[REMOVE ADS]

Does Anybody Remember A Guy Named Prince?

I'm listening to the Political Beats podcast 3-episode series based on this extraordinary performer. And, wondering. Why does no one discuss Prince? Ok, we're Soulful Detroit. GET IT! But ... is another discussion of the switching of lead vocal on 'People' in concert almost 60 years ago [which, really, NO ONE here who discusses so expertly actually witnessed) or the nearly 50-year-old minor success of the High Energy album [which endless discussions will not change) really more impactful than the output of Prince? Sorry, not sorry.

I Remember Prince and Always Will!! I'm a Huge Fan of his work who was fortunate to witness his blazing run of hits, concerts & movies during the '80s. While it's sad that we don't discuss him that much on this site, that's just how it is.

PS: I posted this recently and it's a must have for Prince fans;

Prince And The Revolution "Live" [1985 Concert] 2CD/1BD set [6/3/2022-NPG/Legacy] [soulfuldetroit.com
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks, Eddie! I had not seen that post - don't visit here quite as often as in the past. Did you have a favorite Prince era? I don't have a fav 'era' myself, I'm more of an every-album-was-good, every third of so [[just a guess-ti-mate!) was great!

Peace: As I expected would happen, all you have to do is bring someone up on here and the discussion will take on a life of its own. For me personally, I was turned on to Prince by the 1999 album, but even though I bought a few others, he never quite matched that in my opinion. Maybe he got "too" creative, if that is possible.....

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thanks, Eddie! I had not seen that post - don't visit here quite as often as in the past. Did you have a favorite Prince era? I don't have a fav 'era' myself, I'm more of an every-album-was-good, every third of so [[just a guess-ti-mate!) was great!
    My favorite Prince era was the mid '80s with 1999, Purple Rain, Parade & Sign O' The Times. I even loved the non LP B-sides from this period as well [including "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore", "Erotic City", "Irresistible Bitch", "17 Days" and others]. Also saw him Live in concert several times between 1982 and 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Peace: As I expected would happen, all you have to do is bring someone up on here and the discussion will take on a life of its own. For me personally, I was turned on to Prince by the 1999 album, but even though I bought a few others, he never quite matched that in my opinion. Maybe he got "too" creative, if that is possible.....
    Interesting, DD - I was a Dirty Mind' origination story. 1999 was a killer, to be sure! I fell off after The Black Album, which I thought was a bit repetitive and dull. After that there were just to many lps being released too close together! I was back on the bus with Plectrum... I still stand by my opinion that Prince was too wantonly prolific for his own or the public good. Did / do you have a preference between synth Prince and guitar Prince?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, DD - I was a Dirty Mind' origination story. 1999 was a killer, to be sure! I fell off after The Black Album, which I thought was a bit repetitive and dull. After that there were just to many lps being released too close together! I was back on the bus with Plectrum... I still stand by my opinion that Prince was too wantonly prolific for his own or the public good. Did / do you have a preference between synth Prince and guitar Prince?
    Coincidentally, the first album I purchased by Prince was Dirty Mind. While I enjoyed the combination of Funk, New Wave Rock and X-Rated lyrics on that album [and the follow up, Controversy], he truly impressed me with 1999 & Purple Rain. Like you I didn't like The Black Album either. After that, there were still albums by Prince that I Loved [Diamonds And Pearls, The Gold Experience & Emancipation] and ones I didn't [Come, New Power Soul, Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic & N.E.W.S.]. I never had a preference between Synth or Guitar Prince; for me it all depends on the song [but I do agree with you that he put out too many albums].

Yeah, I remember an artist name Prince, who in my opinion owned the 80s. Had a fantastic classic Album run from Dirty Mind - LoveSexy and was the last artist to have that classic run that shaped popular culture and changed the game.

Unfortunately his ego got too big and he went downhill around the 90s and never recovered since. George Michael was spot on when he said this "Because I'm Prince I'm going to release an album and think it's good." Releasing way too many albums were his biggest weakness

But I do miss him a lot, he was brilliant, fav album of his is 1999
    Last edited by MichaelSherry59; 06-17-2022 at 08:41 PM.

I was a huge Prince fan beginning with "Dirty Mind," which seems to be when a lot of us were first introduced to him. I remember taking the album "1999" to a work Christmas party, and all the stuffed shirts, when the DJ first [[reluctantly) put "DMSR" on the turntable were telling everyone they could blame me for the choice of music. Within a few minutes all those same stuffed shirts were out dancing or at least approximating a reasonable facsimile thereof...as they say...

I kind of stopped listening to Prince after "Diamonds and Pearls" and the disappointing film "Under a Cherry Moon." I did find a bootleg copy of "The Black Album," and actually loved it, contrary to some of the earlier members' postings. But eventually I stopped following him. I was never even aware of many of the releases which came from his fan club.

After his death, I collected many of the albums I hadn't heard earlier. I agree, much of his work is a mixed bag, but I still think his early work is simply brilliant and had a huge impact on music at the time.

Something I've discovered is there's a fan forum dedicated to him which is interesting to read sometimes:

https://prince.org/

Now if you think some members here get pissy over small things, like whatever Diane wore to what performance, take a gander at some of the exchanges over on the Prince forum. We are simply genteel compared to some of what goes on over there!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Something I've discovered is there's a fan forum dedicated to him which is interesting to read sometimes:

https://prince.org/

Now if you think some members here get pissy over small things, like whatever Diane wore to what performance, take a gander at some of the exchanges over on the Prince forum. We are simply genteel compared to some of what goes on over there!
    Thanks for sharing the link to the Prince Fan Forum. And I agree with you that there's a lot of 'drama' between various folks who post on that site [LOL].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link to the Prince Fan Forum. And I agree with you that there's a lot of 'drama' between various folks who post on that site [LOL].
    Maybe we should make Ralph look at it so he doesn't think we're so bad!

I have been a huge Prince fan since 1979. I lost interest after the "Emancipation" album. What a senseless waste. All he had to do was get the damn hip replacement.

Prince??? I'm a fan,but all i been hearing lately is his songs...enough already!!!!!!!