[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    We've compensated my missing Diana perform with our Diana-related wedding invitation, although not all guests recognized the original inspiration.

Attachment 19762
    This is totally fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    A couple of thoughts/observations. No she was not in the best voice. Most will agree. But when I watched some of it later, I thought to myself what is all the drama about?

Almost all of the publicity and reviews of this show were extremely positive. It does seem as if the good reviews and attendance bother some people. You have to wonder, if almost all reviews are glowing positive reviews, what makes some people so obsessed with the 1% negative reviews. It’s a weird thing. Some are so concerned with the people that think she can do no wrong, and is perfect, that they don’t see how they appear to others, which is always critical and negative. You may not recognize it, but others can see it.

Diana Ross has literally moved on to the next tour date. As she has famously said….. NEXT.

Fans look forward to the next shows, but it will be interesting to see who is stuck on the negativity.

We are all entitled to are own opinions and they are all valid.

By all accounts, her voice wasn’t the best that day, but the overall show was a huge success.

There are some people that celebrate the positive, and then there are some people that feel they always have to be critical.

Great media coverage for Diana. It would be great if someone could post all of the newspaper cover stories- there are many 😉.
    Maybe if people could actually see the real reviews and coverage- it would put all this “negativity” in perspective.
    I agree with all of this as well.

I think some of her fans want the perfection of some golden moments to always been repeated and don’t want to accept she is aging.

Some of it is coming off as overly negative

For someone known to be as positive and optimistic in their outlook as Diana, unseen mental fatigue still has the potential to be even more damaging and longer lasting, than simple physical tiredness.

When any of us becomes mentally stressed - for example, when we become disappointed with ourselves - there is a tendency to become tense, and not breathe as fully as we should.

As a singer, Diana must really have to be concentrating hard, to make the best of circumstances which appear sometimes challenging.

Considering the thousands of people she is addressing in all her shows, I think Diana is one special lady and, all things considered, is really doing very well indeed

First and foremost, i don’t hear any fans obsessed with negative reviews. What I do hear are just a whole bunch of DR fans giving their own honest opinion. For some, it would seem if you didn’t like the performance you are obsessing, while if you liked it your spot on. Hmmm.
    Rather sadly, Diana’s vocal performance was a car crash. She was flat and off key from the first strained notes of “”I’m Coming Out”. I was actually wincing through most of her performance, with her talented backing singers having to work overtime in trying to pull it together. The auto-tuned vocals on you tube sound nothing like the actual performance.
    The tanked up Glastonbury crowd appeared determined to have a good time and refused to let the fact the singer had no voice to speak of ruin their having fun.
    Who is one to say she needs to retire just yet when so many still enjoy going to see her live in concert. This tour is clearly to much for her, and she would be much better off with dotted performances or a residency somewhere.
    At the end of the day, it’s just rather sad she saved what is probably her worst vocal performance ever for such a massively high profile gig. Ah well.

I recall when these dates were announced for 2020 Bluebrock expressing concern that the schedule may end up being too much for her and that promoters were being greedy booking so many shows so close together.

We've compensated my missing Diana perform with our Diana-related wedding invitation, although not all guests recognized the original inspiration.

Attachment 19762
    That's lovely Jaap! Congrats to you and your husbear! ♡

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I recall when these dates were announced for 2020 Bluebrock expressing concern that the schedule may end up being too much for her and that promoters were being greedy booking so many shows so close together.
    Too true, but in terms of the demand for tickets the promoters called it right = all the venues were jam-packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    First and foremost, i don’t hear any fans obsessed with negative reviews. What I do hear are just a whole bunch of DR fans giving their own honest opinion. For some, it would seem if you didn’t like the performance you are obsessing, while if you liked it your spot on. Hmmm.
    Rather sadly, Diana’s vocal performance was a car crash. She was flat and off key from the first strained notes of “”I’m Coming Out”. I was actually wincing through most of her performance, with her talented backing singers having to work overtime in trying to pull it together. The auto-tuned vocals on you tube sound nothing like the actual performance.
    The tanked up Glastonbury crowd appeared determined to have a good time and refused to let the fact the singer had no voice to speak of ruin their having fun.
    Who is one to say she needs to retire just yet when so many still enjoy going to see her live in concert. This tour is clearly to much for her, and she would be much better off with dotted performances or a residency somewhere.
    At the end of the day, it’s just rather sad she saved what is probably her worst vocal performance ever for such a massively high profile gig. Ah well.
    100% agreement, Ollie.

Unfortunate in what has been a highly successful tour, the difference between Diana on the previous Friday and then Sunday was unbelievable.

But the crowd loved it - someone I know who was there said the crowd on the ground didn't notice anything amiss and it has been a super overall success.

Also the vast majority of the reviews have been positive.

Diana will give up when she herself decides it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    100% agreement, Ollie.

Unfortunate in what has been a highly successful tour, the difference between Diana on the previous Friday and then Sunday was unbelievable.

But the crowd loved it - someone I know who was there said the crowd on the ground didn't notice anything amiss and it has been a super overall success.

Also the vast majority of the reviews have been positive.

Diana will give up when she herself decides it's time.
    It is what it is Flo. I was in London for Wimbledon and watched it with four other people who are not particular Ross fans, but like some of her songs. Everyone was asking the same thing as in “what the hell happened to her voice”?. Perhaps like your friend you needed to be there to soak up the atmosphere.
    I don’t think anyone realistically expects her to sound like she did thirty years ago, but this was a particularly bad showing. Many more performances like this and i personally really hope she calls it a day and leaves us with happy memories of what she once was.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I have to admit that I am a bit torn over this subject. I had written a lengthy post in this thread earlier on, and it ended up deleted, in my attempt to go back and make an edit.

I love Diana dearly, but I also can't deny the reality that she is getting older and her voice is changing. She is still capable of delivering quality performances and superb vocals, but I do think that the back to back schedule of this long tour is understandably wearing on her. I can tell, based on her vocals and overall energy level, at this point. This was evident to me during her Glastonbury performance. I suppose this was obvious to me because I've already watched far too many YouTube clips from her earlier shows on this tour. In my mind, those shows had set a higher benchmark, compared to what I am seeing and hearing now. I don't doubt that all of the travelling and back to back schedule of shows has caught up with her. Hopefully in the future, she can consider doing shorter stints on the road.

I've also noticed that she's had to lip-sync her vocals, for a couple of the outdoor shows on this tour. When I heard her speaking to the audience during one of those shows, her voice was raspy and tired sounding. I'm afraid that this has all been too much for her. Thankfully she has been a real trooper and has not had to cancel any shows, up until this point. Everyone who has been attending her shows in the UK seem to be mostly happy, which is the main thing.

When an artist's voice is tired, overworked and not rested, it will limit one's vocal range and cause issues with not being able to sing consistently on key. I know that this is what she has been up against, during this tour. Being older and having not used her voice consistently for two years further complicates this matter, in regards to the length of time she needs for vocal rest and recovery.

I saw some photos and videos from tonight's show that she did in Durham and it seems she did the entire show in her puffy plad overcoat, slacks and ugg boots. It looked like the weather leading up to this outdoor show was not pleasant. It's just too bad she didn't have anything nicer to wear, that would have kept her warm?

Attachment 19765
    Such a reasoned and thoughtful post, as far as the plaid dress down outfit goes I also think there might be a borderline "really not feeling well" thing going on and she may have thought being warm and comfortable was of paramount concern not glam, and rather than cancel she did both: took care of herself and still did the show

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Such a reasoned and thoughtful post, as far as the plaid dress down outfit goes I also think there might be a borderline "really not feeling well" thing going on and she may have thought being warm and comfortable was of paramount concern not glam, and rather than cancel she did both: took care of herself and still did the show
    Thank you, mindful1. I appreciate that

I agree with you. I think you could be very right about the fact that she may have not been feeling well, and the outdoor setting likely didn't help that, so she chose comfort. Or perhaps there was even a logistical issue as well. It's not really her personality to chose to come on stage in street clothes and phone it in, so to speak...so like you, I'm believing there must be a valid explanation for it.

Thank you, mindful1. I appreciate that

I agree with you. I think you could be very right about the fact that she may have not been feeling well, and the outdoor setting likely didn't help that, so she chose comfort. Or perhaps there was even a logistical issue as well. It's not really her personality to chose to come on stage in street clothes and phone it in, so to speak...so like you, I'm believing there must be a valid explanation for it.
    I have a dvd of Dionne Warwick's recorded at the Syracuse Jazz Festival in 2003. It was rainy weather that day and to my surprise, Dionne did the whole concert in a sweat suit despite the fact that they were filming. Early in the show, she addressed it, basically saying it was more important to dress smart and protect the body and the voice than to put on her finery. Diana might have felt the same.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have a dvd of Dionne Warwick's recorded at the Syracuse Jazz Festival in 2003. It was rainy weather that day and to my surprise, Dionne did the whole concert in a sweat suit despite the fact that they were filming. Early in the show, she addressed it, basically saying it was more important to dress smart and protect the body and the voice than to put on her finery. Diana might have felt the same.
    As much as I love Dionne, she has never shyed away from chosing comfort over glamour. She's worn plenty of baseball caps and sweatshirts for televised interviews and performances, going all the way back to the early 90's lol. It's part of what makes her uniquely Dionne! Although I'm sure you know this too!

As much as I love Dionne, she has never shyed away from chosing comfort over glamour. She's worn plenty of baseball caps and sweatshirts for televised interviews and performances, going all the way back to the early 90's lol. It's part of what makes her uniquely Dionne! Although I'm sure you know this too!
    No doubt.

Although I think if the dvd taping had taken place circa 60s-80s, Dionne would have put on her sequins, despite the rain. But maybe with a nice coat.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Glastonbury performance "I Will Survive". Survive she will, so not yet time to call it a day.

Attachment 19762
    just don’t play My Mistake …..

. Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    No doubt.

Although I think if the dvd taping had taken place circa 60s-80s, Dionne would have put on her sequins, despite the rain. But maybe with a nice coat.
    Lol no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Glastonbury performance "I Will Survive". Survive she will, so not yet time to call it a day.
    So did I! What a spectacular performance by all parties involved including the audience!

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    So did I! What a spectacular performance by all parties involved including the audience!
    I agree, it was spectacular for all the wrong reasons.