[REMOVE ADS]

Sylvester's 1980 lp 'Too Hot To Sleep'

Kinda, sorta overlooked at the time [[probably due to the swerve from disco to smooth jazz/quiet storm) this has become a favorite, and perhaps the favorite lp from this wonderful singer. Here's the opening cut 'Thinking Right'. Wow does this lp hold up 42 years [[gulp!!) later -

Thank you for this. I would've never have known that he ventured out of disco. I have to get this.

Gulp, indeed! Time has flown. I remember first hearing this LP. Quite different for Sylvester. It took me a minute to get used to it, but it also became a favorite. Thanks
    for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Thank you for this. I would've never have known that he ventured out of disco. I have to get this.
    I was among the ... surprised, and disappointed ... when the lp came out, expecting it to be full nrg disco. But I did love Sylvester's singing so it did some turntable time for a while. I do actually appreciate and just plain like the album now even more than then!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Gulp, indeed! Time has flown. I remember first hearing this LP. Quite different for Sylvester. It took me a minute to get used to it, but it also became a favorite. Thanks
    for posting.
    Glad to hear of another appreciator of Sylvester and this, for him, adventurous lp. It holds up so well!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Glad to hear of another appreciator of Sylvester and this, for him, adventurous lp. It holds up so well!

Oh yes! Big fan! I have all his music as well as two concert DVD's. I only wish the Opera House had been filmed. Did you read his biography?

Oh yes! Big fan! I have all his music as well as two concert DVD's. I only wish the Opera House had been filmed. Did you read his biography?
    I also wish there were film of that performance. I did indeed read the bio; good, perhaps not great, but indispenable to fans, though!
    !

Wow...I would have never known that was Sylvester. I only ever heard his big hits like "Mighty Real." The track is nice but the vocal seems a little under-sung if there is such a term. I would have liked to hear him sing more the way he did on his famous cuts using his very strong voice because I think that still would have worked with the smooth jazz background.

It must be an interesting album though! I definitely would like to hear more of it.

Found you can hear the entire album on YouTube. I'm listening right now. I really like it. He does switch up on the vocals - even singing in his falsetto on a track. I never thought of him as an underrated singer, but I guess he really was.

Last edited by kenneth; 07-04-2022 at 12:17 AM.

Does anyone know anything about this recording? It's the only one I don't have. I never bought it and now I see its only available for download. I'd rather have the
    physical CD. I'm thinking this might be Sylvesters 1st recording.

Does anyone know anything about this recording? It's the only one I don't have. I never bought it and now I see its only available for download. I'd rather have the
    I know everything about this recording . Indeed the first Sylvester lp, and you can search Wiki or any other music reference guide of your choice for lots of information. I still have my original lp, with its gardenia-scented sticker. It's a killer lp from start to finish - can't wait to hear your reaction!

I guess Sylvester recorded two albums for the Blue Thumb label which were available at some point on a two fer CD, put out by our favorite label, Hip-O! Looks like it might be hard to find now but definitely looks worth checking out and looking for it. Blue Thumb was an unusual label, mostly known for jazz I think, but they recorded Ike and Tina Turner and other artists who definitely wouldn’t be considered jazz. The Turner albums on that label were blues albums and very different than what they recorded for UA shortly thereafter when they hit big with “Proud Mary.”

Here is the link to a 2 episode podcast on Spotify on Sylvester and his entire career. It was not a smooth ride and the story of Sylvester is told by the many people who actually worked with him and knew him intimately. The Hot Band album and everything else is covered including demos.
    https://open.spotify.com/show/7vCtUj...urce=copy-link

@MIKEW-UK,

That will be fascinating to listen to. Thanks for finding this!

K

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here is the link to a 2 episode podcast on Spotify on Sylvester and his entire career. It was not a smooth ride and the story of Sylvester is told by the many people who actually worked with him and knew him intimately. The Hot Band album and everything else is covered including demos.
    Just copying the link again so it’s easy for everyone to find.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I guess Sylvester recorded two albums for the Blue Thumb label which were available at some point on a two fer CD, put out by our favorite label, Hip-O! Looks like it might be hard to find now but definitely looks worth checking out and looking for it. Blue Thumb was an unusual label, mostly known for jazz I think, but they recorded Ike and Tina Turner and other artists who definitely wouldn’t be considered jazz. The Turner albums on that label were blues albums and very different than what they recorded for UA shortly thereafter when they hit big with “Proud Mary.”
    Correct all around, Kenneth! The second Sylvester Blue Thumb lp was 'Bazaar' [[as in... Harpers) and you are correct that the 2 lps were released on a Hip-O disc a minute ago. Sorry you missed it! Though I still have my original lps I also have the CD. Indeed Ike & Tina released 'The Hunter' and 'Outta Season' on the Blue Thumb label, and ... you guessed it, I have those lps, as well as a re-issue or two on CD. Great label, great music.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Correct all around, Kenneth! The second Sylvester Blue Thumb lp was 'Bazaar' [[as in... Harpers) and you are correct that the 2 lps were released on a Hip-O disc a minute ago. Sorry you missed it! Though I still have my original lps I also have the CD. Indeed Ike & Tina released 'The Hunter' and 'Outta Season' on the Blue Thumb label, and ... you guessed it, I have those lps, as well as a re-issue or two on CD. Great label, great music.
    Are there any other albums from the label that you would recommend? I love those two Tina Turner albums, especially “the hunter“. I think she sings blues better than almost any female singer I’ve heard. But I read that Ike didn’t play the guitar on that album it was actually Albert Collins! Anyway let me know if you recommend any other blue thumb albums because I’ve liked what they’ve produced and I love focusing on different labels and really kind of getting the impact of their whole roster of artists.

Didn’t they also record the first couple pointer sister‘s albums, or am I mixing it up with another label?

Are there any other albums from the label that you would recommend? I love those two Tina Turner albums, especially “the hunter“. I think she sings blues better than almost any female singer I’ve heard. But I read that Ike didn’t play the guitar on that album it was actually Albert Collins! Anyway let me know if you recommend any other blue thumb albums because I’ve liked what they’ve produced and I love focusing on different labels and really kind of getting the impact of their whole roster of artists.

Didn’t they also record the first couple pointer sister‘s albums, or am I mixing it up with another label?
    Blue Thumb Records - Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Actually, it is a 8 [[!) part podcast, so 6 more episodes to come!

Sorry for the delay in replying ... as you have already most likely learned yes indeed the first 4 Pointers lps were BT releases, though Steppin' and Having a Party were technically ABC Blue Thumb. It was an eclectic label and the Pointers & Ike & Tina were the only lps I bought, other than the 2 Sylvester & The Hot Band titles. I had a friend who was big into Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks who also were BT artists.

Two concert dvds?? Are the Two Tons there and where'd you get those??? Asking for me lol

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Two concert dvds?? Are the Two Tons there and where'd you get those??? Asking for me lol
    No, neither has Two Tons. One is from a Club in LA and the other was filmed on his birthday. He was dressed quite glam and did mostly Billy Holliday type songs with a
    full orchestra. I'll look for them and see if there's any info. These were not professionally filmed, but generally OK. I have no idea where I purchased them. Over the internet.

No, neither has Two Tons. One is from a Club in LA and the other was filmed on his birthday. He was dressed quite glam and did mostly Billy Holliday type songs with a
    full orchestra. I'll look for them and see if there's any info. These were not professionally filmed, but generally OK. I have no idea where I purchased them. Over the internet.
    I just found the one. Go to youtube and type in:Sylvester's birthday party Drag Is Just Drag 1985

Will be watching that later tonight. What a great honor to have been there. Thanks for your sharing it with us!

nice!!

Happy Birthday Sylvester!
    I'm remembering attending a fun birthday concert he threw for himself at the Castro theater . I went with Morey Goldstein who'd just worked with Sylvester on his version of LOVIN' IS REALLY MY GAME.. early mid 80's....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-25-2022 at 02:05 AM.

Wonderful to see. Yet ... heartbreaking. "My" Sylvester deserved better than echo-singing to tracks and announcing hits as 'Do you remember?" But the audience seems enthused. My Sylvester - so well remembered.

Addendum. Sylvester sounds great and looks gorgeous. 49 years and still listening, Syl!

I saw the vinyl in a used record stoe many years ago and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it.

I saw Sylvester in concert at The River Club in NYC in the early 80’s. It was disappointing as he did not live up to expectations. Maybe it was an off night for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I saw Sylvester in concert at The River Club in NYC in the early 80’s. It was disappointing as he did not live up to expectations. Maybe it was an off night for him.
    Do you mean vocally or overall presentation? Yep, folks have 'off nights'. Had a few myself. LOL

Love Sylvester in all of his phases. Most favorite is a tie between Sell My Soul and Living Proof - 2 really big albums in NYC when I was a teenager.Name:  sell my soul.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  61.6 KB

Living Proof

Name:  Living proof.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  45.2 KB - a real classic that needs a reissue

Do you mean vocally or overall presentation? Yep, folks have 'off nights'. Had a few myself. LOL
    It was a long time ago and I was not very musically sophisticated, so I don’t know exactly what was off, but I left disappointed. I loved his recordings then and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    Name:  Living proof.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  45.2 KB - a real classic that needs a reissue
    Have you been listening to the podcast? Wonderful all around and lots of details about 'Living Proof'. And, yes, deserves reissue.