[REMOVE ADS]

Ruth Pointer.....no solo?

All the Pointer Sisters recorded solo projects.....except Ruth. Does anyone know why? No interest on Ruth's part or no record label asking? I read Ruth's book a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if she addressed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    All the Pointer Sisters recorded solo projects.....except Ruth. Does anyone know why? No interest on Ruth's part or no record label asking? I read Ruth's book a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if she addressed this issue.
    I don't know why, and have now-and-again thought of this as well - there are members who have read Ruth's book so maybe one will address this for us -

I have read Ruth's book and she never addressed why she never did a solo record. My guess is she had the same problem as Mary Wilson, having a deep voice that is not as commercial as her sisters. Ruth was primarily considered a background singer. I don't think there was an interest in Ruth for a solo lp. Also consider that none of the sisters solo lps did anything anyway.

Anita, in her book, was furious with Ruth for issuing the book without telling her. Anita had been working on her own autobiography only to be one-upped by Ruth. Ruth's explanation was that her book was her solo deal in that it is the only project she did on her own while Anita had one solo lp and June had two. Anita refused to talk to Ruth for well over a year but now they seem to have worked it out although it is reported that Anita is once again having health issues.

I love the Pointers but it would seem their relationships could be as toxic as any of the other girl groups.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

Anita, in her book, was furious with Ruth for issuing the book without telling her. Anita had been working on her own autobiography only to be one-upped by Ruth. Ruth's explanation was that her book was her solo deal in that it is the only project she did on her own while Anita had one solo lp and June had two. Anita refused to talk to Ruth for well over a year but now they seem to have worked it out although it is reported that Anita is once again having health issues.
    I was sad to hear that Anita is ill again. This past season, Ruth competed on THE MASKED SINGER. When she was unmasked, she said that she and Anita were supposed to appear as a duo but Anita had to bow out because of illness.

I'm sure I've read a quote from Ruth that she worked on a solo album in the early 1990s. She brought at least one of the songs to a Pointer Sisters album project subsequently.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I'm sure I've read a quote from Ruth that she worked on a solo album in the early 1990s. She brought at least one of the songs to a Pointer Sisters album project subsequently.
    Yes, I also seem to recall reading that she has an unreleased solo album from the early 90's...as "Don't Walk Away" from the Only Sisters Can Do That album was taken from her shelved solo project, and re-recorded with the three of them.

After a bit of Googling, I managed to find her interview from 2016 with Christian John Wikane, where she discussed her solo project...

"Over the years, Anita, Bonnie, and June each released a solo album but you didn’t. Why was there never a Ruth Pointer solo album?

I started a project before our last album that we did as sisters, Only Sisters Can Do That [[1993). The Pointer Sisters project came up right in the middle of me doing my solo project. I had recorded a few songs with a couple of different producers, some in Nashville and some in Los Angeles. The Pointer Sisters were due to put out an album and they needed material. I gave up the song from my project that I thought was the best one, “Don’t Walk Away”.

That was another reason why I was adamant about doing my own personal book. I felt like everyone else has had a solo project out but me. Still So Excited! is going to be my solo project. That’s what my book represents.

Now, I do have different producers wanting to put some music out with me since this book is coming out. I’m glad that I’ve waited because I think that it’s a whole different flavor. I would have done something completely different had it materialized back at that time, before the twins were born. Now it can actually be a little more directly solo rather than something that’s just going to sound like the Pointer Sisters."

https://www.popmatters.com/fame-fait...495456166.html

I think Bayou has it right. Ruth stayed mostly in the background but occasionally got her lead chance on songs like Automatic and Blind Faith. Automatic was a hit, but if I recall correctly none of the handful of other songs she did were a hit. Also, the Pointers hit their peak with Breakout but after that they struggled--so the timing for a Ruth solo record was over before it began.

"Neutron Dance," led by Ruth, was most certainly a hit. It peaked at #6 on the Hot 100. And the other members had solo albums in the latter half of the 1980s...

I thought that was Anita, my bad

I was right and Smallworld is incorrect. June sang lead on Jump.

I said nothing about "Jump." Here is the music video for "Neutron Dance," where people can hear and see Ruth Pointer lead the song.

I forgot about that dopey Nuetron Dance song. What does that even mean?

Ruth definitely carried this performance

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I forgot about that dopey Nuetron Dance song. What does that even mean?
    I loved [[and still love) Neutron Dance! A real dance-floor filler in its day. The word 'neutron' was used as a metaphor for positive energy in the face of negative life experiences.

My secret shame is that I actually liked Neutron Dance.