[REMOVE ADS]

This comes under the category of WTF.....

Nina bought a new Jeep Compass a couple of months ago. Today she discovered there was no spare tire. Further investigation would show most new cars no longer come with spare tires. It is now considered an accessory.
    WTF!! She was told the reason for this was to make the car lighter. WTF!!!WTF!!! Think I'll keep my older Ford a while longer.

I remember when a full-size spare tire became a donut spare and now no spare period. I bought my Kia new in 2013 and it didn't come with a spare even then. Also my Kia was one of the last years they included a CD player as standard. I'll keep it just for that as long as I can.

No spares. No lighters. I'm glad I don't smoke or get flats.

Spare tires are now on our waistlines instead of our trunks, Ralph! 'Ya get a bit of a seal 'n pump thing, if you are lucky. Did the dealer work in a 'market adjustment' as well? And ... just how did Nina make the discovery? I hope she didn't have a flat.

I removed the floor of the trunk for the first time to clean it.
    No spare -- just a Tire Service Kit to inflate a punctured tire.
    Upon further research and reading the specs inside of the driver's
    side door, I learned that my car does not come with a spare.

The phasing out of CD players concerns me more than the spare tire issue! I was lucky enough to still get one in my 2019 Subaru Legacy and I am now making plans to get a new Forester, which will also have one. At my age, I am hoping that will then be my last car and that the CD player will last as long as I do!

That sucks ralph, pretty soon new cars are gonna come to your door in parts that you'll have to assemble yourself,with no spare tire...this country is going to hell in a hand basket...thank god for you and soulful detroit, where we boomers can still get together and laugh to keep from cryin!!!

All three got the final answer wrong. Challenger #1 wagered $12,100 and ended with $1,200. Champ bet $8,601.

Logically, challenger #1 should have wagered only $4,701 because she could only win if the champ got the answer wrong, so all she needed to bet was enough to top his current total [$18,000]. Actually, she just needed enough to beat whatever he would have if he lost. I'm just shaking my head that she blew her opportunity by not considering the situation and wagering accordingly.

I have often wondered how long they have between Double and Final Jeopardy to study the situation and make their wagers.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I have often wondered how long they have between Double and Final Jeopardy to study the situation and make their wagers.
    It’s exactly the amount of time of the commercial break. [Full disclosure: I’ve never shared this on the Forum, but I was a contestant on the first Teen Tournament during the Alex era and later on a “Where Are They Now?” show in my 20s. Don’t ask how I did either time. 😜]
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-24-2022 at 07:02 AM.

Interesting!!! I would have guessed that there is "set up" time required between each portion of the game and that it likely takes at least an hour to tape a half hour show. I always assumed that there are bloopers galore since you are dealing with amateur contestants and that they most likely have to re-tape things. So if they really can do each show in roughly half an hour and just zip from one segment to another, then I am impressed!

Interesting!!! I would have guessed that there is "set up" time required between each portion of the game and that it likely takes at least an hour to tape a half hour show. I always assumed that there are bloopers galore since you are dealing with amateur contestants and that they most likely have to re-tape things. So if they really can do each show in roughly half an hour and just zip from one segment to another, then I am impressed!
    Yep, the shows are recorded in real time with exact 2-minute commercial breaks for the satellite feed [or at least they were in my day]. Bloopers are handled on the spot [or as soon as the judges/producers see fit] and were rare, in my experience.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-24-2022 at 10:10 AM.

I read an article online that said the shows take a bit longer now because it's the hosts who are "amateurs" and need to correct something.

The article mentioned that Alex was so experienced that he could do 5 shows and leave the studio by 5 PM on taping days.

It also mentioned that the amount of time between shows is just enough time for the host and winner to change outfits. I think there were 3 shows before lunch and 2 shows after lunch, or vice versa.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 05-24-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I read in an article online that the shows take a bit longer now because it's the hosts who are "amateurs" and need to correct something.

The article mentioned that Alex was so experienced that he could do 5 shows and leave the studio by 5 PM on taping days.

It also mentioned that the amount of time between shows is just enough time for the host and winner to change outfits. I think there were 3 shows before lunch and 2 shows after lunch, or vice versa.
    You are correct. Alex was the consummate professional. Interesting that the new hosts are having trouble finding their footing.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You are correct. Alex was the consummate professional. Interesting that the new hosts are having trouble finding their footing.
    I think most of the "bloopers" are mispronounced words.

I also saw a feature on TV about Alex and Jeopardy!, that mentioned he would get to the studio at dawn on taping days. He would review all the clues and use references to help with pronunciation or clarify a topic.

Recently, I saw a re-run episode of Classic Concentration which Alex also hosted. One of the contestants mentioned something, it might even have been a pronunciation of a word, to which Alex responded, "I learned something today!". I laughed and wondered if he ever used that bit of information.

The phasing out of CD players concerns me more than the spare tire issue! I was lucky enough to still get one in my 2019 Subaru Legacy and I am now making plans to get a new Forester, which will also have one. At my age, I am hoping that will then be my last car and that the CD player will last as long as I do!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  21.1 KB
    My current car [[2013 Nissan) has a mini-tire [[only good for emergencies). In 1980, when I bought my Subaru 4-Wheel Wagon, it had an undersized spare, too. I immediately went to a junkyard and bought an extra full-sized wheel, and bought an extra new full-sized tire to fit on it. Lucky for me, the back storage area' circular depression was a fair amount wider than the mini wheel and tire. So my full-sized spare just barely filled it completely, without sticking up higher than the flat bed, and so, didn't steal any of my storage space.

I'd have frozen to death some time in the 1980s or 1990s if I had just kept the undersized 50 mile max spare, after driving 275,000 miles in that car over a 30+ year period of winter vacations driving in the mountains of Canada and northern USA, and on cross-Canada trips. I still have my undersized spare in my Nissan; but, having spent most of each year away from L.A. [[where I store it), I was only driving about 1,500-2,500 miles per year [[before the pandemic). I've had it 10 years, and I just reached 20,000 miles. I only drove it about 150 miles this past year until my engine light was on [[due to an electric problem), and I had to reset the light's sensor and drive 100 miles to make sure it would re-set so I could pass the bloody smog test, or my pristine, almost brand-new engined car could still be given a new registration, and I wouldn't have to junk it.

It will surely be my last car. I don't need a car in The Netherlands, or Denmark or Germany, where I've gotten along fine without one for 50,34, and 39 years, respectively, with a good, strong bicycle in each port. I've had only 2 cars over the last 45 years. I put a good-quality CD player in both those cars. The kind that come from the auto factory are generally lousy quality [[going bad after just a handful of years), anyway, at least in the non-luxury cars I buy.