[REMOVE ADS]

20 Top Female singers of the 1970s

Any such lists are extremely subjective, but pleased Diana made it to the top of the pile. Not that i’m biased or anything.
    Way back in 76 as a thirteen year old lad, Diana Ross 76 and A Star Is Born were the two albums i nearly wore the grooves out of.

I like all of the singers in the top 50. I was very pleased to see Miss Ross receive the accolade of being #1. She certainly doesn't always get her due respect. I was very pleased to see that one of the reasons she hit #1 was because there were seven releases in the 1970's with the Supremes which awarded her half a point for each and gave her the edge over Barbra Streisand and Karen Carpenter. Wonderful list filled with amazing talent.

I usually get annoyed with surveys like this because they tend to include people that I think don't deserve the honor and omit others that definitely do. But any top 20 that includes ONJ, Dionne, Anne Murray, and Shirley Bassey proves to me that someone knew their stuff. Several others are OK too and off the top of my head I cannot think of a major omission.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Who? Tell us.

No Dusty Springfield? I know she released only a few albums and was on several different labels, but she was still an iconic figure and many of us continued to find delight in her recordings.

Well there’s an objective list!

Don’t think Dusty Springfield [or Lesley Gore] had any or many 70’s hits

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well there’s an objective list!

Don’t think Dusty Springfield [or Lesley Gore] had any or many 70’s hits
    She didn’t. Dusty’s biggest hits were in the 60’s and 80’s.