[REMOVE ADS]

Barbara McNair-"Just In Time" on The Ed Sullivan Show

From uDiscoverMusic.com-
    A late 1965 performance by then-new Motown signing Barbara McNair has been shared from the archives of The Ed Sullivan Show.

The clip, now featured on the official YouTube channel of the revered light entertainment series, shows the Chicago-born singer and actress performing the already much-loved “Just In Time.” A Jule Styne melody with lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, the song had debuted in a duet by Judy Holliday and Sydney Chaplin in the 1956 musical Bells Are Ringing.

Miss McNair was a lovely woman with a lovely voice. She was not a good fit for Motown. Her Warner Brothers recordings were great but her Motown recordings were mediocre [[by Motown standards).

Good find, Eddie! Barbara Mc is always welcomed here!

wow, she was fabulous & was a very big across the board star. Motown signed her for the industry prestige.She was about 10 years older then their Pop/Soul stars. That made a big difference in the 60's & 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Miss McNair was a lovely woman with a lovely voice. She was not a good fit for Motown. Her Warner Brothers recordings were great but her Motown recordings were mediocre [[by Motown standards).
    I really enjoy her Motown material. "Steal Away Tonight," "It Happens Everytime," "Just One Teardrop," and "Forget You Ever Met Me Baby" are gems. Some of her covers of Smokey tracks are stellar - I prefer her versions of "Oh Be My Love" and "All That's Good" over all other versions and her version of "If You Can Want" is right up there with the Miracles' original.

That is astonishing quality for such an old clip. Great song by the way. As for her Motown material, I thought she could have been a good fit but I guess she was considered too mainstream for Motown at the time, as it was still very much a "soul" label and not quite ready for the supper club sound that Barbara represented.

Thanks for the Youtube clip anything from Miss McNair is more than welcome.
    I do love her Motown issues and her voice just blows me away, "Your Gonna Love My Baby" is one of my favourite records. Warner Bros then issued a 45 on the back of her joining Motown in 1965 and what a stunning record: "It Was Never Like This" . Not aware that the Warner Bros issue made the charts, but either way incredible.

Another nice track. Thanks for sharing.