[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight Concert | Royal Albert Hall | 29th June 2022

I went to that concert. She sounded good as you can tell from the video. The way she finished though was real odd. She did many of her hits and then she sat down and introduced a pianist. Suddenly we all recognised Hey Jude being played and we were singing along. The pianist did some more and then her backing singers took a turn. She sang We Are The Champions...that was a bit unexpected. She also did Someone To Watch Over Me which was really nice but I thought a rather strange choice. Then just as I was expecting Gladys to do another well known number like Help Me Make It Thru The Night and leave us all wanting for more, some guy approaches her from the sidings, Gladys took his arm and she briefly thanked us for coming and off she went. The next day's performance is on youtube
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 07-03-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Someone To Watch Over Me is from the We Love Ella album/video.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_All...t_Lady_of_Song

The song order was different to the previous night. She started with Love Overboard on 29 June.

I missed hearing the lower male voices of the Pips doing the vocal support and of course their superb and energetic dance routines

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Someone To Watch Over Me is from the We Love Ella album/video.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_All...t_Lady_of_Song
    It originally appeared on Gladys' jazz album from 2006, BEFORE ME. She has performed it often in concert since then, sometimes in a medley with other songs from BEFORE ME.

But when I saw Gladys in concert a few months ago, she sang it at the end of a gospel medley and it seemed as if she was referring to the "Someone" as God. I thought it was a strange choice for her gospel medley but given how great she still sounds, I'm likely to forgive Gladys for anything.
    Last edited by reese; 07-03-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It originally appeared on Gladys' jazz album from 2006, BEFORE ME. She has performed it often in concert since then, sometimes in a medley with other songs from BEFORE ME.

But when I saw Gladys in concert a few months, she sang it at the end of a gospel medley and it seemed as if she was referring to the "Someone" as God. I thought it was a strange choice for her gospel medley but given how great she still sounds, I'm likely to forgive Gladys for anything.
    She was in good voice when I saw her. But when I saw the youtube video I noticed that the vocal support was actually taking over her lines in some places. It didn't spoil it for me because I didn't even notice at the time but it brings it home to me that you gotta now see these artists sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    She was in good voice when I saw her. But when I saw the youtube video I noticed that the vocal support was actually taking over her lines in some places. It didn't spoil it for me because I didn't even notice at the time but it brings it home to me that you gotta now see these artists sooner rather than later.
    I agree. Whenever any of them are appearing near me, I take advantage of the opportunity to see them.

Reese

Does she sing songs like Everybody Needs Love The End Of Our Road Nitty Gritty If I Were Your Woman and Help Me Make It Through the Night in US concert?

Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me, Just Walk In My Shoes The Look Of Love and Help Me Make It Through the Night were all hits in the UK and she didn't sing any of those songs

I would have loved to go. Have really missed going to see my 60s r&b heroes. I get what you mean though re angling the set a little UK centric. The wonderful William Bell introduced Elouise [[Hang on in there) with a nod to UK mods of the 60s. He said it was his most requested song over here

Quote Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
    I would have loved to go. Have really missed going to see my 60s r&b heroes. I get what you mean though re angling the set a little UK centric. The wonderful William Bell introduced Elouise [[Hang on in there) with a nod to UK mods of the 60s. He said it was his most requested song over here
    Fab song...danced to Eloise many a time some 50 odd years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Reese

Does she sing songs like Everybody Needs Love The End Of Our Road Nitty Gritty If I Were Your Woman and Help Me Make It Through the Night in US concert?

Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me, Just Walk In My Shoes The Look Of Love and Help Me Make It Through the Night were all hits in the UK and she didn't sing any of those songs
    In the US, the Motown songs she may include are GRAPEVINE, NITTY GRITTY, FRIENDSHIP TRAIN, IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN, I DON'T WANT TO DO WRONG, HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT, and NEITHER ONE OF US.

The only ones that seem to be a given are GRAPEVINE and NEITHER ONE OF US, and she didn't even do GRAPEVINE the last time I saw her.

Thanks for posting! Love Gladys! I love all these ladies still giving us everything they got at 78+ years old -- Gladys, Patti, Ross, Dionne, Darlene Love, Freda Payne, etc. Their precedents were infirmed [[or sadly deceased) at these points in their careers.

Well ... for me, a gay man here in The States, the worst thing Gladys did was to join the LDS homophobic cult. Wonderful singer, but ... waterboarding-the-gay out of teens is were I jump ship.

I went to Gladys' show at the Royal Albert Hall on the 30th with my dad. She is still in great voice, and the first half of the show was pretty great! She opened with "Baby Don’t Change Your Mind", into "Come Back and Finish What You Started". Then a great version of "Love Overboard"!

She did an interesting version of "Grapevine", which started off like Marvin’s rendition but moved towards the Pips’ recording by the end. Both "Midnight Train to Georgia" and "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" were fab!

The second half, however, was quite… strange. The introduction of the guest pianist was a bit odd, although he was clearly very talented and helped Gladys out on a really nice version of "The Way We Were". He was very expressive with his playing [or as my dad said, a bit over the top! ]

I could just about deal with the Beatles' "Hey Jude" [na-na-na-na!] but Queen's "We are the Champions" was quite bizarre. And to END with gospel songs was a really strange choice, and, honestly, quite disappointing. I genuinely thought she'd close with "Bourgie Bourgie" or something fun, then introduce the band and the singers, and that would be it!

I also found it quite odd that the backing singers sat down for almost all of the show, while Gladys was up and singing!! I think they only stood up for the last or second last song [neither of which were particularly upbeat].

Although the first half was good and overall I’m glad I went, I left feeling a bit disappointed. There was something a bit off about the whole show. I think maybe it just wasn’t what I was expecting! But hey ho!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-04-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I went to Gladys' show at the Royal Albert Hall on the 30th with my dad. She is still in great voice, and the first half of the show was pretty great! She opened with "Baby Don’t Change Your Mind", into "Come Back and Finish What You Started". Then a great version of "Love Overboard"!

She did an interesting version of "Grapevine", which started off like Marvin’s rendition but moved towards the Pips’ recording by the end. Both "Midnight Train to Georgia" and "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" were fab!

The second half, however, was quite… strange. The introduction of the guest pianist was a bit odd, although he was clearly very talented and helped Gladys out on a really nice version of "The Way We Were". He was very expressive with his playing [or as my dad said, a bit over the top! ]

I could just about deal with the Beatles' "Hey Jude" [na-na-na-na!] but Queen's "We are the Champions" was quite bizarre. And to END with gospel songs was a really strange choice, and, honestly, quite disappointing. I genuinely thought she'd close with "Bourgie Bourgie" or something fun, then introduce the band and the singers, and that would be it!

I also found it quite odd that the backing singers sat down for almost all of the show, while Gladys was up and singing!! I think they only stood up for the last or second last song [neither of which were particularly upbeat].

Although the first half was good and overall I’m glad I went, I left feeling a bit disappointed. There was something a bit off about the whole show. I think maybe it just wasn’t what I was expecting! But hey ho!
    Congrats, Tom, on seeing Gladys live - a wise choice as she certainly is talented and historical. Interesting that Gladys sang 'Baby Don't ...' as it was not much of a hit, but I do love the track. I was lucky to see GK&tP live several times in the early-mid 70's glory years, and though they did always rock the house the group always did a barely 60 minute show with lots of rushed and/or partial versions of songs. Gladys was a good stage performer as well, though there was always an air of 'Gotta get outta here quick' about her performances.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Congrats, Tom, on seeing Gladys live - a wise choice as she certainly is talented and historical. Interesting that Gladys sang 'Baby Don't ...' as it was not much of a hit, but I do love the track. I was lucky to see GK&tP live several times in the early-mid 70's glory years, and though they did always rock the house the group always did a barely 60 minute show with lots of rushed and/or partial versions of songs. Gladys was a good stage performer as well, though there was always an air of 'Gotta get outta here quick' about her performances.
    Thanks PNH! I too am very glad I got to see her live. And "Baby Don’t Change Your Mind" was a big hit in the UK [#4!] so it was a great choice for opener! That’s why I was expecting "Bourgie Bourgie" to end on, as that’s a popular one here too.

I also got a similar impression about wanting to get it over and done with.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-05-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Being in my mid-40's and never having seen Gladys live before, if she didn't do "Grapevine" as Reese said she didn't one of the times he saw her, I would leave that performance disappointed no matter how great she was, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Being in my mid-40's and never having seen Gladys live before, if she didn't do "Grapevine" as Reese said she didn't one of the times he saw her, I would leave that performance disappointed no matter how great she was, lol!
    In London, she started singing in the Marvin Gaye style for the first verse and I was pretty upset about it until she suddenly changed to do it her style. I was still disappointed because she sung none of her UK Motown hits except Grapevine and Neither one of us.