[REMOVE ADS]

Chuck Jackson Performing Motown Tracks

May have been posted already but couldn't see - anyhow here's "Lonely, Lonely Man Am I".

"[[You Can't Let The Boy Overpower) The Man In You"

"Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone"

"Are You Lonely For Me Baby"

Chuck Jackson is GREAT.Those Motown tracks are BAAD!I guess they signed him so he wouldn't be competition.

Too true - shame there's not a clip from that time of him singing "Girls, Girls, Girls". Love that song.

Not sure about this..Chuck was a friend of Smokey, who told him to join Motown if he fancied it.

By the time he joined, his career was failing at Wand, and by 1967/8 Male Soul Singers were becomming outdated. Right place, wrong time, career wise.
    For me...?? His 3 Motiwn albums are as good as any Motown artist/group.

He did the best version of "Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone". Cool to see him singing it live.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Too true - shame there's not a clip from that time of him singing "Girls, Girls, Girls". Love that song.
    Oh yes, loved all those clips and too true re "Girls, Girls, Girls. I've got a pretty scratched copy up in the loft somewhere.

I, too, love Chuck Jackson's 3 Motown albums. Relegating him from Motown proper to the VIP label for his 3rd album, however, had to have been an embarrassing slap in the face to him. The Velvelettes were upgraded from VIP to Soul for their final 45 release, but Chuck was degraded to VIP. After all of these years, there has to be a story behind it. Wish I knew why Motown did that to him.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 06-26-2022 at 02:08 AM.

Were labels really regarded as superior - I mean was it really a relegation officially or simply a fan's perception? I just would have thought of it as maybe a re-launch and having too many succesfull artists on certain labels [[or to put it another way the reason they spread artists out across different labels in the first place so as not to saturate the market with one). They also moved The Spinners the same way and had their most succesful product when they did.

Mind you switching The Velvelettes to Soul seems a bit odd - maybe they had a different direction in mind musically.

I think Chuck's Motown recordings are fantastic and pretty much on par with what other artists at the label were releasing at the time. It’s a shame he didn’t have more success with it.

His versions of "Lonely Lonely Man Am I" and "Ain't No Sun" are great. Another favourite of mine is "To See The Sun Again"

I think this could have been a hit!