[REMOVE ADS]

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    This could be why they weren't more popular. Lead singer had no charisma, not a smile, low energy. Background singers were far more interesting to watch and seemed more "into" it. I've seen clips of the group in recent years where they were better than here. They had some great recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This could be why they weren't more popular. Lead singer had no charisma, not a smile, low energy. Background singers were far more interesting to watch and seemed more "into" it. I've seen clips of the group in recent years where they were better than here. They had some great recordings.
    I have to agree. A great find but an uninspired performance and the recording itself is not quite on-point.

I think it's a classic case of how other girl groups at Motown suffered while the Supremes soared. By 1966, the Supremes were wigged out, lashed out, sequined out, playing top notch supper clubs and Sullivan; these gals look like they threw on a house dress for local TV. Not to say the Velvelettes weren't talented, but the song is bland, the choreography is minimal, and the performance unforgettable. Could have been any girl group from the 60's.

Wow! Different strokes I guess. My main issue with the video is its poor quality. So I don't think you can fairly judge the girls 50 years later from that. As for the song itself...meaning the studio recording....I thought it was one of the Velvelettes' best. But Mary is of course right on one point which has been discussed to the hilt on here over the years......that the Supremes were "IT" after a certain point in time and the other girl groups were wayyyyyyy down the list in priority.

Both Martha Reeves & the Vandellas & the Marvelettes had GREAT stage personality.

I love The Velvelettes - don't see much wrong with the performance and the song is great. Cal is a sexy lady. I can enjoy it for what it is [[not what I think it should have been). They did it their way and are very well regarded in the UK. But as it says above, different strokes.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-03-2022 at 07:43 AM.

I always felt Cal had a certain sultriness or sexiness to her as well, that likely wasn't used to it's full extent by Motown at the time. Other side of the coin is sex wasn't as much of a selling point for talent at the time as it is today. I'm too young to know as I wasn't alive in the 60's, but I doubt that promoters were dumb to the idea either!

After meeting her a couple times, Cal still has that certain something about her even to this day!

The good thing is that there are clips of the Velvs on line from that time singing their best loved songs - "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' " and "Needle In A Haystack". All lovely though all monochrome. Obviously there are colour vids later on from Ian Levine [[and others) and these are great too [[the girls always look fab). Not sure if there's a live vid of "A Bird In The Hand" but I'd love a clip of them singing "Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I" which is my fave of theirs.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-05-2022 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The good thing is that there are clips of the Velvs on line from that time singing their best loved songs - "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' " and "Needle In A Haystack". All lovely though all monochrome. Obviously there are colour vids later on from Ian Levine [[and others) and these are great too [[the girls always look fab). Not sure if there's a live vid of "A Bird In The Hand" but I'd love a clip of them singing "Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I" which is my fave of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Why do most of these early clips show only 3 members? I thought there were four?
    Did one quit and come back later?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Why do most of these early clips show only 3 members? I thought there were four?
    Did one quit and come back later?
    I believe by the time of these appearances, the originals [besides Cal and Betty] were married and parents.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Great stuff, thank you Reese. Made my day.

Watching the original posted video of "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You," I can see where some feel Cal's energy in the lip-synching performance isn't where is could/should have been. She seems to be on-point with the lip-synch, but... I would say any critique I would have would be: "you're telling your love how they can be sure to keep your love alive. Try to look...a little more joyful, a little sweeter while you're doing it!" Do I think it's a terrible performance? No, I don't. Maybe Cal was having a bad day? Maybe she was wondering whether she left the iron on back at home...? If this were a Supremes or a Vandella performance, I'd think "what was [[insert lead singer) thinking?!" But as this is the Velvelettes who perhaps weren't getting as much A&R attention at that time in developing how they performed lip-synch performances? Maybe their manager wasn't paying close enough attention to point these things out? Maybe, maybe, maybe... I just think that this looks like a local TV dance show [[do we know where? Detroit?) where these ladies were likely getting a chance at TV exposure AND the shows were probably thrilled to have a MOTOWN ACT appearing, so... it wasn't high-stakes. This wasn't Ed Sullivan or Hollywood Palace. I want to find the good in the clip. Future Vandella Sandy Tilley [on the left] showed what a great dancer she was in this--and she and Annette McMillan moved well together. Cal's lip-synch was good. They all looked pretty in their smart cocktail dresses. Footage of the 1960s Velvelettes isn't very plentiful so it's nice to see this.

Yes, I'm with you @Danman

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    What a strange thing to say - Cal has enough charisma to sink a battle ship - maybe she doesn't seem 'into it' to you however I can assure you she is more than 'into it'. Just because she doesn't wave her arms around - throw her head back, roll her eyes or flick her hair doen't mean to say she's anything less of an entertainer. Her performances are today every bit as good live as she was when she was twenty and the other ladies of the group are the same, nothing less that 100 per cent input from each and every one of them. You are of course entitled to your opinion - it is of course possible that she was not happy lip syncing as I know the lady likes singing live.