[REMOVE ADS]

Labelle-the musical. London

Nona , Sara, Patti and Cindyhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8mXzzyp48

Damn, this is shocking to me... But I'm happy, because to me Patti's golden era were the Labelle years and they were soul/rock pioneers in the 60s-70s..

Looking forward to see how this turns out

If LaBelle The Musical plays in The States, I'm up for seeing the show! Thanks Luke for the news.

This would be great if it played on Broadway. But it doesn't seem to be playing in a regular West End Theatre in London. It looks like it will be playing mostly matinees, three times a week on Fri, Sat and Sun. Almost sounds like dinner theatre.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...ih=688&dpr=1.1

Here is a description of the venue

https://www.devere.co.uk/grand-connaught-rooms/

Please don't go to see this, even if it ever actually happens. The people promoting this show haven't gotten permission from any of the three Labelle ladies. This is a rogue production. That comes directly from Nona's manager.

That makes sense. The use of an image of the actual members was a red flag.

Seems like they’d be grateful that someone gives a rats Tail enough to make the bother at this point in time …

Boogie that was a terrible thing to say. It's about their legacy.

sounds like they’re taking themselves a bit too seriously in their stuffy older ages, who do they think they are, abba ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Seems like they’d be grateful that someone gives a rats Tail enough to make the bother at this point in time …
    There is a revival of a musical on Broadway right now that is biographical about entertainer Fanny Brice, who was a comedienne, singer, film and theatre actress and starred in a radio show. The revival is doing well, and the original production in 1964 and the following film were both very successful. Fanny Brice died in 1951 and today most people don't even know who she was. But decades later, it seems that people gave a rats tail enough to buy tickets for FUNNY GIRL which is her life story

Probably not the production currently in London, but I would love to see a Broadway musical about La Belle and how it morphed from the Ordettes and the Del-Capris, to the Bluebelles. to Patti LaBelle and the Bluebells with founding members Patti LaBelle Cindy Birdsong, Nona Hendryx, and Sarah Dash.

Nice story milven. See this is what can happen if someone gives a rat's tail enough to go to all the bother of putting together a musical about somebody... maybe someone should relate this story to Patti .

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Boogie that was a terrible thing to say. It's about their legacy.
    Never any shortage of terrible things to say from some of our members, unfortunately. But glad we found out that this is an unauthorized, and unsupported production.

I like Boogiedown but in this instance he is jumping to conclusions about three people he doesn't even know. They are not taking themselves "too seriously." Nona and Patti are not like that at all--in fact they hate talking about the the drama surrounding the break up because they've all moved way beyond that. That being said, their work and their legacy as performers are theirs and nobody else's. To not even ask permission to tell their story is, to me, pretty outrageous. It is disrespectful regardless of their ages or lack of interest on the public's part.

Oh for crying out loud . What is about their legacy that they are worried about that some zany [hopefully] play could tarnish ? For heaven sakes they were lively entertainers who dressed like space aliens and wore mo hawks on their album covers what is there to tarnish ? They presented a fun time and and I’m guessing that’s what the play does. That they had conflicts is no one’s fault but their own and so what , a play with warts and all is going to ruin them ? What’s going to happen , they’ll take away their Nobel Peace Prize ?

Now having said all that yes there are better ways to go about it , maybe they decided it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Too many hands involved ok’ing this vetoing that and you wind up with watered down nothing.
    it’s just a shame that we live in a world of litigation and brand ownership that we find someone doing a play about us something to be pissed about. Yes that’s reality and yes it’s still a shame.
    if this thing has wings and takes off and Labelle is suddenly hot again …..oh why am I trying to suggest this could be a good thing, these days being offended is what matters.

im trying to imagine Grace Jones in this situation. Hmmm I’m visualizing her sitting front row and center opening night having a ball savoring the effort even if she really thought it was a piece ‘o sh!t.

I really doubt that this will take off. I don't even think it's going to happen at all. But I'm curious, Boogie, how did you feel about none of the Supremes being consulted or paid for Dreamgirls?

HI Bobby
    I think they got a LOT of free mileage out of it.
    Labelle should only wish they could be used and abused like that

HI BoogsieWoogsie---I agree but what I'm asking specifically is if you thought the Supremes should have been consulted or paid for Dreamgirls? I'm on the fence myself--after all it is not exactly their story

I think it goes back to watering down. By the time everyone agrees it’s been properly sanitized, you wind up with nothing. And as you say , it’s a story loosely based on them , they weren’t trying to do a documentary or anything that close.

maybe Diana Ross had the right idea with LADY SINGS … or Babs with FUNNY GIRL

just wait until they’re dead and what are they gonna do about it

Fair enough. I officially forgive you for your earlier insolence. Want to hear two Babs stories that really happened? It's great trash

Hee haw
    Would love it !!

It's the first offering from a new venue in London. I will very likely go and report back. London does need more music venues with dining and this has the potential to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Nice story milven. See this is what can happen if someone gives a rat's tail enough to go to all the bother of putting together a musical about somebody... maybe someone should relate this story to Patti .
    Labelle will never be forgotten enough to let someone steal their legacy and their money. Jukebox musicals are big business. Tina Turner - a non-writer - was able to sell her catalog for $50 million based largely on the box office success of her musical "Tina." The estates of MJ and Donna Summer have made $$$$$ on their musicals.

The legendary Nona Hendryx - one of the greatest songwriters in popular music - should profit extravagantly from ANY musical purporting to tell the story of Labelle. And if she can't, shut it down!

As one of the ‘greatest songwriters in popular music’
    surely she’s plenty rich already

True Babs story #1: Back in college in the 80's, my best friend Jim informed me that he was going to see Barbara Streisand in concert and asked me to go with him. In a moment of momentary insanity I agreed to go even though I had zero interest in seeing her. Anyway, we went to the show, and I sat there looking at my watch praying to GOD it would soon be over, as Jim waxed rhapsodical about Bab's warbling, singing along and gesticulating like a big drag queen. Just when I thought I couldn't take anymore, it happened. Babs was in between two numbers and there were a couple of seconds of silence in the auditorium. As if on cue, a portly redneck guy who was sitting directly behind us said the following, really loud: "She ain't much to look at, but boy can that BITCH sing!!" True story.

Oh wow I wonder if she heard him yikes !

After seeing her, did you leave with, as patti would say, a new attitude?

I don't think she heard him, we were quite a ways from the stage--but everyone around us busted out laughing! I just about levitated off the floor upon hearing this!!!! And no, my attitude towards poor Babs did not improve, in fact it worsened.

Perfect.

im curious what was it about the show that worsened it ??
    then on to story #2

I just hate her, Boogie. That is all.
    Now for Babs story #2

……Oh my ….

So back in, I guess, 1990 I stayed at the Palace Hotel in Disney World. As per usual, whenever I stayed at a nice hotel, I'd immediately befriend the concierge and this was no exception. I love hearing trashy celeb stories and concierges, like background singers, always have the best stories. Anyway the concierge told me that the Palace was basically hot chit, which I wasn't aware of when I booked it, and he said several celebrities had permanent suites there. He said Michael Jackson had one, and the other celeb was Babs Streisand. I wanted to meet Michael, but he said MJ wasn't there at the time and I was disappointed. So I asked if Babs was there, and to my surprise, he said yes she was. When I looked intrigued, the concierge shot me a look like I wouldn't go there if I were you. He informed me that she was "unkind" but the look on his face said it was a bit more than that!! Naturally I had to spot her and wait for something awful to happen. Eventually, it did! A few days later I was riding the elevator non-stop, hoping for an encounter, and one day the doors opened and there she was!! I just about died! She just stared icily forward, not acknowledging me at all. We started downward towards the front office and I just acted like I didn't know who she was! Before we got to the first floor, the elevator doors opened again and this dopey guy came charging in! He instantly knew who it was, apparently he was a big fan, and he gushed "Oh Miss Streisand, you're the best!! Can I have an autograph!!" I knew from Babs' evil glare that this was a big mistake! She just looked him up and down with a look that can be described only as pure contempt, and she replied "oh PHUCK YOU!" only it wasn't spelled with a "ph." She stormed off the elevator and the fan and I just walked off, stunned. Ahhh I love good trash. I think my brain is rotting.

Bobby….. this sounds like a script from a movie …. Riding the elevator over and over just for the chance … Hee haw
    either you’re
    just a darn good storyteller , and/or this is what actually happened [which I think is the case].

….you are perfect in every way

PERFECT?!!! You poor thing, your mind has finally left you! And yes both of these stories did indeed happen! I've had many many encounters with these artists.

Name:  mojo June 2022.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  93.8 KB
    Labelle is in this issue of MOJO magazine June 2022!

awesome!! I don't have this yet!

From the desk of Vicki Wickham:

Hi Friends and Family,

No need to call. This is to make you aware of an Unauthorized, Unapproved and Unsanctioned show “LABELLE THE MUSICAL’ is being advertised on social media in London, scheduled to open October, 2022. It is nothing to do with any of Labelle [[Patti LaBelle, Nona Hendryx, family of Sarah Dash). Some unauthorized person/persons are going ahead with it and unfortunately it appears we haven’t been able to stop it to date. It seems he/they think anyone can basically write anything they want about you and unless it’s libelous or defamatory you cannot stop. them We do have a plus in that our attorney has written and delivered a letter stating that we haven’t sanctioned the use of and will not allow them to license Nona’s music written for Labelle. Which they appear to be ignoring. But, of course , there’s a lot of music and early music that we don’t control including LADY M.

This is just to let you know that we have nothing to do with this poor presentation/shit!!!! So please don’t buy tickets!!!!
    And …….If you could be bothered to let your friends and others know or to mention this on your social media, it would help our cause as ,of course, most people might think it has our consent or permission.

Many thanks,

'A very pissed VICKI' Angry face with horns

P.S., apologies for notifying you electronically and probably sending a duplicate. Computers are not my forte!!

P.P.S., No need to phone me, I will only rant!!

Thanks, BrotherLove, for passing that on. I will certainly abide by Vicki & Labelle's wishes. The only 'good' thing is that perhaps a legit creator will see the value in presenting the Labelle story.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    PERFECT?!!! You poor thing, your mind has finally left you! And yes both of these stories did indeed happen! I've had many many encounters with these artists.
    I don't at all disbelieve you, BobbyC. I'm a Streisand fan and have heard similar stories for decades. I would suggest that you not bother to 'hate' her or anyone; just move on. You have interesting posts and I'm always interested to read them. Stay well!