[REMOVE ADS]

Michael Jackson "Thriller [40th Anniversary Edition]" [Epic/Legacy-11/18/2022]

No description or pre-order information at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

No description or pre-order information at this time.
    No description required! Simply the best, next to "Off The Wall". Forget about The Eagles, Thriller's still selling...40 years later!!! Thanks, Q.

Despite everything... I would buy this if it's a decent package and on CD. That means for me, it must:

• include the full version of the Lady In My Life [with the verse that was chopped out]
    • include the full version of Carousel [rightly swapped for Human Nature but a great song in its own right]
    • have a good selection of the other tracks that were contenders [like 'Got The Hots' and 'Night Line']
    • NOT have any of that Black Eyed Peas-sing-over-a-song-that-doesn't-need-fixing garbage

Any AfroJack remixes or Justin Bieber duets and they can keep it.

If any new CDs are still being released as late as November of this year, that will be terrific. So I hope this one will be and that it will inspire many other such releases. I am just not ready yet to say goodbye to the format!

Info from the Michael Jackson Official Store says this will be a 2CD set with Thriller on Disc One with Thriller-era bonus material unreleased material [including previously unreleased demos].

It will be interesting to see how public interest in this release ends up. With all due respect to fans I will be very happy to pass on this one. For me the lp was played-out by overexposure decades ago. I still hope for an expanded edition of the first LaBelle lp.

And this piece from SecondDisc.com about the Thriller 40th Anniversary release:

No Mere Mortal Can Resist? Speculating on the 40th Anniversary Reissue of 'Thriller' - The Second Disc

I would like his original recording of "Behind The Mask," I hope it is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

$14. for a 2 CD set is relatively cheap. I would have expected it to be at least $25. Good value for your money.

I saw this announcement earlier today as well. Interesting. I may opt for the CD set, depending on what kind of new bonus content they include. Not a huge fan of that font they used for this new 40th anniversary cover. Looks a bit bootleg-ish. I was also curious about the audiophile vinyl release that they're putting out, but as much as I've loved collecting vinyl for the last 20+ years, I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel, as the prices of new vinyl releases have become insane. $14 for a 2 CD release is much more enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    Despite everything... I would buy this if it's a decent package and on CD. That means for me, it must:

• include the full version of the Lady In My Life [with the verse that was chopped out]
    • include the full version of Carousel [rightly swapped for Human Nature but a great song in its own right]
    • have a good selection of the other tracks that were contenders [like 'Got The Hots' and 'Night Line']
    • NOT have any of that Black Eyed Peas-sing-over-a-song-that-doesn't-need-fixing garbage

Any AfroJack remixes or Justin Bieber duets and they can keep it.
    Yeah, I hate when label do that to. Along with innumerable remixes and reimaginations. Ugh.

One exception: Maxwell's stamp on Man in the Mirror! Magnificent. [[Believe he performed it at the recent BBMA.)

...or was it "Lady in My Life?" Not sure now. Gotta take another look see...

Will gladly pick this one up. I'm hopeful that the unreleased stuff contains something I don't have, as I already have a bunch of the Thriller demos. But still, to have the demos cleaned up and mixed will be highly welcomed.

Michael's last good album, I really hope the estate does a good job with this one... Sgt Pepper and Thriller are probably the most overplayed album ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Michael's last good album, I really hope the estate does a good job with this one... Sgt Pepper and Thriller are probably the most overplayed album ever.
    I remember buying the Bad special edition in 2001. My copy of the album had long since been lost and never replaced, so I was excited to pick this one up. Yikes! It did not age well, and that was only 2001. I found it a mostly painful listen, so much so, that I gave it to a cousin who was still into Michael Jackson everything, a phase I had outgrown some years before. I'll have to check my collection, but I don't believe I ever replaced the Bad album in any format. At some point I'll rectify this, because the album was an important album from my childhood with many great memories attached, and it'll be interesting to find if my 2001 attitude toward the set has changed in a more positive direction. The truth is that the title cut, "Mirror", "Diana", "Another Part", "Make Me Feel", "Can't Stop" are all on their own great songs. Not sure what exactly put me off in 2001.

That being said, I have to vehemently disagree on Thriller being the last good album from MJ, as Dangerous is highly regarded by me. And Invincible was a pleasant surprise, as I thought MJ had found that certain something that made him so popular and likable again. I'd say song for song, Dangerous was as good as Thriller, and Thriller was as good as Off the Wall. Thriller just happened to come along at the exact right time- the popularity of the music video and the opportunity that it brought to innovate, i.e. the Thriller video- and elevated MJ to probably the biggest entertainer ever. That's why Thriller will always have the edge with me, despite OTW and Dangerous being equally as good.