[REMOVE ADS]

Oh No! Diane is Said to be 99 Again!

This was a question on tonight‘s jeopardy. Or I guess I should say, this was the answer… The player gave the question as “what is 90?“ Instead of the correct response which would have been “78“!

Sorry I forgot to fix the right position before I loaded the photo.

I guess I also made a typo in the title of the thread indicating they said 99, no it was actually 90.

Poor Diane!

[ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-05-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Ouch. I am watching this on DVR and stopped it before he answered so that I could post the answer here. Then I read your post. I was shocked when he said WHAT IS 90?

Jeopardy contestants seem to have an age thing about Diana lately.

I feel ancient. I knew Diana's age is 78 and I know that before the '50s, there were no 45 rpm records. There were 78 rpm records.

It should have been an easy guess. There never was a 90 rpm record.

The contestant was kind of young, so it is forgivable not to know Diana's exact age, but if you are smart enough to get on Jeopardy, you should have a basic knowledge of history, including entertainment. 90 rpm? Tssh

@Milven,

I was thinking the same thing about him being young, but he guessed correctly "The Byrds" in an answer naming 2 of the original members, Gram Parsons and one other [[Roger McQuinn it might've been).

Don't get me started on how much more "cred" classic rock gets than does Motown!

I knew you guys would be jumping all over this one! True the guy was young but Kenneth makes a valid point that he did know the Byrds, and they have been inactive for quite some time, whereas Diana has stayed in the spotlight. So I guess it really came down to him not knowing any record speeds before 45s and 33s.

I thought the young man said, "Diana Ross" and not Diane. Who's Diane [[unless one grew up with her, a member of her family, or a close associate/friend from the Motown days)? Yes, I went there. Ha Ha

Oh nooooooo! LOLZZZZZ! Poor Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I thought the young man said, "Diana Ross" and not Diane. Who's Diane [[unless one grew up with her, a member of her family, or a close associate/friend from the Motown days)? Yes, I went there. Ha Ha
    I’m glad you went there! 😯☺️

Boy, a 90 rpm disc would fly off the platter, lol!!

The incorrect answer to Diana's age on a few Jeopordy shows [the most recent one last night] is upsetting some of her fans

If it is any consolation, the two contestants going for the championship didn't finish the game with any money. It is not because they are young. One contestant said that Barack Obama was the 38th President.

But the fans were not too happy since this is the second or third time that this has happened saying that Diana was in her 90's.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...042514782.html

Here is last night's full episode of Jeopardy. The Daily Double question about Diana's age comes at about 7:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3o65UAoGIU

How very disrespectful to Miss Ross. I agree that Motown does not get the respect nor do present day young people know about it as much as classic rock artists. Do they think Barbra Streisand is 90? How about Stevie Nicks? Plus, it was simple knowledge about 78RPM records. Miss Ross may no longer be young but 90? That was just a rude and ignorant answer, IMHO. Glad he ended up with $0 after his answer.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 07-06-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Diane and Diana Ross are one and the same person. While she may take exception to being called Diane by anyone but those close to her, I can't say there's any evidence that she for sure finds "Diane" objectionable by those outside of her friends and family circle. Of all the stories about her diva antics, I can't think of one about her tripping over the name Diane. Maybe she does, I just don't know that to be true. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the fans who get annoyed by it more than she ever would. After all, it was the name her beloved mother wanted her to have in the first place. I can imagine DianE being very proud of that, particularly at this stage of her life.

But to be on the safe side, if you ever encounter her, it's Miss Ross. She may be 90 to some, and 78 to others, but I bet she can still swing a mighty right hook if you cross the line.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Diane and Diana Ross are one and the same person. While she may take exception to being called Diane by anyone but those close to her, I can't say there's any evidence that she for sure finds "Diane" objectionable by those outside of her friends and family circle. Of all the stories about her diva antics, I can't think of one about her tripping over the name Diane. Maybe she does, I just don't know that to be true. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the fans who get annoyed by it more than she ever would. After all, it was the name her beloved mother wanted her to have in the first place. I can imagine DianE being very proud of that, particularly at this stage of her life.

But to be on the safe side, if you ever encounter her, it's Miss Ross. She may be 90 to some, and 78 to others, but I bet she can bstill swing a mighty right hook if you cross the line.
    Hi Ranran, Yes, we don’t know how Diana feels about fans [or nonfans] calling her Diane. [Unless someone close to her can tell us here ��] You have a point about her beloved mother. I like the name my parents gave me but prefer a shortened version, from friends or strangers.
    Believe me, if I ever get to meet her, I will call her Miss Ross!
    Last edited by lucky2012; 07-06-2022 at 12:45 PM.

No one should dare call her anything but Miss Ross to her face. She's said it herself, she likes to be addressed that way, out of respect. I've heard her contemporaries call her Diana, but even folks like Brandy and Mariah always refer to her as Miss. It's like meeting the queen. Would you call her Liz?

But to be on the safe side, if you ever encounter her, it's Miss Ross. She may be 90 to some, and 78 to others, but I bet she can still swing a mighty right hook if you cross the line.
    I always have thought of her as Diane. Actually, I think Diana is her real name. I grew up in Detroit and I guess the feeling was that she was a "hometown girl" and most people referred to her as Diane. The late Marv Davis, who also grew up in my home town, also referred to her as Diane, I believe for largely the same reasons.

In the early days, she always referred to herself that way in introductions including I think on the Copa album.

Just one of those celebrities who I'm sure I'll never meet but who somehow I feel that I know in some way because we share a common background, I guess. It isn't intended to be disrespectful in any way; quite the opposite, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Believe me, if I ever get to meet her, I will call her Miss Ross!
    That's the only smart move my friend. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I always have thought of her as Diane. Actually, I think Diana is her real name. I grew up in Detroit and I guess the feeling was that she was a "hometown girl" and most people referred to her as Diane. The late Marv Davis, who also grew up in my home town, also referred to her as Diane, I believe for largely the same reasons.

In the early days, she always referred to herself that way in introductions including I think on the Copa album.

Just one of those celebrities who I'm sure I'll never meet but who somehow I feel that I know in some way because we share a common background, I guess. It isn't intended to be disrespectful in any way; quite the opposite, in fact.
    Well to be fair, your reasons for doing it and Marv's reasons for doing it were very, very different.

Diana is the name on her birth certificate, but it was a clerical error. Her parents always intended for her to be Diane and that's what they called her. I definitely understand how you feel about the name. I don't see it any different than fans who call Whitney Houston "Nippy" or fans, like myself, who affectionately call Aretha "Ree". Now in Diana's case, there are clearly people who use Diane in an unaffectionate manner, but I didn't take your post as something disrespectful.

Well to be fair, your reasons for doing it and Marv's reasons for doing it were very, very different.

Diana is the name on her birth certificate, but it was a clerical error. Her parents always intended for her to be Diane and that's what they called her. I definitely understand how you feel about the name. I don't see it any different than fans who call Whitney Houston "Nippy" or fans, like myself, who affectionately call Aretha "Ree". Now in Diana's case, there are clearly people who use Diane in an unaffectionate manner, but I didn't take your post as something disrespectful.
    First paragraph, pretty funny.

Diana got a book written about her with the title "Call Her Miss Ross". In today's world, that alone will cause some people to want to call her Diana or Diane, just to even things up a little iota.

I wish I could believe that Marv looked down and saw Diana at Glastonbury and that he spoke to Mary in the beyond but unfortunately, I don't believe.

You know, I miss Marv at times like this!

He would have had a field day with this. And Roberta and others would have rightfully admonished him!!! Lol. The “good ole days”.

@thanxal...how right you are...K

Oddly enough so do I dear. LOL

Its been told and retold that allegedly "Diane" had Marv removed from a concert in Colorado cause he would stop taking flash photos during the show and it was hurting her eyes. From that day on Miss Marv turned on Diana Ross like Bette Davis turn on Joan Crawford. marv went onto say hed never ever ever ever been to Denver but then posted somewhere "when i was at university in Denver" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Yep.........he was certainly a character and a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Its been told and retold that allegedly "Diane" had Marv removed from a concert in Colorado cause he would stop taking flash photos during the show and it was hurting her eyes. From that day on Miss Marv turned on Diana Ross like Bette Davis turn on Joan Crawford. marv went onto say hed never ever ever ever been to Denver but then posted somewhere "when i was at university in Denver" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Yep.........he was certainly a character and a whole lot more.

Now, I had never heard that one before! Maybe that preceded my joining SDF...I'm pretty sure I would've remembered hearing that.

Thanks, Dear Friend.

Wow
    you still can’t let up.

RIP Marv!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Wow
    you still can’t let up.

RIP Marv!

If you are addressing me with your "you cant let up" comment. Just be direct and say my name.

Thank you.

Wow Roberta75, you still can’t let up.
    RIP marv !

Wow Roberta75, you still can’t let up.
    RIP marv !
    Now that's better dear. But you are wrong............I only think good thoughts about Marv and actually do miss sparring with him.

I miss the occasional sparring with him as well. I used to tease him about his anti-Diana positions, even to the point where he couldn’t even admit that she was a good looking woman. He took it pretty well I have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Now that's better dear. But you are wrong............I only think good thoughts about Marv and actually do miss sparring with him.
    Have you ever apologized dear to Luke for your insinuations about him and Marv while you were enjoying your ‘ sparring ‘

Have you ever apologized dear to Luke for your insinuations about him and Marv while you were enjoying your ‘ sparring ‘
    I cant think who Luke is dear? Did they date?

Perhaps the contestant was thinking of this song with the number rounded down to 99

https://youtu.be/CrtQs88JWyI

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Perhaps the contestant was thinking of this song with the number rounded down to 99

https://youtu.be/CrtQs88JWyI
    I've never seen that before. Such a classic song. Which film is that from?

I've never seen that before. Such a classic song. Which film is that from?
    It’s from Diana’s 1987 TV special “Red Hot Rhythm & Blues.”

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I have always thought that Diana singing with a gospel choir is a wonderful combination and this performance just proves it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thanks @sansradio...K