[REMOVE ADS]

Bonnie Pointer/I Can't Help Myself

Did this ever make it to CD? I had a 12" version on vinyl - but I can't seem to ind the song in ITunes? It's a great mix from HMHSY into it.

There are there are versions on-line such as YouTube. I'm unsure whether it might have appeared as a track on a compilation CD though I doubt it.

The album "Bonnie Pointer 2" hasn't received an official CD release [[her first Motown album did receive great treatment by BBR). However it has been available on a bootleg CD [[pretty sure I got mine from Argentina!) which has the added bonus of the 12 inch mix as track 7. Can see this here https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720299712068

And here's one fromYouTube https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ...MVMgQFRyfmTexo

I don't recall seeing this track on an official CD either.

The single mix is slightly different from the lp mix and is an edit. I Can't Help Myself is merely a rushed remake of her disco Heaven Must Have Sent You. It didn't do well.

Had Bonnie and her husband been on better terms with BG her career might have been a lot bigger. Diana Ross left the label early the next year. The promo that could have been given to Bonnie was given to Teena Marie as the next big female Motown artist. Bonnie left with lawsuits and bad blood.

The next I saw of Bonnie was in the mid-1990s when she was scheduled to appear at a gay club in Houston. The posters around town were saying she would sing her hits, "Fire," He's So Shy" and "Slow Hand." Bonnie recorded none of those songs. She later appeared at a real dump in Mobile, AL. Her sisters were suing her at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

The single mix is slightly different from the lp mix and is an edit. I Can't Help Myself is merely a rushed remake of her disco Heaven Must Have Sent You. It didn't do well.
    I have to disagree a bit. I would call it hitting while the fire is hot, in the same way other artists find a certain groove and run with it , like Al Green, Barry White, Supremes.
    I was club DJing at the time and this tune was rock 'em sock 'em, the perfect follow up to HEAVEN as the crowds were already familiar with the sound and were receptive to an improved part II... A person would have to hear this loud in a club to fully appreciate it...with all its full-throttle bells and whistles , it was a tune that could not be ignored...

Although I admit to personal favorite bias, it is not just my opinion ....I CAN'T HELP MYSELF peaked at #4 disco, while HEAVEN peaked at #8, and this was even though the idiots at Motown didn't issue it on a US 12" ....promo or otherwise ...had they ...#1!!

It did get a UK 12" remix [extended] pressing:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-11-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

I was club DJing at the time and this tune was rock 'em sock 'em, the perfect follow up to HEAVEN as the crowds were already familiar with the sound and were receptive to an improved part II... A person would have to hear this loud in a club to fully appreciate it...with all its full-throttle bells and whistles , it was a tune that could not be ignored...
    I agree. At that time, I was 22-23 and going to discos/clubs six nights a week in Boston at the time and Bonnie's "I Can't Help Myself" was a big crowd-pleaser in the clubs. It did sound great and was a lot of fun to dance to. I remember looking for a 12-inch single and couldn't find one. It brings back fond memories.

Both these albums are worthy of CD release in expanded editions. Somewhat minor but still wonderful and entertaining titles from a member of the m.f.'in POINTER SISTERS!

Having just listened to Bonnie's "I Can't Help Myself" for the first time, I thought it was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Both these albums are worthy of CD release in expanded editions. Somewhat minor but still wonderful and entertaining titles from a member of the m.f.'in POINTER SISTERS!
    The 1st album did get an expanded release by BBR - this is very hard to come by these days [[but is worth it if you can find a copy at a reasonable price).

Tracks
    01 When I'm Gone
    02 Free Me From My Freedom / Tie Me To A Tree [[Handcuff Me)
    03 Heaven Must Have Sent You
    04 Ah Shoot
    05 More And More
    06 I Love To Sing To You
    07 I Wanna Make It [[In Your World)
    08 My Everything
    Bonus Tracks
    09 Free Me From My Freedom / Tie Me To A Tree [[Handcuff Me) *[[12" disco version)
    10 Heaven Must Have Sent You *[[12" disco version)
    11 Free Me From My Freedom / Tie Me To A Tree [[Handcuff Me) *)single version)
    12 Heaven Must Have Sent You *[[single version)
    13 Free Me From My Freedom / Tie Me To A Tree [[Handcuff Me) *[[instrumental version)

See it here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57708789601693

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    I agree. At that time, I was 22-23 and going to discos/clubs six nights a week in Boston at the time and Bonnie's "I Can't Help Myself" was a big crowd-pleaser in the clubs. It did sound great and was a lot of fun to dance to. I remember looking for a 12-inch single and couldn't find one. It brings back fond memories.
    Thanks for sharing your similar memories zani!

TomatoTom12

Having just listened to Bonnie's "I Can't Help Myself" for the first time, I thought it was pretty great.

Hey Tom did you listen via the link I provided up above? I just relistened to it and realized this extended version is a very lazy extension , just a looping of the first part of the song tacked on at the end. For me it doesn't work , it contradicts the building energy .

Here's the song without the additional tag on:

Hey Boogie, no I didn’t listen to that extended version actually… but I found this 7" edit on YouTube:

Usually when I listen to a song for the first time I go for a shorter version, to see whether or not I like it

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Boogie, no I didn’t listen to that extended version actually… but I found this 7" edit on YouTube:

Usually when I listen to a song for the first time I go for a shorter version, to see whether or not I like it
    That’s a very well done single edit . Thanks for the listen !

July 11th:

On her Birthday, remembering Bonnie Pointer [Patricia Eva Pointer; 1950-2020].....

Happy Birthday to Bonnie Pointer

in my zeal in previous postings, I neglected to say I found this information is MOST INTERESTING

Had Bonnie and her husband been on better terms with BG her career might have been a lot bigger. Diana Ross left the label early the next year. The promo that could have been given to Bonnie was given to Teena Marie as the next big female Motown artist. Bonnie left with lawsuits and bad blood.

The next I saw of Bonnie was in the mid-1990s when she was scheduled to appear at a gay club in Houston. The posters around town were saying she would sing her hits, "Fire," He's So Shy" and "Slow Hand." Bonnie recorded none of those songs. She later appeared at a real dump in Mobile, AL. Her sisters were suing her at the time.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-11-2023 at 02:34 PM.

weren't both LPS issued on the early 2 on 1 CD's???
    I got the LP as a cut out....loved it....the banjo break on LOVELIGHT makes it one of my fav Supremes remakes....
    Saw Bonnie in one of those 12 act Disco Ball shows Joe Causi puts together in 2009 Atlantic City....she looked like Whoopi Goldberg's swamp character twin...she had on this really skimpy corset/ stocking outfit, and she was obviously lipsynching [[I believe despite the fact there was a band on stage going thru the motions at all times, some of the acts performed to prerecorded tracks) ....she walked across the stage with the microphone down by her hips, and the vocal was still continuing....she only did the one song...and Joe commented before she came on there could be some surprises because she was acting wild backstage....[[France Joli 3 songs, Gloria Gaynor about 5 songs, and Shannon 2 songs def sang live....some of the rest I am not so sure of....)

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    weren't both LPS issued on the early 2 on 1 CD's???
    I got the LP as a cut out....loved it....the banjo break on LOVELIGHT makes it one of my fav Supremes remakes....
    Saw Bonnie in one of those 12 act Disco Ball shows Joe Causi puts together in 2009 Atlantic City....she looked like Whoopi Goldberg's swamp character twin...she had on this really skimpy corset/ stocking outfit, and she was obviously lipsynching [[I believe despite the fact there was a band on stage going thru the motions at all times, some of the acts performed to prerecorded tracks) ....she walked across the stage with the microphone down by her hips, and the vocal was still continuing....she only did the one song...and Joe commented before she came on there could be some surprises because she was acting wild backstage....[[France Joli 3 songs, Gloria Gaynor about 5 songs, and Shannon 2 songs def sang live....some of the rest I am not so sure of....)
    This I have heard before. Bonnie and June both were so addicted and both were uncontrollable. Both were also so talented that it is sad they are not here. June especially does not get the props she deserves as a singer. Only Ruthie is left now performing with daughters and granddaughters

This I have heard before. Bonnie and June both were so addicted and both were uncontrollable. Both were also so talented that it is sad they are not here. June especially does not get the props she deserves as a singer. Only Ruthie is left now performing with daughters and granddaughters
    I saw Bonnie and June perform as a duo at a Disco Ball. They were a sad sight. Rail thin and seemingly out of it. They sang to recordings [not an instrumental track]. So when they performed I'M SO EXCITED [a song neither sang lead on)], you could hear Anita's original vocal.