[REMOVE ADS]

The Women Of Motown

A marathon read, but if it helps you - it's alphabetical.

Wow....

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/2020...men-of-motown/

Like you said exhausting...........I can only make it through the C's. Maybe another day!!!

It's a superb piece of work, not being pickey as i love these kinds of things!
    There is however always one or more missing. Maybe I missed it ? there is Raynoma Gordy as "Little Iva & her Band" on Miracle 2 label. Not sure if Melodyland & Hitsville should be inclusive?
    From memory There is also Nancy Peters, on Kudo "Cry Baby Heart" written by Jaine Bradford & Berry Gordy and a list of the Motown related artists on none Motown labels I can dig out?
    Presume Chisa records would be left out as its owned by Hugh Masekela with a distribution deal with Motown.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 07-03-2022 at 03:30 AM.

Read all the way through this Sunday morning. An excellent read, but I ended up thinking I wanted a little bit more. Barbara Randolph - I got a Feeling surprised me; not a hit. It's been in my top 50 playlist for 30 years and I do remember loving it at the time of its original UK release.

I considered printing the entire document out, but I realized by doing so would use up 310 sheets of paper and heaven only knows how many printer cartridges. So I guess I will keep it for reference but it is VAST.

Lots of fun tidbits and love seeing the photos and record labels, and some things I still didn't know although I guess it would be on the complete singles sets - the Boone Family recorded for Motown? Fun to wade through all the info. Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-03-2022 at 11:30 PM.

Finally had the chance to finish the rest of it. Quite educational. I read about a lady named Leah Kunkel who was part of a female group but I have a solo album by her and never knew she had any connection to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Finally had the chance to finish the rest of it. Quite educational. I read about a lady named Leah Kunkel who was part of a female group but I have a solo album by her and never knew she had any connection to Motown.
    Leah Kunkel is the younger sister of the late Cass Elliot.

Glad you're enjoying this folks, I certainly learned from it. I like the illustrations too.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    A marathon read, but if it helps you - it's alphabetical.

Wow....

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/2020...men-of-motown/
    Great find; lots of performers I am not familiar with -

Didn’t Lynn Roman have a hit with Stop I don’t need no sympathy?

Yes "Stop I Don't Need No Sympathy" was on Brunswick [[great record too). Lyn Roman's real name was Linda Griner, of course, of "Goodbye Cruel Love" fame on Motown.

According to discogs she’s been a top real estate agent and humanitarian in Las Vegas.

Nice list, not complete though. Motown had Diahann Carroll, Maureen Steele [[Boys will be Boys), Carrie MacDowell [[Uh, Uh, No No Casual Sex), Vanity, and Bunny DeBarge to name a few more.

Wow I am stunned that those were left off, so thanks for pointing that out. Many of us on here have indicated a desire to see the Diahann album released on CD but I guess it will never happen. As for Maureen Steele, I have that album on vinyl and it was excellent. And of course who could forget the Nasty Girl herself Vanity?

Lynda Carter is missing and others. Still plenty of names there to keep you entertained and a great piece of work. No doubt it would benefit from additions. May never run out of suggestions though.