[REMOVE ADS]

Phyllis Hyman would have turned 73 tomorrow [[Wednesday the 6th)

Thanks to a couple of reminders here and there.......most recently a nice tribute today from Soul Tracks.........we can perhaps pause to remember the stunning Phyllis, who left us so tragically 27 years ago last week.

Considering that many of our icons have recorded and performed well into their 70s and even 80s, it makes you stop and think about how much more of her talent she could have shared with us, and might still be sharing, if she had not been overtaken by her mental illness.

If you have not done so, pick up a copy of the box set, which will help you remember [[or I guess in some cases "discover") her vast talent. I think that set can be found if you shop wisely for well under $50 US funds.

Yes indeed; Phyllis Hyman would've still be recording, performing [and perhaps acting in movies] if she were still with us today. Continue to Rest In Music & Power, Phyllis.

Thank you, David. Yes, I too also think about all of the music she could have gone on to create, and the life she would have lead, if she had still been with us today. She was so immensely talented and beautiful. Being a younger fan of hers, I discovered her when her Unsung episode aired. I wish I could have seen her live. I've been fortunate to become friends with some of her 'old friends', over the years, who have happily shared stories of her with me. One of them passed on a couple of years ago.

Yes, despite the fact that I already had all of her albums on individual CD's, the recent box set is fantastic. There is also a double vinyl set coming out next month, featuring her Buddah/Arista years tracks, called "The Essential Phyllis Hyman".

I remember seeing Phyliss at a small club in Coconut Grove, Fla. back in the 70's. I think she was basically an unknown at the time. I had no idea who she was, but thought she'd
    go places. And she most certainly did.

I have listened to Phyllis more than any other single artist in the last two years. I even read her biography again. I am completely enthralled by the majesty of her musical legacy. I am captivated by songs I'd never listened to before. I am still discovering her, decades after buying "Living All Alone" the week of its release.

Still, it is bittersweet because I can't help but think of all she could have done and all the rewards she would have reaped if she were still here today.