[REMOVE ADS]

VA-"Northern Soul Anthems" [2LP Set] [Demon UK-6/24/2022]

Demon Music is proud to bring together a selection of popular and exciting classic Northern Soul Anthems on a new 2LP thirty-three track collection. These are the original recordings by some familiar names and one or two that may have passed you by.

As the Sixties came to a close and the initial success of labels like Atlantic and Motown began to wane, there remained a dedicated fanbase of Soul devotees who would rather be out on the floor than wearing flowers in their hair. They continued to seek out new and previously overlooked releases, many on small labels that had never enjoyed chart success, making surprise hits of a few in the process.

Northern Soul could easily have passed into music history as a fad, something on the fringes of mainstream popular music; instead its popularity has remained and even grown. It is no longer the preserve of venues in the north of England [who had always attracted coachloads of devotees from across the nation], with Soul clubs opening in Europe, Asia, Australia and even – in perhaps the ultimate example of “coals to Newcastle” – America.

Every few years Northern Soul enjoys a resurgence in popularity and welcomes a new generation of younger fans, keepers of the faith. This collection is for those with a passing interest and fans both old and new – music fashions may change but the quality, the infectious excitement and the urge to get up and dance has endured in these fantastic records.

LP1

1. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor
    2. The Show Stoppers - Ain't Nothin' But a House Party
    3. Richard Temple - That Beatin' Rhythm'
    4. Billy Butler & The Enchanters - The Right Track
    5. The Valentines - Breakaway
    6. The M.V.P.'s -Turnin' My Heartbeat Up
    7. Melba Moore - Magic Touch
    8. The Seven Souls - I Still Love You
    9. James Barnett - Keep On Talking
    10. The Olympics - Baby Do The Philly Dog
    11. The Hesitations - I'm Not Built That Way
    12. Eddie Parker - I'm Gone
    13. Mary Love - Lay This Burden Down
    14. Maxine Brown - It's Torture
    15. Kim Weston - Helpless
    16. Chairmen of the Board - Give Me Just a Little More Time
    17. Earl Van Dyke & The Motown Brass - 6 By 6

LP2-

1. Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long
    2. Eloise Laws - Love Factory
    3. Barbara Lynn - Movin’ On A Groove
    4. Tommie Young - Hit And Run Lover
    5. The Montclairs - Hung Up On Your Love
    6. Four Below Zero - My Baby's Got ESP
    7. Freda Payne - Band of Gold
    8. Just Brothers - Sliced Tomatoes
    9. Al Wilson - The Snake
    10. The Chandlers - Your Love Makes Me Lonely
    11. The Monitors - Crying In The Night
    12. Tommy Good - Baby I Miss You
    13. Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over
    14. Frances Nero - Keep On Lovin' Me
    15. Edwin Starr - Headline News
    16. Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over

Northern Soul Anthems [2 x 140g Black Vinyl] | Demon Music Group

Looks like a great collection. I mostly recognise the Motown [and Motown-related] tracks, as well as a couple of others.

June 21st:

On his Birthday, remembering Dave Godin [David Edward Godin; 1936-2004]; UK founder of the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society; journalist, compiler of records and CDs; world leading authority on soul music; popularised the terms 'Northern Soul' and 'Deep Soul' in the UK; founder of Soul City Records...

Excellent collection! It is worth the money for the Mary Love track alone, but there are plenty of other highlights as well. I guess I don't understand the idea of making something available on vinyl only since I had always thought that CDs were just as easy, if not more so, to manufacture.

If this had been made available as a CD, I might still buy it even though I already have the important tracks. So I am not "hugely" disappointed but will anyone support me if I report this to the ASPCCDB [[American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to CD Buyers)?

RE: James Barnett - Keep On Talking
    also done by Prince Phillip Mitchell & Dan Penn ...
    now covered by UK band TEXAS ...
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-21-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Brings back memories.

Popped into the Gramophone Record store on Polk St in SF as I did regularly where they had all the hottest 45s on display behind the long cashiers counter. But over amongst the LP binds, what's the interest going on there in this one half bin ? It's got dividers between ?? some 12" singles ??
    There they were, the first commercially available disco 12"ers. Probably a half dozen, no more than ten ....

This was one of them !

Patrick Adams had done a good study of the Philly sound on this , but being a proud New Yorker, he was about to come into his own ....

As Dave Godin gets a mention above, thought I'd highlight this track which was released in the UK on his Soul City label ...