[REMOVE ADS]

Anita Baker's summer concert dates: Detroit, Toronto, Chicago, ATL

Great news for Detroit, as she has finally been able to resume her farewell tour and bring her show to her hometown. It's amazing to hear that she sold out Detroit's Little Caesar's Arena in just a few hours, after it went on sale a few weeks ago. She had also done a two week stint in Vegas again, a few weeks ago, which also sold out almost instantly. Her most recently announced show will be at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, which went on sale on Friday. It sounds like she will also be announcing summer shows for Chicago and ATL, very soon. Apparently she has new music on the way as well, but I am not holding my breath lol. However, I got my tix and I am excited to be seeing her for the first time, this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Great news for Detroit, as she has finally been able to resume her farewell tour and bring her show to her hometown. It's amazing to hear that she sold out Detroit's Little Caesar's Arena in just a few hours, after it went on sale a few weeks ago. She had also done a two week stint in Vegas again, a few weeks ago, which also sold out almost instantly. Her most recently announced show will be at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, which went on sale on Friday. It sounds like she will also be announcing summer shows for Chicago and ATL, very soon. Apparently she has new music on the way as well, but I am not holding my breath lol. However, I got my tix and I am excited to be seeing her for the first time, this summer!
    Enjoy! I love her show. I've seen her twice. The first time was her "first" farewell tour in 2018. She's been saying farewell for a while and it's alright with me.

I hope Anita comes my way this go-round. I've seen her many times in person, the last time being the evening that Aretha passed. As you can imagine, it was an emotional night.

Anita is also one of the only artists I've heard play their own music over the pa system before their concert starts. The first time it happened, I got to the venue and heard SWEET LOVE playing. I thought I had gotten the start time wrong but it turned out that they were just playing her live cd before the concert itself started.

Another time, while waiting for the show to start, almost the entire RAPTURE album was played before Anita's show began. And what did she start with? MYSTERY from RAPTURE. :-)

No matter. I hope I get to see her again.

Thanks Guy! Yes, you're right...she seems to be taking her time saying farewell. I'm ok with that too

Reese, that must have been quite an emotional night indeed, to have seen Anita the same night that Aretha passed. I hope you get to see her again soon too. I'll be keeping an attentive ear when I arrive at the venue, to see if she is playing her music before the show

Thanks Guy! Yes, you're right...she seems to be taking her time saying farewell. I'm ok with that too

Reese, that must have been quite an emotional night indeed, to have seen Anita the same night that Aretha passed. I hope you get to see her again soon too. I'll be keeping an attentive ear when I arrive at the venue, to see if she is playing her music before the show
    Carlo, it really was an emotional day. That morning, I had been at my desk for about an hour when a friend emailed to tell me about Aretha. I wrote a note to my supervisor saying I had to leave and went home. I stayed glued to my tv watching Aretha coverage until leaving for Anita's concert.

As always, Anita was great. Kelly Price was in the audience and Anita called her onstage for a song. Later, as she sang JUST BECAUSE, a screen showed photos of deceased celebrities. Aretha's photo was saved for last and when it appeared, the whole audience stood.

Coincidentally, Aretha was the only other artist [besides Anita] that I knew to play her own music before a concert. Before one Radio City Hall concert, she played about half of the JUMP TO IT album. But unlike Anita, Aretha had so many hits that she could never possibly perform them all during a show.

Reese,

Yes, I don't blame you for leaving work. I will freely admit that I ended up crying in the stairwell at work for a few minutes, when I had heard the news that Aretha had passed. It's nice to hear that she had brought Kelly Price onstage for that emotional show.

I only saw Aretha once, I think in 2011, but I don't remember if she had been playing her music before the show. I don't doubt you that she normally did though. This was around the time she had released her "A Woman Falling Out Of Love" CD.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-20-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Reese,

Yes, I don't blame you for leaving work. I will freely admit that I ended up crying in the stairwell at work for a few minutes, when I had heard the news that Aretha had passed. It's nice to hear that she had brought Kelly Price onstage for that emotional show.

I only saw Aretha once, I think in 2011, but I don't remember if she had been playing her music before the show. I don't doubt you that she normally did though. This was around the time she had released her "A Woman Falling Out Of Love" CD.
    I should mention that Aretha only played her own music once. :-)

I remember seeing her a few times around the release of A WOMAN FALLING OUT OF LOVE. Whenever she would plug it and say it could be found at Walmart, the audience would laugh.

Auntie B is having some kinda 21st century! Got her masters back, fulfilled her previous [[dubious?) record contract, AND blew the lid off the music industry's chicanery. To now another "Farewell Tour!" We ain't mad at you Aunty!! Keep bowing out and bowing in. We love you for it. Once a boss, always a boss. Also, she dropped most of her catalog back on Spotify, etc. Yaayyyy!! Giving us the best that she got.