[REMOVE ADS]

Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1972 - [Pt. 2]

Due to the high volume of content, the year 1972 is being divided into three threads. This is Part II. May -August.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #19

May 6, 1972

previously on Motown and Billboard's
    Hot 100/ Top 40 :

Number of singles reviewed this week: 116 [Last week: 70]

Including:
    Marvin Gaye - YOU'RE THE MAN [pt. I]
    The Four Tops - I CAN'T QUIT YOUR LOVE

The Jackson Family. That's Motown this week in a nutshell. Two of Motown's three Top 40 hits are theirs, while the third, by Gladys Knight, peaks modestly . Michael going solo, has the highest performing release, in the Top Five, and The Jackson Five, as a group, are advancing upward with a bullet. The rest of the Motown singles are surviving but not thriving. The Supremes are this week's glimmer of hope with a quick return to the Hot 100, their second charter under Smokey Robinson, with BAD WEATHER which seems at odds as a title for a summertime release. One single drops off so once again the label has six titles.

Top 10:

A major shift within the Top 10, no repeaters except at the very top, now in her 4th week at #1 is Roberta Flack, the thirty-five year old former school teacher who was one of the youngest students to attend Howard University with a musical scholarship at age 15. Now 20 years later and through a long struggle, seemingly overnight Flack is the music industry's hottest sensation.
    THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE has blocked Michael Jackson from reaching the top, after two weeks of trying from the #2 position, ROCKIN' ROBIN now dips to #4. This gives Joe Tex a chance for the pinnacle as I GOTCHA is now #2 from #3. Right behind him, The Stylistics press upward to #3 from #4 with BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW. Aretha also moves up one, she's DAYDREAMING at #5, making the Top 5 comprised of records that are also charting soul. As is this week's strongest Top 10 entry, I'LL TAKE YOU THERE by the Staple Singers who make a huge leap from #18 to #7. One other song also breaks through, BACK OFF BOOGALOO by Ringo Starr, with just a nudge up from #11 putting him in the Top 10 at #10. Two are out : IN THE RAIN by The Dramatics from #7 to #15 and Sonny and Cher's A COWBOYS WORK is apparently done, peaking last week at #8 and now it tumbles way down to #18.

Top 40:

Motown:

ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #4 down 2 from #2, its plateau.
    HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips stalling: #33 again at #33.
    ^ LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five #26 up 6 from #32

No drop offs from Motown

Biggest mover on the chart, eleven spots:
    I'LL TAKE YOU THERE - Staple Singers #7 from #18

Five new records, mixed bag, two newbies, all American save Rolling Stones
    Highest Debut:
    TUMBLING DICE - Rolling Stones #23 up 27 from # 50 [21st Top 40 Hit]

I SAW THE LIGHT - Todd Rundgren #31 up 25 from #56 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE - Love Unlimited #36 up 5 from #41 [*first time artist]
    SYLVIA'S MOTHER - Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show #37 up 7 from # 44 [*first time artist]
    DIARY - Bread -#40 up 11 from # 51 - [8th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

{new: songs Top 10 bound will be coded in green, songs bound for #1 will be coded in purple}
    Red: indicates a Motown Release
    Orange: indicates a release related to Motown , by proxy.

12 new records , many by major names, but not their most notables.
    Highest debut:
    #67 - SONG SUNG BLUE - Neil Diamond

#72 - SOMEDAY NEVER COMES - Credence Clearwater Revival
    #77 - AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes
    #80 - ROCKET MAN - Elton John
    #82 - HOT 'N HASTY - Humble pie
    #83 - LIFE & BREADTH - Climax
    #87 - I CAN'T TURN YOU LOOSE - Edgar Winter and White Trash
    #90 - IMMIGRATION MAN - Graham Nash & David Crosby
    #94 - WOMAN'S GOTTA HAVE IT - Bobby Womack
    #97 - AN AMERICAN TRILOGY - Elvis Presley
    #98 - I GOT SOME HELP I DON'T NEED - B. B. King
    #100 - THERE IT IS - James Brown

Motown:
    1st Week:- AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #77 - DEBUT
    5th Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - #63 down 2 from #61
    6th Week: - ^WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#53 up 4 from #59

drop offs:
    4th Week: - TAOS NEW MEXICO - R. Dean Taylor - off from #83
    Of Toronto Canada origins, this is Taylor's last appearance on the Hot 100. He'll be a Motown one-hit wonder with INDIANA WANTS ME peaking at #2 in 1970. R. Dean's writing credits include shared billing on The Supremes #1 hit, LOVE CHILD from 1968.

A very good week for:

SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS [of the night]
    while Aretha is DAY DREAMING at #5, it is week 16 [night 112] for the War single and it is still battling its way up the chart, up two more this week to #20 with a bullet. Meanwhile three records have 'NIGHT' in their titles, two are from Motown: [LAST NIGHT] I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL - by the Fifth Dimension is at #28 moving up 8 from #36, with Gladys Knight and the Pips' cover of the Kris Kristofferson song HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT [former #1 for three weeks on the country chart by Sammi Smith] is at #33, #13 peak Soul and Top 10 peak UK:

and Jr. Walker's WALK IN THE NIGHT - at #53, #10 peak Soul , and #16 peak UK:

Coincidentally both these titles were arranged by H.B. Barnum, who is now becoming more involved at Motown after much work at Invictus/Hot Wax.
    A suitable follow-up from the Top 40 might be
    MORNING HAS BROKEN by Cat Stevens #19 up 2 from #21.

MGM Records has a full page ad this week that reads:
    MGM
    WELCOMES
    PETULA CLARK WITH HER SINGLE OF
    "MY GUY" K14392

WATCH for PETULA CLARK on the JOHNNY CARSON SHOW,
    MONDAY night, MAY 8th, Singing her new single " MY GUY."
    Petula Clark makes her label debut with a remake of the Smokey Robinson written hit for Mary Wells which went to #1 on the Hot 100 eight years prior in 1964, making Wells Motown's first successful female act .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-30-2022 at 04:58 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #20

May 13, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 104
    [Last week: 116]

Including:
    Michael Jackson - I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE

The Supremes are Motown's bright spot on the Hot 100 this week, their summery song, AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE, moves up 12 places in its second chart week. Meanwhile, The J5's LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE is pretty much the only single happening for the label on the Top 40, it now breaks the Top 20 something few Motown records have been able to do as of late. No new records from the label and with one dropping off, Motown has five Hot 100 charters this week.

The Top 10:

Clint Eastwood spotted it, and now the song he wanted featured in his directorial debuting film, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, about a radio DJ, Roberta Flack's THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, is in its fifth week at #1.
    A big entry into the Top 10 this week: The Chi-Lites OH GIRL bolts to #3 from #11, tying their last hit HAVE YOU SEEN HER's peak position, and placing them just under Joe Tex at #2 with I GOTCHA. Eying the #1 position for a second week, Tex's still hoping Roberta Flack will give it here. Michael Jackson is holding rank in the Top 5 at #5 with ROCKIN' ROBIN. The only new Top Tenner is OH GIRL and out goes Jackson Brown's only Top 10 single for the next ten years: DOCTOR MY EYES now at #14 after peaking at #8.

Top 40:

Motown:
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson, still hot, #5 down just 1 from #4.
    ^ LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE
    - Jackson Five #17 up 9 from #26
    HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips make it through another Top 40 week: #38 down 5 from #33.
    no drop offs from Motown

Biggest mover on the chart, 17 spaces:
    SYLVIA'S MOTHER - Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show - #20 from #37

Light week, five new entries 4 US, 1 UK
    Highest Debut:
    IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME - Carpenters #34 up 9 from #43 [7th Top 40 hit]

SONG SUNG BLUE
    - Neil Diamond - #35 up 32 from #67 [18th Top 40 hit]
    ASK ME WHAT YOU WANT - Millie Jackson #36 up 8 from #44 [* first time artist]
    ISN'T LIFE STRANGE
    - Moody Blues #39 up 8 from #47 [5th Top 40 hit]
    OUTA- SPACE - Billy Preston #40 up 17 from #57 [* first time artist]

The Hot 100:
    Light week, eight entries, low rungers, none from Motown:

Highest Debut:
    #71- TROGLODYTE [CAVE MAN]- Jimmy Castor Bunch

#90 - GIVING UP - Donny Hathaway
    #92 - LAYLA - Derek & The Dominos
    #93 - DON'T WANT TO SAY GOODBYE - Raspberries
    #95 - KATE - Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Three
    #97 - JUST AS LONG AS YOU NEED ME - The Independents
    #99 - ME AND JESUS - Tom T. Hall
    #100 - AIN'T THAT LOVING YOU [FOR MORE REASONS THAN ONE] - Isaac Hayes and David Porter

Motown:
    No Debuts

2nd Week: - ^AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #65 up 12 from #77
    7th Week: - ^WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker #49 up 4 from #53
    drop offs:
    6th Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - off from #63

Rare Earth's success with reinventing past hits, falls short this time out as the vigorous rock redoing of the Ray Charles soul anthem maxes out at #63 after five weeks of charting. Ray Charles would close out each of his concerts through his career with his self written/composed WHAT'D I SAY from 1959 [#6 Hot 100, #1 R&B].

A very good week for :
    Resurrected b-sides .
    Don McLean is at #12 this week with his split single, VINCENT and CASTLES IN THE AIR , a Glen Campbell/John Denver sounding piece, which was Don's first single released under his name in 1970; it did not chart Hot 100 [#40 Adult Contemporary.]

And Billy Preston breaks into the Top 40 this week with a surprise hit, the instrumental tune that was the B-side to his modestly charting [#77 Hot 100, no Soul placement] premiere release, I WROTE A SIMPLE SONG issued in December 1971. How the B-side has found its way back all these months later is not clear, and I WROTE A SIMPLE SONG remains the release's flip side. [more concerning OUTA-SPACE in the future]

Not a b-side but also resurrected:
    Eric Clapton's [aka Derek & The Dominoes] LAYLA charted in 1971 peaking at #51. It's back entering at #92, now pressed as a 45 in its full seven minutes version.

Jerry Lee Lewis exits the Hot 100 this week after 10 weeks with his cover of The Big Boppers' [Jiles Richardson] 1958 hit, CHANTILLY LACE [#6 Hot 100]. The song had turned the radio DJ into a star and he had joined a Buddy Holly [and others] tour the winter following the single's success. Their plane crashed and their deaths, along with Ritchie Valens, became the day the music died in Don McLean's AMERICAN PIE.
    Lewis was close to a second Top 40 hit in a row, last year his version of ME AND BOBBY McGEE charted there. CHANTILLY LACE peaked at #43 and was #1 on the Country chart for three weeks. The song was released as a Motown 45 in 1967 with a version by Shorty Long. This week the UK takes to the Jerry Lee Lewis version. It enters their chart at #44:

Billboard article:

Motown Producers to Ember
    LONDON-
    Former
    Motown producer Micky Stevenson has been signed by Ember Records managing director Jeffrey Kruger as producer and artist for all territories outside of domestic U.S.
    Stevenson's first single for Ember will be chosen from either
    "Here I Am" or "Joe Poor Loves Daphne Elizabeth Rich" and will be released in the UK in a couple of weeks' time.
    [HERE I AM was chosen]

Full page ad from Motown :

Stevie Wonder's
    hit on a new woman.

"Super
    Woman"
    a new smash single out of a different kind of album.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-10-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #21

May 20, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 85
    [Last week: 104]

including:
    WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks

Release of the big guns: Both Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder debut on the Hot 100 this week. Meanwhile Michael Jackson retains a Top 10 spot for Motown while he and his brothers continue moving up in that direction although the momentum of LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE lessons this round. Two debut singles and one drops off, Motown is represented with six records this week.

The Top 10:

Sixth week for Roberta Flack's THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, making it the biggest hit this year so far, not bad for a song that had been relegated to be a forgotten LP cut from a couple years back.
    Joe Tex loses his grip, I GOTCHA goes from #2 to #4 letting OH GIRL by The Chi-lites advance to #2 with I'LL TAKE YOU THERE from The Staple Singers right behind.
    All top seven songs are Soul hits. Continuing at #5 , up 2, is Al Green's LOOK WHAT YOU DONE FOR ME. #6 is Michael Jackson's ROCKIN' ROBIN and #7 is The Stylistics' BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW. Two songs join in: TUMBLING DICE by The Rolling Stones is #8 from #11 and at #10 from #15 is Cat Steven's MORNING HAS BROKEN. Two out: DAY DREAMING by Aretha Franklin is #11 from #8 and dropping to #20 from #10, is A HORSE WITH NO NAME by America. May as well fill in the missing charter: it's BACK OFF BOOGALOO from Ringo Starr a second week at #9.

Top 40:

Motown:
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson, holding fast, #6 down just 1 from #5.
    ^ LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE
    - Jackson Five #15 with a bullet, up 2 from #17

one drop off from Motown [see below]

Biggest mover on the chart, three way tie , each moving up eight:
    CANDY MAN by Sammy Davis Junior #13 from #21, NICE TO BE WITH YOU by Gallery #21 from #29, and SONG SUNG BLUE #27 from #35.

This might be the weakest entry week ever for the Top 40. Just three new songs break with only modest advances to reach the bottom three rungs of the chart. All by three artists making their final appearances, two US , one Canadian:
    Highest debut:
    LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER [SPEAK SOFTLY LOVE] - Andy Williams - #38 up 3 from #41 [27th and final Top 40 hit]

OLD MAN
    - Neil Young #39 up 8 from #47 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]
    SOMEDAY NEVER COMES - CCR #40 up 3 from #43 [14th and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:
    Fifteen songs , mostly lackluster, two top ten bound[barely]
    Highest debut:
    #59 - AMAZING GRACE -Royal Scots Dragon Guards

#62 - I NEED YOU - America
    #63 - HOW CAN I BE SURE - David Cassidy
    #64 - YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye
    #75 - LIVING IN A HOUSE DIVIDED - Cher
    #76 - WOMAN IS THE **** OF THE WORLD - John Lennon Yoko Ono
    #78 - YOU SAID A BAD WORD - Joe Tex
    #81 - POWDER BLUE MERCEDES QUEEN - Raiders
    #84 - SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder
    #89 - FRANCENE - ZZTop
    #90 - DAY BY DAY - Godspell
    #93 - AFTER MIDNIGHT - JJ Cale
    #97 - I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU - Jerry Butler
    #99 - BRING IT ON HOME AND GIVE IT TO ME - Hot Sauce [sic]
    #100 - GUNS GUNS GUNS - Guess Who

Motown:
    Two Debuts
    1st week: YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye - #64 DEBUT
    1st week: SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder - #84 DEBUT

3rd Week: - ^AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #53 up 12 from #65
    8th Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker #49 repeat of last week

drop offs:
    9th week: HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips - off from #38.
    Sammi Smith became a one hit wonder with her 1970 version of this Kris Kristofferson tune taking it to #8 Hot 100 #3 Easy Listening and #1 Country for three weeks. The Gladys Knight version has peaked at #33 Hot 100, #13 Soul and Top Ten UK. The Pips will return at the end of the year and introduce their winning relationship with musician Jim Weatherly.

A very good week for:
    Music from The Godfather

It might be entering only at #38 but this week that's all it takes to be this week's highest Top 40 entry. THE GODFATHER is the hit movie of the season, and hopes are high that the music from it will be as hit making. Three versions of its theme dot the Hot 100 , only Andy's seems to have legs. At #85 this week is Al Martino, and #65 is the original instrumental by composer Nino Rota [Romeo & Julet]. While the music seems tailor made for the Italian gangster movie , it is actually adapted from music Rota had scored back in the fifties, thus making it not qualified for Oscar consideration.

Also a very good week for saying it three times and rhyming to boot:

RUN RUN RUN by Jo Jo Gunne #23
    and GUNS GUNS GUNS by the Guess Who #100

Entering at #99 a vocal group from Detroit, two boys and a girl, lead by Rhonda Washington, Chuck Berry's niece calling themselves Hot Sauce. Their song BRING IT HOME [AND GIVE IT TO ME] recorded at the Pac -Three Studios in Detroit , and released on Volt/Stax :

Several singles were released but the troubled Stax label never put together an album for the group at the time .

Also from Detroit, scratchin' the Soul chart at #42 from #45 in its second week is FEEL THE NEED by Damon Shawn. It'll disappear , but the track will get a vocal replacement by the Detroit Emeralds in a few months becoming retitled FEEL THE NEED IN ME and will do much better , particularly in the UK.
    The song will be largely the same, but extended to seven minutes for a 12" version in 1977, becoming a disco hit reaching #14 on that chart.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-13-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #22

May 27, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 92
    [Last week: 85]
    Including:
    Undisputed Truth - PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE 3:25

Michael dives out of the Top 10 in a big way this week, 20 places down for his ROCKIN' ROBIN, from #6 to #26. Never mind though. He also has the highest debuting single on the Hot 100 coming in at #59. His family's group inches up again this week from #15 to #13 with a bullet. That's about it for Top 40 action this week, with The Supremes, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder all closing in. No drop offs and one debut gives Motown 7 charting records on the Hot 100.

The Top Ten:

Roberta Flack finishes her long run at #1 with THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, after six weeks, she slips to #3. OH GIRL by Chicago's Chi-lites becomes #1 from #2 while the Staples Singers Muscle Shoal's recorded I'LL TAKE YOU THERE presses forward from #3 to #2. Joe Tex' I GOTCHA still in the Top Ten at #8 while being a member of the four month club, 17th week on the Hot 100. Three new songs join the Top Ten: To #5 with a big jump from #13 enters CANDY MAN by Sammy Davis Junior, a big come back for him following a failed stint at Motwn for a couple of years. This is Sammy's first return to the Top 10 in awhile. The last time was with SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE in 1954.
    Meanwhile two newbies break into the Top 10 their first time out: Dr. Hook's plead to SYLVIA'S MOTHER, #9 from #14, and Commander Cody's wild ride in his HOT ROD LINCOLN, #10 from #12.

The Top 40:
    ^ LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five #13 with a bullet, up 2 from #15
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson plunges, #26 down 20 from #6.

Biggest mover within the chart, 12 places
    IT’S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME - Carpenters #17 from #29
    Quite a range in this week's six newbies, from a cave man to a rocket man 4 USA 2 UK
    TROGLODYTE [CAVE MAN]- Jimmy Castor Bunch #29 up 17 from # 46 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    AMAZING GRACE - Royal Scots Dragon Guards #31 up 28 from #59 [One Hit Wonder]
    LEAN ON ME - Bill Withers #36 up 6 from #42 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    I NEED YOU - America- #38 up 24 from# 62 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    I'VE BEEN LONELY FOR SO LONG - Frederick Knight- # 39 up 4 from # 43 [One Hit Wonder]
    ROCKET MAN - Elton John - #40 up 10 from # 50 [4th op 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Thirteen new singles , an overall under par collective for so many titles. Motown leads the pack.
    Highest Debut:
    #59 - I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson

#73 - TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW - Cornelius Bros and Sister Rose
    # 76 - IT DOESN'T MATTER - Steven Stills
    #82 - THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WHOLE USA - Donna Fargo
    #84 - CONQUISTADOR - Procol Harum
    #91 - VICTIM OF A BROKEN HEART - Bettye Swan
    #92 - BABY LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS - Detroit Emeralds
    #93 - FUNK FACTORY - Wilson Pickett
    #94 - IN A BROKEN DREAM - Python Lee Jackson
    #96 - BEAUTIFUL - Gordon Lightfoot
    #97 - GONE - Joey Heatherton
    #99 - PASS THE PEAS - JB's
    #100 - I THANK YOU - Donny Hathaway and June Conquest

Motown:
    One Debut:
    1st week: I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson #59 DEBUT
    2nd week: ^YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye - #53 up 11 from #64
    2nd week: ^SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder - #64 p 20 from #84
    4th Week: - ^AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #43 up 10 from #53
    9th Week: - ^WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker #47 up 2 from #49

A very good week for:

Donny Hathaway.
    Not only is his good friend and working partner Roberta Flack coming off the biggest record of the year thus far while also having the nation's #1 LP with FIRST TAKE, Hathaway is also doing well chart-wise with two titles on the Hot 100. Donny debuts with a duet at #100 with I THANK YOU while he's also charting with a solo release called GIVING UP at #88. It's the Soul LP chart though where it is his most very good week. There Roberta Flack is #1 while Donny's LIVE LP is #6 and the pair's duet album enters the Top 10 at #8.
    To top it all off, Billboard highlights a pick single by the two of them, titled WHERE IS THE LOVE.

Roberta Flack's THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE was first imagined by folk specialist, Ewan MaColly, who wrote it for his much younger love interest in 1957. The song was recorded numerous times through the sixties and became embraced by Roberta Flack as a regular part of her performances. She had become a local favorite in the Washington DC music circuit, becoming a resident performer with her own showcase room in Mr Henry’s restaurant. Her reputation grew and in 1969, the well-seasoned artist pumped out her debut album on Aretha’s shared label, Atlantic, in just hours over a two day period featuring her familiar repertoire. Her producer Joel Dorn, urged her to speed up her long running version of THE FIRST TIME, but she resisted and he shrugged, “OK, you don’t care if it’s a hit or not”.

Artists tap into the supply of potential renewable hits that lay in wait in the files of Jobette, some hoping to break out as stars in their own right by doing so. This week it's Esther Phillips turn try to reignite with a Janis Joplin-esque rendition of the Marvin Gaye written and produced BABY I'M FOR REAL for The Originals which went to #14 Hot 100, #1 Soul in 1969.

ESTHER
    PHILLIPS - Baby, I'm For Real [4:201][prod:Creed Taylor]
    [writers:GayeGaye] [Jobette,BMI)

Billboard lists BABY I’M FOR REAL as a recommended release, we’ll see how it plays out.

From the SOUL SAUCE column:
    In answer to the many questions regarding Cindy Birdsong's replacement, while Cindy takes a turn at being a housewife and an expecting mother, she is Lynda Lawrence of Philadelphia. She
    has been singing since she was four years old, plays the piano, flute, organ, drums and violin. She worked with Stevie Wonder for two years as a background singer. Linda not only sings background butis an excellent lead singer. She proved it by receiving rave reviews when she subbed for Jean Terrell during a Hawaii engagement.
    More questions.? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Rumors are circulating and with three of the sixties Supremes now having vacated with only one from then remaining, could this affect the support of their currently charting single?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-19-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #23

June 3, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 124
    [Last week: 92]

including:
    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - TEAR IT DOWN [sic] - [2:54]

The Supremes join the Jackson Five as the two Motown representatives on the Top 40. Neither are ablaze, LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE repeats its position from last week and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE limps into the Top 40 at #40 without a bullet.
    Michael has a rare one-two punch on the charts, two songs by him meet in the middle as one goes up and one goes down, ROCKIN' ROBIN is #48 and I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE is #49. There are seven Motown titles again on the Hot 100, again none ablaze with Stevie Wonder the most hopeful moving up five places with SUPERWOMAN, but its still not into the top half of the chart in its third week.

The Top 10:

OH GIRL, get out of the way, the Staple Singers have that top spot, resulting in a new #1 again this week with I'LL TAKE YOU THERE. After one week at #1, the Chi-Lites move down one to #2 with Roberta Flack holding at #3. One new song breeches the Top Ten, saying to the rest, IT'S SO NICE TO BE WITH YOU, from Gallery, the project of former Motown musician Dennis Coffey at #8 from #11 bumping out Joe Tex's I GOTCHA from that spot down to #20.

The Top 40:

LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five #13 again this week
    ^ AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #40 DEBUT
    off:
    ROCKIN' ROBIN
    - Michael Jackson #26 off to #48 after 11 weeks on top 40

Biggest mover within the chart: tie with 11 notches:
    OUTA-SPACE - Billy Preston to #17 from #28
    I NEED YOU - America - to #27 from #38

Another low profile week, just three new entries, none headed for the Top 20. All from the US despite one title .
    Highest debut:
    LIVING IN A HOUSE DIVIDED - Cher #37 up 17 from #54 [8th solo Top 40 hit]

LONG-HAIRED LOVER FROM LIVERPOOL
    - Little Jimmy Osmond #39 up 2 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]
    AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes #40 up 3 from #43 [6th post-Ross, non-shared Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine new ones, The Eagles premiere, Alice Cooper has his [their] biggest hit, Daniel Boone enters with an already international hit [#1 South Africa this week], & a rare two-sided entry.
    Highest Debut:
    #64 - IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT -Luther Ingram

#74 - PEOPLE MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND - Stylistics
    #75 - ALL THE KINGS HORSES - Aretha Franklin
    #79 - TAKE IT EASY - Eagles
    #88 - SCHOOL'S OUT - Alice Cooper
    #90 - WERE ON OUR WAY - Chris Hodges
    #97 - GETTING IT ON/RIDE SALLY RIDE - Dennis Coffey Motown musician/Funk Bro.
    #99 - VANILLA OLAY - Jackie DeShannon
    #100 - BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY - Daniel Boone

Motown:
    No Debuts:
    2nd week: - ^I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson - #49 up 10 from #59
    3rd week: - ^YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye - #50 up 3 from #53
    3rd week: - ^SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder - #59 up 5 from #64

10th week: - ^WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker - #46 up 1 from #47
    12th week: - ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson - #48 down 22 from #26

off: nothing from Motown

At times records seem to emerge from a vacuum with a new sound all their own [a recent example would be JUNGLE FEVER]. Even the most unique, when researched will often prove to have influences from other artists' works. Case in point this week's #1 record I'LL TAKE YOU THERE by the Staple Singers with its call and response guitar/piano/horn & harmonica driven groove and an intro that demands the immediate attention of the listener. Despite its fresh sound, the basis of I'LL TAKE YOU THERE is from a reggae song from three years earlier by The Harry J All Stars called THE LIQUIDATOR [which is based heavily on an even earlier reggae hit called GIRL I'VE GOT A DATE by Alton Ellis]

While Mavis calls out to the players to play their piano and for 'daddy' to play on his guitar, The Staple Singers are not performing instruments on this cut as implied. That is done entirely by the musicians of the white in-house band of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Alabama where the recording took place.

A very good week for
    Stax Records:
    Four songs on the Hot 100, one is the highest debuter on the chart at #64 by Luther Ingram. Another is moving up the Top 40 at #32 with a bullet by Frederick Knight, and another is this weeks top single by The Staple Singers. Isaac Hayes with David Porter round it out at #86. Outperforming Motown's chart action this week, not bad for a label that is going under.

Not a very good week for:
    Marvin Gaye
    Just three weeks on and his latest release is peaking at #50

Motown is not supportive of Gaye's latest single, a bongo-ing ambiguous beef aimed at those running for president in this year 1972. Marvin wants a stated plan [if you the man, what's the plan?] and high amongst Gaye's concerns: high taxes, a notion he already referenced in INNER CITY BLUES.
    The failure of this record leaves Marvin a troubled man, he withdraws his current album project altogether that YOU'RE THE MAN is intended for, it gets buried [a decision OK'd by a none-too-bothered Berry Gordy] and isn't released within Gaye's lifetime.
    If one didn't buy the single, this cut would become unavailable for decades.

This is the full version combining the singles' Parts I and II:

The Bohannon sounding teaser of an intro for YOU'RE THE MAN is due to the record's featuring of Bohannon's band, including Ray Parker on the wah-wah. Bohannon will have his own album by the end of the year debuting his distinctive stye.

Troubles for The Supremes continue as well:

SAN FRANCISCO

Shari Wallis at the Venetian Room of the Fairmont Hotel in
    place of the Supremes who cancelled due
    to illness

The intro paragraph for the Soul Sauce column by Julian Coleman:

Michael Jackson, Motown recording star, has been signed by film producer Mort Briskin to sing "Ben's Song," the title tune in Bing Crosby Productions' feature "Ben." Motown will release the song written by Walter Scharf and Don Black in June to break with the film's national release
    The 45's release is held back until July.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-27-2022 at 01:26 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #24

June 10, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 68
    last week: 124

Michael Jackson is right back on the Top 40 after falling off last week. Stevie Wonder is not far behind as he gets a good boost of 12 points to land at #47. The Supremes cling to their Top 40 ranking spending their second week again at #40. The J5 have peaked with LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE spending the last 2 weeks at #13, now suffer a significant drop. Jr. Walker is closing in on 3 months on the Hot 100 with his latest holding at #46. That's a good run, makes one wonder how WALK IN THE NIGHT would've done had Motown worked it a little harder. Two new singles premiere, one drops off, so this week's Motown total count is an impressive eight charters.

The Top 10:

Sammy Davis Jr. takes the Staple Singers out of there, his CANDY MAN, a song lifted from the WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY movie, replaces their #1 song after one week of its championing. Three songs are added to the highest rung, Neil Diamond's self-written SONG SUNG BLUE paves the way entering at #4 from #12. Billy Preston's self-composed OUTA-SPACE comes in at space #9 from #17, and The Fifth Dimension are back in the Top 10 for the sixth time, entering one up to #10 with [LAST NIGHT] I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL, a song that British writer Tony Macaulay wrote for The Carpenters, who turned it down because of its sleeping pill lyric.
    3 out: Rolling Stones tumble to #11 from #7 with TUMBLING DICE, Al Green's LOOK WHAT YOU DONE FOR ME to #17 from #10 and Commander Cody's HOT ROD LINCOLN shifts to reverse, dropping to#18 from #9 its peak. .

The Top 40:

LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five - #21 an eight place sink from #13
    ^I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson enters at #38.
    AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #40 repeat position

Biggest mover within the chart: Nine places
    ROCKET MAN - Elton John #23 from #32.

Yet another lackluster set of under a handful of arrivals, four new ones on the lower rungs with #35 being the highest, all US , one a dark horse:
    HOW CAN I BE SURE - David Cassidy - #35 up 8 from #43 [3rd Top 40 hit in a row]

DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST - Wayne Newton #35 up 8 from #43 [3rd Top 40 Hit]
    IMMIGRATION MAN - Graham Nash and David Crosby #37 up 4 from#41 [One Hit Wonder this combo]
    I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson - #38 up 11 from #49 [3rd Top 40 Hit in a row]

The Hot 100:

12 tunes premiere, two from Motown two proxy.
    Highest Debut:
    #68 - WHERE IS THE LOVE - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

#72 - TOO YOUNG - Donny Osmond
    #73 - SEALED WITH A KISS - Bobby Vinton
    #76 - PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - Undisputed Truth
    #80 - COCONUT - Nillson
    #88 - NOBODY BUT YOU - Kenny Loggins with Jim Messina
    #89 - BED AND BOARD - Barbara Mason
    #90 - RIP OFF - Laura Lee HDH label artist
    #91 - EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks
    #93 - I DONT NEED NO DOCTOR - New Riders Of The Purple Sage
    #95 - BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard
    #100 - MY GUY - Petula Clark - remake of #1 hit for Mary Wells in 1964

Motown:
    2 Debuts:
    1st week: PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - #76 DEBUT
    1st week: EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks - #91 DEBUT

2nd week: - ^I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson - #49 up 10 from #59
    4th week: - YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye -#53 down 3 from #50
    4th week: - ^SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder - #47 up 12 from #59
    11th week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker - #46 a repeat of last week
    13th week: - ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson - off from #48
    Off:
    Michael takes his remake of the 1956 Bobby Day hit to #2 [as did Day] and #1 on the Cashbox chart. It was produced by Mel Larson and Jerry Marcellino, 70s mainstays at Motown, especially with the Jackson Five. LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE is theirs too.
    In 1969 the duo had a go at it on their own with BITTERSWEET:

A very good week for:
    'older' men
    at least in pop music years. The #1 and #2 positions on the Hot 100 feature men over the hit hill: Sammy Davis Jr. was born in 1925 making him 47 and Pops Staples was born in 1914 making him 58 as they lead all the rest from the very top.
    Stax executive and part owner of the label, Al Bell wrote I'LL TAKE YOU THERE and was a driving force for Stax artists' successes in the 70's including Isaac Hayes seen introducing the Staple Singers here:

A decade later Bell will become Motown's president helping Berry Gordy transfer his mighty empire into the hands of MCA.

Motown in Billboard:
    Something different in concerts, which could become a new outlet for soul and rock groups will take place when the Commodores, Mowest recording artists, perform in concert aboard the Ile de France
    as the French Line steamer sails for Europe. The Commodores, who were the featured act with the Jackson 5 last year, may also do some
    showcase shows in London or Paris and possibly will stay on the Riviera for concerts.

LOS ANGELES:
    ... Smokey Robinson making
    his last L.A. appearance with Miracles at The Forum June 17. Billing
    will also feature The Honey Cone and special guest Al Green.

NEW YORK
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles will give their farewell New
    York concert at Madison Square Garden on June 23. On the bill
    with the group will be the Four Tops, Junior Walker and the All-Stars and LaBelle,

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-02-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #25

June 17, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 96
    last week: 68

Michael Jackson. That's this week's Motown status in a nutshell, eight songs total on the Hot 100, three of them on the Top 40, but only MJ's I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE has a bullet, no other charters have the momentum in their positioning to warrant one. There are no drops offs and no debuting hopefuls from the label.

The Top 10:

How sweet it is, for Sammy Davis Jr. to have the nation's #1 song again this week with THE CANDY MAN. This is now Davis' most successful single from his decades of output, and a giant boost to his career. Not bad for a song Sammy wasn't too keen on doing, too saccharin if you will. I'LL TAKE YOU THERE by The Staple Singers holds at #2 and SONG SUNG BLUE by Neil Diamond inches upward one spot to #3.
    Two strong entries. Up from #13 to #7 is The Jimmy Castor Bunch and their novelty TROGLODYTE, and with a ten point jump from #20 Bill Withers enters at #10 with LEAN ON ME. Two then are out: Cat Steven's MORNING HAS BROKEN now beyond repair, dips to # 13 from #8 and its peak of #6, and Roberta Flack's FIRST TIME in the Top 10 ends will a polite nudge to #11 from #7 and will not be her last.

The Top 40
    :

LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five - #39 down 18 from #21
    ^I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson builds 5 to #33 from #38.
    ^AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #37 up 3 from #40.

Biggest mover within the chart: {tie} ten places:
    LEAN ON ME - Bill Withers #10 from #20
    DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST - Wayne Newton #26 from #36

Five new singles, all with momentum, all contenders, three American, one Dutch, one UK/USA blend.

Highest debut:
    TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW - Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose
    #23 up 19 from #42 [2nd Top 40 hit]

LAYLA - Derek and The Dominoes #32 up 12 from #44 [One Hit Wonder as this group]
    HOW DO YOU DO - Mouth and MacNeal #34 up 16 from #50 [One Hit Wonder]
    TOO YOUNG - Donny Osmond #35 up 37 from #72 [5th Top 40 hit]
    ALL THE KING'S HORSES - Aretha Franklin #40 up 9 from #49 [27th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Light week , no heavy hitters [except Paul McCartney] with new songs and nothing Motown related. Nine titles, none instant hits, all enter on third tier [below #66]:

#68 - BRANDY YOU'RE A FINE GIRL - Looking Glass
    #81 - RUNWAY - Grass Roots
    #82 - HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent
    #83 - I'M COMING HOME - Stories
    #85 - MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB - Wings
    #88 - ALONE AGAIN NATURALLY - Gilbert O'Sullivan
    #89 - MEN OF LEARNING - Vigrass and Osborne
    #90 - BROWN EYED GIRL - El Chicano
    #100 - CATS EYE IN THE WINDOW - Tommy James

Motown:
    no debuts

2nd week: - ^PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - #73 up 3 from#76
    2nd week: - EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks - #91 again
    5th week: - YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye -#63 down 10 from #53
    5th week: - ^SUPERWOMAN - Stevie Wonder - #45 up 2 from #47
    12th week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker - #66 down 20 from #46

off: none

A very good week for:
    Mike Curb's MGM Records:

Their gamble with Sammy Davis Jr pays off big with his first release on the label, THE CANDY MAN, with Mike Curb's Congregation backing him. The Osmond family continues to pay big dividends. It's taken just two weeks for Donny to enter back into the Top 40 with his latest, a remake of Nat King Cole's 1951 smash TOO YOUNG, while his too young littlest brother [the youngest Osmond at age 9] hovers again on the Top 40 at #38 with LONG HAIRED LOVER FROM LIVERPOOL. The Osmond's mother spotted the song and Mike Curb agreed to produce it, it'll reach the UK later this year and be massive. If only there were a sister for them to market ...
    ....Anthony Newly who wrote THE CANDY MAN with Leslie Bricusse was furious with the resulting version heard on the soundtrack. He rightfully felt there was a hit song being lost there.
    Aubry Woods, the candy store owner in the movie and ST:

Also hoping for renewed success, is Curb's attempt to revitalize Petula Clark's career on MGM. Petula's charting on the Hot 100, but so far with a bit of a struggle. Clark's no stranger to chart status, her big run in the sixties began in 1965 when DOWNTOWN unexpectedly went #1 in most countries and for 2 weeks in the US. She was 33 at the time and already a celebrated performer for a decade in France and the UK. After DOWNTOWN hit, Petula [a stage name chosen by her Dad] charted 15 tunes in a row on the Billboard Top 40 during a three year run.

MY GUY moves up one in its second week, from #100 to #99. It's a remake of Mary Wells biggest single, #1 in the summer of 1964, and Well's final solo release for the Motown label before she moved on seeking greener pastures.

Motown this week in Billboard;

Soul Sauce column's lead paragraph:
    Motown's famed Temptations, who have been reeling off a steady parade of recording hits for more than a decade, are on the airwaves with a new single called "Mother Nature." The Temptations are currently on a cross-country tour, which includes seven dates with their sister group, the Supremes
    Wild chart action:
    Last week in its fifth week on the Hot 100, Eric Clapton's LAYLA was at #54. This week Billboard has added its previous weeks from its previous chart run in 1971 and LAYLA enters the Top 40 on its 16th week!

Noteworthy:
    Both the competitive Paul McCartney and John Lennon are on the Hot 100, both with duds.

Trivia Question:
    In 1982 Sammy Davis Jr. will chart his last Billboard placement with SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE .......on which chart??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-12-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #26

June 23, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 77
    last week: 96

including:
    Temptations - FUNKY MUSIC SHO 'NUFF TURNS ME ON/ MOTHER NATURE [2:57]2:59]
    David Ruffin - A LITTLE MORE TRUST [2:59]

Despite plenty of Motown representation on the charts, including some of their biggest names, except for the release from one member of the Jackson Five, little else from the label is gripping. Stevie Wonder breaks into the Top 40 with SUPERWOMAN with a bullet, joining Michael so two songs from Motown are on the Top 40, both heading upward, as The Supremes drop off. Three Motown songs drift away, while two pop on. Currently, seven Motown songs throughout the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Pinch him he must be dreaming: Third week at #1 for Sammy Davis Jr. and his THE CANDY MAN which this week also hits its 16th week on the chart making it a member of the limited 4 month club, and a very long haul for this single to peak out at the top. Also within the Top Ten and still climbing, another four month club member, Gallery's NICE TO BE WITH YOU, up one to #4 in its 17th Hot 100 week. Neil Diamond is also up one to #2 with SONG SUNG BLUE, and hot behind him, Billy Preston with OUTA-SPACE from #6 to #3. Giant leap into the Top 10 by The Cornelius Bros with their Sister Rose with their self-penned TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW. Out: Doctor Hook and SYLVIA'S MOTHER dip to #11 from #9, after a #5 peak.

The Top 40
    :

^I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE
    - Michael Jackson climbs 6 to #27 from #33.
    ^SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] - Stevie Wonder #38 up 7 from #45
    off:
    AUTOMAT
    ICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #48 down 11 from #37
    off:
    LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five - off from #39
    After a peak of #13 and eight weeks on the Top 40, PRETTY ONE drops off the Top 40 and the Hot 100. It's the first single from the J5's sixth LP, LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS; the title cut, will arrive to the charts next.

Biggest mover within the chart: again this week: eleven places
    DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST - Wayne Newton zooms to #15 from #26

Seven songs break entry, one from Motown one from the UK the rest from the US
    Highest Debut:
    IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG [I DON'T WANT TO DO RIGHT] - Luther Ingram #19 up 22 from #41 [*1st Top 40 hit]

WHERE IS THE LOVE - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway#33 up 24 from #57 [2nd Top 40 hit as a duo]
    CONQUISTADOR - Procol Harum #34 up 8 from #42 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]
    TAKE IT EASY - Eagles #35 up 11 from #46 [1st time artist]
    DAY BY DAY - Godspell #37 up 7 from #44 [Off Broadway Cast/ *One Hit Wonder]
    SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] - Stevie Wonder #38 up 8 from #45 [22nd Top 40 hit]
    SCHOOL'S OUT - Alice Cooper 40 up 13 from 53 [2nd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eleven records debut, all third tier [below #66], two from Motown, one proxy

Highest Debut:
    #74 - HONKY TONK [Part One] - James Brown

#75 - LONG COOL WOMAN - Holllies
    #81 - SWEET INSPIRATION/WHERE YOU LEAD - Barbara Streisand [recorded as an album cut by The Supremes and Temptations in 1968]
    #86 - IN THE GHETTO - Candi Staton
    #88 - WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    #93 - IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE - Courtship
    #95 - SMALL BEGINNINGS - Flash
    #96 - TELL ME THIS IS A DREAM - Delfonics [written by member Will Hart RIP 7/14/2022]
    #98 - VAYA CON DIOS - Dawn Featuring Tony Orlando
    #99 - I AM WOMAN - Helen Reddy
    #100 - HUSHABY - Robert John
    Motown:
    two debuts
    1st week: - WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #88 DEBUT
    1st week: - IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE - Courtship #93 DEBUT
    3rd week: - ^PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - #67 up 6 from #73
    3rd week: - ^EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks - #84 up 7 from #91
    6th week: - YOU'RE THE MAN Part I - Marvin Gaye -off from #63
    13th week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -off from #66
    Off:
    A #7 Soul hit, YOU'RE THE MAN peaked at #50 on The Hot 100 taking the steam out of Marvin's intended current LP project. He'll move to Hollywood and focus instead on scoring a Motown movie called TROUBLE MAN, the title track will return Gaye to these charts by year's end.
    Off:
    - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker, peaking at #46 this'll be Walker's last chance and he was so close at returning to the Top 40 as he had twelve times before. The Marvin Gaye flavored tune is considered an instrumental while female vocals can be heard throughout.... as usual the Andantes are hard at work but without credit. Five more singles will chart modestly for Jr. on the Soul chart but its with a WALK IN THE NIGHT that Walker permanently walks off the Hot 100.

Black artists are finding an alternate route to the Hot 100's highest spots besides Soul chart support. Roberta Flack's FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE was #1 on the Easy Listening chart before reaching #1 on the Hot 100 peaking at #4 on the Soul chart. Likewise Sammy Davis has already peaked at #1 on the Easy Listening chart paving his path to #1 on the Hot 100. THE CANDY MAN is not charting at all on the Soul chart. Similarly The Fifth Dimension are at #8 again, and have reached the Top 40's Top 10 via the Easy Listening chart route where LAST NIGHT [I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL] reached #2, compared to the #28 peak on the Soul chart. WHERE IS THE LOVE by Flack and Hathaway is already #13 on the Adult Contemporary chart its third week there.

As mentioned last week, song composer Anthony Newley was disappointed with the version of CANDY MAN that materialized on the WILLIE WONKA soundtrack, which he felt would prevent the song from being the hit he felt it to be. He tried to get the performance replaced, including offering himself at no charge but this was declined. Newley recorded a version for MGM records more to his thinking and the song eventually found its way at the label to Sammy Davis Jr. for his debut LP. [MGM had nothing to do with the CHOCOLATE FACTORY movie]

A very good week for:
    Sammy Davis Jr.

Stax artist Frederick Knight is inching up the Top 40, #30 from #31 with his only appearance on it with I'VE BEEN LONELY FOR SO LONG largely written by his wife Posie. It'll peak at #27 and #8 Soul.

Knight will not chart Hot 100 as an artist again and after Stax soon folds he will begin his own label Juana. Knight reappears to the Hot 100/Top 40 in an unexpected role: as the producer/writer of Anita Ward's disco smash RING MY BELL. It will go to #1 disco, soul, and Hot 100 and in the UK. Frederick wrote it for Stacy Lattisaw meant as a phone call scenario between teenagers. Lattisaw meantime signed with a different label and he went to plan B .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-19-2022 at 01:53 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #27

July 1, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 110
    last week: 99 [according to Billboard]

Eight Motown records are charting, one additional than last week and by heavy-hitters The Temptations. Only one is a bulleting hit, Michael Jackson's I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE and it leads the pack at #21. Stevie Wonder is still in the Top 40 but just barely repeating at #38. Eddie Kendricks' latest remains much lower and is also flat, while The Supremes cling to Hot 100 positioning out of the Top 40 for a second week. A new Motown act, Courtship, slips in only their second week.

The Top 10:

Seemed destined to get there, in a nine week surge on the Hot 100, Neil Diamond returns to #1 with SONG SUNG BLUE , his first time was in 1970 with CRACKLIN' ROSIE . It's the third recent #1 that also tops the Easy Listening chart, where SONG SUNG BLUE is in its fourth week at #1 [ for 7 weeks total]. Sammy Davis Jr. steps down just one notch to #2 with THE CANDY MAN, holding Billy Preston at #3 again with OUTA-SPACE, which this week is #1 on the Soul chart. TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW, by the Cornelius Bros. is the biggest advancer from #10 to #5 and there are three strong records breaking in: Elton John's ROCKET MAN blasts in at #8 from #14, America's I NEED YOU is at #9 from #13, and Wayne Newton is now in the Top 10 for the first time in his career with DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST at #10 from #15. 3 out: Former #1, I'LL TAKE YOU THERE, by The Staples to #12 from #5, The Fifth Dimension's LAST NIGHT I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL #13 from #8 and the Chi-lites' OH GIRL , also a former #1, dips from #9 to #15

The Top 40
    :

- Michael Jackson repeats a climb of 6 to #21 from #27.
    SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] - Stevie Wonder stalls at #38.

Biggest mover within the chart: a whopping seventeen places
    SCHOOLS OUT - Alice Cooper from #40 to #23.

Just three new records gain entry , two from the US , one UK
    Highest debt:
    BRANDY [YOU'RE A FINE GIRL]
    -Looking Glass #27 up 18 from #45 [*First Time Artist]

ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY] - Gilbert O'Sullivan #34 up 25 from #59 [*First Time Artist]
    PEOPLE MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND - Stylistics #39 up 4 from #43 [[4th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

11 entries, one from Motown one proxy

Highest Debut:
    2nd Tier:
    #60 - YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM - Jim Croce

3rd Tier:
    #76 - HOLD HER TIGHT - Osmonds
    #77 - BABY DON'T GET HOOKED ON ME - Mac Davis
    #80 - I MISS YOU - Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes
    #81 - WAR SONG - Neil Young & Graham Nash
    #87 - POP THAT THANG - Isley Bros. past Motown act
    #88 - GO ALL THE WAY - Raspberries
    #92 - DELTA DAWN - Tanya Tucker
    #93 - MOTHER NATURE - Temptations
    #94 - IF I WERE A CARPENTER - Bob Seger
    #95 - BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO - Partridge Family
    #100 - STARMAN - David Bowie

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: MOTHER NATURE - Temptations #93 DEBUT

2nd week: - ^WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #71 up 17 from #88
    2nd week: - IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE - Courtship #97 down 4 from #93
    4th week: - ^PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - #63 up 4 from #67
    4th week: - ^EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks -#84 repeat at #84
    8th week: - AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - #52 down 4 from #48
    no drop offs:

A very good week for:
    AMAZING GRACE:

The centuries old hymn is having a resurgence, an instrumental version of bagpipes by The Royal Scot Dragoon Guards is just shy of the Top 10, peaking this week at #11.
    Meanwhile, a full page ad this week in support of Aretha Franklin's gospel based live 4-sided LP out of LA, featuring an eleven minute version of AMAZING GRACE and is the LP's title. The LP is already #26 on Billboard's Top 200 LPs and will reach #7 [#2 R&B]. It's Aretha's second live LP within about a year , and her last one for another fifteen.
    No condensed 45 will be issued. However soon a Motown cover from the concert will chart.

The Bagpipe version will top the UK chart for six weeks. Meanwhile the version it is based on, Judy Collin's 1969 a cappella take, is on the UK chart too, as it does eight separate times, peaking one time at #5.

More bagpipes with a vocal in a later rendition:

from this week's Soul Sauce column by Julian Coleman:

Comedian Flip Wilson will be special guest host at the opening
    of The Supremes and The Temptations at The Grove, Los Angeles,July 5. This engagement will mark the first Los Angeles appearance of new Supremes member Lynda Laurence, who has replaced Cindy Birdsong

BEST NEW ALBUM OF THE WEEK "SYREETA" [[MOWEST)
    Motown pays for a front page square ad for Eddie Kendricks featuring a photo of his face captioned with:

Eddie Kendricks Hits With Second Album. Tamla's Eddie Ken-
    dricks is making a big chart rush. His second album release
    "People ...Hold On" is on the move, as is his new single
    "Eddie's Love" out of that same album. Eddie's style and
    subject
    matter is making his sound the sound of the people.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-26-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #28

July 8, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 84
    last week: 110
    including:
    Jackson Five - LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDOWS [3:33]
    Jr. Walker & The All Stars - GROOVE THANG [3:38]
    also recommended:
    Blinky - MONEY THAT'S WHAT I WANT [2:59]

Same two Motown songs in the Top 40 this week, both moving up. Michael Jackson's I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE crosses above the Top 20 line and Stevie Wonder's SUPERWOMAN advances a tad. No debuts while two drop off with six remaining contenders on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Hard to sing a song blue that reaches #1, even if but for a week, as has Neil Diamond's latest , which now dips to #3 with OUTA-SPACE by Billy Preston moving up one to #2 and Bill Withers' LEAN ON ME leaping from #4 into the #1 spot. One new Top Tenner : IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT by Luther Ingram enters at #10 as Gallery's NICE TO BE WITH YOU bows out to #11 from #7 both records supplying their artists their one time Top Ten visit.

The Top 40
    :

- Michael Jackson now in the Top 20 to #18 with a bullet up 3 from #21 .
    ^SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] - Stevie Wonder stalled last week , now advances slightly to #37 up 1 from #38.

Biggest mover within the chart: 15 notches - from #27 to #12
    BRANDY [YOU' RE A FINE GIRL] - Looking Glass

color code addition:
    titles coded with a brown + will go Top 10

Seven new records gain entry, four from the US, three of the UK
    Highest debut:
    LONG COOL WOMAN
    IN A BLACK DRESS + Hollies - #33 up 17 from#50 [9th Top 40 Hit]

+COCONUT
    + - Nillson #34 up 10 from #44 [6th Top 40 Hit]
    THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WHOLE USA - Donna Fargo #35 up 11 from #46 [* First Time Artist]
    SEALED WITH A KISS
    - Bobby Vinton #36 up 13 from #49 [28th Top 40 Hit]
    MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB/LITTLE WOMAN LOVE - Wings #38 up 5 from #43 [2nd Top 40 Hit]
    HOLD HER TIGHT - Osmonds - #39 up 37 from #76 [5h Top 40 Hit]
    +HOLD YOUR HEAD UP + - Argent #40 up 16 from #56 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

color code change:
    titles coded with green will go Top 40 [in the past indicating Top10].

Highest Debut:
    2nd tier:
    #57 -I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU - Al Green
    3rd Tier:
    #74 -DUNCAN - Paul Simon
    #83 - STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN - Mel And Tim
    #89 - *HOT BUTTER - Popcorn*
    #90 - A SIMPLE MAN - Lobo
    #92 - * ZING WENT THE STRINGS OF MY HEART - The Trammps*
    #94 - POWER OF LOVE - Joe Simon
    #98 - THAT'S THE WAY GOD PLANNED IT - Billy Preston
    #99 - WHEN YOU SAY LOVE - Sonny & Cher
    #100 - COUNTRY WOMAN - Magic Lantern
    Motown:
    no debuts:

2nd week: MOTHER NATURE - Temptations #93 repeat position
    3rd week: - ^WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #59 up 12 from #71
    3rd week: - IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE - The Courtship off from #97
    5th week: - PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - #68 down 5 from #63
    5th week: - ^EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks -#77 up 7 from #84
    9th week: - AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - Supremes - off from #52

two drop offs:
    from the same stable that delivered a #2 song for a Temptations/Supremes pairing with I'M GONNA MAKE YO LOVE ME, Jerry Ross now employs Philly's rising production star Thom Bell for a one-time venture at Motown for The Courtship, who courted the Hot 100 with IT'S THE SAME OLD LOVE for three weeks before now vanishing into obscurity.

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE drops off into the sunset after 9 weeks on the Hot 100 and a brief 3 week stint on the Top 40's lowest rungs [#37 peak.] The tune highlights Supremes statesman Mary Wilson with a rare lead split with Jean Terrell. Also heard for a final time is Cindy Birdsong and as usual, The Andantes. That's it from the Smokey Robinson maestroed project. Two singles from FLOY JOY, both Top Tenners in the UK, now on to other ventures for the ensemble.

A very good week for:
    Helen Reddy
    [although she doesn't know it]
    Week 3 on the Hot 100 for Reddy with I AM WOMAN and the song is moving up just one place from #98 to #97. Next week it falls off the chart altogher. Helen has no way of knowing that this little gliche will do an about face and will reenter to become a #1 record. But that's not all this week. Helen also doesn't realize there's another #1 song ahead for her that's also on the chart this week. Entering at #92 is Tanya Tucker with her country hit DELTA DAWN.

At age 13, Tanya Tucker is an anomaly amongst the mature acts on the country chart. Her label CBS, not sure how someone her age would be received, especially with the song about a troubled older woman, has left this detail out in her biography. Her version of the Bette Midler recorded song enters the country Top Ten this week and Tanya's career is on the way , and soon she'll be hitting #1 repeatedly on that chart.

Also a very good week for :
    nursery rhymes
    Paul McCartney enters the Top 40 with MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB and Aretha Franklin moves up to #23 with her nod to Humpty Dumpty with ALL THE KING'S HORSES.

Motown in Billboard's Soul Sauce :

The First Lady of Motown and one of showdom's most electrify-
    ing performers, Diana Ross, captivated and thrilled first-nighters in
    her premiere appearance at Caesars Palace, her first Vegas engage-
    ment in more than a year.
    The Dorothy Norwood Singers will perform with the Rolling
    Stones and Stevie Wonder on the southern part of the Stones current
    concert tour. The gospel singers join in early July. ...
    Thelma Huston,
    Mo-West recording star, appears at the Hong Kong Bar of the Century
    Plaza Hotel, starting July 10.

significant proto disco record*
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-09-2022 at 01:40 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #29

July 15, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 103
    last week: 84

also recommended :
    GERALDINE HUNT- Baby, I Need Your Loving [3:51]

Two Motown songs are in the Top 40, neither with bullets. Six songs total on the Hot 100, one is new, the J5 again, while one has dropped off after a weak run.

The Top 10:

The only song in the Top 10 repeating its position from last week is LEAN ON ME by Bill Withers, number one again for week two. All the rest shift with The Cornelius Bros. IT'S TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW rising to #2. Billy Preston's OUTA-SPACE ran out of space at #2 , just shy of #1, and is now #3. Three new records in the top 10. BRANDY by Looking Glass comes in at #4 from #12. A huge jump for Gilbert O Sullivan's ALONE AGAIN NATURALLY from #20 to #8. Also jumping big to #10 from #18 is WHERE IS THE LOVE by the duo of Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway. Three in, these three now way out: Sammy Davis Jr.'s THE CANDY MAN dives to #17 from #5, The Castor Bunch's TROGLODYTE to #18 from #6, and America's I NEED YOU to #20 from #9.

The Top 40
    :

- Michael Jackson advances to #16 with no bullet up 2 from #18 .
    ^SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] Stevie Wonder #35 up 2 from #37 also no bullet.

Biggest mover within the chart: 13 places
    HOLD HER TIGHT -Osmonds #24 from #39

Highly unusual: just three new songs, one coming on strong and aiming for the top, two are mild one hit wonders. All American.
    color code addition:
    titles coded with a brown + will go Top 10
    +I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU+ Al Green -#30 up 27 from #57 [4th consecutive Top 40 hit]
    GONE - Joey Heatherton - #37 up 9 from #46 [One Hit Wonder]
    CRAZY MAMA - Sailcat #39 up 8 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

color code change:
    titles coded with green will go Top 40 [in the past this indicated Top 10].

12 arrivals, one from Motown
    Highest Debut:
    3rd Tier:
    #68 -GOODBYE TO LOVE - Carpenters

#69 - HAPPY
    - Rolling Stones
    #81 - YOU'RE STILL A YOUNG MAN
    - Tower Of Power
    #83 - LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS
    - Jackson Five
    #88 - COLDEST DAYS IN MY LIFE - Chi-Lites
    #89 - ALABAMA WILD MAN - Jerry Reed
    #91 - PUT IT WHERE YOU WANT IT - Crusaders
    #93 - ROCK AND ROLL CRAZIES - Steven Stills and Manassas
    #94 - EVERYBODY PLAYS THE FOOL
    - Main Ingredient
    #97 - CIRCLES - New Seekers
    #98 - THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR - BJ Thomas
    #100 - DOWN ON ME - Janis Joplin

Motown:
    one debut:
    1st week: LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five #83 DEBUT

3rd week: - ^ MOTHER NATURE - Temptations #92 up 1 from #93
    4th week: - ^WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles#51 up 8 from #59
    5th week: - EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks -#77 second week
    6th week: - PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE - The Undisputed truth - off from #68 last week
    off:
    Norman Whitfield's ROLLING STONE sinks like a rock [peaks of #63 Hot 100 and #24 Soul] and he will have to allow this number to slip from the charts unceremoniously and its on to other titles. Three more singles from Undisputed Truth's LAW OF THE LAND LP are forthcoming.

A very good week for:
    Song titles with [secondary titles]

Two are in the Top 10:
    #5 - BRANDY [YOU'RE A FINE GIRL]
    #8 - ALONE AGAIN [NATURALLY]
    with three more in the Top 40:
    #18 - TROGLODYTE [CAVE MAN]
    #33 - [LAST NIGHT] I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL
    #
    35 - SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU]
    and one more in the Hot 100:
    #47 BABY LET ME TAKE YOU [IN MY ARMS]

Geraldine Hunt, raised in Chicago where her high school best friend was Minnie Ripperton, has been releasing singles since 1962 and this week she takes on the first Motown hit by The Four Tops:

Hunt will move to Montreal Canada by the mid-seventies and will tap into the lively disco scene there and finally hit in 1980:

During the same summer Diana Ross was at #1 on the disco chart for five weeks with UPSIDE DOWN /IM COMING OUT, CAN'T FAKE THE FEELING spent seven weeks at the top as well. With Chic-esque guitars and real strings, a disco feature quickly giving way to cheaper artificial sounds, CANT FAKE THE FEELING , in spite of rocking guitar licks, was too disco and wasn't welcomed by radio programmers, Top 40 or Soul. The Hot 100 will elude Hunt's tenor as a performer.

This week from Billboard's SOUL SAUCE:

Thelma Houston, MoWest recording artist, has been set for
    European trip beginning July 31. While in London, she will tape her
    own television special for the BBC which will be entitled "Sound
    For Saturday" and appear on The Top of The Pops and Lulu's
    television shows.....

....On June 17 Tito Jackson of the Jackson Five became the first
    member of the talented group to take the marriage vows
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-22-2022 at 10:58 AM.

It's a real pity that Kevin Kiley has been thrown off SD, he'd have contributed to many threads in the thoughtful & knowledgeable way he always did in the past.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #30

July 22, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 95
    Last week: 103
    >this week Billboard starts adding a bit of commentary within their 45 info.<

including:
    MICHAEL JACKSON - BEN [2:42)
    [prod: Corporation) [writers:Black-Scharf) [Jobete, ASCAP) MOR-Top
    40 ballad beauty. MOTOWN 1207

SUPREMES - YOUR WONDERFUL,
    SWEET, SWEET LOVE [[2:59)
    [prod: "Smokey") [[writer: Robinson) [Jobete, ASCAP) Rhythm ballad
    from "Floy Joy" LP. MOTOWN 1206

SYREETA - TO KNOW YOU IS TO LOVE YOU [3:44)
    [prod: Stevie Wonder) [writers: Wright-Wonder) [Stein & Van Stock/
    BlackBull, ASCAP) Potent rock ballad from debut. MOWEST 5021 [Motown)

FESTIVALS - GREEN GROW THE LILACS [2:45)
    [prod: Jerry Ross Prod.) [writer: Miller) [Stein & Van Stock,ASCAP)
    GORDY 7120 [Motown)

Motown has two medium hits stalling on the Top 40 with four other singles continuing on the Hot 100, only one suggesting enough strength to become Top 40. The J5 leap up 22 places to #61 with the title cut from their LOOKING THOUGH THE WINDOWS LP. No Motown songs drop off and no new ones enter. Six records total charting with four new ones being previewed.

The Top 10:
    Bill Withers holds The Cornelius Bros. at bay at #2 again while LEAN ON ME is #1 for a second week. The Top 10 is loaded with bulleted hits each advancing with strength enough to get to the top. Gilbert O'Sullivan's ALONE AGAIN NATURALLY moves up 5 to #3. Luther Ingram's IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG moves from #9 to #5 and is already in its second week at #1 on the Soul chart. If the Easy Listening chart is any indicator Roberta Flack's and Donnie Hathaway's WHERE IS THE LOVE is already #1 there. The European hit HOW DO YOU DO by Mouth and McNeal this week becomes a Top 10 hit in the US at #8 from #11, joining it is SCHOOL'S OUT by Detroit born Alice Cooper at #10 from #12. Off to make room, the high ranking OUTA-SPACE by Billy Preston to #14 from #3 and SONG SUNG BLUE by Neil Diamond to #15 from #4

The Top 40
    :

- Michael Jackson repeats at #16
    ^SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] Stevie Wonder #33 up 2 from #35 no bullet

I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU - Al Green #21 from #30

Light week again with four new entries, each of them US, two are strong movers
    Highest Debut:
    +YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM+ - Jim Croce #31 up 10 from #41 [* First time artist]

+GOODBYE TO LOVE+ -The Carpenters 38 up 30 from 68 [8th Top 40 Hit]
    THE RUNWAY - Grassroots 39 up 5 from 44 [14th and final Top 40 Hit]
    WE'RE FREE - Beverly Bremers - 40 up 3 from 43 [2nd and final Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Light week, 8 titles, no Motown
    third tier:
    highest debut:
    #70 - JOIN TOGETHER - Who - b-side: BABY DON'T YOU DO IT [LIVE][#27 HDH hit for Marvin Gaye '64]

#77 - BACKSTABBERS - O'Jays
    #84 - ROCK AND ROLL PART TWO - Gary Glitter
    #91 - BEAT MY DADDY EIGHT TO THE BAR - Commander Cody /Airmen
    #94 - GOODBYE AGAIN - John Denver
    #97 - I COULD NEVER BE HAPPY - Emotions
    #98 - TURN ON YOUR LOVELIGHT - Jerry Lee Lewis
    #100 - DOWN BY THE RIVER - Albert Hammond

Motown:
    no debuts:

2nd week: ^ LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five #61 up 22 from #83
    4th week: - ^ MOTHER NATURE - Temptations #92 up 1 from #93
    5th week: - ^WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #51 up 3 from #54
    6th week: - EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks -#78 down 1 from #77

no drop offs.

A very good week for:
    Song resurrections
    DADDY DONT YOU WALK SO FAST by Wayne Newton was originally a hit in Europe [#17 UK] and #1 in South Africa by Daniel Boone
    THE CANDY MAN by Sammy Davis Jr. was plucked from the WILLIE WONKA ST.
    IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DONT WANT TO BE RIGHT by Luther Ingram surfaced when Luther dug deep into the music files at STAX records and the unreleased song by The Emotions jumped out at him.
    OUTA-SPACE by Billy Preston was the B side to Billy Preston's debut 45 by Billy on A&M
    LAYLA by Eric Clapton The 7 minute LP version has been released in its entirety as a single after a shortened version failed.
    The Emotions version is apparently not on Youtube, another similar version also recorded at Stax at that time by Veda Brown is:

Daniel Boone hasn't time to worry about the injustice. He is on the Hot 100 with another song, BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY exactly halfway up the chart in its eighth week.

In SOUL SAUCE :

Motown Record Corp., after more than a decade with the suc-
    cessful Detroit soul sound, has also jumped into the rock market
    with a new label, Natural Resources. Tom Wilson, former sales v.p.
    for Record Plant studio, holds the reins as creative producer at the
    Hollywood studio. Wilson says the new label will feature "jazz rock"
    and new sounds.
    Some of the guests on hand for the Supremes-Temptations opening
    night at The Grove, LosAngeles, included: actress Gail Fisher, singers
    Gladys Knight & the Pips, Dee Dee Warwicke, and former Supremes
    member Diana Ross. Linda Laurance, the new member of the Su-
    premes, along with Damon Harris and Richard Street, newest mem-
    bers of the Temptations were superb, displaying all the assets which
    have made these two acts the best in the business. The Supremes &
    the Temptations are currently working on a TV special. It's the first
    time they've done so since Diana Ross left the trio.
    Motown on the UK chart:

In the Top 10 at #10 down from #7 - Michael Jackson's ROCKIN' ROBIN [#3 peak]
    entering at #35- AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - The Supremes
    #36 up 3 from #39 WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES - Gladys Knight/ Pips
    #38 up 10 from #48 - MY GUY - Mary Wells It'll peak at #14, [#5 in 1964]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-27-2022 at 03:14 AM.

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #31

July 29, 1972

Number of singles reviewed this week: 107
    Last week: 95

The Jackson Five surge 23 places into the Top 40 in their third week on the Hot 100 with LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS, their second Clifton Davis written hit. The Jackson franchise offers Motown's only representation with two placings on the Top 40 the other being Michael's I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE which slips to #24. Stevie Wonder loses his bottom rung grasp there, dropping 10 to just below the Top 40 [#43] in his 11th week with SUPERWOMAN. No new songs from Motown on the Hot 100, and The Temptations drop off, giving the label five records charting.

The Top 10:

After 3 weeks at #1, Bill Withers' LEAN ON ME, which features some of the earliest work by arriving superstar drummer James Gadson [including future songs at Motown like LOVE HANGOVER] , gives way to the pressure of several strong charters and tilts, falling an unusually high drop to #9 from #1. Naturally , ALONE AGAIN NATURALLY by Gilbert Sullivan is first in line to take LEAN ON ME 's place [from #3]. Just one new record comes into the Top 10 at #10, The Hollies' LONG COOL WOMAN IN A BLACK DRESS, with a strong surge from #18, blocking Eric Clapton's LAYLA which in its 23rd Hot 100 week, repeats just under the Top 10 at #11. Elton John's ROCKET MAN has lost its propulsion, peaking at #6 now dropping from #9 to #12.

The Top 40:

I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE - Michael Jackson, no longer where he was for two weeks, down 8 to #24 from #16
    ^^ LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five #38 from #61 DEBUT

Five new ones enter, two out of England, three USA, one from Detroit and one from Motown:
    Highest Debut:
    HAPPY - Rolling Stones #31 up 12 from #43 [22nd Top 40 hit]

BABY LET ME TAKE YOU IN MY ARMS
    - Detroit Emeralds #34 up 6 from #42 [2nd and final Top 40 Hit]
    BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO - Partridge Family #36 up 5 from #41 [6th Top 40 hit]
    SMALL BEGINNINGS - Flash #37 up 10 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]
    LOOKIN' THROUGH THE WINDOWS - Jackson Five #38 up 23 from #61 [Tenth Top 40 hit]

COCONUT - Nillson #15 from #24

The Hot 100:

Highest debut:
    2nd tier:
    #62 - THE GUITAR MAN - Bread
    3rd tier:
    #82 - EASY LIVIN' - Uriah Heap
    #83 - RUN TO ME - Bee Gees
    #86 - THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS - Arlo Gutherie
    #90- IN THE QUIET MORNING - Joan Baez
    #96 -COULDNT I JUST TELL YOU - Todd Rundgren
    #99 - GARDEN PARTY - Rick Nelson
    #100 - SITTIN' ON A TIME BOMB [WAITIN' FOR THE HURT TO COME] -Honey Cone on the HDH label Hot Wax

Motown:
    no debuts:

6th week: - ^WE'VE COME TOO FAR TO END IT NOW - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles #49 up 3 from #51
    7th week: - EDDIE'S LOVE - Eddie Kendricks -#78 again
    11th week: - SUPERWOMAN [WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU] #43 down 10 from #33

5th week: - MOTHER NATURE - Temptations off from #92
    off:
    Another 1972 entry from Motown's superstar producer Norman Whitfield fades after lackluster charting. The Temptations' MOTHER NATURE found some favor at soul stations along with the b-side FUNKY MUSIC SHO NUFF TURNS ME ON [already a soul hit by Edwin Starr ,#6, in 1971] where the double billing is still charting and moves up 1 this week to #28.

A clash of 'daddy values' are pitted side-by-side on the Top 5:
    At #4 is IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT by Luther Ingram
    and at #5 is DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST by Wayne Newton.

While Luther is at a loss as to if it's wrong for a married man with a wife and two little children dependent on him to be out screwing around, an awakened Wayne Newton stops himself in his tracks, asking why would I do this to my little girl ...

And just like that, long time music man Wes Farrell's newly formed Chelsea Records, in its first four months of existence, has a gold record.

Add to last week's list of resurrected hits : The Cornelius Bros. and Sister Rose's lushly string-sweetened IT'S TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW. The song has peaked at #2 for two weeks and was previously ignored when first released in 1970 by the tiny label Platinum.

Surprisingly the star power will be brief for the family act from Florida, surprising because both TREAT HER LIKE A LADY and TOO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW are stellar in-house compositions, suggesting their success had only just begun. They don't disappear from the charts, but they have peaked.

Not a very good week for:
    Female artists. Low ratio with
    most sharing the spotlight with male counterparts:
    In the Top 10, there's Sister Rose [with The Cornelius Bros] Roberta Flack [with Donny Hathaway], and [Maggy]McNeal with [Duyn] Mouth]
    At #30 is Karen Carpenter and her brother, and at #38 is Linda McCartney and her husband's band Wings.
    As for solo performing female artists currently on the Top 40 , there are three:
    Donna Fargo is the HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WHOLE USA, as she is the most popular female artist soloing this week at #19. Also Beverley Bremmers repeats at #40 while Joey Heatherton is at #29. [Of the ladies, Donna Fargo is also the sole solo writer of her charting hit.]

Motown in Billboard;
    The Jackson 5 drew an estimated 3,500 to Cincinnati Gardens
    Friday night [[14) in a performance marred somewhat by faulty sound
    equipment. Warm-up was supplied by Smiling Faces, rock trio.

excerpts:

SUPREMES
    TEMPTATIONS
    Grove, Los Angeles

This
    is a polished, slick, programmed program which scores on all counts. There is visual excitement as the five Tempts do their polished programmed slickly programmed movement steps to accentuate their music; the three Supremes have their own body English and gracious arm movements. There is flowing music involving delicate harmonies. The current Supremes [Lynda Lawrence, Jean Terrell and Mary
    Love) are a more open, individual act than in the past. There are
    more solo opportunities while their sound retains its harmonic strength.s and an
    appreciation for the lyrical content of the songs....Jean Terrell's solos are churchy gospelish and she fits the role formerly played by Diana Ross.
    Soul Sauce:

Did The Four Tops leave Motown Records
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-10-2022 at 10:52 AM.