[REMOVE ADS]

Carolyn Crawford background on Martha Reeves song

I just learned something that I unaware of. Carolyn Crawford, who in my opinion gets very little recognition on the Motown Forum, was a Vandella in the late nineties and as such was taken full circle and her voice was used at Motown to add extra backing on "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things."

Does anyone know of any other groups or songs she was part of?

She sang backgrounds on Martha's HOME TO YOU cd.

Woodward, where did you find that info please? Her name is not listed anywhere in connection with this! Carolyn left Motown in 1964, 'Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)' was not recorded until May 1965. Seems unlikely that she sang on it!

Copley,

I don't know the source of this story, but it's worth noting that Kim Weston recorded the original version of this song in April 1964, when Carolyn was still with Motown; from the sound if it, Martha's overdub just replaces Kim's lead, so in a sense Carolyn's vocal background [[if she was there) is present on Martha's version.

Best
    Keith

Thanks Keith, that is a very interesting point that had not occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Woodward, where did you find that info please? Her name is not listed anywhere in connection with this! Carolyn left Motown in 1964, 'Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)' was not recorded until May 1965. Seems unlikely that she sang on it!
    This information was released by the Motown & Motorcity Fan Club of Kendal Cumbria in an extensive four page document 8-1/2 x 11. There is a thorough story about Carolyn from her birthday until it was published in the early 90's. I learned a lot about her that has never been revealed previously. She certain deserves more credit than she has been given. She has recorded enough on Motown and fortunately she has stacked up many fans in the world. There has not been a sizeable amount written by her and this story is probably the most comprehensive one that appears anywhere.

Caroline Crawford was born July 19, 1949 so was a young teenager whilst recording at Motown. It's maybe not surprising that she recorded backing for some Motown tracks but maybe wasn't allowed to receive credit because of her age?

Carolyn's issued Motown tracks from DFTMS are

Devil In His Heart
    Forget About Me
    I'll Come Running
    Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)
    Lover Boy
    My Heart
    My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
    Think Of The Times
    Too Young, Too Long
    Until You Came Along
    Watch Yourself
    When Someone's Good To You
    [[12 titles)

She was part of Hodges, James, Smith and Chapter 8 and also recorded for Philadelphia International [[where there is a canned album). Carolyn also recorded backing tracks for example for Hamilton Bohannon and had 2 albums released on Mercury records.

Carolyn Crawford was certainly part of the Motorcity Project and appeared on the Legends Of Motorcity Tour [[with Marv Johnson, Syreeta, Jean, Scherrie and Lynda of The Supremes, The Elgins and Kim Weston).

There may be more vaulted tracks at Motown [[maybe not?) but on the released material alone not enough to fill a CD. A full career retrospective might be an idea but how well would something like that sell.

Seems there still much more to discover about Carolyn Crawford - what we have in released Motown really leaves you wanting more. "My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down" has to be in my list of favourite all time Motown tracks.

An Andy Hill interview with Carolyn

https://www.suityourselfmodernists.c...rolyn-crawford
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-29-2022 at 07:47 PM.

Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for posting this. I learned a lot I did not know about her and I am certain others did also.

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting that. I met Carolyn in early 90's she was a Vandella when Martha played House of Blues out by Disney in Fla. We had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Copley,

I don't know the source of this story, but it's worth noting that Kim Weston recorded the original version of this song in April 1964, when Carolyn was still with Motown; from the sound if it, Martha's overdub just replaces Kim's lead, so in a sense Carolyn's vocal background [[if she was there) is present on Martha's version.

Best
    Keith
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wonder if Carolyn was actually still with Motown when Martha and The Vandellas recorded "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things". I'm sure I saw recording dates by Carolyn on some of her later unreleased recordings that were into at least mid 1965. I think "Keep Stepping and Never Look Back" was one of them. Perhaps "Lover Boy" also , but that sounds more like a 1964 sound to my ears.

According to DFTMC, Kim Weston's version of "Love[[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" was completed 10 April 1964 and the one by Martha and The Vandellas on 5 May 1965 which was overdubbed on the backing track for Kim's version.

I'm no expert on this but I suspect if they needed additional female backing it would have been on Kim's version as Martha would have The Vandellas presumably [[or maybe Carolyn was standing in as a Vandella back then lol). Must have a listen to see if there are differences on the backing for the two versions.

Worth noting though that Carolyn's "Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)" was completed 2 June 1965 and "Lover Boy" on 21 June 1965 so anything is possible.

In the Andy Hill article mentioned above, Carolyn says she sang background on the Vandellas' YOU'VE BEEN IN LOVE TOO LONG. As LOVE [[MAKES ME DO FOOLISH THINGS) was its b-side, maybe some confusion started regarding which one she actually sang on.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    According to DFTMC, Kim Weston's version of "Love[[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" was completed 10 April 1964 and the one by Martha and The Vandellas on 5 May 1965 which was overdubbed on the backing track for Kim's version.

I'm no expert on this but I suspect if they needed additional female backing it would have been on Kim's version as Martha would have The Vandellas presumably [[or maybe Carolyn was standing in as a Vandella back then lol). Must have a listen to see if there are differences on the backing for the two versions.

Worth noting though that Carolyn's "Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)" was completed 2 June 1965 and "Lover Boy" on 21 June 1965 so anything is possible.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  21.1 KB
    Nice to know that my old memory is still at least partly intact!

You are a mine of information Robb - truly a most valued contributor to this forum.

Carolyn has told me she sang background on those songs, and was backed up with her claim by Roz of the Vandellas. Carolyn was also with Motown through 1965 when she was released from her contract.