[REMOVE ADS]

Question re Mary Wilson Anthology

Hi
    - sorry if this has been covered before, but, rather than trawl through all the old threads on this release, I wonder if one of you DRATs experts can give me the answer to a couple of questions regarding the four 'Mary Wilson & the Supremes' tracks from [[presumably) 1970 - 'son of a preacher man', 'witchi tai to', 'send him to me' and 'if you let me baby':-

Does the accompanying booklet [[or any other source) state [[a) what the recording dates were for these four, and [[b) who, if anyone, sang background vocals?

answers gratefully received

I assumed most of those tracks were recorded late in 1969, but I don't know if they were recorded as DRATS recordings, or as "New" Supremes recordings.

I would wager Diana is not on the background of any of these recordings, either way.

often with the books there just is info that is missing. perhaps it has been lost through the years with motown's move out west. maybe it was never properly completed to begin with so we don't have all of the details now

there were a couple of threads on this when the set was released.

George mentioned that M and C did the backing vocals for It You Let Me. there must be multiple lead vocal takes because he also mentioned that they double Mary's lead in some spots to sort of mimic the effect of the doubled Diana lead on Keep Me hanging on.

Brad also shares that it is M and C doing Witchi Tai To

Also FJ and AS are, obviously, much much longer than any version we've previously received. these are not "2022" versions when Andy or George repeated choruses or anything. George confirmed these are the full, unedited tracks as recorded in 71 and 72

Brad also shared that the 4 Mary tracks by Deke were done in the Diana era. i would guess early through mid 69. potentially some could have found their way onto Cream of the Crop. And I think If You Let Me could have worked on Right On. beyond that lp, i think they were too old to use

I was lucky enough to have those 4 tracks along with a few other Deke R unreleased songs played for me at Deke's house a good few years back - one of my most treasured Motown Memories

thanks for responses - am I right then in assuming that the CD booklet doesn't give recording dates [[I only have downloads, not a physical copy)? I assumed they must have been recorded/completed in 1970 simply because of the chronology of the cd - the four tracks in question follow on from two tracks recorded live on 13th January 1970 - or should I not read anything into that?

it seems the tracks were recorded and prepared as the group was entering its "farewell" period. maybe not literally with the Jan 14 1970 date. but the overall. Diana is definitely not on them at all. she's not doing backgrounds on them like she is on the 2 live tunes. So it would be that they're sort of a "transitional" period. kind of done in between and could have been used on Cream of the Crop or Right On.

and certainly Witchi Tai To was an experimental track which, to be honest, would never have been on a Sups album. it's too avant guarde for the Sups. but fun and an interesting inclusion

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic jacques View Post
    thanks for responses - am I right then in assuming that the CD booklet doesn't give recording dates [[I only have downloads, not a physical copy)? I assumed they must have been recorded/completed in 1970 simply because of the chronology of the cd - the four tracks in question follow on from two tracks recorded live on 13th January 1970 - or should I not read anything into that?
    Here's what my book says:
    'son of a preacher man' track cut jan 24, 1969, horns Jan 28, lead Sept 29, 1969, additional dates in 1970 unknown
    'witchi tai to' track cut jan 24, 1969, recut Jan 29, lead in LA, all other dates unknown
    'send him to me' recording dates unknown
    'if you let me baby'recording dates unknown

hope that helps.

it does - thanx, Thanx.

Someone here always has the answer! It's a great resource.