[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stoney and Meatloaf..Every Thing Under The Sun drops today.

Wish us luck gang. Been a long time coming. All you arm chair producers out there that buy the package, please give me a review on your thoughts of the CDs.
    Last edited by ralpht; 06-03-2022 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Wish us luck gang. Been a long time coming. All you arm chair producers out there that buy the package, please give me a review on your thoughts of the CDs.
    "I'm Still Waiting"....

The tracking page hasn't been updated the last 4 days, only received the parcel data.

the Netherlands is a bit far, I understand, but patience is a virtue. And, yes, of course you will get my feedback.

Had a chance to listen to this last night, Ralph, and I was overwhelmed by how incredible the music sounds. Just some great playing and strong vocals. The liner notes were exceptional and really put us in the timeline of how all this came to be, and then went. It's so exciting to discover such great music. Honestly, Shaun "Stoney" Murphy is new to me, and wow, what a singer. There's a lot packaged into this set, Ralph, and I will be listening to your work for quite a few weeks. I don't see this coming off my mp3 player any time soon.

Thom, thank you for the ;positive review. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

As far as your thoughts regarding Stoney, I always referred to her as the girl with the magic pipes.
    Last edited by ralpht; 06-03-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Was advised yesterday my copy would be delivered today but no, email this morning from Amazon that there are issues at the fullfillment centre.

My copy arrived yesterday afternoon. WOW doesn't quite give it propers. Randy Fairman, Joe Marchesi and Andy Skurow absolutely knocked it out of the park. I can't begin to explain how impressed I am with what these guys produced. I always said when you work with pros, you get professional results. There is so much music and information to enjoy, if you had to pay a hundred dollars for the package, you got a good deal. I will be posting my thoughts on the song content later today. For now, I simply want to give these three gentlemen my heartfelt thank yous. This release far exceeds any expectations I may have had. Many thanks again guys. Well done....well done.
    Last edited by ralpht; 06-04-2022 at 09:34 AM.

So, I am detecting a bit of Everyday People in the opening chords of All Kinds Of People, which seems like it should have been a great anthem for that period of time. Also, it's funny that What You See Is What You Get was almost pilfered for The Supremes. There are chords in the opening of that song that reminded me of their Oh My Poor Baby, which didn't see the light of day until The Supremes '70s Anthology. Regarding Sunshine [[Where's Heaven?), the duet recording is so emotional. It really grabs you. The LA solo version is more polished and doesn't grab me as much. It's a great song, Ralph. I've been humming that around the house! I know Meat Loaf, but Shaun's voice is so strong! Her belt is so powerful, and what a range! I'm going to have to download some of her other albums. This set has quickly become a favorite of mine. I wish it had been better appreciated back in the day. I wonder if the cover had anything to do with it. It doesn't seem to represent the music inside.

Thom I appreciate your thoughts. I'm not overly impressed with the L.A. recordings. They are well done, very well produced and engineered, but it isn't Stoiney. It appears they were trying to make her a "Pop" singer, which she certainly is not. As far as "Sunshine" I was extremely disappointed. I would have expected more from Gaudio. The track did not support Stoney. When I heard that a re-record was done with "Sunshine", I was flattered that my song was well thought of. What I thought they would do is simply put Stony's lead on the original multi track. I did not like Gaudio's at all. Stony's voice is all emotion to a track that goes nowhere.

You probably noticed the re-mix of "What You See" and "Lady Be Mine" I am usually opposed to that sort of thing, but They did a nice job on those two songs.Kind of lost Mike Campbell's haunting harmonica solo in "lady" but the rendition is interesting.

I remember when this album was released late in 1971. The first time I heard in its entirety was about a half year later when I moved in with my first roommate, Michael, who owned the album. I remember thinking it was a lot better than I had expected [especially judging from the album’s cover].

Later when Michael and I no longer lived together, the album sort of disappeared from consciousness. Some years after that I remember someone I knew bought a reissue of it. But when I heard it I remember thinking that it didn’t sound the same to me. And then it was gone again.

When I heard it was going to be released on CD I was pleasantly surprised. And delighted by the memories that news invoked. I decided to do some research on the album and much to my embarrassment I realized that Stoney and Shaun Murphy are the same person. Wow! Worse yet I hadn’t realized our forum leader, Ralph, was one of the producers. Yikes!

When I first played the set I was immediately taken with how great it sounded. It was awesome to hear this album again and remember those halcyon days. I remembered each song much better than I would have thought. But the big surprise came when the album tracks ended and the single mixes started and in a couple of seconds I knew that this was the version of “What You See Is What You Get” that I remembered. It was the 45 version. Of course. For me having that version again was worth the price of admission. So very cool.

Another great surprise were the eight Stoney solos. I have a greater appreciation of what she was capable of at that time. Her tracks in the set are the Stoney album we didn’t get. What a missed opportunity. I didn’t get Stoney’s full message when she was half of a duo.

For me the music is more rock than blues and more blues than soul. And it still sounds contemporary. Head to toe it is a fantastic package. What you would expect from Real Gone, et al. And everyone involved deserve the kudos they are thankful receiving. But special thanks to the people responsible for creating the original, the folks who had the vision. You all should be very proud of your work; it has stood the test of time.

This is not just a reissue and it’s not just a fabulous reissue, it’s a collector’s item. Miss it at your peril.

Soul, I get the idea that all the proper buttons have been pushed for you. Your positive review is much appreciated.

You are welcome Ralph. Yes, it does push all the right buttons. I am enjoying playing it repeatedly, discovering something new with each spin. Great project.

The whole package is fantastic and the tracks never sounded better. Love the Rare Earth label on the discs. Lovely and informative booklet.

Enjoying particularly the tracks I've not heard before and what is striking for me on the first couple of Stoney solo tracks is how much she sounds like Freda Payne. The fact that the others don't is testimony to the breadth and depth of her talent and vocal prowess. Certainly leaves you wanting to hear more.

Nothing to do with the vocal performance at all but I much prefer the original arrangement on "Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)". Much more feeling to it.

Gets top marks from me.

Mystery...Happy to hear you are enjoying the package. Yeah, Stoney can sing anything and pull it off. I agree regarding "Sunshine". Gaudio's version lacks dramatic punch, which disappointed me. I was expecting something a little more.

My production was a little more involved and Dave Van DePitte's outstanding string arrangement brought it all home.

15. Hey Ralph,
    I definitely agree with you on 'Sunshine'!!!! They did take great care in putting it all together though...... XO, Shaun 'Stoney'

16. Awwww.....thank you so much, Ralph!!!!

17. sophisticated_soul , Thank you so much for all your comments!!! I really appreciate it....
    Shaun 'Stoney' Murphy https://shaunmurphyband.com

Stoney, I appreciate the fact that Gaudio put some effort in "Sunshine". His talent and musical reputation are second to none. I simply think he booted that one and kind of left you hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Murphy [[Stoney) View Post
    sophisticated_soul , Thank you so much for all your comments!!! I really appreciate it....
    Shaun 'Stoney' Murphy https://shaunmurphyband.com
    You are more than welcome, Shaun. I am really enjoying this project. Thank you for the link. So many albums, I think I'll start with the last one first. And I'll keep an eye out for the one you are working on right now.
    I took your nine solo tracks on EUTS and created a playlist. And at 32 minutes it's like an album. And what an awesome album it is. Thank you for all the great music.

As usual, a well written and researched article on this release by Adam White on his fantastic West Grand Blog : -

https://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/murphy-meat

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    "I'm Still Waiting"....

The tracking page hasn't been updated the last 4 days, only received the parcel data.

the Netherlands is a bit far, I understand, but patience is a virtue. And, yes, of course you will get my feedback.
    Got it today, playing it right now.

I already had the digital album through Apple Music, however, the packaging, annotations and pictures makes the physical product all worth while.

Stoney solo, I can hear her talent, but in my opinion, too middle of the road. She is an outstanding singer and it feels that only 80% of her talent is used on the songs.

The 2022 mixes, wow.....Love it! The clarity, the musical talent!

Ralph, Russ, Harry, thank you for creating this in the 70's, Kevin, Harry and all other names mentioned at the end at the booklet, thank you for making getting us 2 cd's!

And Meat, pointing to heaven, thank you for your talent! And Ms Murphy, thank you too! And thank you for making the effort of signing the booklet.

Anyone in doubt, because it can maybe not considered to be the classical Motown sound, buy it! As written before, the Motown sound was constant evolving and there are plenty connections to the classic Motown. Buy it!

Thank you
    Last edited by 1382hitsville; 06-16-2022 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

I'm always thrilled to hear a happy music fan. Thank you, Hitsville. I agree with all you have written.

An interview with Shaun....[[Stoney)

https://soulmusic.com/a-con

Full disclosure: I bought first S&L album when it came out and promptly got rid because I was expecting a Motown Sound.
    Just bought EUTS CD set based on SDF comments and must say my more mature ears are impressed. Sorry folks it took me a while but I got there. With symphonic metal like Nightwish, Within Temptation etc + of course Bat Out Of Hell behind me it now makes sense to me. Their voices are perfectly matched, the tracks spot on fitting to a [[Ralph) T the mood of each song. There’s a b-i-g theatrical dimension throughout but mature & ballsy not luvvie. The one classic Motown cover is an original & refreshing take. Fully agree with all the comments on the LA sessions [[sorry Mr Gaudio tho you’re still a legend). After soul my other passion is the blues so naturally I’m in awe of Shaun’s solo tracks tho she can switch to sweet & tender in a beat. And the mastering is astounding, so clear & balanced but never clinical or antiseptic. The photos old and new really capture the times. What a quality release on every level. Massive thanks to everyone involved then & now.

Tony, I'm glad you had a change of heart. Thank you for the revue. Also, you can thank Russ for his excellent mixes. He always amazed me with his talent.
    Last edited by ralpht; 07-09-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Too true Ralph. Those are such disparate elements from the power vocals to soft vocals, screaming guitars to pop backing to showbiz instrumentation. It can’t have been at all easy. All props to Russ, it all shines through intact, no flattening, truly masterful mixing.

Tony, Russ has a record of 89 #1 singles and 35 platinum albums. The boy was busy.

We got word from the record company that sales of the Everything Under The Sun project are going quite well and we are getting very good reviews. Always welcome news.

29. I am so very pleased with all these positive comments and reviews!! Thank you all for the great reviews..... I'm with Ralph, love spreading the word on this fabulous reissue, I've been involved with it since early 2019 with Randy Fairman, and couldn't be more pleased with all that was done to finally release this great package!!!

I am so very pleased with all these positive comments and reviews!! Thank you all for the great reviews..... I'm with Ralph, love spreading the word on this fabulous reissue, I've been involved with it since early 2019 with Randy Fairman, and couldn't be more pleased with all that was done to finally release this great package!!!
    Good to read! And well deserved

Thank you, Hitsville.

After reading this entire thread, I would like to, once again, thank all of you for your positive input and support of the project. I can't tell you how much that means to Stoney and me.

Due to the age of the recordings, listening to the songs serves as a time capsule for me. For instance, when I listen to "Lady Be Mine" I get to hear the genius of Babbitt on bass, Ray Monette on guitar and Mike Campbell's harp solo. These guys definitely knew what they were doing.

Sweet.

And so did you and your brother

Thank you Hitsville. That is very kind. I might also mention Mike Valvano.

Ralph, I pre-ordered the Stoney & Meatloaf 2-CD version on the day it became available for pre-order which qualified me for Stoney's autographed booklet, which makes it really special!.

I'm sorry to be reviewing so late. As we had discussed on the Forum a year or two ago, I had already purchased the Stoney & Meatloaf CD on the Big Pink CD label which sounded fantastic, and was a Motown album I never thought I'd experience on CD. Now that the Stoney & Meatloaf album is available in a 2-CD Expanded version, how could I not repeat the purchase!

In a nutshell, the new front-cover photo is fresh and exciting -- 100% better than the original front-covrr photo which was downright strange. The new version sounds every bit as impressive as the previous Big Pink version -- maybe even a tad better! My favorite tracks remain the same as before.

CD 1:
    Track 1 - "I'd Love To Be As Heavy As Jesus"
    Track 2 - "She Waits By The Window"
    Track 3 - "It Takes All Kinds Of People"
    Track 6 - "What You See Is What You Get"
    Track 7: "Sunshine [Where's Heaven]"

Despite what others may have said, my favorite tracks on CD 1 sound every bit as Motown-ish to me as releases by the top-tier Motown artists. Musically speaking, the Motown magic is firmly intact here on each and every one of the titles listed above which I find thrilling! As before, in my previous review, my overall favorite track is "Sunshine [Where's Heaven]". I can never play it just once. One play under the headphones turns into at least five or six additional plays over and over -- and, dependng on my mood, sometimes more!

Rslph, your original Motown version of "Sunshine [Where's Heaven]" remais the definitive version for me -- far better than the previously-unreleased version on CD 2.

CD 2 favorites are as folliws:
    1) "Let Me Come Down Easy"
    2) " It's Always Me"
    4) "A Woman Left Lonely"
    7) "Sunshine [Where's Heaven]" [okay, but lacking the emotion and intensity of the original Motown version on CD 1.)
    8) "Touch And Go" [Wow! What a beautiful cover version of the Al Wilson original!] Easily my favorite track on CD 2!

More With Meatloaf:
    9) "The Way You Do The Things You Do"
    11) "Stone Heart" [with The Andantes, no less! What a treat!]
    14) "It Takes All Kinds Of People"

All in all, Ralph, a super-satisfying set from the Motown vaults! Thanks for your always-impressive contribution!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-14-2022 at 04:24 AM.

Gary, many thanks for the kind words and review.

Gary, do you hear that oooooooo sound at the very beginning of Sunshine? That is Bongo Eddy using his middle finger rubbing the drum skin making that sound. He showed that to me before the session started and had me try it. I couldnīt make it happen. So I told Eddy to put it somewhere in the track. And he did just that. Thought this might lnterest you.

I have tried communicating with the guys that are in charge of this release, but have not heard from them for quite a while. It seems to be failing and I feel there has been poor efforts regarding promotion. Any suggestions I have offered seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Too bad. I really trusted these guys. This should have been a slam dunk.
    Last edited by ralpht; 09-27-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Response from the record company.
    Ralph,
    we appreciate all that you’ve done! The reissue isn’t a failure at all. While we’d be grateful for even more promotion, the CD set has been selling well and getting long-overdue attention. It will be featured in Record Collector magazine in print in November. We kept spreading the word this weekend at the HAL Awards in LA where Meat was featured in the memorial tribute, too. I’ve heard so much wonderful feedback from inside and outside of the Motown family, and we’re all so grateful to you and Stoney!
    Last edited by ralpht; 09-27-2022 at 05:45 PM.

41. Ralph, You are the constant warrior in this continuing saga......I know I speak for so many, when I say that there's so much more 'reach' that should happen with this reissue!!!! Bless ya, Shaun [[AKA: Stoney)
    Last edited by Shaun Murphy (Stoney); 09-27-2022 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Changed a character.

Stoney [and you will remain Stoney for the duration of this release] I want you to have your day in the sun. It is not that you donīt bring solid cred to this release. Seventeen years with Little Feat and countless tours with Bob Seger and your own band in Nashville only confirms the respect I have for your incredible talent.

Meat went on his own after Motown and found success beyond his wildest dreams. I simply want the same for you. It is your turn to be in the spotlight. I have had the good fortune to be involved with some extremely talented singers, male and female and, in my mind, you remain the absolute best I have had the pleasure to work with. I fervently want this reissue to succeed so I can contemplate where we take you next.

This was posted on Face Book by Joe Marchesi regarding upcoming article.

Out today! Stoney & Meat Loaf [[or Meatloaf as his name was styled for this particular project). The excellent Motown/Rare Earth album that Meat Loaf recorded in the early 70s as part of a duo with Shaun Murphy [[Stoney) has been expanded to twice its original length for a new reissue by Real Gone/Second Disc Records. I spoke to Shaun Murphy and others… Order: https://recordcollectormag.com

I bought the CD set and I'm saying this as a die-hard 1960's era Motown Sound fanatic: this Stoney and Meat Loaf release blew me away. Blew. Me. Away. And then some. I knew this wasn't going to sound like the Four Tops, Marvelettes and Supremes material. I knew this was Rare Earth Rock, which I really need to pay a lot more attention to. This Stoney and Meat Loaf release is an excellent gateway to stoking my interest in more of the Rare Earth catalog.

I played the entirety of both CDs in my car non-stop for several days and I found that I was enjoying it as much as if this was a shipload of unearthed Marvelettes recordings from the vault. I say that as a way to say that I didn't just like the music, it hit me deep. Deep somewhere in that hard-to-describe place in your psyche when the music just takes over your soul and can elevate your mood from "ok" to "OK! Now I can conquer the world right about now!"

Stoney, Shaun Murphy, is a complete, COMPLETE revelation for me. Dear Lord, it's like I need His strength to revive me after hearing her, and hearing Shaun AND Meatloaf together, there are not enough positive adjectives for how that feels. "What You See Is What You Get" and "It Takes All Kinds of People" would have been automatic "must have" 45s if I had been old enough to buy 'em at the time. The cover of "The Way You Do The Things You Do" works out exceptionally well. And that says a lot.

I've been raving about this release to my friends that I know are hard-core Rock fans, and I'll keep right on raving about it to anyone who'll listen. This is one of my most-treasured Motown purchases, and yes, I did purchase two. It was well worth it. So wonderful, too, to be able to read Ms. Murphy's comments and posts here. I really enjoy the Stoney solo material [[why did Motown always make these amazing records and then just stash 'em away?) In my eyes and heart, Stoney, and Meat Loaf, are right up there with the most legendary Motown artists. Huge, HUGE thanks to everyone's super, extremely hard work in getting this out there. New Stoney & Meat Loaf fans are being created and crafted because of this.

I couldnīt ask for a better review than that. Thank you.

46. WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance,
    I can't thank you enough for this amazing review! It is so obvious you've spent an in-depth amount of time on all nuances of the cds!! I so appreciate all your kind words......
    I had lunch the other day with Deborah, Meat Loaf's wife, and gave her a copy of the reissue, [[which she'd never heard about.) I was shocked they hadn't contacted her about this momentous occurrence!! I feel that the company is losing a golden opportunity from not forging ahead with more publicity and sales on this incredible reissue!!! Ralph has been almost single-handedly championing this cause, and I so applaud him!!!!!!

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance,
    I can't thank you enough for this amazing review! It is so obvious you've spent an in-depth amount of time on all nuances of the cds!! I so appreciate all your kind words......
    I had lunch the other day with Deborah, Meat Loaf's wife, and gave her a copy of the reissue, [[which she'd never heard about.) I was shocked they hadn't contacted her about this momentous occurrence!! I feel that the company is losing a golden opportunity from not forging ahead with more publicity and sales on this incredible reissue!!! Ralph has been almost single-handedly championing this cause, and I so applaud him!!!!!!
    You are so welcome Ms. [[I NEVER know the right terms to sound respectful, ha ha!) Murphy and I really meant every word. In fact, I was trying to keep from going on even longer! I mean, it literally took seconds, mere seconds, for me to love your voice, alone and with Meat Loaf. In general, once Motown's music hits the 70s, I don't get the same excitement from it as I do with the 60s material [[I know that's not really fair!) but this Stoney & Meat Loaf material actually has been like the feeling I had as a kid whenever I'd discover yet another Motown group; that rush of adrenaline and raw excitement where I wanted to hear EVERYTHING I could from that group. "Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)" and "Let Me Come Down Easy", Wow! Those hit me right in the chest. Listening to the solo material, with each song I kept thinking Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Lesley Gore, Kiki Dee, Chris Clark, the Four Seasons, Meat Loaf, Shaun Murphy - all of this amazing, mind-blowing talent that Motown just let go.

I know Ralph, Mr. Terrana, has been pretty much a one-man promotions department for this release and I too could never understand why this hasn't been seen as a major league opportunity for promotion. To me just those two seemingly contradictory names- Meat Loaf/Motown would practically create its own kind of publicity! I know it worked for me! Amazing that not even Meat Loaf's wife hadn't heard. But let's hope that this will be more of a grass roots thing where the awareness grows maybe slowly, but continuously and not just flare out quickly. I know with my big mouth I've been hyping this CD to everyone!

P.S. I'm looking forward to getting more of your post-Motown recordings right in the mix of all my favorite albums and CDs now! Still more new music to discover thanks to this CD!

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I couldnīt ask for a better review than that. Thank you.
    You're welcome- to the max! You really opened a door here for me with this release. Even the packaging is excellent. I'll be talking it up to all my Classic Rock-loving buddies til they tell me to stop!

The November issue of the respected British music publication, Record Collector, has done an impressive spread on the Stoney and Meatloaf re-issue. I have yet to receive a copy but should have one soon. It takes a bit of work to promote a record and Iḿ doing what I can. I understand things are going quite well but I can always use a little extra help in promotion. If there are any Forum DJs looking in, I would appreciate anything you can do to help. I can arrange a promo package for you. If I can get a link to the piece I will post it.

50. Hey Ralph, I wanted to let y'all know that I just received my copy of the November Issue of Record Collector Magazine, and it is a stellar job that Charles Donovan did on the article!!!! Folks can order this UK mag through: https://recordcollectormag.com/issue/november-2022.
    Ralph, Hope you could read the snaps I sent of it...lol.... I tried to get a link to the post, but all I could get was the order page.....You might try checking the authors page next month to see if he puts it up, it's not there as yet though.....http://www.charlesdonovan.com/2022/
    Hope everyone has an amazing holiday season!!!!! XO, Shaun Murphy [[Stoney)
    Last edited by Shaun Murphy (Stoney); 11-29-2022 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...