[REMOVE ADS]

"You're Gonna Come To Me" and Supremes Versions History

Talk about working on a song! The gang couldn't let this one go. And by gang I mean Berry, who wrote and produced it. I guess he really wanted this to work. The girls apparently recorded six versions of the song between Aug 61 and Nov 63, but only four versions have been released and/or found.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another song the group recorded so many times over so long of period. There's five versions of "Buttered Popcorn", and four versions of "Hey Baby" which were apparently recorded over a period of a couple of months. "Mother Dear" has three different versions in less than a year. Any of you Supremes trivia geeks think of anything else to add to the least?

As for "You're Gonna Come To Me", I think it's important in the Supremes catalog because it really does a good job of spotlighting the group's early evolution, from quartet to trio, from rough around the edges to polished. I dismissed Diana's vocal from the first version upon first listen, but in reviewing the songs for this post, she's much better than I initially thought she was, especially toward the end. And the first version is also the best blend I've heard from Flo and Mary with Barbara, other than "He's 17", the latter of which I still suspect Raynoma is singing with them.

I think my favorite version is the sixth version [[apparently listed as version 3 for the WDOLG EE). The ladies are steady cruising toward history, and their sound together is on point.

Is this a favorite for you? Hate it? Indifferent? Have a favorite version?

"Take Me Where You Go" is another previously vaulted track with at least 3 different versions. As for "You're Gonna Come...," meh. Pretty pedestrian cha-cha number. I prefer the version that made the Where Did Our Love Go 40th anniversary set; the production values are tighter.

Version 1

Version 2

Version 4

Version 6

Seems like a waste to record this so many times and in the end not do anything with it. I don't hear it as single material, but it was good enough for an album track or B side.

i thought there were only 4 versions of the song. 3 had been released on the EE sets and Andy or George had mentioned a fourth that was more inline or perhaps done for CW&P.

but your overall point is definitely accurate. clearly Berry felt this song could be a hit and so they continued to experiment with it MUCH more than other tunes

of course Mother Dear is another song that they kept working on. the first was released and then almost released as a single. then they redid it twice but neither ever seeing the light of day

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "Take Me Where You Go" is another previously vaulted track with at least 3 different versions. As for "You're Gonna Come...," meh. Pretty pedestrian cha-cha number. I prefer the version that made the Where Did Our Love Go 40th anniversary set; the production values are tighter.
    You're right Sans. I think "It's All Your Fault" also has three versions.

I agree, there's nothing particularly special about "You're Gonna Come To Me". I think the standout on versions 4 and 6 are Flo and Mary's harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i thought there were only 4 versions of the song. 3 had been released on the EE sets and Andy or George had mentioned a fourth that was more inline or perhaps done for CW&P.

but your overall point is definitely accurate. clearly Berry felt this song could be a hit and so they continued to experiment with it MUCH more than other tunes
    According to DFTMC there are six versions, but only four have been released and only four are actually documented on the site. I figure the unreleased versions are either missing, incomplete, or possibly just new tracks without vocals.

Also worth noting that the Supremes recorded vocals for the C&W album in early 1963 and then revisited them in late 1964 with new vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    According to DFTMC there are six versions, but only four have been released and only four are actually documented on the site. I figure the unreleased versions are either missing, incomplete, or possibly just new tracks without vocals.
    Version 3 and 5 are complete, but currently unreleased. Version 3 has made the rounds in bootlegs years ago. It begins with an organ piano and has a Latin feel to it. Version 5 was done in the same session as Versions 4 and 6. It was just another take [[instrument and vocals) using the same arrangement as the other two.

Other early tracks also had multiple versions - "Too Hot" was cut four times. The third version still remains unreleased. "Play A Sad Song" was cut three times, but only the third version was released.

According to DFTMC, "Fancy Passes" was cut three times with Versions 1 and 3 being released.

"Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart" was cut three times although versions 2 and 3 were attempts to fix errors with previous versions. Version 1 was cut too low for Diana, Version 2 was too high and slightly too fast.

"I'll Set You Free" was cut several times. Version 1 made the rounds in bootlegs. It starts with Mary & Cindy singing "I'll set you free, free." This version hasn't been released yet. Version 2 was released on Love Child. Version 2 also had an alternate vocal which was released on Motown Lost & Found. What's interesting is that in Mary's book - a third take looks to have been cut for them in December 1968 after the Love Child album as released. This was a Berry Gordy song/production just like "You're Gonna Come To Me," so it appears he was trying to multiple attempts to get a hit out of this.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 06-08-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Great information Brad! I forgot about "Too Hot" as well as the fact that "Fancy Passes" was revisited after a lengthy time. And of course "Itchin".

I had no idea about "Play A Sad Song". It's one of my favorites of the early trio and hope the unreleased versions see the light of day. Same with "I'll Set You Free", I wasn't aware. Another of my favs that I hope we get to hear the unreleased versions.

As for "You're Gonna Come To Me", fingers crossed that version 3 is officially released. I love the Motown period with the Latin influence tracks, so I can't wait to hear this one.

Excellent post Brad!