[REMOVE ADS]

Beauty: Netflix movie loosely inspired by Whitney Houston

Not sure if anyone here has already seen this movie or heard of it. I just found out about it today. It came out on Netflix yesterday [June 29th]. It was created by Lena Waithe and Whitney fans are saying that it is very obviously loosely based on/inspired by her life and relationship with Robyn. Sharon Stone plays the Clive Davis-type character. I intend to watch it tonight. Here is the trailer ...

https://youtu.be/EbptKdhRXEo

Wow. Yes, please. And tonight is a Netflix night for me, anyway! Thanks for sharing.

Nice! You're welcome, sansradio! Hope you enjoy it. It looks like the reviews thus far are generally not favourable, but I also plan on checking it out tonight.

I just received an email from Netflix about this film and made sure to add it to my list.

Does indeed sound interesting; the NY Times gave it a very favorable review today.

Thanks Peace. I'm glad to hear it's getting positive reviews as well.

I watched it last night and it was a decent film. Nothing amazing. Clearly is was very much patterned after Whitney's early life, with some liberaties taken with the story...as her father pass away until the early 2000's. That's when the whole lawsuit mess happened as well. It was definitely not the worst Whitney movie I've seen, but it did feel very repetitive. It was better than some of those TV ones that came out several years ago. I'm sure the official biopic coming out at the end of this year will likely gloss over her relationship with Robyn, if it even gets mentioned at all.