[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye June 1st?

Does anyone know what this new release might be? Looks like another Teena Marie cd coming to hip-o as well.

RossHolloway Guest
    The 40th Anniversary Edition to What's Going On

But the What's Going On set is not a Hip-O release, so I don't think that's it. I think everyone's waiting for Trouble Man but from recent comments including the other night on Midnight Johnny's show, that's not coming out yet.

Hip-O has already done a live set on Marvin [[At the Copa). Perhaps it's reissues of a couple of his early LPs such as "Hello Broadway" and "Tribute to Nat King Cole." I always thought those albums were under rated and would love to see them together in a Hip-O package.

Or the "Together" with Mary Wells LP would be great, but I think the few unreleased tracks on them have already come out, and as I recall it was just a few. But if "Together" tied up the additional Mary Wells duets along with those of Marvin's with Oma Page [[or is it Oma Heard, I can never remember, sorry Oma!), it would make a great set as well.
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-27-2011 at 09:35 AM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Speaking of UNDERRATED, I think Marvin's duets with Oma Page are sensational. Hope there are more solo tracks by her in the vault.

http://www.soulmusic.com/magawhgoon4a.html

Scrolling down to the last question, Harry mentions the full Vulnerable sessions. Perhaps that is a project that he knew was near completion-

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    http://www.soulmusic.com/magawhgoon4a.html

Scrolling down to the last question, Harry mentions the full Vulnerable sessions. Perhaps that is a project that he knew was near completion-
    I thought the Vulnerable sessions had already been released. I think I have a CD which says it's complete, anyway. As I recall, it's less than a full LP, maybe 8 tracks. [[They might be part of a different CD, but I know it's not the "Lost and Found" set.) If there's more, that would sure be an interesting release as well. I love Marvin's ballads, even the early "Soulful Moods" has grown on me. Although he hadn't really found his voice yet, I have come to really like that LP.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I thought the Vulnerable sessions had already been released. I think I have a CD which says it's complete, anyway. As I recall, it's less than a full LP, maybe 8 tracks. [[They might be part of a different CD, but I know it's not the "Lost and Found" set.) If there's more, that would sure be an interesting release as well. I love Marvin's ballads, even the early "Soulful Moods" has grown on me. Although he hadn't really found his voice yet, I have come to really like that LP.
    I have the Vulnerable cd that was released a few years back, but haven't listened to it in years. I'm lost as to what the complete sessions consist of. From what I can tell the album of material that was released as Romantically Yours [[ released 1985 but the songs were recorded in 1966?) and Vulnerable are some of the same songs that Marvin reworked around 1978 but were not released at the time.

Perhaps that's what will be released- All versions from the various years [[1966, 1978, etc.). We would be given a glimpse into the way Marvin was viewing the ballad side of his music/style in the 60's and 70's.

It's interesting that the temporary blurb [[http://www.hip-oselect.com/) that Hip-O set up pictures Stevie Wonder making the announcement. Is this a hint of something else to come...???

RossHolloway Guest
    It's interesting that the temporary blurb [[http://www.hip-oselect.com/) that Hip-O set up pictures Stevie Wonder making the announcement. Is this a hint of something else to come...???
    Yea, that's what I thought too. Fingers crossed!

^ What, that Stevie has something to be released on HIP-O? I doubt it! LMAO!

It's probably a deluxe edition of "Vulnerable" with Marvin-composed tracks that were on "Romantically Yours". As far as I know the RY version of "Shadow of Your Smile" was the same one issued on "The Marvin Gaye Collection" so they may add that. Marvin also did "Just Like", "Walking in the Rain" and the like during the "Vulnerable" sessions.

Well, the site's back up a day early I guess, so I searched but couldn't find anything coming out on Marvin Gaye. But I did find...Dean Martin. Dean Martin??? Yes, that Dean Martin.

http://hip-oselect.com/scr.public.pr...2-95890EEA7BB2

I actually really like Dean Martin and the other Rat Packers, but this seems to be an odd choice for a Hip-O release. It doesn't appear to be anything but his usual Greatest Hits reassembled. Their other releases in this genre, such as Ella or Lena Horne, were rare tracks. And only 28 tracks across 2 CDs? I guess they're promoting it as a Father's Day gift package. Wow, seems really odd to me, anyway.

I guess the MPG release will be announced tomorrow.
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-31-2011 at 06:29 PM.

It's the hardcover book that is part of the set that they seem to be touting moreso than the 2 cd set.

It's the hardcover book that is part of the set that they seem to be touting moreso than the 2 cd set.
    It seems an odd area for Hip-O to venture into and kind of a waste, considering how much this sort of material is available elsewhere and how rare it is to find companies do what they are really good at.
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-31-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Why 2cd's surely 28 tracks would fit on one cd, although the price tags not excessive it's exorbitant!

I just pre ordered the 40th Edition from ImportCD.com , for $40 USD.

Originally Posted by kenneth

There are tracks from the Vulnerable sessions on the Marvin Gaye Collection Box set released in 1990 ,that are COMPLETELY different from the CBS release of VULNERABLE ,and IMO superior to the CBS release. Those tracks bring tears to your eyes from the rawness and intensity of them. A true look at Marvins devlopment of his multi track vocals that would inspire the ORIGINALS ,"BELLS" ,BABY I'M FOR REAL and The Miracles ,"I Love You Secretly" and WGO and the albums after. It's mind blowing to play the CBS release tracks sync'ed with the 90's released tracks at the same time. A "Complete VULNERABLE" release would have to include both sets of recordings. With the M.G COLLECTION tracks long out of print included with the CBS released tracks included ,HARRY could sho nuff pull this off.