[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Pride Release for June

Mary's Estate is excited to release an EP of some of her most scintillating songs about pride, joy, and living life positively—including the dance floor-ready "Red Hot" Eric Kupper Mix! https://MaryWilson.lnk.to/CelebratingPride

It's no surprise that Mary Wilson was a supporter of the LGBTQ community, marching in numerous Pride parades over the years and sharing love and kindness with her fans of all backgrounds.

Mary was truly ahead of her time, and the LGBTQ community knew they had an ally in her.

Happy #Pride!

https://MaryWilson.lnk.to/CelebratingPride

hey cash in where you can ! god bless America!

I admit I am not thrilled that the Mary Wilson Estate just recycled the recent releases to her LGBTQIA+ fans. Not exactly what any fan would hope for. I think, from what I hear, we are at the end of releases from the Mary Wilson Estate. One would have hoped that they would have gone on and released the unreleased demos for Atlantic, the Walk the Line CD, the singles such as U and Turn Around as well as the unreleased songs from the proposed Clarity CD. Alas, now this will never happen. When Mary passed so did any chances for that or for any high profile promotion of the Supremes' legacy i.e. the 60th Anniversary of The Supremes.

This release eludes to an EP; to me that means physical release? Otherwise this is just a Spotify playlist.

As someone that's part of the LGBTQ community, nothing about these songs exactly screams PRIDE. A dare say it's a sell out, quite honestly.

We are going to get some more previously unreleased Mary Wilson material from Sweet Feet Records. In April, Sweet Feet issued this statement on their Facebook page: "Today was a Fantastic day in the studio working w Antoine Davis engineering and Producer Paul Brewer Executive Producer for the new Mary Wilson tracks soon to be released. The late Supremes Vocalist went on to have a thriving Lead Vocal career of her own. She was a beautiful gem inside and out so I’m elated To be the Vocal producer, doing the background Arrangements, singing all the parts as a guide for the backing singers. Antoine, so easy to work with, fast and ears of an eagle for any flat or sharp demons running around. You all are going to love this new project! Thank you Paul for trusting me on this project, I’m deeply honored!" Then, in May they posted: "Absolute Fabulous Session today w second song on MARY WILSON project, produced by Paul Brewer, Sweet Feet Music. "

A few months back, I asked them about the upcoming release and shared with them that in 2018, Ms. Wilson told me she had given Sweet Feet some unreleased tracks to prepare for release. I asked what the tracks were that she gave them and if those were the same ones on this upcoming release. They responded: " These are not those masters / those were Gus Dudgeon sessions." So, whatever we are going to get from Sweet Feet, we know it is not the Dudgeon tracks again. Supposedly, they are "new" tracks....

Thanks for this info, mistercarter2u!

I'm wondering who the "Mary Wilson Estate" is ....her kids??

"marching in numerous Pride parades over the years" , this connotes a different imagery than someone who is promoting their music by performing on a float.... did Mary "march"??

Anything for a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary's Estate is excited to release an EP of some of her most scintillating songs about pride, joy, and living life positively—including the dance floor-ready "Red Hot" Eric Kupper Mix! https://MaryWilson.lnk.to/CelebratingPride

It's no surprise that Mary Wilson was a supporter of the LGBTQ community, marching in numerous Pride parades over the years and sharing love and kindness with her fans of all backgrounds.

Mary was truly ahead of her time, and the LGBTQ community knew they had an ally in her.

Happy #Pride!

https://MaryWilson.lnk.to/CelebratingPride
    this is a rip off and pure Usery of the LGBTQ community. These songs are not about pride or anything like that. They are just the same old retreads that are over 40 years old. I’m fine if they want to send them out again there’s nothing wrong with repackaging things, they don’t pull this pride songs crap because it’s not true. Thousands of stars marched in gay pride parades and were supportive and are supportive and I’m glad that Mary was supportive and I certainly appreciate her loving support of the gay community but she was not ahead of her time in that at all.

I don’t think one person in 1000 of the LGBTQ community has ever even heard of mary wilson. Everything she did on behalf of gay people and her many other charities is wonderful, but don’t over sell it. It’s insulting. All they are doing here is trying to cash in on gay pride it’s not like they’re donating the money to anything. I would then be 100% supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    this is a rip off and pure Usery of the LGBTQ community. These songs are not about pride or anything like that. They are just the same old retreads that are over 40 years old. I’m fine if they want to send them out again there’s nothing wrong with repackaging things, they don’t pull this pride songs crap because it’s not true. Thousands of stars marched in gay pride parades and were supportive and are supportive and I’m glad that Mary was supportive and I certainly appreciate her loving support of the gay community but she was not ahead of her time in that at all.

I don’t think one person in 1000 of the LGBTQ community has ever even heard of mary wilson. Everything she did on behalf of gay people and her many other charities is wonderful, but don’t over sell it. It’s insulting. All they are doing here is trying to cash in on gay pride it’s not like they’re donating the money to anything. I would then be 100% supportive.
    Mary Wilson herself was always quite supportive of the LGBTQIA+ Community and her LGBTQIA+ fanbase. Here, there is nothing that is exactly reflective of Pride. Albeit, the dance music is something her fanbase may like. Only Why Can't We All Get Along is the only thing close to a message song for the community and it is newer but has been released twice already via streaming and physical CD. The estate has made some missteps from what I understand and this is another one. I don't think it was meant to be insulting just misguided.

I'm a bit 'whatever' and underwhelmed. Seems more like a promo opp than anything. I have to agree largely with MotownManiac in that I've been an adult & gay AF since the mid 70's and I have exactly 1 gay friend who is a Mary fan. I certainly don't say that Mary was not friendly to the community, but using terms like 'supporter' and 'ahead of her time' are a bit of a reach! No harm, no foul, but I'm not convinced. Anyone see Ron Desantis' claims about his support of the community in the past day or two??

Unfortunately it appears Mary's Estate is now in the wrong hands. No one LGBTQ that previously was in her inner circle would have allowed this.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Unfortunately it appears Mary's Estate is now in the wrong hands. No one LGBTQ that previously was in her inner circle would have allowed this.
    This was a really bad idea and it doesn't look like anyone looks very approvingly at this. I can't imagine they are making much on this.

Over the last couple of decades more and more companies now use Pride Month to splash whatever variation of the rainbow flag/logo to marker themselves and their product. It's all become rather crass marketing. So why shouldn't Mary's estate get in on the action by promoting a streaming playlist? A couple of years ago Diana Ross released a remix of I'm Coming out not long before Pride month, timed for the remix to hopefully hit #1 on the dance club play chart in June and it worked. It's crass and tacky, given the original intent of Pride, but that's how it's done these days.

At least Mary's estate and Diana Ross, hopefully, aren't contributing money to the campaigns and Political action committees of anti gay politicians. Some of the companies who are going all in with their pride logos and campaigns this month can't say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Over the last couple of decades more and more companies now use Pride Month to splash whatever variation of the rainbow flag/logo to marker themselves and their product. It's all become rather crass marketing. So why shouldn't Mary's estate get in on the action by promoting a streaming playlist? A couple of years ago Diana Ross released a remix of I'm Coming out not long before Pride month, timed for the remix to hopefully hit #1 on the dance club play chart in June and it worked. It's crass and tacky, given the original intent of Pride, but that's how it's done these days.

At least Mary's estate and Diana Ross, hopefully, aren't contributing money to the campaigns and Political action committees of anti gay politicians. Some of the companies who are going all in with their pride logos and campaigns this month can't say the same.
    i’m coming out has a lot more to do with gay pride than red hot. It may have been timed to hit during pride, although I don’t recall that. What it was not was marketed and sold as a pride song package. No comparison in southern Illinois anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    i’m coming out has a lot more to do with gay pride than red hot. It may have been timed to hit during pride, although I don’t recall that. What it was not was marketed and sold as a pride song package. No comparison in southern Illinois anyway
    I thought the I'm Coming Out Remix was released to go to #1 and set another record.

In June 2018 Motown/Universal released an Eric Kupner remix of I'm Coming Out/Upside Down. By early August it was #1 on the dance club play chart. June was release date to the club. Just in time for Pride. A song like "I'm Coming Out" doesn't need to have a heavy handed "Pride month" label slapped on it as it sells itself whereas Mary's old disco songs from 1979 that no one knows needs all the help it can get to receive some attention and streaming play.

Motown/Universal knew what they were doing in summer 2018 about the timing of the release.

Although this is blatant cashing in on Pride, Mary's estate is not alone in doing this.

Also, does anyone have any specific examples of/evidence that Mary was a big LGBT+ supporter? Is is true that she attended lots of Pride marches?

I knew Miss Wilson personally, and I can tell you that she loved her LGBTQ fans. She did attend a number of marches and events for those communities, and she also attended RuPaul's DragCon on several occasions. She was very loving and accepting of all people.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I knew Miss Wilson personally, and I can tell you that she loved her LGBTQ fans. She did attend a number of marches and events for those communities, and she also attended RuPaul's DragCon on several occasions. She was very loving and accepting of all people.
    That doesn't surprise me in the least. I have heard much the same from many others who had the privilege of meeting such a wonderfully inspiring and caring lady.

I don't think anyone is disputing Mary was an LGBTQ ally; goodness, there were queens surrounding her back to Gregory the Hairdresser. And I've seen a picture of Mary in the 80's riding in a white limo during a Gay Pride celebration. I'm mobile so I can't post it, but I'm sure you all have seen it. And we all know through years she employed gay assistants; Allen Poe and Tony Turner come to mind.

But to say she was "ahead of her time" is a bit of a stretch, coming from this gay fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Thank you mistercaster. That’s wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Although this is blatant cashing in on Pride, Mary's estate is not alone in doing this.

Also, does anyone have any specific examples of/evidence that Mary was a big LGBT+ supporter? Is is true that she attended lots of Pride marches?

I don’t know if mary attended any marches are not, and I don’t really think that’s the litmus test if someone is a supporter or not. There are many reasons why someone might not attend, more than likely she was booked for a lot of pride events for many years - I know she was for some. That could make it very difficult to attend. I also knew Mary personally, and I can tell you unequivocably, she was an avid supporter. Mary knew exactly what it was like to feel treated lesser than, and she was too much of a sweetheart to want that for others. Many or perhaps even most, of her male friends were gay. Like everybody else, Mary was not perfect, but she most certainly supported the extended gay community.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-18-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Hi, Tom - to my knowledge Mary never attended or participated in a NYC Pride march.

Miss Mary Wilson loved her LGBT fans and heres Mary and her kids in the LA pride parade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Miss Mary Wilson loved her LGBT fans and heres Mary and her kids in the LA pride parade.
    Many thanks for posting Roberta. As far as i’m aware Mary had always been a strong advocate for the gay community. A fact that clearly irks certain posters.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-20-2022 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A fact that clearly irks certain posters.
    ^^^This^^^