[REMOVE ADS]

Oma Heard "Paradise"

On time Motowner and Marvin's duettist with a song recorded later by The Supremes.

Great find, great voice, and great song. I can't pick a favorite version of this song. BUT ... this one absolutely is in the running. As much as I love the Spector version this less dense version is just wonderful.

Ya'll, do know that she is the one that MOTOWN sent out as a fake Mary Wells to some locations when they KNEW Mary just left the company. Mary did not know about this until she found out in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Ya'll, do know that she is the one that MOTOWN sent out as a fake Mary Wells to some locations when they KNEW Mary just left the company. Mary did not know about this until she found out in the 70's.
    WHAT?! Why am I just now hearing about this story?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    WHAT?! Why am I just now hearing about this story?
    It was my understanding that there were a few secondary markets in Canada near upstate Michigan where this took place for a promoter that had cancelled the whole Motortown Revue tour of Canada when he found out Mary would not be part of the tour in the summer of 1964.This was told by members of the Miracles & Contours to Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    It was my understanding that there were a few secondary markets in Canada near upstate Michigan where this took place for a promoter that had cancelled the whole Motortown Revue tour of Canada when he found out Mary would not be part of the tour in the summer of 1964.This was told by members of the Miracles & Contours to Mary.
    I wonder if the promoter even knew what Mary Wells looked like or if Motown just said that Oma was Mary. Any idea who else was on the tour?

as far as I know it was just Oma from a distance to the audience . I personally just heard it from Mary & a member of the Contours in the 1970's.

I think this was a fairly common occurrence in the early days. Multiple Ikettes were sent on tours, a replacement Tina was sent out a time or two, Bluebelles were subbed if there was a market ... Unfortunate but it is what it was!

back then ,besides the photos on the records, an occasional Bandstand appearance or Teen magazine, Rock & Soul artists did not get much media attention.That changed in the later 1/2 of 1964.