[REMOVE ADS]

Cindy Birdsong Sings 1986

She was a classy professional from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    She was a classy professional from top to bottom.
    I thought she had a pretty good voice; I've probably heard her sing before but didn't remember.

This was surprising.

Did Cindy ever actually release any solo records? I have "Dancing Room" on a couple of FLO's CD's, but beyond that? Were there any actual releases? What about the song she sings in this video, "Ready For You"? Ever actually released? Are there unreleased tracks? An album???

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Did Cindy ever actually release any solo records? I have "Dancing Room" on a couple of FLO's CD's, but beyond that? Were there any actual releases? What about the song she sings in this video, "Ready For You"? Ever actually released? Are there unreleased tracks? An album???
    "Dancing Room" was an official Cindy Birdsong single release. I don't know about "Ready". I can't find any information on it, so I assume it went unreleased. Perhaps it was intended for single release and for whatever reason it never came out. As far as I know there's no Cindy album, but there might be a couple of unreleased tracks, in addition to "Ready".

Cindy really did have a very pretty voice that was vastly underused.

I think there was another song recorded around the same time "anatomy".

Cindy recorded four demos in 1986: Check It Out, Ready For You, Talk Is Cheap and Anatomy, which helped her get the recording deal for "Dancing Room" released in 1987. She also recorded her voice onto 3 70s Supremes backing tracks in 1978: High Energy, You Keep Me Moving' On and Til The Boat Sails Away. Her only other post-Supremes recording release was in 1987 where she joined John Kydd on his version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof" with Scherrie Lynda Sundray and Jayne Edwards

Was there ever talk of a solo deal for Cindy in 1978 when she overdubbed the Supremes tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Cindy recorded four demos in 1986: Check It Out, Ready For You, Talk Is Cheap and Anatomy, which helped her get the recording deal for "Dancing Room" released in 1987. She also recorded her voice onto 3 70s Supremes backing tracks in 1978: High Energy, You Keep Me Moving' On and Til The Boat Sails Away. Her only other post-Supremes recording release was in 1987 where she joined John Kydd on his version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof" with Scherrie Lynda Sundray and Jayne Edwards
    Speaking of John Kydd, does anyone know anything about him and what he's up to now? I think there was a thread about him a long time ago? I'm not sure that's his real name? I had that 12" record with a great pic of Scherrie, Cindy, John and Jayne Edwards on. Lynda [[and Sundray?) also sang on it but was not pictured.

John Kydd | rareandobscuremusic [[wordpress.com)
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-02-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Speaking of John Kydd, does anyone know anything about him and what he's up to now? I think there was a thread about him a long time ago? I'm not sure that's his real name? I had that 12" record with a great pic of Scherrie, Cindy, John and Jayne Edwards on. Lynda [[and Sundray?) also sang on it but was not pictured.

John Kydd | rareandobscuremusic [[wordpress.com)
    John Kydd = John Whyman.

I guess he was an A list fan in the Supremes circle, at one point working for Scherrie as an assistant. J Randy talks about him in his updated Diana book, but I can't remember the context. Something about meeting Berry and Diana in Vegas, I think.

I believe he and Cindy went to see Diana appearing in Vegas. Diana got mad when an employee tried to charge them for refreshments as they were guests of Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    First time I've seen the clip with the singing performance - she was GOOD much better on recreating the Supremes hits than other attempts I have heard and at last they were at a reasonable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    John Kydd = John Whyman.

I guess he was an A list fan in the Supremes circle, at one point working for Scherrie as an assistant. J Randy talks about him in his updated Diana book, but I can't remember the context. Something about meeting Berry and Diana in Vegas, I think.
    John is quoted quite a bit in CALL HER MISS ROSS.

Re Cindy, he wrote of an instance where Berry arranged for Cindy and John to attend one of Diana's Vegas shows from his usual booth at Caesar's. However, they didn't let Diana know they were coming beforehand and as a result, a bill for the evening [dinner, drinks, performance] was placed on their table. Both Cindy and John had no $ and wondered what they would do. John tried to explain the situation to one of the waiters while Diana watched the scene from the stage.

Later, when John and Cindy visited Diana in her dressing room, Diana asked for the bill and told an assistant to take care of it immediately, saying "Don't you know who this is? This is Miss Cindy Birdsong, a guest of mine. Her check should have never been put on that table."

Later, when Cindy had her solo opening in London, she somehow was stranded. She tried to enlist Diana's help but didn't have her current telephone #, and no one who had it would give it to her. John got in touch with Diana and explained Cindy's dilemma. Diana told him to find out how much $ Cindy needed and to get back to her. Cindy managed to get back to the US without Diana's help but this section ended with the note that Cindy knew that she could always count on Diana.
    Last edited by reese; 06-03-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Whyman is quoted quite a bit in CALL HER MISS ROSS.

Re Cindy, he wrote of an instance where Berry arranged for he and Cindy to attend one of Diana's Vegas shows from his usual booth at Caesar's. However, they didn't let Diana know they were coming beforehand and as a result, a bill for the evening [dinner, drinks, performance] were placed on their table. Both Cindy and John had no $ and wondered what they would do. John tried to explain the situation to one of the waiters while Diana watched the scene from the stage.

Later, when John and Cindy visited Diana in her dressing room, Diana asked for the bill and told an assistant to take care of it immediately, saying "Don't you know who this is? This is Miss Cindy Birdsong, a guest of mine. Her check should have never been put on that table."

Later, when Cindy had her solo opening in London, she somehow was stranded. She tried to enlist Diana's help but didn't have her current telephone #, and no one who had it would give it to her. Whyman got in touch with Diana and explained Cindy's dilemma. Diana told him to find out how much $ Cindy needed and to get back to her. Cindy managed to get back to the US without Diana's help but this section ended with the note that Cindy knew that she could always count on Diana.
    For all the horror stories that circulate about Diana, her generosity in always helping Cindy, a lady she only sang with for two and a half years over 50 years ago, speaks volumes of her true nature.

I realize that shit happens. I realize that, like all people, Cindy made good and bad decisions. But it irks the hell out of me to think about a former Supreme- especially one from the sixties- being stranded anywhere, or not having money to cover a food and drink bill, or one having to borrow money for a house, or one having to file for welfare. That all stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    For all the horror stories that circulate about Diana, her generosity in always helping Cindy, a lady she only sang with for two and a half years over 50 years ago, speaks volumes of her true nature.
    Her true nature being that of someone who is both generous and, at least in the past, a bit mean. Lol Two things can be true at the same time. It's unfortunate, though, that the stories of Diana's generosity aren't as well known as those of her exibiting poor behavior. Not only has she been documented helping her former singing partners [[except Barbara, I'm unaware if she and Diana ever had further contact after Barbara left the Supremes), but she has also come through for former Motown alumni. Mrs. Ross has been said to have been pretty free hearted in that way. I imagine that teaching stuck with her daughter. One more reason to love Diana Ross, for me anyway.

Every Supreme and 4 Top take a lead, even Cindy. This song is rarely mention when it comes to lead vocals by Cindy Birdsong https://youtu.be/Z71YFpyOTm0