[REMOVE ADS]

The Current Jeopardy Champ

As of today, June 22, we have a six-day champion on the show and she is certainly unique. Her six wins have only averaged about $10,000 per show, which isn't chicken feed, but at the same time, it does not compare to some of the mega-champs they have had. So when the time comes, I think she will get eaten alive in the tournament later this year.

Anyway, the fascinating point about her has been her wagering at Final Jeopardy time. She has now won three of her six games by a two-dollar margin, and I think she has been behind in at least two of those cases, but just outsmarted the other contestants on the math.

Not a topic of major interest to most of you I realize but I am sure my fellow Jeopardy fans on here have noticed this as well. We will see how much longer her luck can hold out.

Yeah, she's smart, but she makes me think I would have a good shot of unseating her. The last guy was good, but there was a period where I'd swear he got the wrong answer on Final Jeopardy 5 out of 8 times and still managed to win. A couple of other times, he didn't wager enough to cover an all-in bet by the second place finisher, only for them both to get it wrong. It's like he was betting that they'd both lose and they did. He made me mad in his final game because like almost all of the mega champs, he didn't buzz in on what I thought were easy questions.

Yes, and she only wins by the skin of her teeth. She must have the record for having the lowest money total for so many wins. She seems lucky, but not as smart as some of her opponents. Furthermore, it seems that sometimes a correct answer was ruled out when
    it could have been acceptable. Mayim seems to mispronounce words and hesitates too long to rule an answer correct. Always in a hurry to rule an answer incorrect. However, she has good stage presence and poise.
    Last edited by 9A; 06-22-2022 at 04:00 PM.

As you no doubt noticed, the party ended tonight for that lady. But she will still be back for the tournament in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, she's smart, but she makes me think I would have a good shot of unseating her. The last guy was good, but there was a period where I'd swear he got the wrong answer on Final Jeopardy 5 out of 8 times and still managed to win. A couple of other times, he didn't wager enough to cover an all-in bet by the second place finisher, only for them both to get it wrong. It's like he was betting that they'd both lose and they did. He made me mad in his final game because like almost all of the mega champs, he didn't buzz in on what I thought were easy questions.
    I noticed in Ryan's last game that he didn't seem to have much energy during most of the game. So it was no surprise that he lost.

I have seen this in other champs who seem to have fizzled out on their last game. Austin Rogers, Matt Amodio and even Amy Schneider. Either they are exhausted from playing games back-to-back and their brains turn to mush or their response time with the buzzer has slowed. Sometimes I wonder if they need to get back to their homes or jobs or just have had enough.

I read online that Matt, and recently Ryan, both talked about how they just didn't have it all together, either buzzing-in or concentration, for their last games and thus the losses after each having so many wins.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 06-23-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Yes, and she only wins by the skin of her teeth. She must have the record for having the lowest money total for so many wins. She seems lucky, but not as smart as some of her opponents. Furthermore, it seems that sometimes a correct answer was ruled out when
    it could have been acceptable. Mayim seems to mispronounce words and hesitates too long to rule an answer correct. Always in a hurry to rule an answer incorrect. However, she has good stage presence and poise.
    I notice Mayim seems to delay confirming a correct answer when its a Daily Double. There's always a 2 or 3 second delay. She also seems to be overly excited EVERY time the contestant chooses the Daily Double. Sometimes the excitement is warranted but many times not. Other than that I enjoy her hosting, although I think I would prefer Ken to be the permanent host. There is recent info on line that Buzzy might get the permanent job.

I think the producers are encouraging all the hype around contestants and stats. I have been visiting the Jeopardy website and I think there are changes. There is a page of Daily Box Scores that gives the percentages of correct/incorrect replies, the number of times buzzing-in etc. I only noticed it a few months ago when Ken was starting to cite some of these stats during the introductions. Maybe it's been there a while but I only noticed it this year.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-...ily-box-scores

Although Megan won by the skin of her teeth for most of her games I think she is typical of most players. We have been getting too accustomed to the mega-champs. The Tournament Tracker page does confirm that Megan is indeed a low money scorer in comparison to other winners eligible for the tournament.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    As you no doubt noticed, the party ended tonight for that lady. But she will still be back for the tournament in November.
    I went out to dinner last night and forgot to set my DVR. I was looking for info online but couldn't find it. Thanks for the update.

People are cracking on the show for misspelling "equally" yesterday. Curiously, our version of the show had the word spelled correctly.

So it seems they didn’t catch it in post-production but only became aware of it when those in early time zones started posting on social media, interesting.