[REMOVE ADS]

Pledging My Love - Diana & Marvin

On Marvin Gaye's Love Songs : Greatest Duets album, there is the Japanese Quad version of Pledging My Love. It's easy to hear the extra verse that is edited out of the Stereo Diana & Marvin album version. What is also obvious is the early fade of the Quad version.

My question is, does the Quad version of the Diana & Marvin album have both the additional verse and the same fade out as per the Stereo version of the song?

I also wonder if any other songs on the Quad version of Diana & Marvin have a different mix or running time.
    Last edited by rovereab; 06-06-2022 at 02:10 PM.

I could be wrong, as I don't have the Quad album, but I think "Don't Knock My Love" and "Stop Look Listen" are different vocal takes. I know there's an alternate of "Special Part of Me", but I don't know if one's a Quad version and the other a stereo version, or if one is a stereo album version and the other a single version.

Just found this, seems like there are several alternate takes of the album's songs. There should have been a more expanded version of the album than the one we have.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-06-07 091445.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  54.3 KB

Thanks for that info Rovereab! Rumor has it that after the initial session[[s) where both Ross and Gaye were in the studio together, that they recorded full versions of all or the remaining songs, and of course the producers spliced together which parts from which solos they wanted. So if the fellas ever get around to a truly expanded version of this album [[which seems like it would be a priority for Universal, since Marvin's catalog is such a big seller), we'd get the original album, the quad alternates, the unreleased cuts that are on the bonus edition, plus the full solo versions of the tracks, if they indeed exist. This album is a favorite of mine, so I'm always hopeful that a full expanded version is on it's on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks for that info Rovereab! Rumor has it that after the initial session[[s) where both Ross and Gaye were in the studio together, that they recorded full versions of all or the remaining songs, and of course the producers spliced together which parts from which solos they wanted. So if the fellas ever get around to a truly expanded version of this album [[which seems like it would be a priority for Universal, since Marvin's catalog is such a big seller), we'd get the original album, the quad alternates, the unreleased cuts that are on the bonus edition, plus the full solo versions of the tracks, if they indeed exist. This album is a favorite of mine, so I'm always hopeful that a full expanded version is on it's on it's way.
    It's one of my favourite albums too. I wonder if we have already heard the alternate My Mistake and Don't Knock My Love from Marvin's The Collection box set? Still there are plenty of other alternate versions to make up a splendid expanded version of the album.

I am hoping that the alternate You Are Everything has the section that is edited out of the originally released version at track time 2:17 where you can hear the cut.

If they need to pad out the expanded version I'd be very happy to have a few new remixes of the original album's songs, like was very successfully achieved with Stop, Look, Listen for Diana's expanded To Love Again album, where some extra vocals were brought to the surface.

Let's keep hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It's one of my favourite albums too. I wonder if we have already heard the alternate My Mistake and Don't Knock My Love from Marvin's The Collection box set? Still there are plenty of other alternate versions to make up a splendid expanded version of the album.
    When I was a kid, I remember hearing an alternate version of MY MISTAKE on the radio. I assume this was the single version but I can't confirm [as my singles are hard to get to].

I also remember an alternate of DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE which seemed to have a prominent organ overdub but again, I can't confirm.
    Last edited by reese; 06-07-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I was a kid, I remember hearing an alternate version of MY MISTAKE on the radio. I assume this was the single version but I can't confirm [as my singles are hard to get to].

I also remember an alternate of DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE which seemed to have a prominent organ overdub but again, I can't confirm.
    I wonder if the version of Don't Knock My Love you heard is the one that starts with Diana saying "take it from the top Marv". Also, the version of My Mistake on The Collection has the instruments mixed differently and more of Diana's vocals through the first verse. Perhaps that's what you heard too?

I wonder if the version of Don't Knock My Love you heard is the one that starts with Diana saying "take it from the top Marv". Also, the version of My Mistake on The Collection has the instruments mixed differently and more of Diana's vocals through the first verse. Perhaps that's what you heard too?
    Speaking of alternates of "Don't Knock My Love," Taraborrelli cites a version on Marvin's box set where Diana can be heard saying "This is the song I hate!" in his most recent Diana bio. I have the Marvin collection ["Take it from the top, Marv"], but don't hear Diana's "hate" remark on it as Randy reports. Can anyone shed some light? Am I just missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Speaking of alternates of "Don't Knock My Love," Taraborrelli cites a version on Marvin's box set where Diana can be heard saying "This is the song I hate!" in his most recent Diana bio. I have the Marvin collection ["Take it from the top, Marv"], but don't hear Diana's "hate" remark on it as Randy reports. Can anyone shed some light? Am I just missing it?
    I think Randy meant you can hear Diana saying "This is the song that I hate" in the studio chatter that is on the tape, not that the remark actually made it to a record.

It could be. I have THE MARVIN GAYE COLLECTION so I have those versions.

I think Randy meant you can hear Diana saying "This is the song that I hate" in the studio chatter that is on the tape, not that the remark actually made it to a record.
    Gotcha. Being a Ross completist, I'd sure love to see that surface on a future release! Thanks as always!

I am hoping that the alternate You Are Everything has the section that is edited out of the originally released version at track time 2:17 where you can hear the cut.

If they need to pad out the expanded version I'd be very happy to have a few new remixes of the original album's songs, like was very successfully achieved with Stop, Look, Listen for Diana's expanded To Love Again album, where some extra vocals were brought to the surface.

Let's keep hoping!
    How about some of those created duets, like what the guys did with "Shake Me, Wake Me", combining portions of the Tops and Supremes, but with Ross and Gaye on songs they both recorded?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking "Can I Get a Witness", "Try It Baby", "Darkside of the World", "You've Changed".

How about some of those created duets, like what the guys did with "Shake Me, Wake Me", combining portions of the Tops and Supremes, but with Ross and Gaye on songs they both recorded?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking "Can I Get a Witness", "Try It Baby", "Darkside of the World", "You've Changed".
    Besides DARK SIDE OF THE WORLD on which they shared the same track, I think Diana and Marvin sang the other songs you mentioned in different keys. Although nowadays that could probably be worked around due to technology.

Besides DARK SIDE OF THE WORLD on which they shared the same track, I think Diana and Marvin sang the other songs you mentioned in different keys. Although nowadays that could probably be worked around due to technology.
    You might be right Reese, but I wouldn't think she and Levi were singing in the same key either. Full disclosure, I'm not knowledgeable about vocal keys so I will defer to you and anyone else who knows better.

You might be right Reese, but I wouldn't think she and Levi were singing in the same key either. Full disclosure, I'm not knowledgeable about vocal keys so I will defer to you and anyone else who knows better.
    I have no technical musical knowledge, either. Maybe Sup_Fan could help us on this one. I believe Diana and Levi recorded SHAKE ME WAKE ME in the same key or at least one close enough to make a duet possible. I recall Duke Fakir saying that sometimes HDH would make Levi sing in the same key as Diana and it was "high and brilliant".

Maybe YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY would work, as their key on that one seems the same or again, close enough.

I have no technical musical knowledge, either. Maybe Sup_Fan could help us on this one. I believe Diana and Levi recorded SHAKE ME WAKE ME in the same key or at least one close enough to make a duet possible. I recall Duke Fakir saying that sometimes HDH would make Levi sing in the same key as Diana and it was "high and brilliant".

Maybe YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY would work, as their key on that one seems the same or again, close enough.
    I wouldn't think replacing Tammi with Diana on such a classic would go down well. Lol

I wouldn't think replacing Tammi with Diana on such a classic would go down well. Lol
    Can you believe? I forgot about Tammi. LOL

I would love to hear a solo version of “Just Say Just Say”. Such a beautiful song.

Can you believe? I forgot about Tammi. LOL
    You know better than that Reese.

Pairing a male vocalist with a female vocalist on a song which was not especially written for the pair is a challenge. When we hear a cover of a particular song by a male/female duet, we can often notice one or more of the following:

1. If the song does not modulate, aka change keys, during the song, usually either the male or the female is singing in his/her 'sweet spot' range while the other is not necessarily singing in his/her target zone. That's why we will often hear more of a straining/reaching tone from the male singer when he is paired with the female.

2. When performing a cover song, the arrangement might have a subtle modulation when, for example, the female sings her verse; and then another modulation when the male sings his verse; therefore, allowing each singer to showcase his/her voice.

3. Because singers like Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin had ranges that could soar, pairing them with a female singer could work pretty well. Their high notes are usually in the female singer's 'sweet spot' range.

4. Some people claimed Diana Ross lacked the ability comfortably sing the Temptation songs in the original key on the medley the Supremes and the Temptations did on the Ed Sullivan show. True; however, neither could David Ruffin find his 'sweet spot' by singing the Supreme songs in their original key. Yes, there probably was a lot of give and take with Berry and the arrangers to optimize both singer's 'zone' by placing the songs in the keys they wound up using keeping in mind that both of these superstars wanted to make sure their voice was optimized.

4. There are some songs/duets in which the singers are singing the melody lines in the same key; but one singer, usually the male, is singing in an octave lower than the female. This combination works pretty well with a pop female singer and a male who is a baritone or bass singer. An excellent example of this is "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Pairing a male vocalist with a female vocalist on a song which was not especially written for the pair is a challenge. When we hear a cover of a particular song by a male/female duet, we can often notice one or more of the following:

1. If the song does not modulate, aka change keys, during the song, usually either the male or the female is singing in his/her 'sweet spot' range while the other is not necessarily singing in his/her target zone. That's why we will often hear more of a straining/reaching tone from the male singer when he is paired with the female.

2. When performing a cover song, the arrangement might have a subtle modulation when, for example, the female sings her verse; and then another modulation when the male sings his verse; therefore, allowing each singer to showcase his/her voice.

3. Because singers like Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin had ranges that could soar, pairing them with a female singer could work pretty well. Their high notes are usually in the female singer's 'sweet spot' range.

4. Some people claimed Diana Ross lacked the ability comfortably sing the Temptation songs in the original key on the medley the Supremes and the Temptations did on the Ed Sullivan show. True; however, neither could David Ruffin find his 'sweet spot' by singing the Supreme songs in their original key. Yes, there probably was a lot of give and take with Berry and the arrangers to optimize both singer's 'zone' by placing the songs in the keys they wound up using keeping in mind that both of these superstars wanted to make sure their voice was optimized.

4. There are some songs/duets in which the singers are singing the melody lines in the same key; but one singer, usually the male, is singing in an octave lower than the female. This combination works pretty well with a pop female singer and a male who is a baritone or bass singer. An excellent example of this is "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond.
    Great info. Many thanks.