[REMOVE ADS]

Yes, the plants have been struggling to keep up for quite some time now. Releases are delayed and quality control has suffered, due to needing to get vinyl out the door asap. Prices on vinyl has skyrocketed. I started collecting vinyl in 2002, back when there were certain titles I couldn't get on CD, or it was cheaper to buy a used $1 vinyl at a flea market or record shop vs the new CD version. It seems like the trend has now made the pendulum swing the other way. Vinyl has become ridiculously expensive. CD's have become the cheaper medium. I still buy a new vinyl, once in a while, if it's something I really love and want to collect, for the reason that perhaps the title was released on vinyl-only with new remastering, or has a unique cover, etc., otherwise I stick to CD's or digital. These days, it's a 50/50 chance you'll end up buying a new vinyl release, and the disc is warped, noisy, etc., so I check out reviews on Discogs, on any new vinyl release, before going ahead and purchasing. Many users on there tend to provide helpful feedback on pressing quality. Some of the younger kids on there, who play everything via a cheap Crosley suitcase player, think that everything is pressed with incredibly amazing sound lol.

Even used vintage vinyl pressings of some titles have become a lot more pricey and harder to find, over time, thanks to this resurgence.

The crazy thing is that so many titles are now put out on vinyl, using the same compressed digital master that was used for the CD version. In many cases, people don't realize that they're paying a high premium on the vinyl version of an album that may sound just as good [or just as bad] on the much cheaper CD.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-30-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, the plants have been struggling to keep up for quite some time now. Releases are delayed and quality control has suffered, due to needing to get vinyl out the door asap. Prices on vinyl has skyrocketed. I started collecting vinyl in 2002, back when there were certain titles I couldn't get on CD, or it was cheaper to buy a used $1 vinyl at a flea market or record shop vs the new CD version. It seems like the trend has now made the pendulum swing the other way. Vinyl has become ridiculously expensive. CD's have become the cheaper medium. I still buy a new vinyl, once in a while, if it's something I really love and want to collect, for the reason that it perhaps the title was released on vinyl-only with new remastering, or has a unique cover, etc., otherwise I stick to CD's or digital. These days, it's a 50/50 chance you'll end up buying a new vinyl release, and the disc is warped, noisy, etc., so I check out reviews on Discogs, on any new vinyl release, before going ahead and purchasing. Many users on there tend to provide helpful feedback on pressing quality. Some of the younger kids on there, who play everything via a cheap Crosley suitcase player, think that everything is pressed with incredibly amazing sound lol.

Even used vintage vinyl pressings of some titles have become a lot more pricey and harder to find, over time, thanks to this resurgence.

The crazy thing is that so many titles are now put out on vinyl, using the same compressed digital master that was used for the CD version. In many cases, people don't realize that they're paying a high premium on the vinyl version of an album that may sound just as good [or just as bad] on the much cheaper CD.
    Good points, Carlo. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, the plants have been struggling to keep up for quite some time now. Releases are delayed and quality control has suffered, due to needing to get vinyl out the door asap. Prices on vinyl has skyrocketed. I started collecting vinyl in 2002, back when there were certain titles I couldn't get on CD, or it was cheaper to buy a used $1 vinyl at a flea market or record shop vs the new CD version. It seems like the trend has now made the pendulum swing the other way. Vinyl has become ridiculously expensive. CD's have become the cheaper medium. I still buy a new vinyl, once in a while, if it's something I really love and want to collect, for the reason that perhaps the title was released on vinyl-only with new remastering, or has a unique cover, etc., otherwise I stick to CD's or digital. These days, it's a 50/50 chance you'll end up buying a new vinyl release, and the disc is warped, noisy, etc., so I check out reviews on Discogs, on any new vinyl release, before going ahead and purchasing. Many users on there tend to provide helpful feedback on pressing quality. Some of the younger kids on there, who play everything via a cheap Crosley suitcase player, think that everything is pressed with incredibly amazing sound lol.

Exactly Carlo, that's why I abandoned vinyl for a second time and am sticking with digital.

When I moved to an appartment 10 years ago with less storage than I used to have, I sold about one third of my vast album collection thinking vinyl was a thing of the past. Also I had a lot of those titles on cd.
    About 5 years ago I started buying vinyl again, mostly new titles but also some of the titles that I sold. There was a large record store almost under my appartment which had great prices and a few times a year special evenings where box sets where greatly reduced [[vinyl and cd).
    Sadly they went under in 2020.
    2 years ago I moved out of Amsterdam and had a new cupboard made for my vinyl that is now almost full. Holding a vinyl record is so much nicer than holding a cd and the quality of vinyl pressings is mostly better now than it ever was.Name:  lp kast.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  59.3 KB
    Last edited by jack020; 07-01-2022 at 03:54 AM.

sorry pic is upside down, cant seem to get it right

Very nice, Jack. That's quite a collection you have. How many vinyls do you own? I have just over 800. The other reason I've slowed down on purchasing vinyl is that I know I won't have infinite storage space. I've had to put a few boxes of them in our basement, in order to keep myself from buying more shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    When I moved to an appartment 10 years ago with less storage than I used to have, I sold about one third of my vast album collection thinking vinyl was a thing of the past. Also I had a lot of those titles on cd.
    About 5 years ago I started buying vinyl again, mostly new titles but also some of the titles that I sold. There was a large record store almost under my appartment which had great prices and a few times a year special evenings where box sets where greatly reduced [[vinyl and cd).
    Sadly they went under in 2020.
    2 years ago I moved out of Amsterdam and had a new cupboard made for my vinyl that is now almost full. Holding a vinyl record is so much nicer than holding a cd and the quality of vinyl pressings is mostly better now than it ever was.Name:  lp kast.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  59.3 KB

gorgeous ....any type of order ???

Hey guys, thanks. I never counted them but must be near 10.000,there is another smaller cupboard thats under my windows and not in the picture.
    At the moment the first 1,5 row from the top are my 12-inch dance remixes, the rest is soul/rnb and jazz/rock in alphabetical order. The 1,5 bottom row is bought the last 3 years which I still have to put in with the rest in alphabetical order.
    The cupboard at left with the plastic in front is pop/soundtracks/other genres and compilations.
    The idea is to move all the 12-inchers into to the smaller cupboard under the windows and the reorganise the main cupboard so everything will be in order again. That is something planned for the coming winter.
    In my living room I have 5 high cupboards [[like in a chemists) for my cds and one for my cd boxes. Name:  lp kast 2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  66.1 KB
    Last edited by jack020; 07-02-2022 at 03:42 AM.

The only time I buy vinyl is from the local thrift stores here in town. I LOVED when cds came out...no more surface noise, scratches [[if kept carefully), and the oftentimes extensive liner notes and booklets. More reasons why I preferred CDs over vinyl was no more record cleaning and needle replacement. Sometimes I get nostalgic for vinyl but 99% of the time I will listen to cds or mp3s.

Saw an article a few years ago on Questlove discussing his vinyl collection Name:  Dust_and_Grooves_62582.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  105.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks. I never counted them but must be near 10.000,there is another smaller cupboard thats under my windows and not in the picture.
    At the moment the first 1,5 row from the top are my 12-inch dance remixes, the rest is soul/rnb and jazz/rock in alphabetical order. The 1,5 bottom row is bought the last 3 years which I still have to put in with the rest in alphabetical order.
    The cupboard at left with the plastic in front is pop/soundtracks/other genres and compilations.
    The idea is to move all the 12-inchers into to the smaller cupboard under the windows and the reorganise the main cupboard so everything will be in order again. That is something planned for the coming winter.
    In my living room I have 5 high cupboards [[like in a chemists) for my cds and one for my cd boxes. Name:  lp kast 2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  66.1 KB
    Love this. What an amazing collection.

Jack020, that is an impressive vinyl collection and very nicely stored. I also have many many thousands of vinyl and I have them stored in a dedicated wooden insulated shed. Unfortunately, the weight of the vinyl is so great that the shed is tilting and slanting under the weight. In a house I lived in many years ago , the floor was in danger of giving way under the stored crates of vinyl. I want to offload my collection but it is so vast it takes too much time to catalogue and list on discogs!

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Saw an article a few years ago on Questlove discussing his vinyl collection Name:  Dust_and_Grooves_62582.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  105.8 KB
    I spy David Ruffin's Me N Rock N Roll Are Here To Stay!