[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes "Unchained Melody"

Aight gang, I'm back to posting music. Did ya miss me?

How do you all rate the Supremes' version of this classic?

I was listening to the Symphony album last night, something I rarely do. Well I play side 2 fairly regularly, but usually skip side 1. Anyway, I realize that we don't often- if at all- talk about this particular cut and wanted to get your thoughts.

I actually like it. I would've liked it better if it sounded more Motown, but as is, the track is okay, although it kind of drags on a bit. I love Diana's vocal performance, as well as Flo and Mary's. Diana really showed off how superb her voice can be. Flo being Flo on that closing note was the perfect way to end it. Is it just me, or is Mary singing lower than she usually do?

Anyway, I give it an A-, if I had to grade it. You?

It’s not a favorite or mine, it’s just okay. I prefer the alternate vocal and mix released on the expanded Symphony CD.

i've always liked it but i do agree with a fan's post one time that this was oddly lacking in R&B feeling versus the Righteous Bros. So the white boys were more soulful than the black girls. Also Diana is really milking the emotion out of the song, maybe a little too much.

There are times with the girls were just a little too prim and proper in their recordings. it could be on these Symphony tunes they were wanting to sound more mature and "adult" but it's truly glaring on some of the A Go Go tracks, in particular the backing vocals. i don't think F and M could sound more square than they do on Sloopy and Money.

but those are pretty minor comments.

i do prefer Mary and Flo doing the bridge in the EE edition. hearing Flo's vocals really clearly was a treat and she sounds great

I'd give it a B.

I really like the sound of Diana's voice during this time, so angelic. But to be honest, when I play the SYMPHONY album, most likely I will skip this track. I don't think it is a bad recording. But it sort of drags and then here comes WITH A SONG IN MY HEART and WITHOUT A SONG. By that time, I am more than ready to skip to Side 2.

BTW: My favorite version of this song is Dionne Warwick's.

do not like the Supremes lazy sounding efforts in the background. maybe they should've come in later, and sounding different , at the end to help the song build , which it needs.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-03-2022 at 12:32 PM.

i like the Symphony album and the MOR tunes but they do start to blend together. Stranger, Unchained, With a song, Without. they could have used a little more variety in styles and songs. Wonderful Wonderful does but that's on Side 2

Stranger is probably my fav

I’ve always found it slightly dull. Diana sounds lovely, but the arrangement is rather lifeless with the background vocals a little to distracting. So different from the R&H collection where it all comes together.

Symphony is one of my favorite 60s albums, and it's a nice track, but certainly not a stand out. Blends in well with the rest, but that's about all I can say.

I have a quick story about this song. I didn't think it would mean anything to anyone but me but maybe I'm wrong. I was once with Mary in a club and the Righteous Brothers version was playing. Mary started singing the back up part that her and Flo sang on The Supremes version, "oh my love, oh my love..." I said to her, "you remember that?" And she said, "of course I do!" It just really surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I have a quick story about this song. I didn't think it would mean anything to anyone but me but maybe I'm wrong. I was once with Mary in a club and the Righteous Brothers version was playing. Mary started singing the back up part that her and Flo sang on The Supremes version, "oh my love, oh my love..." I said to her, "you remember that?" And she said, "of course I do!" It just really surprised me.
    Cute story. Small little things like this are nice to hear.

I never got into the Side One MOR cuts myself, they were cut in LA and just sound so generic. Yesterday is so bland I don't know why it is even on this lp. Unchained Melody is pleasant, if a bit long, but as others have said the Righteous Bros take us to church on it. I feel Ross's best MOR vocals on that lp are Stranger in Paradise and Wonderful, Wonderful, which really is wonderful. The stereo and mono versions are quite different on that track.

Again, the intent there was to present the Supremes, and especially Ross, as an act that transcended teeny-bop music. The cuts on There's A Place For Us seemed to have more punch to them.

Quite a nice version, but that's it for me.

i like the harmony of the group , something that got lost along the way

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I never got into the Side One MOR cuts myself, they were cut in LA and just sound so generic. Yesterday is so bland I don't know why it is even on this lp. Unchained Melody is pleasant, if a bit long, but as others have said the Righteous Bros take us to church on it. I feel Ross's best MOR vocals on that lp are Stranger in Paradise and Wonderful, Wonderful, which really is wonderful. The stereo and mono versions are quite different on that track.

Again, the intent there was to present the Supremes, and especially Ross, as an act that transcended teeny-bop music. The cuts on There's A Place For Us seemed to have more punch to them.
    both There's A Place and Symphony suffer IMO from a lack of proper mixing and mastering. I attribute this to the fact these were young adults just learning as you go. For instance the brass on Put On A Happy Face is to high in the mix and muddy, sometimes it's almost shrill. but then listen to the various brass sections on R&H which are flawless. and on Symphony the treble is too high. but then listen to what HDH later did with the Broadway to Hollywood tracks.

Just as it's interesting to hear and listen to how the girls grew and progressed, it's interesting to hear how the producers grew and how the motown recordings progressed