[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Romantically Yours

Now here's a conundrum - the 'compilation' Romatically Yours released by Sony in 1985 presumably a postumous meorial release - seems to consist of [[in the main at the time) Motown vaulted catalogue . As Motown were then hastily putting together the Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye memorial LP why would they let Sony have masters that they could have included in their own release or a second one.
    Even more intriguing is that there is no mention whatsoever in the sleeve notes or on the CD/LP of Motown and you would have been forgiven then for believing they were Sony recordings.
    I wonder how this came about and why the current repetoire owners have never made use of these presumably still owned tracks in the ensuing 40 year period - or have they and I have missed them?

Is this the album of Bobby Scott-arranged standards that Marvin recorded in the late 60s? I vaguely recall reading that Marvin wasn't satisfied with those vocals and they were released on this album by mistake.

Marvin re-recorded the vocals in the 70s or 80s and I believe those were eventually released on cd.
    Last edited by reese; 07-14-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Is this the album of Booby Scott-arranged standards that Marvin recorded in the late 60s? I vaguely recall reading that Marvin wasn't satisfied with those vocals and they were released on this album by mistake.

Marvin re-recorded the vocals in the 70s or 80s and I believe those were eventually released on cd.
    That's the album however if you check DFTMC it clearly states in the case of Maria for instance

Marvin Gaye; recorded L.A. / Hitsville, completed 02-Feb-67 ; produced by Hal Davis, Marc Gordon ; [3rd odb]

1985; CD: Columbia COL 474162 2 Romantically Yours [1985 mix]
    1985; LP: CBS 26783 Romantically Yours [1985 mix]

And so it appears it was just the mix that was redone for the LP and not a re-recording

On the discogs page, there is some credit mentioning of Motown, although not very clear:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/1932...ntically-Yours

And couldn't we ask the same question about 5 of the 8 tracks on "Dream of a Lifetime"? The liner notes by Larkin Arnold do not mention Motown at all, merely stating about the "additional songs" -- "The rest of the tracks come from numerous recordings that he had done over the years and entrusted to his mother for safekeeping. Fortunately, he had told me of the existence of these recordings... luckily I remembered them." Interesting, the quoted lyrics from "Dream of a lifetime" do have a Jobete copyright and "Used by permission" is included.

The liner notes of Vulnerable [[Motown, 1997), do refer to "Romantically Yours," but without naming the title: "Some of the versions were actually released, but unfortunately those from the late sixties." The liner notes are written by David Ritz, who claims that he came up with the title of Vulnerable [[yeah, right!).