[REMOVE ADS]

Thank You Darling release date in Germany

Being curious about the chart history of Thank You Darling in Germany, I came across this site:

https://ki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg....eu_010665.html

It shows that the song reached no. 18 in June 1965, at the same time that SITNOL was at no. 3. Curiously, DFTMC states TYD was released in October ’65, with Moonlight & Kisses being released in May ’65. Also TYD was released in Belgium in May '65 with M&K released in October '65 in Belgium. As they performed TYD on German TV, aired on 5th April, ’65, it makes sense that this performance was just prior to its release rather than 7 months earlier. Nevertheless, the label no. for TYD is later in sequence than M&K. The booklets for Motown Around the World and for More Hits expanded cd’s have the same release dates as DFTMC. Can anyone clarify this conundrum?

Blue I can't answer your question, but I have to say the Supremes performing the song on TV is news to me, unless I've forgotten it. Is there footage of this floating around? I always cross my fingers that the English versions of "Thank You" and "Moonlight" will be discovered someday.

it could be that releases were different in different countries. there are a ton of randomly released albums and 45s around the world and the dates for those could be all over the place. I have a few of the weird and interesting Taiwan releases for a few of the albums. the covers have funny, odd cut out pictures of the group. so things can get murky as we dig into the international activities. certainly EMI would have had a release schedule but as the years have gone by, information could get lost or confused. EMI didn't necessarily release the song internationally in every country on the same date.

According to this site [[https://www.chartsurfer.de/artist/th...songs-egh.html), Thank You Darling first appeared in the German charts on May 15. I checked the date of first appearance in the charts indicated for SITNOL [[Feb 20) in the USA, which is correct, so I suppose the site is reliable. With the song performed on "Musik aus Studio B" aired on April 5, it makes sense the record to be released in April or May and that the release date on DFTMC and the booklets is probably erroneous [[I guess i will correct that on my site too !).
    Concerning the label no : it's not unsual that it doesn't follow the chronology. I suppose the records and their numbers are planned and defined long in advance, and are sometimes postponned due to a more appealing record.

Thanks everyone for the useful contribution. The chartsurfer website was more detailed than the site I came across and the release date for TYD adds more to the song’s history. Given that the only song post TYD to chart in Germany was BIMAA [[at a lowly 34), it appears the strategy of Motown to release an original German language song paid off with it scoring a respectable no. 18 chart position. The timely promotion of the song on German TV in April ’65 surely helped with the exposure. I wonder how much radio airplay it received and if there were any reviews in the German music press? I too hope an English version turns up in the vaults one day but I shall not be holding my breath. It is still a little documented, but fascinating period of the Supremes [[and Temps and Marvin) recording history. The Motown Around the World cd is probably the most detailed source of information to date.