[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mary: My Eyes

Mary: My Eyes

Does anyone know the background of how "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" came to be Mary's "signature" solo in the DRATS era?

The song was originally released by Frankie Valli in 1967, reaching #2 on the Billboard charts. Unless Mary was performing it in 1968, it really wasn't until 1969 that she began her "spotlight" performance of this song, both on the HOLLYWOOD PALACE, and in concert.

IMO while Mary is capable, there's nothing about this 2 year old track [[by then) that showcases her vocal ability. Was it a personal favorite? An ode to Tom? LOL.

The Supremes version was completed in May 1968. Mary had recorded at least one lead a year since 1963 and I imagine that this song- big hit that it was at the time- was picked as Mary's requisite once a year lead recording and then shelved. From there, either Eddie was added to the already finished track or he and Mary re-recorded it a year later for the Together sessions, and of course it ended up on the Together album.

When exactly Mary first performed the song live is a great question. Perhaps the song was put in the live act to give Mary a moment, and since it was her most recent lead released on record, it might have made sense to just go with it. I suspect that her performance of it on the Hollywood Palace was a test to see what Mary Wilson, lead singer, looks like on TV. Although Jean was already in line for the job, having Mary shoulder some of the load so as not to overwhelm Jean, might have been a consideration.

Regarding my personal feelings on the song, I think the non-duet version is nice, but nothing that knocks my socks off. The duet version is disappointing, as I would've thought Mary and Eddie would sound great together, but it just doesn't do much for me. The version on the Hollywood Palace is incredibly underwhelming and does not show Mary in the best light. Other versions are okay to good, but it's the version on the Japan album that spotlights just how much Mary had grown as a vocalist. It's one of my favorite Mary vocal performances.

The song was in their act by the fall of 1968 [[as well as Falling In Love With Love). Not sure if it was in the act before that though.

wow I'd say Mary outclasses the group for a minute, when they revert to being The Supremes at the end its almost goofy.

From all I've read, Mary always lobbied hard in the 60s to get a lead or solo in the act, and by 68 or so she was given her spot. Partly I'm sure to reduce tensions in the group. I also understand Diana was fine with it as well as it gave her a chance to rest her voice, and again, given the emphasis being put on Diana, it may have eased Mary's resentments.

The Supremes' set list was always a mix of their own hits, Broadway/Jazz standards and covers of recent hits by other acts. So it was not beyond the realm of possibility for The Supremes to do a cover of Can't Take My Eyes off of You in their show or on record.

Mary was introduced as the sexy one and Can't Take My Eyes off of You certainly works as a song that could be sung by the "sexy one", especially the arrangement that was worked out for this as it allowed Mary to sing the verse in a sultry way.

Neither Can't Take MY Eyes off of You or Falling in Love with Love are Wow, amazing moments for a Supremes performance, but they were fine additions to the show. They entertained, gave Mary a chance to contribute more to the act, while at the same time not threatening Diana as the star of the show or plans to break Diana out as a solo act superstar.

To my memory, "Can't Take My Eyes" was added to the act around the time of the release of the Together lp with the Tempts, which was late summer or early fall 1969. It served several purposes; it promoted the new duet lp, eased the public into knowing what Mary sounded like as her position was about to be upped with Ross leaving, and provided a point in the show for costume changes.

Going into 1970 Motown had to completely re-vamp the ladies stage show. Jean was the new girl and given a comedic line here and there, but Cindy emerged as the comedienne of the group. Motown took advantage of Mary's persona as the sexy one by slowing "Can't Take My Eyes" down to a sultry torch song and pairing it with Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars. Mary always got a good ovation with that medley.

i prefer the version on the Live In Japan album

Did Cindy and Diana usually leave the stage for costume changes when Mary sang?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    To my memory, "Can't Take My Eyes" was added to the act around the time of the release of the Together lp with the Tempts, which was late summer or early fall 1969. It served several purposes; it promoted the new duet lp, eased the public into knowing what Mary sounded like as her position was about to be upped with Ross leaving, and provided a point in the show for costume changes.

Going into 1970 Motown had to completely re-vamp the ladies stage show. Jean was the new girl and given a comedic line here and there, but Cindy emerged as the comedienne of the group. Motown took advantage of Mary's persona as the sexy one by slowing "Can't Take My Eyes" down to a sultry torch song and pairing it with Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars. Mary always got a good ovation with that medley.
    Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did Cindy and Diana usually leave the stage for costume changes when Mary sang?
    From what I remember, usually Diana left to make a change, came back on to her solo spots while Mary and Cindy changed.

Going toward the end of 1969 the group cut down on personal appearances as plans for Ross's departure and rehearsals for Ross and the Supremes with Jean began in earnest. Also the ladies were done lots of recordings trying to find a new sound for each. Jean in particular did a ton of recordings, most of which were not with Mary and Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

They were doing it much earlier than that. I remember reading a review for one of their shows in late '68 and Can't Take My Eyes Off You was one of the songs mentioned that they performed.

I don't know if Diana and Cindy left the stage though since they sang background. Unless they did it during the first half of the song and came back on in time to sing the backup parts towards the end of the song.

I thought Can't Take My Eyes Off You was an ok song for Mary to have as a featured lead as it was something she recorded. She did record it as a duet with Eddie but I did prefer her singing it solo especially later in the 70's when she was more confident. Still, by the 70's this song was an oldie and the Supremes weren't even singing their own oldies except as quick medleys. It was nice she finally sang a lead on something during DRATS but it never really showcased her voice and it stayed in their act for far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post

I thought Can't Take My Eyes Off You was an ok song for Mary to have as a featured lead as it was something she recorded. She did record it as a duet with Eddie but I did prefer her singing it solo especially later in the 70's when she was more confident. Still, by the 70's this song was an oldie and the Supremes weren't even singing their own oldies except as quick medleys. It was nice she finally sang a lead on something during DRATS but it never really showcased her voice and it stayed in their act for far too long.
    Mary put a full solo vocal on that song, Eddie was dubbed onto it

They sped up the hits medley so fast you can barely recognize them--but they slowed down this already slow song! It's so bizarre.