[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes on ‘Pyramid’ gameshow

On Sunday night [[June 19, 2022), on ABC-TV’s “$100,000 Pyramid,” the category was “girl groups.” The audience can see that the contestant is trying to get the celebrity to say “The Supremes,” but the contestant’s hint or clue that she gave was: “Dionne Warwick and the … “ The celebrity guest did correct the contestant AFTER the time ran out that Ms. Warwick was not a Supreme.

I generally watch that show because I enjoy it but I think that one was a repeat so I did not watch it. As for the mistake that was made, that sadly reflects the fact that sooooo much time has passed and soooooooo many artists have come and gone and as a result, our classic singers just mean very little to the general public anymore. Yet old codgers like me can remember when the Supremes were the guests on What's My Line??? Oh my!!!

I could maybe understand if they thought Warwick fronted the Shirelles, perhaps, or even the Sweet Inspirations, because she shared some background with both groups [[record label in the former, family in the latter) but the Supremes? I can't imagine that would make sense to most people. Even many younger folks who never were around back then know that Ross was the lead singer of the Sups. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I generally watch that show because I enjoy it but I think that one was a repeat so I did not watch it. As for the mistake that was made, that sadly reflects the fact that sooooo much time has passed and soooooooo many artists have come and gone and as a result, our classic singers just mean very little to the general public anymore. Yet old codgers like me can remember when the Supremes were the guests on What's My Line??? Oh my!!!
    I hear 'ya Dave! And if any one of us from this forum was on that show, we would've got that answer right.

I am surprised that Dionne didn't "twote" about it. Probably the only reason the contestant [[I haven't seen it) knows her name is because of her presence on Twitter. The classic artists have long been forgotten by the younger generation. If they are not branded on social media people don't know them. Unlike my Parent's generation who knew who was in the Supremes, today's artists come by so quickly and leave just as quickly. I also knew the artists who my Parents listened to, as well.

don't forget that at that moment, they're under incredible pressure. they're on tv and trying to win so what blurts out of their mouths might be whatever. they might not even really realize the error until it's brought to their attention

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    don't forget that at that moment, they're under incredible pressure. they're on tv and trying to win so what blurts out of their mouths might be whatever. they might not even really realize the error until it's brought to their attention
    I think it had more to do with her youth and inexperience.

The most funny qoute from Ms Warwick, when she was asked to write a book: "honey, look it up on Wikipedia".

to the current Top 40 audience, Whitney Houston and Madonna are examples of "classic artists';; the time wheel has turned many times since The Supremes were 'top of the pops'