[REMOVE ADS]

Baby It's Me - what might have made it a hit?

i think BIM is a gorgeous album but unfortunately released swept aside by the explosion of Saturday Night Fever. BIM was released in mid-Sept 77 but the first single Gettin' Ready for Love didn't come out until mid Oct. How Deep Is Your Love from the SNF was released late Sept and the album came out in Nov.

Randy wrote about how, given the lack of an advance single release, there was confusion over what to push. radio stations started playing various tracks until Motown eventually released GRFL.

was that the best choice for first single?

wonder what might have happened had a single been released in the summer? the recording took place in spring 77 so if they'd moved a bit faster maybe something could have clicked

also what about the alt tracks? the album is gorgeously polished but could some of the other tracks have added some levity and fun to the package?

BIM is one of my favorite albums by Diana. I honestly wouldn't change a track on it. Faves of mine are the title track, GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE, TOP OF THE WORLD, ALL NIGHT LOVER, CONFIDE IN ME, and THE SAME LOVE THAT MADE ME LAUGH. Just a great album all around. I always point to the example of Raquel Welch appearing on [[I believe) THE MUPPET SHOW and every song she sang was from BIM.

Re release dates, it is too bad that the album wasn't recorded until Spring 1977. If it had been recorded earlier, maybe they could have released it to coincide with Diana's 1977 TV special. But then again, that would have been only two months after the live album.

Re singles, I think GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE was a great choice. I remember hearing it quite a bit on the radio, even the morning that I bought the album. I prefer the mix of the song that appears on Diana's 1983 ANTHOLOGY. It brings up the bass and has a longer fade. But in hindsight, maybe they should have gone with YOUR LOVE IS SO GOOD FOR ME and built on the disco audience that had been gained with her previous releases LOVE HANGOVER and ONE LOVE IN MY LIFETIME.

Re promotion, I would have thought that by this time Motown should have realized that more should be done. To my knowledge, Diana never did any tv to publicize this album. Granted, she was busy with THE WIZ but still. A quick appearance on some of the morning shows or THE TONIGHT SHOW might have helped.

Still, the album hit #18 on the pop album chart. How long did it last on the chart?

Motown picked the wrong songs for singles from this album.

I would have picked “Top Of The World” as the lead single. A missed opportunity on Motown’s part. “All Night Lover” was a great throwback sound to her Supremes days that could have done very well as a follow-up. “You Got It” had great potential too but the intro would have to be remixed, redone as it sounds a bit ominous.

Motown screwed up promotion. End of story. That's it.

BIM was an excellent album. So very well done. Some of Diana's absolute best work. My absolute favs are "You Got It", "The Same Love", "Come In Out of the Rain", "Confide", "Too Shy".

Had Motown been on top of things, singles wise, the album would have been a smash. I think most of the singles were right. I have never liked "Your Love Is So Good For Me" and am not convinced that it would have done better than it did with better promotion, but that could be my bias against it talking. I think "The Same Love" would have made a better single. But of the three other singles released, I think they all had potential to do better than they did had Motown taken the project seriously.

The only one of the outtakes that I love is "Baby I Love Your Way". I play it often. It's the only one of the outtakes that I think is good enough to make the final album, replacing- betcha didn't see this one coming- "Your Love Is So Good For Me". I can't wait until we finally get the Diana/Billy Preston version of "Room Enough". The Diana only version is okay, but I wonder if she and Billy together raise the likable factor.

To echo Reese, Diana promoting the album on TV would have also gone a long way to it's success. As is, #18 pop and #7 r&b isn't anything to sneeze at, considering how messed up the single schedule was. Just think how better those numbers would have been if all the stops were pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Motown picked the wrong songs for singles from this album.

I would have picked “Top Of The World” as the lead single. A missed opportunity on Motown’s part. “All Night Lover” was a great throwback sound to her Supremes days that could have done very well as a follow-up. “You Got It” had great potential too but the intro would have to be remixed, redone as it sounds a bit ominous.
    I think "All Night Lover" would have had to undergo a considerable remix job to be a worthy single. As is, it is a great album cut, and the Supremes throwback might have gone down well with the public. But there's something too light weight about it. It would've needed some beefing up.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think "All Night Lover" would have had to undergo a considerable remix job to be a worthy single. As is, it is a great album cut, and the Supremes throwback might have gone down well with the public. But there's something too light weight about it. It would've needed some beefing up.
    Parts of ALL NIGHT LOVER reminded me of I HEAR A SYMPHONY.

Considering Diana never promoted this album, it is interesting that she featured three of its tracks during her TOUR 79 presentation: TOO SHY TO SAY, GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE, and ALL NIGHT LOVER.

I agree that the tracks selected are the right ones but I like some of the EE versions of those tracks. The strings on the opening of Getting Ready - wow!!!! Talk about elevating a song and just giving it some bang!!!

I have never been a huge fan of Your Love but it’s ok. Previously i wasn’t too bowled over by the title track. But the EE version has more spark.

I wonder if the title track coudl have been a single. Getting Ready is excellent [[EE version). And then follow up w BIM. Since Your Love isn’t a powerhouse disco track maybe go in a different direction w a funky tune

" All Night Lover" as the flip side to the Stevie Wonder song, "Too Shy To Say" should have been the first to be released as a single.

Baby It’s Me is one of my absolute favorite Diana albums and GRFL one of my favorite singles. The EE alternate version is awesome. If I could change the promotion of the album I would have released GRFL late in the summer, ahead of the LP to build a little anticipation. Top Of The World would have been my pick as a second single with a promotional video.

Music videos were very new in 1977. If Motown had been a bit more forward in their thinking a video of TOTW would have built excitement and continued the promotional momentum.

All the songs on BIM could have been singles. Leave it to Motown to sabotage album sales by choosing the first two singles that are of genres not the most radio-friendly: show-tunes and disco.

GRFL was the wrong lead-off single for this album. It's a perfect Diana Ross song but tailored more for her Vegas and nightclub act than for heavy-rotation on Pop radio. The same with the disco-oriented YLISGFM - neither enough spark for the radio nor for the dance floor, as I recall.

Although You Got It, as the third single, did no better on the chart than YLISGFM I think it might have fared better as the lead-off single. Up to this point, apart from TMITM and Mahogany, most of Diana's US radio hits have been uptempo and energetic. YGI has a sweet quiet melody that might have received more attention as a single when the album was first released. The second single should have been the title track. Baby It's Me is almost a hint of what Diana would sound like in 1980 with her Chic album. Again, something different from Diana rather than the typical. Even if neither of these songs were big hits it would have at least introduced many to a different sound from Diana Ross and piqued their curiosity to buy the album.

For the more familiar sound of Diana I think TOTW should have been the third single. Too bad the release was cancelled. For me this song has the same vibe as Everything Is Good About You. ANL is also retro-Supremes but probably better as an enjoyable album cut.

Reese, BIM was on the charts for 19 weeks.

BIM entered the charts quickly - just 3 weeks or so after being released. that's faster then most, usually its 4 - 5 weeks before it enters

and it entered the chart high at number 62, the highest entry of any prior DR album except Greatest Hits which entered at 61. it moved pretty quickly but then stalled

62-42-36-32-28-24-22-20-18-18-26-24-24-39-68-90-142-190

it's like it started super strong in Week 1, a good jump in week 2 and then *plop* really nothing. just sort of slowly bobbled around the 20s, peaking at 18. Certainly not a terrible showing - it bested her debut album which peaked at 19. but it stayed on the charts for 28 weeks.

maybe because radio was playing so many different tunes off of it because motown waited to release a single, listeners became familiar with a bunch of the songs and sought out the album.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

Reese, BIM was on the charts for 19 weeks.
    Thanks for the info.

Almost five months. Not bad at all, especially considering the second and third singles each stalled in the pop Top 50. But I did read that YOU GOT IT hit the Top 5 on the Adult Contemporary chart.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Almost five months. Not bad at all, especially considering the second and third singles each stalled in the pop Top 50. But I did read that YOU GOT IT hit the Top 5 on the Adult Contemporary chart.
    You Got It peaked at #9 on the AC chart. It was on the chart for 13 weeks.

Getting Ready had similar numbers, peaked at #8, 14 weeks on the chart.

I never think of referring to the AC Billboard chart book by Joel Whitburn. Thanks for the nudge, Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    You Got It peaked at #9 on the AC chart. It was on the chart for 13 weeks.

Getting Ready had similar numbers, peaked at #8, 14 weeks on the chart.

I never think of referring to the AC Billboard chart book by Joel Whitburn. Thanks for the nudge, Reese.
    No problem. I always like looking through those books. But at this point, I have so many that they are stacked on top of each other. It is easier to ask one of you guys to look it up for me.

Ha! Mine are prominent in my book case. I haven't bought any in years since I don't follow new music. I am always intrigued by the numerous emails I receive from Record Research. Recently, upon Joel's passing I was tempted to get a few more. I counted that I already had 25, so I held off with new purchases. They're so damn expensive.

Diana Ross' version of "Baby, I Love Your Way" is a great performance by Ms. Ross. Did Richard Perry produce it? Why wasn't it included in BIM. BIM deserves 5 stars. BRAVO, Diana Ross and Richard Perry and all the great musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Diana Ross' version of "Baby, I Love Your Way" is a great performance by Ms. Ross. Did Richard Perry produce it? Why wasn't it included in BIM. BIM deserves 5 stars. BRAVO, Diana Ross and Richard Perry and all the great musicians.
    yep Diana's version was produced by Perry. there are 4 tracks that we know of that were not included on the lp

Baby I love your way
    brass band
    country john
    room enough for two

BILYW - is smooth and elegant, could have easily fit

Brass Band - a more up tempo song but the lyrics are a little more corny. but not too bad. a disco-lite number. this would have definitely given the album a more clearcut disco and dance number. but it isn't really a lost hit

Country John - more camp, with an obvious country spin. could have added some more light hearted fun to the album but it sort of sticks out against the elegance of the lp

Room enough for two - a funkier number. this might have been a stronger choice to add in versus Brass Band or Country. it would have given you another fun and funky number along with the title track. so that could have helped balance the album a little more

Had this album been ready straight away after LH, but no, we had to wait a year to get this beautiful album. By then Linda R was queen of pop

A superb adult contemporary album, that was lacking in potential hit singles. I think Gordy’s decision to release “Getting Ready For Love” was the right one.
    Diana’s ballads have always been popular in the UK, so the poignant “To Shy To Say” might have been a wise choice for second single.
    “Top Of The World” didn’t even chart when released as a single in the UK, while “All Night Lover” doesn't possess enough oomph to make it a hit single. I remember “Top Of The World” being described as a nursery rhyme set to music by music mag Black Echoes. The album sadly died a death in the UK.
    Hit singles aside, BIM forever remains one of Diana’s most loved albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A superb adult contemporary album, that was lacking in potential hit singles. I think Gordy’s decision to release “Getting Ready For Love” was the right one.
    Diana’s ballads have always been popular in the UK, so the poignant “To Shy To Say” might have been a wise choice for second single.
    “Top Of The World” didn’t even chart when released as a single in the UK, while “All Night Lover” doesn't possess enough oomph to make it a hit single. I remember “Top Of The World” being described as a nursery rhyme set to music by music mag Black Echoes. The album sadly died a death in the UK.
    Hit singles aside, BIM forever remains one of Diana’s most loved albums.
    but Upside Down was almost literally written as a nursery rhyme for her girls and it was huge.

your point though about the overall concept of the album being it's strength is very valid. it's amazing as a whole rather than as individual tunes. whereas other projects has standout hits that were nicely surrounded on the lp by nice enough tunes.

again the problem here is timing. Perry is an amazing producer but he's all pop and rock. he was never even a remote force in disco. so his work with Diana certainly highlights his pop strength but was completely wrong for the time.

it's almost like we should flip BIM and The Boss. The Boss was released in the summer of 79 and also in that summer was the launch of the "disco sucks" event. you also had other genres emerging more in the mainstream world like New Wave and rock coming back. So if The Boss had been released in 77 it could have been massive. and then in 79 you go more pop and rock with BIM.

imagine going from the singles of LH to One Love in My Lifetime to The Boss and then perhaps Once In the Morning or No One Gets the Prize damn!!!! diana would have completely de-throned Donna as queen of disco lol

“Top Of The World” didn’t even chart when released as a single in the UK, while “All Night Lover” doesn't possess enough oomph to make it a hit single. The album sadly died a death in the UK.
    I personally like All Night Lover.

While Top Of The World didn't make the Official UK Chart compiled by BMRB in 1978 Gallup was running a pilot scheme in its long-running bid to take over the chart franchise.

World made #62 on it.

Baby It's Me was a strange one.

On the face of it, it would appear to have been a flop but it sold far better than most of Diana's studio albums in the UK.

Apart from several albums with big hit singles on them Diana wasn't really a big album seller in the UK [[apart from compilations), even the world beater Diana only sold around 125k [[less then Why Do Fools fall In Love).

Although it was one of only a few albums not to chart the BMRB supplied a monthly top 200 album chart to the Record Industry and BIM was in this for October, November and December 1978 so it was hovering just outside the chart for quite a long period.

It sold over 85k which in UK terms is a big sale for her.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    but Upside Down was almost literally written as a nursery rhyme for her girls and it was huge.

your point though about the overall concept of the album being it's strength is very valid. it's amazing as a whole rather than as individual tunes. whereas other projects has standout hits that were nicely surrounded on the lp by nice enough tunes.

again the problem here is timing. Perry is an amazing producer but he's all pop and rock. he was never even a remote force in disco. so his work with Diana certainly highlights his pop strength but was completely wrong for the time.

it's almost like we should flip BIM and The Boss. The Boss was released in the summer of 79 and also in that summer was the launch of the "disco sucks" event. you also had other genres emerging more in the mainstream world like New Wave and rock coming back. So if The Boss had been released in 77 it could have been massive. and then in 79 you go more pop and rock with BIM.

imagine going from the singles of LH to One Love in My Lifetime to The Boss and then perhaps Once In the Morning or No One Gets the Prize damn!!!! diana would have completely de-throned Donna as queen of disco lol
    “Upside Down is a funky little affair, with great hook line and brilliant guitar riffs. “Top Of The World” could only ever best be described as a slick little pop number.
    Given the huge success of “LH”, you would have thought Motown might have pushed her more in that direction. Allowing for music trends of that time frame, It’s rather odd she ended up being paired with RP.
    As opposed to after “The Boss”, i think BIM” would have made for a brilliant follow up to the “diana” album. It certainly displays heaps more class then the woeful “WDFFIL”.

BIM is a good album. I particularly like her vocals on "Too Shy To Say" and "Come In From The Rain." Richard Perry knew how to showcase the loveliest bits of her vocal range.

There are no "hit-worthy" tracks on BIM, it is really an album for her fanbase. "Top of the World" is nice but not nearly stirring and strident enough to take her to the charts. She recovered her commercial stride nicely with "The Boss."

“Upside Down is a funky little affair, with great hook line and brilliant guitar riffs. “Top Of The World” could only ever best be described as a slick little pop number.
    Given the huge success of “LH”, you would have thought Motown might have pushed her more in that direction. Allowing for music trends of that time frame, It’s rather odd she ended up being paired with RP.
    As opposed to after “The Boss”, i think BIM” would have made for a brilliant follow up to the “diana” album. It certainly displays heaps more class then the woeful “WDFFIL”.
    exactly BIM could have worked in 74 or 75, the early 80s. and maybe in those years, a song like GRFL or TOTW would have hit. at least gone into top 20. there isn't a #1 on the album by any means.

and maybe we're judging it mostly on it's ability/inability to produce a big chart single. clearly the album itself sold decently enough, based on the chart performance. and we've all been saying it's the power of the whole rather than the separate tunes. so the album DID sell pretty well i'm guessing.

so maybe the idea of it being a blown opportunity isn't exactly true

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    exactly BIM could have worked in 74 or 75, the early 80s. and maybe in those years, a song like GRFL or TOTW would have hit. at least gone into top 20. there isn't a #1 on the album by any means.

and maybe we're judging it mostly on it's ability/inability to produce a big chart single. clearly the album itself sold decently enough, based on the chart performance. and we've all been saying it's the power of the whole rather than the separate tunes. so the album DID sell pretty well i'm guessing.

so maybe the idea of it being a blown opportunity isn't exactly true
    Perhaps as Flo mentioned, it sold steadily over a longer period, at least in the UK. Generally It seems to have got lost in all the hoopla surrounding The Wiz.
    I wonder Diana’s true feelings in the album?. I remember Bluebrock mentioning she wasn’t particularly fond of it.
    My parents took me to see Diana in concert May 78 when “Your Love Is So Good For Me” had just been released as her latest single. It was mentioned in the press that she never once referred to BIM, let alone perform any of its songs. I seem to remember her talking extensively about the Wiz in a question and answer section.

i love this album and feel its filled with Ross gems, Gettin ready for love,comein from the rain,all night lover ,but i actually like every song.
    it didnt get very much pr here and seemed to get lost in the Wiz ,which is a film i wish Diana had stayed away from

I just realised it has been EIGHT years since the EE was released digitally and we still don't have a CD [[or vinyl) version! Shame on Universal!

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    I just realised it has been EIGHT years since the EE was released digitally and we still don't have a CD [[or vinyl) version! Shame on Universal!
    True but we did get a special pink vinyl edition.

This is my very favorite Ross solo album. It should have done better.

TSTS would have been a good single release in the UK. However, I feel it would have needed a slight remix to reduce the overbearing instrumental presence towards the end of the song.

Out of the songs in the LP, Your Love Is So Good For Me had the most potential. Too Shy To Say was great, but it seemed to need some retooling. She got a Grammy nod for it, but still in between Love Hangover and The Boss she seemed to hit more of a valley than a peak, regardless of the quality of the content of what she released.

Here is what I have for Baby it's me running charts

Billboard : 62- 42- 36-32-31-24-22-20-18-18-26-24-24-24-39-68-90-142-190

Billboard R&B : 50-35-23-15-11-9-7-7-10-13-19-24-24-34-42-42-52

Cashbox : 75-64-55-43-30-23-22-21-36-36-59-63-81-91-106-112-121-127-134-142-159

Cashbox R&B : 48-34-25-19-13-10-6-4-4-6-16-37-50-62-66-66-71-71

I was looking up the Greasy Lake Forum to see what sales they estimated for BIM but it seems to have been disbanded.

I think it was a very solid album, good tracks but there just wasn't that smash hit among them.

For the UK I really don't see Too Shy To Say as a hit single.

Gettin' Ready For Love was radio-friendly, probably the best choice and was a medium sized hit for Diana - the other two singles they released here Your Love and Top Of The World were just outside the chart but wasn't this the period Bluebrock said there was someone with influence in the record company actively trying to sabotage her career here?

All Night Lover was worth a punt.

My two cents is that it was a pretty good album, but it lacked a slam dunk hit. if for 45 years people are still discussing what the single release should have been, it might be that there was no clear choice. That’s my view. There’s something wrong with every single cut that makes it an imperfect choice.

Gettin Ready has an amazing track, but the chorus is slightly sophomoric lyrically and melodically. She certainly gives it all she’s got. B

You Got It would edit down beautifully to about 3:15 with a highly truncated intro and elimination of the change leading into, “keep it coming don’t stop now, “which is great if you’re in songwriting 101, but with that taken out, it’s a fairly tight single except going back into the chorus for the fade it’s kind of anti-climactic. B

Baby It’s Me was ahead of its time for sure, but may have caught on and hit big. It also could’ve been completely ignored by radio. I think the way to handle this would to have put the single out, with no fanfare for an album whatsoever and see what happens. It hit, print the labels and put the album out. If it didn’t do well, don’t follow up with another single for a couple months, released the album with a different title, and pretend it never got released at all. B

Top Of The World I believe is the most radio friendly of the bunch. If you could get past the first 35 seconds you have a perfectly crafted record for radio. I’m too familiar with the song to gauge how the intro works on this one, but by the time it gets to the first chorus, it’s a radio hit. The intro could be cut in half, but I’m not sure that it needs it. This song will never be song of the year, but I think with a little push it is definitely top-five and might go all the way. Still, it’s no Love Hangover or ANMHE. A-

Your Love Is So Good For Me Is a perfectly fine run-of-the-mill disco record that will never be voted Miss Originality. I just don’t think it’s special enough for radio. C

All Night Lover has a lot going for it like that Supremesey Motown swing, but a lot of the lyrics sound like it was written by a thesaurus. It moves along nicely, but repetitively until that break crescendo, where it’s one big let down after that. I think it needed to finish with a more highly charged close then just going back to the original, same as the last three minutes, Uber repeated chorus. Lots of appeal, perhaps too much banality for radio. C+.

The Same Love That Made Me Laugh I think is unique enough, and entertaining enough to go top 10, except there’s no finish. It just kind of goes limp and goes home. Otherwise I believe it would be a very strong contender for a single B- - -

Come In From The Rain it’s a beautiful song, beautifully produced, impeccably sung but at four minutes, might be a little slow. Perhaps a slight increase in speed and a little tightening, at 3:35 or 340, and we need to get to number one, or number 63. I’m not sure the pace would convince programmers to add it, But her vocal pulls you in from the beginning. A-

Too Shy To Say is a nice track, a good song, perhaps a little schmaltzy, but I don’t hear it on Pop radio. D

Confide In Me. It’s a nice track that would never get a spin at a radio station. F

so I guess what I would’ve done is leak the title track and see what happens. if it hit, I would release the album baby it’s me. If it didn’t, I would release nothing for three months and probably come out with top of the world first, from the album Come In From The Rain

If both of those hit, I would’ve tried a truncated you got it. Which would have to make or break quickly because ease on down the road it would be coming out very soon.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 07-14-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    My two cents is that it was a pretty good album, but it lacked a slam dunk hit. if for 45 years people are still discussing what the single release should have been, it might be that there was no clear choice. That’s my view. There’s something wrong with every single cut that makes it an imperfect choice.

Gettin Ready has an amazing track, but the chorus is slightly sophomoric lyrically and melodically. She certainly gives it all she’s got. B

You Got It would edit down beautifully to about 3:15 with a highly truncated intro and elimination of the change leading into, “keep it coming don’t stop now, “which is great if you’re in songwriting 101, but with that taken out, it’s a fairly tight single except going back into the chorus for the fade it’s kind of anti-climactic. B

Baby It’s Me was ahead of its time for sure, but may have caught on and hit big. It also could’ve been completely ignored by radio. I think the way to handle this would to have put the single out, with no fanfare for an album whatsoever and see what happens. It hit, print the labels and put the album out. If it didn’t do well, don’t follow up with another single for a couple months, released the album with a different title, and pretend it never got released at all. B

Top Of The World I believe is the most radio friendly of the bunch. If you could get past the first 35 seconds you have a perfectly crafted record for radio. I’m too familiar with the song to gauge how the intro works on this one, but by the time it gets to the first chorus, it’s a radio hit. The intro could be cut in half, but I’m not sure that it needs it. This song will never be song of the year, but I think with a little push it is definitely top-five and might go all the way. Still, it’s no Love Hangover or ANMHE. A-

Your Love Is So Good For Me Is a perfectly fine run-of-the-mill disco record that will never be voted Miss Originality. I just don’t think it’s special enough for radio. C

All Night Lover has a lot going for it like that Supremesey Motown swing, but a lot of the lyrics sound like it was written by a thesaurus. It moves along nicely, but repetitively until that break crescendo, where it’s one big let down after that. I think it needed to finish with a more highly charged close then just going back to the original, same as the last three minutes, Uber repeated chorus. Lots of appeal, perhaps too much banality for radio. C+.

The Same Love That Made Me Laugh I think is unique enough, and entertaining enough to go top 10, except there’s no finish. It just kind of goes limp and goes home. Otherwise I believe it would be a very strong contender for a single B- - -

Come In From The Rain it’s a beautiful song, beautifully produced, impeccably sung but at four minutes, might be a little slow. Perhaps a slight increase in speed and a little tightening, at 3:35 or 340, and we need to get to number one, or number 63. I’m not sure the pace would convince programmers to add it, But her vocal pulls you and from the beginning But her vocal Pauls you and from the beginning. A-

Too Shy To Say is a nice track, a good song, perhaps a little schmaltzy, but I don’t hear it on Pop radio. D

Confide In Me. It’s a nice track that would never get a spin at a radio station. F

so I guess what I would’ve done is leak the title track and see what happens. if it hit, I would release the album baby it’s me. If it didn’t, I would release nothing for three months and probably come out with top of the world first, from the album Come In From The Rain

If both of those hit, I would’ve tried a truncated you got it. Which would have to make or break quickly because ease on down the road it would be coming out very soon.
    An interesting review, and one i mostly agree with. I’ve always thought BIM deserved to be tested as a single. It’s more in keeping with the funk sound of “Love Hangover”, and would probably have sounded great on radio circa 77. I can envisage Diana doing a great job performing the song live.
    Never underestimate the power of a DR ballad, making “To Shy To Say” and “Come In From The Rain” solid choices for the UK. Not so sure about the USA though.

Probably my favorite Diana Ross album. I love this album. But as much as I love GRFL. It was not the right choice to lead this album. YGI or TOTW should have been the lead single. Even “All night lover” would have been a better choice. I remember being at the record store and some young teenage kids were talking about Diana Ross’ new single and how they didn’t care for it. “Getting ready for love“ was not radio friendly for the kids at the time at all.

[QUOTE=vgalindo;711353]Probably my favorite Diana Ross album. I love this album. But as much as I love GRFL. It was not the right choice to lead this album. YGI or TOTW should have been the lead single. Even “All night lover” would have been a better choice. I remember being at the record store and some young teenage kids were talking about Diana Ross’ new single and how they didn’t care for it. “Getting ready for Love

We seem to all agree on this topic. BIM is a good lp but not among Ross's best. It was marketed wrong. Though disco was the rage, with the exception of LH Diana's biggest successed were ballads. She had made that cross to POP/Soul and now MOR.

GRFL is a nice song, but sounds dated and not very commercial. The second single was just cheap disco. You Got It had single potential but not as the lead off the lp.

Soul Train was playing a lot of The Same Love That Made Me Laugh as was FM radio. To me this was the lead single. Ross sounds good, great track and was danceable. Bill Withers did the song a year or two earlier but it tanked so no one was aware of it. After this should have been TOTW which Motown issued as a promotional single so it was definitely on their minds to issue it. YGI would have been the third hit.

Many like All Night Lover, but it too sounds aged.

i've always thoroughly loved the Perry produced Martha Reeves album. although commercially a flop, its a true testament to her ability and talent. and supposedly Berry was so impressed with it that he told Perry he wanted him to do the same with Diana. But on the Martha album you have a stronger sound and some grit. there's some oomph to it and a bit of a rock and roll sensibility. there are definitely several obvious tracks that jump out and should have been singles [[even though what they eventually selected as the lead single wasn't one of those)

with BIM you have more of just glossy pop. the overall set is very enjoyable but i don't think you have anything substantial enough to really "wow" someone or something that leaps out as a HIT. yet the whole set is strong and great to listen to

so in that analysis, is BIM Diana's version of the Floy Joy album? a cohesive and enjoyable concept. all of it is easy on the ears, boarderline easy listening. you can listen from beginning to end and appreciate the overall experience. excellent production, excellent vocals, excellent ambiance. but nothing the explodes forth

I think Baby It’s Me is a great album. My favourites are "All Night Lover", "You Got It" and "Gettin' Ready For Love". And "Top Of The World" is very nice as well.

I think "Gettin Ready" is the only real single on the album, so Motown did right by me. In the UK it made #23 [its highest international pop chart place]. The 2014 mix from the expanded edition is especially awesome.

I actually think a lot of the tracks on the LP have a retro feel. The one that sounds newest [synthy] is probably "Your Love Is So Good For Me", which is a fun but not particularly exceptional disco tune. "Baby It’s Me" is in that same category for me. I also like the unreleased "Baby I Love Your away"… very mellow and lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Here is what I have for Baby it's me running charts

Billboard : 62- 42- 36-32-31-24-22-20-18-18-26-24-24-24-39-68-90-142-190

Billboard R&B : 50-35-23-15-11-9-7-7-10-13-19-24-24-34-42-42-52

Cashbox : 75-64-55-43-30-23-22-21-36-36-59-63-81-91-106-112-121-127-134-142-159

Cashbox R&B : 48-34-25-19-13-10-6-4-4-6-16-37-50-62-66-66-71-71
    Thank you for posting these! Nothing tells the story better. I love reading them thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

“Baby I Love Your Way” appears to remain a fan favourite, with Diana’s vocal both delicate and appealing. It’s certainly very radio friendly and perhaps a little more contemporary sounding then the glitzy GRFL”.
    RP said it was his favourite song, and might have been a good choice for lead single had it been included on the album. Perhaps in place of “ConfideIn Me”.....

I'm not sure if Baby I love your way would have hit. Peter Frampton had a hit with it just a year earlier so it may have been too soon for a cover of it to be released as a single. Then again Ross' version is really good so maybe it might have hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'm not sure if Baby I love your way would have hit. Peter Frampton had a hit with it just a year earlier so it may have been too soon for a cover of it to be released as a single. Then again Ross' version is really good so maybe it might have hit?
    Perhaps in the UK where “Baby I Love Your Way” was only a minor hit for Frampton. Which version do you prefer?.

A catchy ballad and one of Diana's best vocal performances ever.

Diana ebbed and flowed in the UK and 1977/79 was a tough period for her so it's hard to know how it would have done as a single then - definitely top 40 in 1977 but how deep into it?

Radio 1 support would have been vital.

Up to mid-1976 defo top 20 or higher.

Perhaps in the UK where “Baby I Love Your Way” was only a minor hit for Frampton. Which version do you prefer?.
    I prefer Diana's version of Baby I Love your way to Frampton, Big Mountain and Will to Power.

I listened to the album just last night and thought again what a wonderful album it is, and a lot more cohesive than many of her other albums, but everyone above has already said what the matter with it was. No obvious hit single, the lack of proper promotion, the timing - how on earth did Motown not turn her into a proper disco diva when they could see how Donna Summer was taking off? [[Donna may have been the stronger singer of the two, but Diana was the better performer in my opinion), but at least the album was not a complete failure saleswise. Very baffled to know Diana does not rate it highly. Apart from Getting Ready For Love and Too Shy To Say, what other songs has she performed live from the album?

Quote Originally Posted by soren1974 View Post
    Apart from Getting Ready For Love and Too Shy To Say, what other songs has she performed live from the album?
    All Night Lover.

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO part two meets Sylvia:

lyrically a little low brow for diana imo ...

beautiful album,vocals
    motown dropped the ball.no pr at
    diana didnt promote the album either