[REMOVE ADS]

Things You'd Like Ms. Ross to Do

In her upcoming concerts, is there anything special you'd like to see? I'd love to see Ms. Ross and Barry Gibb do long medleys of songs from the Eaten Alive album. My late mother loved I Love [[Being in Love with You). That one is so underrated. In the background would be pictures of Ms. Ross, the Bee Gees and Michael Jackson from behind the scenes of the album's recording.

I'd love to see Nile Rogers join Diana on stage in London and Glastonbury for Upside Down.

Wishing.......

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    In her upcoming concerts, is there anything special you'd like to see? I'd love to see Ms. Ross and Barry Gibb do long medleys of songs from the Eaten Alive album. My late mother loved I Love [[Being in Love with You). That one is so underrated. In the background would be pictures of Ms. Ross, the Bee Gees and Michael Jackson from behind the scenes of the album's recording.
    “I Love [Being In Love With You)” is also my favourite song from the “EA” album. A much stronger ballad then “Experience” imo.
    Not sure about the medley with BG though. Perhaps thirty years ago.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-06-2022 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'd love to see Nile Rogers join Diana on stage in London and Glastonbury for Upside Down.

Wishing.......
    Wouldn’t that be fantastic. Lend the song it’s original funk.

For me it would be a medley of songs from Lady Sings The Blues”. They suit where her voice is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Wouldn’t that be fantastic. Lend the song it’s original funk.
    It would be mind blowing. Upside Down is used in a long standing product advert on UK TV at the moment so that might also garner interest!

Stay well, stay happy, and when she wants, perform and record.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It would be mind blowing. Upside Down is used in a long standing product advert on UK TV at the moment so that might also garner interest!
    Yes, I’ve been hearing it a lot lately. It’s nice to have people talking about her again.

I know this isn't the direction her current tour would go in, but in the future, I'd like to see her reinterpret her catalog in a jazz and blues direction. While Diana is proving that she is still vocally in the game, and she seems to have gotten rid of some of the problems that was plaguing her voice about a decade ago, her voice doesn't usually capture the essence of what made some of her most popular songs so good. Her lower register has always been sadly underutilized, despite being a beautiful facet of her talent. Today, as usually happens to women singers as they age, the voice has lowered and when she sings lower, she seems to sound more comfortable and have a better grasp of the vocal. So rather than listen to her reach for notes in a fan favorite cut from Surrender or Baby It's Me, I'd rather she rearrange it to fit where she is now and take the lyrics and interpret them in a jazz manner. I think she'd kill with a run of shows where she does that. Can you imagine her updated take on "My World Is Empty" or "Last Time I Saw Him"?

I ever luck up on Diana's phone number somehow, she's going to get an earful.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I know this isn't the direction her current tour would go in, but in the future, I'd like to see her reinterpret her catalog in a jazz and blues direction. While Diana is proving that she is still vocally in the game, and she seems to have gotten rid of some of the problems that was plaguing her voice about a decade ago, her voice doesn't usually capture the essence of what made some of her most popular songs so good. Her lower register has always been sadly underutilized, despite being a beautiful facet of her talent. Today, as usually happens to women singers as they age, the voice has lowered and when she sings lower, she seems to sound more comfortable and have a better grasp of the vocal. So rather than listen to her reach for notes in a fan favorite cut from Surrender or Baby It's Me, I'd rather she rearrange it to fit where she is now and take the lyrics and interpret them in a jazz manner. I think she'd kill with a run of shows where she does that. Can you imagine her updated take on "My World Is Empty" or "Last Time I Saw Him"?

I ever luck up on Diana's phone number somehow, she's going to get an earful.
    I agree, but can’t really imagine she would be prepared to put the required work in as regards new arrangements. Learning the lyrics to “Thank You” appears to be difficult enough lol.
    It’s sad that she appears to have turned away from jazz in recent years. Just the obligatory “Don’t Explain”, which is almost a singalong or a dusted off version of “My Man”.

the Niles idea is quite interesting. what if she did a segment called "old friends" or something. have HDH, Valerie, Niles there. Ron and Michael masser are both gone. trying to think of any other big producers of hits. i guess Barry too but since i don't like the EA collection i'm gonna black ball him! lolol

this idea would probably work better in a tv special than on stage. but it would be nice to recognize these amazing producers that worked with her over the years

maybe they could do a medley of songs like Chain Reaction, Remember Me, You can't hurry love and upside down. as she does a verse or two from the song, she introduces the producers and they join her. ends in sort of a jam session

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the Niles idea is quite interesting. what if she did a segment called "old friends" or something. have HDH, Valerie, Niles there. Ron and Michael masser are both gone. trying to think of any other big producers of hits. i guess Barry too but since i don't like the EA collection i'm gonna black ball him! lolol

this idea would probably work better in a tv special than on stage. but it would be nice to recognize these amazing producers that worked with her over the years

maybe they could do a medley of songs like Chain Reaction, Remember Me, You can't hurry love and upside down. as she does a verse or two from the song, she introduces the producers and they join her. ends in sort of a jam session
    Amongst other producers she could include would be Peter Asher, who produced two of her biggest international hits, IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER and WHEN YOU TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME.

I always thought it would have been nice could have done one of those A&E BY REQUEST tv specials, where viewers could call in and request a song. I remember Johnny Mathis doing one that came off well and Nancy Reagan even called in. Diana probably wouldn't want to do something so unrehearsed. But since she uses a teleprompter now anyway, it wouldn't be a matter of forgetting lyrics. Melodies, maybe.

I saw Diana about 10 times from the release of I Love You. Don’t Explain was always a highlight and never a singalong.

I would still love for Diana to do the Stevie Wonder songbook. I compiled a Stevie playlist for myself [[over a 100 songs) and just thought how all his ballads are perfect for Diana. Would have love to hear her sing or have recorded Never Dreamed You’d Leave in Summer. Also was listening to Pops We Love You and realized that Diana was constant/present throughout the entire track and how she meshed and sounded great singing with Marvin, Stevie and Smokey. A duet album with all 3 of those men would have been great too.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 06-07-2022 at 10:19 AM.

I agree, but can’t really imagine she would be prepared to put the required work in as regards new arrangements. Learning the lyrics to “Thank You” appears to be difficult enough lol.
    It’s sad that she appears to have turned away from jazz in recent years. Just the obligatory “Don’t Explain”, which is almost a singalong or a dusted off version of “My Man”.
    I'd love to know her thought process regarding her career at this point. We all speculate, but there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. It looks like at this point she's just doing it for the love of entertaining, which is fine and her prerogative. She's put in a ton of work over decades. But I'd personally like to see her focus on the artistic side of her talent for at least one project. And it sucks that for many years while she was considered in her prime, we often got her renditions of showtunes and songs by other singers, but not some of the fantastic stuff she cut on her own albums. Hell we didn't even get live versions of some of her singles! I think if she listened to fan requests, dipped back into her catalog for her own personal favorites, and reinterpreted them, it could be a way of giving us something new and yet familiar.

It's always been my opinion that at a certain point, probably beginning with the Evening With show, part of what made Diana so special was the razzle dazzle of her hitting the stage. All the wardrobe changes, the backdrops, the dancers, the whole shebang. It always left people with their mouths open. It was a genius direction to go in. And yet, again IMO, all that razzle dazzle took a lot of focus off of the pure vocal talent that she possessed and a lot of people forgot that Diana didn't really need all that extra stuff to be entertaining. She really was in the same class as other women singers of her time, with the ability to just stand, mic in hand or in the mic stand, and just open her mouth and sing. She had such a beautiful voice. She still has a voice that should be heard and I think my idea would be a great way to remind the public of that.

I'd love to know her thought process regarding her career at this point. We all speculate, but there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth. It looks like at this point she's just doing it for the love of entertaining, which is fine and her prerogative. She's put in a ton of work over decades. But I'd personally like to see her focus on the artistic side of her talent for at least one project. And it sucks that for many years while she was considered in her prime, we often got her renditions of showtunes and songs by other singers, but not some of the fantastic stuff she cut on her own albums. Hell we didn't even get live versions of some of her singles! I think if she listened to fan requests, dipped back into her catalog for her own personal favorites, and reinterpreted them, it could be a way of giving us something new and yet familiar.

It's always been my opinion that at a certain point, probably beginning with the Evening With show, part of what made Diana so special was the razzle dazzle of her hitting the stage. All the wardrobe changes, the backdrops, the dancers, the whole shebang. It always left people with their mouths open. It was a genius direction to go in. And yet, again IMO, all that razzle dazzle took a lot of focus off of the pure vocal talent that she possessed and a lot of people forgot that Diana didn't really need all that extra stuff to be entertaining. She really was in the same class as other women singers of her time, with the ability to just stand, mic in hand or in the mic stand, and just open her mouth and sing. She had such a beautiful voice. She still has a voice that should be heard and I think my idea would be a great way to remind the public of that.
    Agreed.

And also agreeing with PeaceNHarmony: Stay well, stay happy, and when she wants, perform and record.

Adding:
    Spend as much time with her family as she needs.

I have been in a leadership position for the last 30 years and I always tell my co-workers:
    1. parent
    2. spouse [[including friends and family you consider as a spouse)
    3. employee
    3b. family

And dreaming....dreaming..., always adding she doesn't owe us anything, besides being herself. Dreaming: "Stolen Moments" in a small venue. She really likes to interact with the audiences and in smaller venues it's much easier to do rather than the stadium tours she is used to, and doing once again, with all my respect.

i don't know if you ever have read through the reviews and all on the Diana Ross Project website but the author does an incredible job of reviewing all of her albums - sups and solo. he also includes the 70s supremes albums for good measure. while of course there are differences of opinions on songs, overall it's extremely well balanced. he rightfully identifies some songs as mediocre or superb.

the reason i bring this up is he is forever reminder the reader of the true TALENT that is Diana Ross. her pitch perfect singing, her interpretation, the fact that often singing a song very simply but also very honestly can be the hardest singing ever.

often the public and critics would dismiss Diana because her vocal style wasn't that of Aretha or Whitney. but that's because her voice isn't an aretha or whitney voice. but diana's technique and abilities are very impressive and we need to remind the public of this

From the time of An Evening With there was a definite shift in focus from being a singer to all round entertainer. I have always assumed Diana was the driving force behind that decision as BG had very little involvement in the producing and planning of that show.
    I think the second major shift was when she left Motown. It was suddenly a very different Diana, both in presentation and the genre and quality of music she was putting out.
    I remember reading a review of a show from 76 that mentioned she really didn’t need all the dazzle dazzle. It went on to say “Stick her up there in a sack and she would still grab you by your guts. I agree with its sentiment.

I remember there was a magazine about 20 years ago that ran a regular column in which the writer interviewed a musician or singer and played 5-7 songs they recorded over their career--some were hits, others deep cuts--and then asked questions about their reaction and memories of making those songs. I know Diana Ross rarely gives interviews anymore and when she does she pretty much changes the topic to her family, but I'd enjoy an interview asking her about 5-10 songs she's recorded over the years and gauge her memories and reactions.

From the time of An Evening With there was a definite shift in focus from being a singer to all round entertainer. I have always assumed Diana was the driving force behind that decision as BG had very little involvement in the producing and planning of that show.
    I think the second major shift was when she left Motown. It was suddenly a very different Diana, both in presentation and the genre and quality of music she was putting out.
    I remember reading a review of a show from 76 that mentioned she really didn’t need all the dazzle dazzle. It went on to say “Stick her up there in a sack and she would still grab you by your guts. I agree with its sentiment.
    Yup. As I said before, it was a genius move. The lady was more than a singer, and the direction of the entertainment business gave her the opportunity to showcase that. I just hate that it sometimes was at the expense of her God given singing abilities. With that being said, while I've never had the pleasure in person, just watching the way she mesmerizes an audience in footage from the mid to late 70s thru the 90s, in particular, it can be spine tingling.

On the other hand, watching her do "Touch By Touch" at the AMAs in front of Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight, among others, is cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I remember there was a magazine about 20 years ago that ran a regular column in which the writer interviewed a musician or singer and played 5-7 songs they recorded over their career--some were hits, others deep cuts--and then asked questions about their reaction and memories of making those songs. I know Diana Ross rarely gives interviews anymore and when she does she pretty much changes the topic to her family, but I'd enjoy an interview asking her about 5-10 songs she's recorded over the years and gauge her memories and reactions.
    Absolutely. Sometimes there is speculation that Diana doesn't remember or that she's not sentimental. I don't buy it. She may not remember everything- who does?- but she has memories. And I don't think one has to be sentimental to recall an event, a person, experience, etc. I think the lucky few who get a chance to interview Diana don't think to ask her this stuff. Mary used to get flack for giving the same old interview all the time: Supremes origins, her relationship with Diana. But that's what most of the interviewers were concerned with. Diana is the same way. She is constantly interviewed about the legacy of Motown, her hair and fashions, and either her children, or she forces the subject of her children. My favorite Mary interviews are when the interviewers go to stuff that's not the usual, like the one Mary did about being a survivor of domestic violence. I think Marv posted that video. I hope it's still up. She was almost always never asked about that. I'd like to see some interviewers step outside the usual questions for Diana. I'm almost a thousand percent sure that Diana has some pre-agreed topics to stay away from [[namely Florence and Mary), but I can't imagine "Don't ask Miss Ross about anything she recorded before 1981" is among them.

diana's technique and abilities are very impressive and we need to remind the public of this
    Or she needs to remind the public of this.

Absolutely. Sometimes there is speculation that Diana doesn't remember or that she's not sentimental. I don't buy it. She may not remember everything- who does?- but she has memories. And I don't think one has to be sentimental to recall an event, a person, experience, etc. I think the lucky few who get a chance to interview Diana don't think to ask her this stuff. Mary used to get flack for giving the same old interview all the time: Supremes origins, her relationship with Diana. But that's what most of the interviewers were concerned with. Diana is the same way. She is constantly interviewed about the legacy of Motown, her hair and fashions, and either her children, or she forces the subject of her children. My favorite Mary interviews are when the interviewers go to stuff that's not the usual, like the one Mary did about being a survivor of domestic violence. I think Marv posted that video. I hope it's still up. She was almost always never asked about that. I'd like to see some interviewers step outside the usual questions for Diana. I'm almost a thousand percent sure that Diana has some pre-agreed topics to stay away from [[namely Florence and Mary), but I can't imagine "Don't ask Miss Ross about anything she recorded before 1981" is among them.
    In all honesty Ran, unless she is recording a particular album at the time, i don’t think Diana would have much to share in the way of song selection, recording process or background info on songs she has recorded over the years. Generally, she goes into the studio, records the songs given and gets back in the car. Upwards and onwards. I honestly think she would struggle as regards any type of formal discussion.
    She has a few recollections as regards the need for independence around ”My Turn” and “Upside Down”, but I think that’s generally about the extent of it.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-08-2022 at 05:03 AM.

In all honesty Ran, unless she is recording a particular album at the time, i don’t think Diana would have much to share in the way of song selection, recording process or background info on songs she has recorded over the years. Generally, she goes into the studio, records the songs given and gets back in the car. Upwards and onwards. I honestly think she would struggle as regards any type of formal discussion.
    She has a few recollections as regards the need for independence around ”My Turn” and “Upside Down”, but I think that’s generally about the extent of it.
    Ollie I just don't believe that. If she were one of these artists who spent her career drugged and drunk, sure. But to think she doesn't have a bunch of recording memories just doesn't make sense to me. She'd be the exception to the rule for sure because I can't think of any of the sober artists who couldn't tell you some deep stuff about their work. I can't think of anyone who has had a lengthy career who couldn't go into at least some detail about their work. People have spent years convincing us that she was the type who didn't just show up, she was involved. The lady has to recall some recording sessions, some ideas around album conception, concert experiences, etc. But really, how do we know since she's never asked about this stuff?

I really am quite sick and tired of hearing about her looks, her children [[although I certainly understand her desire to "brag" about them, as a lot of parents do), and her views on the legacy of Motown, and even her place in it. Go deeper.

And while we're at it, release that second book!

Ollie I just don't believe that. If she were one of these artists who spent her career drugged and drunk, sure. But to think she doesn't have a bunch of recording memories just doesn't make sense to me. She'd be the exception to the rule for sure because I can't think of any of the sober artists who couldn't tell you some deep stuff about their work. I can't think of anyone who has had a lengthy career who couldn't go into at least some detail about their work. People have spent years convincing us that she was the type who didn't just show up, she was involved. The lady has to recall some recording sessions, some ideas around album conception, concert experiences, etc. But really, how do we know since she's never asked about this stuff?

I really am quite sick and tired of hearing about her looks, her children [[although I certainly understand her desire to "brag" about them, as a lot of parents do), and her views on the legacy of Motown, and even her place in it. Go deeper.

And while we're at it, release that second book!
    It would be lovely were that were true, but i honestly don’t believe it. Gary Katz himself mentioned how Diana would show up, record the songs then disappear. He described it as the low point of his career. Barry Gibb has also commented on her lack of involvement while recording the Eaten Alive set. We must also remember that many of her albums consist of a a ragbag of song styles with various producers.
    I feel sure she has many stories she could share about her days at Motown as a Supreme and solo star. I somehow doubt they would include in-depth discussions as regards album concepts and the recording process in general.

my guess on "her involvement" in her material is that it varied greatly over time. while working with A&S, it seems like she had more involvement and engagement with the producers. especially with The Boss. Val has mentioned how they worked with Diana at that time to get a sense of who she was, what she was wanting to express, etc.

i believe Bluebrock and some others have stated that during the RCA era, Diana was more or less just going through the motions. maybe with WDFFIL she was much more personally involved because it was her first lp as the producer and it was the first after motown. she wanted to prove that she could do it. after that, like with SE, it was just another lp in order to meet contractual requirements. her attention had shifted more to other business ventures and setting herself and her family up financially for the future. on Ross 83, you can practically hear her lack of involvement in her lazy vocals. and yes, fans have stated how the EA sessions were troublesome at best

after WO, it seems she reinserted herself back into her recording career. for Force, Take Me and Every day, she seems to have been actively engaged with the producers, finding material that was worthwhile. although her relationship with the motown label was lacking. also her box set was a total waste and then her personal problems interrupted the whole Every Day project

my guess on "her involvement" in her material is that it varied greatly over time. while working with A&S, it seems like she had more involvement and engagement with the producers. especially with The Boss. Val has mentioned how they worked with Diana at that time to get a sense of who she was, what she was wanting to express, etc.

i believe Bluebrock and some others have stated that during the RCA era, Diana was more or less just going through the motions. maybe with WDFFIL she was much more personally involved because it was her first lp as the producer and it was the first after motown. she wanted to prove that she could do it. after that, like with SE, it was just another lp in order to meet contractual requirements. her attention had shifted more to other business ventures and setting herself and her family up financially for the future. on Ross 83, you can practically hear her lack of involvement in her lazy vocals. and yes, fans have stated how the EA sessions were troublesome at best

after WO, it seems she reinserted herself back into her recording career. for Force, Take Me and Every day, she seems to have been actively engaged with the producers, finding material that was worthwhile. although her relationship with the motown label was lacking. also her box set was a total waste and then her personal problems interrupted the whole Every Day project
    One thing about “W0”, like it or not she sounds totally committed to the material. No phone-in performances on that one.
    You never know, we may get another commemorate box set in 2025 to mark her 55 years as a solo artist. Think of all the goodies it might contain.

Things You'd Like Ms. Ross To Do......... pop round for a coffee and a chat!

As I recall for that column in which the writer asked musicians about their recordings the writer would play the song for them then get their reaction. If Diana Ross were to do something like that as an interview [[highly unlikely), the writer better bring their phone so they can stream each song for her to get her reactions.

Diana knows things about people, the business, and the music. The stories she could tell- if she wanted to. She is often so guarded in interview settings, that she doesnÂ’t speak in depth about things. Or she trips herself and her words up. But if youÂ’ve watched her enough you will see that she does on occasion. She once shared a vivid memory of Otis Redding, and I was surprised. I donÂ’t know why I was though. She also remembered recording at Motown- in the alley, and in the bathroom by a toilet. She also remembers her recording sessions with Lionel Richie. She recalls rehearsals with the Supremes/and with Berry being very tough- to the point that she got emotional and started to tear up telling the story. This can be seen on M40. On Evan & AshleyÂ’s show, the one episode that Diana was featured, she went to the recording studio in Connecticut she recorded at and started to reminisce . These are things I recall off the top of my head. So in my opinion, she remembers all of this stuff. She lived it. But as was mentioned earlier in this discussion, she is rarely asked these types of questions. She seems like the kind of person that remembers these things, but not specifics like dates etc.

Love to hear.live.
    He lives in you
    Carry on.
    Not over you yet
    If you're not gonna love me right
    Overjoyed
    In the ones you love
    Are a few favs.plus new songs
    Turn up the sunshine
    If the world would dance