[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Four Seasons - Working Our Way Back To You: The Ultimate Collection

Yes, I know this hangs on the edges of the Motown universe, but I figured that for anyone who likes The Four Seasons and Frankie Valli AND liked and wanted more of their Motown material [which is here--released and unreleased], it would be helpful to know about this massive, detailed set that is coming in September 2022!

Name:  Four-Seasons---mock-up-full-2000px.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  12.5 KB

Working Our Way Back To You: The Ultimate Collection
    "Over 44 CDs and 1LP, Working Our Way Back To You chronicles Frankie Valli's every stride through a career of 195 singles and 31 studio albums. The set includes a stunning multi-foldout reproduction of the original US packaging of The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette vinyl album [in its original mono mix, available here for the first time ever].

The package includes an extraordinary assemblage of unreleased treats, rare treasures and long-unavailable mixes, including much sought after tracks the group cut for Motown. The boxed set also includes a 144-page hardback book, a separate singles book showing a multitude of picture sleeves from around the world, and a book of Collectors’ notes."

https://burningshed.com/store/madfis...-to-you_boxset

Mind you, this isn't cheap--£350.00 [which is about US $427.00]--but it's 44 discs, one vinyl record, and heavily annotated! It seems like a labor of love on this one and probably the last time something of this scale this will be released on The Four Seasons.

The only thing that makes me sad is that as Motown/Universal has all but stopped their reissue program [whatever happened to The Supremes Expanded Edition series after "Sing HDH"...?], something like this gets green-lighted by another company and will hopefully sell very well.
    Last edited by danman869; 06-28-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos

It's going to be a great release - hugely anticipated.

Of particular interest to Motown fans are the previously unreleased songs and mixes included on Discs 21 and 22 such as "My Eyes Adored You" recorded whilst with Motown. "Stop, Look, Listen to Your Heart" is the Stylistics song and I believe will surpass the version by Diana and Marvin.

Our very own Mowest Chameleon has contributed massively to this entire project and deserves huge thanks.

Much of their Motown work is excellent and I always love listening especially to my favourites on a regular basis. And did someone mention "The Night"?

DISC TWENTY
    FOUR SEASONS - CHAMELEON [[STEREO)

1 A New Beginning [[Prelude) 01:20
    2 Sun Country 04:04
    3 You’re A Song [[That I Can’t Sing) 03:10
    4 The Night 03:22
    5 A New Beginning 04:46
    6 When The Morning Comes 04:37
    7 Poor Fool 04:09
    8 Touch The Rainchild 04:20
    9 Love Isn’t Here [[Like It Used To Be) 03:41

BONUS TRACKS

10 Walk On, Don’t Look Back 02:56
    11 How Come? 03:43
    12 Life And Breath 03:06
    13 Hickory 02:49
    14 Charisma [[Single Version) 03:19

DISC TWENTY ONE
    FRANKIE VALLI - INSIDE YOU [[STEREO)

1 Just Look What You’ve Done 04:47
    2 Love Isn’t Here [[Like It Used To Be) 03:48
    3 Baby I Need Your Loving 03:03
    4 Inside You 04:01
    5 Thank You 03:31
    6 Hickory 03:00
    7 Life And Breath 02:57
    8 The Night 03:21
    9 With My Eyes Wide Open 04:28

BONUS TRACKS

10 You’ve Got Your Troubles 04:04
    11 Listen To Yesterday [[Previously Unreleased Alternate Version) 04:00
    12 The Scalawag Song [[And I Will Love You) Alternate title: Silver Fishes 02:40
    13 Listen To Yesterday [[45 Version) 03:46
    14 I Wonder Why [[1973 Demo, previously unissued) 03:23
    15 Hickory [[rehearsal) 03:45

DISC TWENTY TWO
    FOUR SEASONS - MOTOWN – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED [[STEREO)

1 My Heart Cries Out To You 03:15
    2 What Love Has Joined Together 04:00
    3 Loving You, That’s My Thing 02:54
    4 Never Gonna Give My Love To You 02:52
    5 Stop, Look, Listen To Your Heart 02:53
    6 Minute By Minute [[Day By Day) 02:29
    7 After You 03:41
    8 Star 04:22
    9 Hymn To Her 03:45
    10 Lovers 02:47
    11 You Can't Hold On 03:03
    12 Whatever You Want 03:16
    13 Future Years 03:18

BONUS TRACKS

14 My Eyes Adored You [[Alternate Closing Lyric) 03:37
    15 Whatever You Want [[Alternate Version 2) 03:33
    16 Inside You [[Alternate Version) 03:35
    17 Lovers [[Alternate Version) 02:51
    18 You Can't Hold On [[Alternate Version, Take 6) 03:10
    19 Hymn To Her [[Alternate Version) 03:45
    20 Future Years [[Alternate Version) 03:23
    21 You Can't Hold On [[Alternate Version) 02:52
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-28-2022 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Yes, I know this hangs on the edges of the Motown universe, but I figured that for anyone who likes The Four Seasons and Frankie Valli AND liked and wanted more of their Motown material [which is here--released and unreleased], it would be helpful to know about this massive, detailed set that is coming in September 2022!

Name:  Four-Seasons---mock-up-full-2000px.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  12.5 KB

Working Our Way Back To You: The Ultimate Collection
    "Over 44 CDs and 1LP, Working Our Way Back To You chronicles Frankie Valli's every stride through a career of 195 singles and 31 studio albums. The set includes a stunning multi-foldout reproduction of the original US packaging of The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette vinyl album [in its original mono mix, available here for the first time ever].

The package includes an extraordinary assemblage of unreleased treats, rare treasures and long-unavailable mixes, including much sought after tracks the group cut for Motown. The boxed set also includes a 144-page hardback book, a separate singles book showing a multitude of picture sleeves from around the world, and a book of Collectors’ notes."

https://burningshed.com/store/madfis...-to-you_boxset

Mind you, this isn't cheap--£350.00 [which is about US $427.00]--but it's 44 discs, one vinyl record, and heavily annotated! It seems like a labor of love on this one and probably the last time something of this scale this will be released on The Four Seasons.

The only thing that makes me sad is that as Motown/Universal has all but stopped their reissue program [whatever happened to The Supremes Expanded Edition series after "Sing HDH"...?], something like this gets green-lighted by another company and will hopefully sell very well.
    Big News! I remember someone on this site saying that a Complete Box Set for Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons was in the works and now it's on it's way. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a great set. Very interested in hearing the unreleased Motown tracks!!

Shame the 3 CD's featuring the Motown tracks have not been issued as a stand-alone 3-CD set as well as in the box set!

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Shame the 3 CD's featuring the Motown tracks have not been issued as a stand-alone 3-CD set as well as in the box set!
    I agree booty. Perhaps the set will be released digitally in some way, where the albums would be available separately.

I finally bit the bullet today and treated myself to this massive set! Two things... apparently, my mistake in saying this is coming out in September. I misread [thinking like the American I am] and saw 09-12-2022 and saw that as September 12, 2022. Turns out, coming from the UK as it is, the release date is 9 December 2022. Oops. My bad.

For those in the US, the best price I have found at this point is from Pop Market for $464 plus tax and no shipping charge.

https://www.popmarket.com/frankie-va...t/636551913256

Looks like I'll have a project to keep me occupied over the 2022 Christmas holidays with loading this big boy into my Apple Music!

Apparently at some point over the last few months, this set was pushed back to release on April 14, 2023. Anyone know what happened?

Now to be released on 2nd June 2023 - here's the trailer. Would love to have the replica mini-LP versions of "Chameleon" and "Inside You" - plus the previously unreleased Motown tracks.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-07-2023 at 07:15 PM.

No body likes the Seasons more than me, but dang! that’s spensive!

Due for release today. Has anybody found a site where you can hear sound clips yet? [disc 22 is the one with the previously unreleased Motown sessions].

Just bought it from Amazon DE

This might sound like a dumb question so don't think I am crazy.

I just looked this up and saw that today 6/2/23 is the official release date. I went into Amazon and saw this:

1 Used Copy from $613.64.
    4 New Copies from $429.99.

Question: The used copy ---- doesn't make sense how it can be used if it is only released today! What am I missing? Why buy a used copy if the new copy is 30% less in cost.

It will be interesting to see exactly how many of the 2,500 worldwide sets are actually sold!

Great to see the unboxing video. Don't know why but I was surprised to see Frankie Valli's later Motown album "Romancing The 60s" there as well.

Currently £350.00 on Amazon [[$435.77). Would love it - but!

Personally the vinyl LP doesn't interest me.

Thanks for sharing the unboxing process, Jack! It was most enjoyable. Despite being a Frankie Valli/Four Seasons fan, I won't be purchasing this treasure trove myself. But congrats on being the proud owner of one of the best CD box sets I've ever seen. I especially appreciate the inclusion of Mono AND Stereo versions of each of their albums on each disc, exactly as Motown Select did on each of The Supremes Expanded CD sets -- making it easy to compare the differences between the two. Enjoy yourself!

Thanks! Mine will be arriving today I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Thanks! Mine will be arriving today I was told.
    Ah! Got my fingers crossed for you!

I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more interest in this on here. For the first time in what feels like a few years we have an entire cd's worth of previously unreleased Motown material [disc 22] made available - albeit buried within a whopper collection of non-Motown tracks, which is pretty rare nowadays. Furthermore, it seems the only way to access them so far is to buy the whole set. Ten days after release, and they haven't appeared on any streaming service I can see, and I can't even find any sound clips on retailer websites that are selling the box set.

I emailed Madfish [the company who have released the boxset], and they promptly replied, saying they only had rights to release as cd/vinyl, not mp3/wav files, but, so far, none of the disc 22 tracks seem to have seeped on to Youtube or anywhere else - very frustrating.

It would be good to hear from any of the few posters on here who have actually bought the set, what they think of the unreleased cuts - standout tracks, overall standard, etc., as so far it looks as though, for most of us who don't want to buy 44cds to get one, we're never gonna get to hear these tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more interest in this on here. For the first time in what feels like a few years we have an entire cd's worth of previously unreleased Motown material [disc 22] made available - albeit buried within a whopper collection of non-Motown tracks, which is pretty rare nowadays. Furthermore, it seems the only way to access them so far is to buy the whole set. Ten days after release, and they haven't appeared on any streaming service I can see, and I can't even find any sound clips on retailer websites that are selling the box set.

I emailed Madfish [the company who have released the boxset], and they promptly replied, saying they only had rights to release as cd/vinyl, not mp3/wav files, but, so far, none of the disc 22 tracks seem to have seeped on to Youtube or anywhere else - very frustrating.

It would be good to hear from any of the few posters on here who have actually bought the set, what they think of the unreleased cuts - standout tracks, overall standard, etc., as so far it looks as though, for most of us who don't want to buy 44cds to get one, we're never gonna get to hear these tracks.
    I'd say that this set could form the basis of some good compilations, but first they'll need to milk this particular cow dry since the wrong compilation [or right compilation from a buyer's perspective] could kill this monster set's sales stone dead, as could the availability of streaming or downloads.

If the set didn't sell well then I could also see the partnership using other means to recoup their investment. Why wouldn't they? If I were Madfish, I'd therefore be worried if I'd put up loads of money for this collection without a guaranteed free run for, say, six months or a year without the threat of streaming or downloads eating into the sales.

I also worry that this product is aimed at a generation that's now becoming impoverished because of loss of income due to retirement and medical bills. One would need a lot of disposable cash to even think of buying it.

There is a long thread about this release on another non-Motown forum that's worth a read. Since most of the Seasons' output wasn't on Motown, that's where most fans will probably join in. Generally, they seem to like it but they've already identified a couple of issues.

I would still love to purchase this box set as I was really excited about it's pending release when I posted nearly a year ago, but...sadly...I am not currently in a financial position to spend nearly $500US on this set. [Though I'd previously posted here that I pre-ordered the set, I had to cancel that last fall. What a difference a year makes!]

I would love to hear what SDF members who can and do buy it have to say about the disc of unreleased Motown material [and the rest, too!], so hopefully we'll start to get some feedback soon?

i think there may be only 2,500 sets available so presumably if they all sell the producer will be satisfied with that. It's not a large run but once sold out watch the prices rise. Personally I'd love the 4 Motown CDs from this set with the mini LP covers [[including the later Frankie Valli "Romancing the 60s"). But obviously would settle for downloads on any Motown unreleased from this set.

There do seem to be a number of issues identified so far which is a little disappointing - but you can keep up to date on any issues identified in the "Four Seasons Motown Unreleased Campaign" on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1049...vity&ref=notif

Has anyone gotten their hands on this and heard the Motown Unreleased tracks? Maybe at some point they'll sell the Motown cuts as a standalone release. Over $600 CDN for this set just isn't feasible for me...

This set us the subject of this weeks West Grand blog by Adam White.

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrand...T17%3A10%3A45Z

Newsflash - the motown tracks are now up on YouTube...for now. After a cursory listen, the standout track seems to be 'stop, look, listen', but no surprises there as Bell & Creed can do no wrong in my eyes.