[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross Cardiff Castle 10/6/22

Just got in after the first night of the UK dates and am underwhelmed to say the least.
    The sound at the Castle was terrible, I will be contacting the promoters, she came on around 8.45 pm and show was over by 10.15 pm
    The set list was
    I'm coming out
    More Today than Yesterday
    Where did our love go
    Baby Love
    Stop in the name of Love
    Come see about me
    You can't hurry love
    Love Child [[ costume change)
    The Boss
    Chain Reaction
    I'm still waiting
    Upside down
    Love Hangover/ take me Higher
    Ease on Down the road [[costume change)
    Why do fools fall in love
    If we hold on together
    If the World Just Danced
    Mahogany/ ain't no mountain
    I will Survive[[ God help me)
    Best years of my life
    If there is a sound man on this tour he needs a kick up the arse !! I hope that the rest of the tour is better than the opening night and definitely hope Glastonbury appearance is better than this
    Last edited by dickiemint; 06-11-2022 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added details

Oh. Thank you for sharing

As an American, I would have been very pleased with that set list. [[sound issues aside). Interesting that she did not perform more material from her last album.

On the whole not the worst set list but no Upside Down nor When You Tell Me That You Love Me.

But the sound problems are disappointing - lets hope this is only a one -off.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Just got in after the first night of the UK dates and am underwhelmed to say the least.
    The sound at the Castle was terrible, I will be contacting the promoters, she came on around 8.45 pm and show was over by 10.15 pm
    The set list was
    I'm coming out
    Where did our love go
    Baby Love
    Stop in the name of Love
    Come see about me
    You can't hurry love
    The Boss
    Chain Reaction
    I'm still waiting
    Ease on Down the road
    If we hold on together
    If the World Just Danced
    Best years of my life
    If there is a sound man on this tour he needs a kick up the arse !! I hope that the rest of the tour is better than the opening night and definitely hope Glastonbury appearance is better than this
    Sorry to hear about your experience dickie. Do you think the acoustics had anything to do with the poor sound quality?. Was she singing live most of the time?.
    Thanks for making me laugh as regards the dreaded “IWS” lol.

Sorry just edited original post she did do Upside down and Why do fools, I was surprised and disappointed that Thank you wasn't included and more New songs, not much interaction with the crowd, at the end the crowd started singing Reach out and touch, but she came on in jogging bottoms Ugg boots and a big check shirt and sung best years
    I hope that the show improves for the rest of the tour

That's a shame about the sound system; I hope you can get a refund! Other than that this seems like a fairly reliable Diana show. She's been doing 1:15 - 1:30 for years [[decades?) so the length of the show should not surprise anyone. I've seen Nina, Ella, Peggy all perform 1 hr in their late-career years. Of course every fan has a right to their assessment, but I would have to add that if one really does not want to year 'Survive', well ... leave early!

Talking

I've watched a few clips on YT and I think it's phenomenal that she is able to project her charisma at 78, after all this years.
    She sounded good during ballads, less during up tempo.

She is a fabulous performer
    Last edited by Albator; 06-11-2022 at 07:43 AM.

She sounds fine to me here and the crowd looks like they're having a good time.

You need a subscription to read the whole thing, but based on first two paragraphs and 4 out of 5 star rating the London Times reviewer seems to have approved of the show in Cardiff.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...form-s7t59ftz5

Thank you for providing the setlist from last night's show, Dickiemint. Looks like it was a solid show! I wonder if the sound issues had more to do with it being such a large outdoor setting?

Thanks for the video and review, Spreadinglove21! She sounds pretty good here, and sounds like she has been getting vocally stronger, since initially returning to the stage in February, after two years of inactivity due to the pandemic. I think those high notes she was able to reach a couple of years ago will eventually come back, as time goes on, with more practice and more shows under her belt. She seems much more confident now, compared to the first show she did in Orlando in February.

I like the setlist as it covers many of her most famous songs in the UK. I'd swap Not Over You Yet with I Will Survive though.

I will probably get very choked if she sings If We Hold On Together when performing in London. It always gets to me from watching Land Before Time with my young daughters and them getting upset when Littlefoot's Mummy died.

I went to the show with a friend and my nephew, who both filmed some of the show and I was surprised how much better the videos sounded than what I was hearing at the show, as you can see in the above you tube video, Diana is holding a transmitter in her had during Do you know.
    I'm glad to see she is getting positive reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    The set list was
    I'm coming out
    Where did our love go
    Baby Love
    Stop in the name of Love
    Come see about me
    You can't hurry love
    The Boss
    Chain Reaction
    I'm still waiting
    Upside down
    Ease on Down the road [[costume change)
    Why do fools fall in love
    If we hold on together
    If the World Just Danced
    Best years of my life
    That set list is same ole, same ole. No surprises. “More Today” and “I Will Survive,” good grief. Just the same show she’s been doing for the past 15 years. There were a few folks on here certain she would incorporate all these new songs from her album and yet she couldn’t even do the title track.

The list looks ok to me , jam packed.

But shouldn't she be doing the cartoon theme??

The show is getting good reviews.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...tWpHLgvuTmf-wA

Sorry already posted above.

dickiemint - how full was the venue? Thanks

Seems to be mixed reviews for Diana.

While The Times was positive about Cardiff they do say they that her "ominously wobbly performance at The Platinum Jubilee Party didn't bode well" for it.

Other Press reviews for the Jubilee performance were generally positive.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    That set list is same ole, same ole. No surprises. “More Today” and “I Will Survive,” good grief. Just the same show she’s been doing for the past 15 years. There were a few folks on here certain she would incorporate all these new songs from her album and yet she couldn’t even do the title track.

I see 5 new and different songs added for the UK. Chain reaction and Im still waiting and If we hold on together and If the World just danced and Best Years.

Me, I don't shiv a git about reviews / reviewers. For decades I saw Aretha raise to a fever pitch audiences at venues in the NYC area - and the white, male, cis reviewer crowd pretty much always dissed the performances. The member complaints? Everyone's gotta right. But, Diana is Diana and has been Diana for decades. Don't want to hear 'More Today' or 'Survive'? Stay home. I adapt an old quote: The definition of insanity is willingly doing the same thing over and over [ie: attending a Diana concert) and complaining about it. When Josephine Baker did her last gigs at Carnegie Hall reviewers complained about her repetitive banana costume ...

I think the crowd capacity was 10,000, and last week the promoters were selling 2 tickets for £100
    The venue seemed pretty full tbh

By the way, what's this new song "God Help Me" that's being sung as a medley with I Will Survive? Is it any good?

Here's a comp of clips from the Cardiff show someone uploaded to Youtube:

Even if the setlist is mostly the same, she did do "If The World Just Danced" from the new album, which is enough for me!

I'm buzzing to see Diana on the 24th!!!!

A link to a fun article recalling the Motortown revue visit to Cardiff 57 years ago. Great photos of Diana, Mary and Florence in the castle grounds and strolling down St Mary’s Street heading back to their hotel.

https://nation.cymru/culture/the-stu...ff-in-the-60s/

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    A link to a fun article recalling the Motortown revue visit to Cardiff 57 years ago. Great photos of Diana, Mary and Florence in the castle grounds and strolling down St Mary’s Street heading back to their hotel.

WONDERFUL! A great find, Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post

Wow! 57 years ago! The photos are excellent

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Even if the setlist is mostly the same, she did do "If The World Just Danced" from the new album, which is enough for me!

I look at that playlist and it’s all her own material. No covers , no need to. Even I WILL SURVIVE is a song she actually released . I’ve seen many performers , like Gladys knight, do an array of songs from the past that have nothing to do with their own recordings. There’s nothing wrong with that , just that Diana’s repertoire is so vast she doesn’t need or want to. She’s tasked with deciding what to leave out !!

I predict Tom you will have an evening [?] you will carry with you for a lifetime !!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Me, I don't shiv a git about reviews / reviewers. For decades I saw Aretha raise to a fever pitch audiences at venues in the NYC area - and the white, male, cis reviewer crowd pretty much always dissed the performances. The member complaints? Everyone's gotta right. But, Diana is Diana and has been Diana for decades. Don't want to hear 'More Today' or 'Survive'? Stay home. I adapt an old quote: The definition of insanity is willingly doing the same thing over and over [ie: attending a Diana concert) and complaining about it. When Josephine Baker did her last gigs at Carnegie Hall reviewers complained about her repetitive banana costume ...
    Well many of us are interested in reading reviews and hearing other fans take on things. Who on earth are you to tell fans to stay at home because you don’t like their opinion. It really is not all about you.

Have a fantastic time, TomatoTom!
    Last edited by carlo; 06-12-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I look at that playlist and it’s all her own material. No covers , no need to. Even I WILL SURVIVE is a song she actually released . I’ve seen many performers , like Gladys knight, do an array of songs from the past that have nothing to do with their own recordings. There’s nothing wrong with that , just that Diana’s repertoire is so vast she doesn’t need or want to. She’s tasked with deciding what to leave out !!

I predict Tom you will have an evening [?] you will carry with you for a lifetime !!
    Her own material? No covers? “More Today” and “I Will Survive” are covers. Yes, she did record them but they are not original to her nor are her versions the ones people remember or associate with her. This isn’t “Respect” or “I Will Always Love You.” Yes, she can sing whatever songs she’d like but when you got songs like “Touch Me In The Morning,” “Love Is Like An Itchin In My Heart” and “I Hear A Symphony” in your arsenal there’s no need for covers.

Exactly the point I was attempting to make

Her own material? No covers? “More Today” and “I Will Survive” are covers. Yes, she did record them but they are not original to her nor are her versions the ones people remember or associate with her. This isn’t “Respect” or “I Will Always Love You.” Yes, she can sing whatever songs she’d like but when you got songs like “Touch Me In The Morning,” “Love Is Like An Itchin In My Heart” and “I Hear A Symphony” in your arsenal there’s no need for covers.
    I am also in total agreement brad. Especially in making a song that is forever associated with another artist a staple of your act. It kind of dilutes her legacy when she has so many other songs of her own that fans would love to hear.

Hi There, my friend Tom! I hope the sound issues are improved and that you have a great time! As I've said separately, I've seen Ella-Lena-Peggy-The Dells-Jerry Butler and many more after their peak and can remember the experience to this day. For who-the-F-knows what reason Diana attracts toads who, as they say, love to hate her. Whatevs. I really look forward to your relaying your feelings after seeing this legendary lady live! Be well -

For who-the-F-knows what reason Diana attracts toads who, as they say, love to hate her. Whatevs.
    It's an internet thing. If you go on the Celine Dion forums [or a forum for any other diva, for that matter], you'll see a lot of the same...opinions and objections to her setlists, quality/genre of new music, gowns, etc. [sigh]

I'm also excited for the UK/EU fans, who are finally getting their chance to see her, after such a long wait.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-12-2022 at 10:14 PM.

This shot is from tonight's show in Cambridge, which I borrowed from 'kev_the_lens_man' on Instagram. Looking fab...

Name:  Screenshot_20220612-222539_Instagram.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  67.6 KB

Another great shot, from mj_hewitt on Instagram...

Name:  FB_IMG_1655088256908.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  90.0 KB

Here's a short video of her encore finale at the show in Cardiff, singing "The Best Years Of My Life". She came out in her casual attire to sing one more song for the loving audience, who is beautifully holding up their phone lights for her. Cute to see Ms Ross taking out her phone at the end to take a video of the audience!

https://fb.watch/dCnMGBCTyd/

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It's an internet thing. If you go on the Celine Dion forums [or a forum for any other diva, for that matter], you'll see a lot of the same...opinions and objections to her setlists, quality/genre of new music, gowns, etc. [sigh]

I'm also excited for the UK/EU fans, who are finally getting their chance to see her, after such a long wait.
    I guess with the real world not being Stepford, fans will be inclined to give their true opinion as to how they feel about certain aspects of this tour or any tour for that matter. I don’t think that makes them any less of a loving fan as hinted at.
    As regards internet, it appears to be a thing on any fan site where sycophants, apparently unable to cope with other fans personal opinion go on the attack. Unless that is their comments happen to be a glowing tribute they can collectively approve of.
    No one should be told they need to stay home for not deeming everything perfect.
    As Flo once said, “nobody tells me where i should and shouldn’t be”.

Very short but extremely positive review of Diana [[with photo) last night at Cambridge by the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Cambridge.html

Diana Ross is perfect. Anyone who makes even the slightest criticism of her will be rightfully punished by God to eternal damnation come judgement day.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Thanks Boogie! I’m seeing Gladys on the 30th [!!!!] so will be able to rigorously compare setlists

Have a fantastic time, TomatoTom!
    Thanks carlo! And thanks for those great pictures too

Hi There, my friend Tom! I hope the sound issues are improved and that you have a great time! As I've said separately, I've seen Ella-Lena-Peggy-The Dells-Jerry Butler and many more after their peak and can remember the experience to this day. For who-the-F-knows what reason Diana attracts toads who, as they say, love to hate her. Whatevs. I really look forward to your relaying your feelings after seeing this legendary lady live! Be well -
    Thanks PNH! I'm sure it will be fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I guess with the real world not being Stepford, fans will be inclined to give their true opinion as to how they feel about certain aspects of this tour or any tour for that matter. I don’t think that makes them any less of a loving fan as hinted at.
    As regards internet, it appears to be a thing on any fan site where sycophants, apparently unable to cope with other fans personal opinion go on the attack. Unless that is their comments happen to be a glowing tribute they can collectively approve of.
    No one should be told they need to stay home for not deeming everything perfect.
    As Flo once said, “nobody tells me where i should and shouldn’t be”.
    Precisely. I love Diana and want all that's best for her tour. I'm not a toad or a hater because I'm critical of her setlist. I certainly had criticism of the choices Mary did in her live shows. Did that make me a toad? Good grief.

Is it so terrible for fans who want her to drop two songs which are not hers in favor of ones that are? When was the last time she did "I Hear A Symphony?" RTL?

Yes, she can sing whatever songs she’d like but when you got songs like “Touch Me In The Morning,” “Love Is Like An Itchin In My Heart” and “I Hear A Symphony” in your arsenal there’s no need for covers.
    And anyone who doesn’t think Love is Like an Itching in My Heart is the single greatest song of all time is a toad or a lizard or Komodo dragon or something like that!!!

Hey Ollie,
    I seem to recall that you are based in the UK? I am curious if you will be catching one of Ms Ross' shows during her UK tour? I hope you can

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    And anyone who doesn’t think Love is Like an Itching in My Heart is the single greatest song of all time is a toad or a lizard or Komodo dragon or something like that!!!
    Lol yes indeed...this is as dictated per the commands set out in our Brotherhood of Ross cult. Any song without the Andantes on it is automatically deemed as being inferior

Precisely. I love Diana and want all that's best for her tour. I'm not a toad or a hater because I'm critical of her setlist. I certainly had criticism of the choices Mary did in her live shows. Did that make me a toad? Good grief.

Is it so terrible for fans who want her to drop two songs which are not hers in favor of ones that are? When was the last time she did "I Hear A Symphony?" RTL?
    Of course your not any of those things brad. It’s just the same poster with his childish name calling. The only real toad is him as usual lol.
    The point of a forum is so you can debate any manner off things, be they what’s good, bad or might be changed. Otherwise what’s the point of a forum?.
    Compliments are nice enough, but I don’t think this or any forum should somehow only be reduced to this and nothing more.

Hey Ollie,
    I seem to recall that you are based in the UK? I am curious if you will be catching one of Ms Ross' shows during her UK tour? I hope you can
    As you ask, i do happen to have tickets for the 1st July at Longleat Safari Park which is rather near me. I just hope the lions are tucked away in bed for the night.
    With ”I Will Survive” still doing the rounds, i’m now forced to consider donating such tickets to charity. It’s all rather disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As you ask, i do happen to have tickets for the 1st July at Longleat Safari Park which is rather near me. I just hope the lions are tucked away in bed for the night.
    With ”I Will Survive” still doing the rounds, i’m now forced to consider donating such tickets to charity. It’s all rather disturbing.
    It's good to hear/read that you have tentative plans to see her! I hope that you will keep your tickets, as considering her age, this may be your last opportunity to hear her sing "I Will Survive" in person, on UK soil. Have a great time!