[REMOVE ADS]

You Are Everything - Diana and Larry

Following my last post about Pledging My Love, I thought I'd search YouTube to see if there are any Quad versions of the Diana & Marvin albums songs available to listen to.

To my surprise this video came up which I was unaware of and thought that folk here might be interested in it.

https://youtu.be/bPTyqw3HJCU

this is from her diana tv special in 1981. the tv show Dallas was beyond huge at the time, and of course Larry Hagman was the star as JR. so he was surely a huge ratings bump for the show. as was her segments with Michael Jackson

clearly larry didn't miss his calling as a vocalist lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this is from her diana tv special in 1981. the tv show Dallas was beyond huge at the time, and of course Larry Hagman was the star as JR. so he was surely a huge ratings bump for the show. as was her segments with Michael Jackson

clearly larry didn't miss his calling as a vocalist lol
    Netting both Jackson and Larry Hagman for the tv special added incredibly to its success. As you point out, both were huge at the time with MJ attracting the younger audience.

I remember this show quite well. Larry and MJ were big at the time and Diana was going through a resurgence. Diana is still with us, while sadly Larry and MJ have both passed on.

My comment is slightly off subject; however related...this is from the special which is, in my opinion, Diana's finest rendition of "It's My Turn" was performed. She was not all glammed up, and the set was quite intimate without lots of distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    My comment is slightly off subject; however related...this is from the special which is, in my opinion, Diana's finest rendition of "It's My Turn" was performed. She was not all glammed up, and the set was quite intimate without lots of distractions.
    i agree it was a wonderful addition to the special. overall i have to say the special was really quite good

it opens with that sensational footage from the LA Forum of her opening her show. she looks and sounds great - does I'm Coming Out and The Boss. later in her strapless gown she does Upside Down with MJ on the stage.

then you have It's My Turn, which is great. Ease on down the Road with Michael and the studio audience. the Larry segment and a few more.

it was contemporary, she did her recent massive hits and what quite enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Stunning. Like Luther said, it was always about the tone in her voice. Almost seems as if she was singing it directly to Berry Gordy.

i agree it was a wonderful addition to the special. overall i have to say the special was really quite good

it opens with that sensational footage from the LA Forum of her opening her show. she looks and sounds great - does I'm Coming Out and The Boss. later in her strapless gown she does Upside Down with MJ on the stage.

then you have It's My Turn, which is great. Ease on down the Road with Michael and the studio audience. the Larry segment and a few more.

it was contemporary, she did her recent massive hits and what quite enjoyable
    It really was a great and well-done special. It captured Diana in the midst of her hottest period as a solo recording artist. The next day in school, Diana and MJ was all everybody was talking about. I was surprised that during the concert segment, Diana never changed her costume. That was different.

I also remember being surprised when CBS re-aired the show in 1984. It was three years old by that time and I wondered why they pulled it out again. No matter. I was definitely in front of my tv set when it came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    Stunning. Like Luther said, it was always about the tone in her voice. Almost seems as if she was singing it directly to Berry Gordy.
    of course only Diana knows what was going on in her mind and with her feelings. maybe people have said that her connection with I'm Coming Out and It's My Turn are because of her desire to break out on her own. Diana was always a master at interpreting lyrics. but when the message was SOOOOO personal and connected, you get shear brilliance with her performance.

Clearly she's singing this with an amazing connection to the story and lyric. this is truly a personal song for her

interesting that it doesn't seem to be a song she does much. was it in her shows all that long?

totally guessing here but maybe it and Someday are just too steeped in personal emotions for her to be able to do live all that much. there might be way too much personal baggage and so now that she's doing whatever she wants, those songs are too much.

of course only Diana knows what was going on in her mind and with her feelings. maybe people have said that her connection with I'm Coming Out and It's My Turn are because of her desire to break out on her own. Diana was always a master at interpreting lyrics. but when the message was SOOOOO personal and connected, you get shear brilliance with her performance.

Clearly she's singing this with an amazing connection to the story and lyric. this is truly a personal song for her

interesting that it doesn't seem to be a song she does much. was it in her shows all that long?

totally guessing here but maybe it and Someday are just too steeped in personal emotions for her to be able to do live all that much. there might be way too much personal baggage and so now that she's doing whatever she wants, those songs are too much.
    I remember that she did It’s My Turn, Home and NY State of Mind when I saw her on the Swept Away tour at Radio City Music Hall in September 1984. Another emotional time for her with her mom being sick and ultimately passing. It was absolutely stunning.

I don't think IT'S MY TURN stayed in the act too long. I've seen her in concert many times since its release and she couldn't have performed it more than three or four times, if that.

I do remember her opening her 1984 concert with it. And there was also a special moment when I saw her at a summer tent in-the-round circa 1997 or so. She was basically doing her TAKE ME HIGHER tour set list. At one point, near the end of the show it was if she didn't want to leave. She spoke a lot and even confessed that had been a bit ill the night before, "suffering from both ends," in her own words [TMI]. She sang THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE and I was sure she was going to go into I WILL SURVIVE and depart. But then she just started doing IT'S MY TURN and it was like a hush fell over the tent, with the rain providing background. It was a beautiful moment.

Another emotional song for her might be I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. A fan wrote that she had to take out of the RTL set list because it brought her to tears during rehearsal, probably remembering her departed Tempts colleagues.
    Last edited by reese; 06-07-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think IT'S MY TURN stayed in the act too long. I've seen her in concert many times since its release and she couldn't have performed it more than three or four times, if that.

I do remember her opening her 1984 concert with it. And there was also a special moment when I saw her at a summer tent in-the-round circa 1997 or so. She was basically doing her TAKE ME HIGHER tour set list. At one point, near the end of the show it was if she didn't want to leave. She spoke a lot and even confessed that had been a bit ill the night before, "suffering from both ends," in her own words [TMI]. She sang THE BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE and I was sure she was going to go into I WILL SURVIVE and depart. But then she just started doing IT'S MY TURN and it was like a hush fell over the tent, with the rain providing background. It was a beautiful moment.

Another emotional song for her might be I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. A fan wrote that she had to take out of the RTL set list because it brought her to tears during rehearsal, probably remembering her departed Tempts colleagues.
    that's a wonderful memory!! a hushed crowd and her singing such an intimate song.

and interesting about IGMYLM. It's clear there are songs she must just love cuz they're always in the show - Baby Love, Stop, you can't hurry love.

She used Itchin a lot too, especially through the 80s and 90s. even though IMO it wouldn't be as known of a hit as Reflections or YCHL. I think Symphony is another she likes a lot.

i saw her in Atlanta in the 2010's. can't remember all of the songs. And during RTL, there are a couple that seem to be omitted. Someday, IGMYLM. was WDOLG in the set list?

i saw her in Atlanta in the 2010's. can't remember all of the songs. And during RTL, there are a couple that seem to be omitted. Someday, IGMYLM. was WDOLG in the set list?
    Yes, she sang it in a medley with BABY LOVE and STOP!