin and Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Grapevine"; the keys and arrangements are totally different and similarly wouldn't work together.

Done correctly I think it could be nice -

Exactly! The possibilities are endless. As in all musical improvisation, the changing of the key signatures and dynamics makes the music.

During the studio remake of the song "Impossible" I doubt very much that Nat King's baritone voice ...
    TNSUN, when you write "Impossible," do you mean "Unforgettable"?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    '

Think of Marvin and Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Grapevine"; the keys and arrangements are totally different and similarly wouldn't work together.
    On "The Master," Marvin Gaye's box set, there is that live version of "Grapevine" with Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight and the Pips. I love it. It winds up being more like GKATP's version, but I still love it.

Correction. The song is "Unforgettable". Thank you fellow blog poster for the correction advisory.

I guess the title isn’t as unforgettable as it would suggest.

Likely that Frampton wouldn’t want to take the risk of diluting this one of a handful
    of songs that are his bread and butter.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-21-2022 at 01:14 PM.