[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    question is did HDH intend it for a single? and same with In and Out? were they still actively involved in this or were they already MIA to some degree?
    HDH were still at Motown when "In And Out Of Love" was released so likely they would have been pushing for it. "Forever Came Today" wasn't completed until after HDH left Motown. Diana's lead was added late December and background vocals in January 1968 with R. Dean Taylor supervising those sessions. HDH's last session at Motown was overseeing the background vocals being added to "I'm In A Different World" for the Four Tops. That was mid-December 1967 and after that they disappear from the session logs. Whether they intended for "Forever" to be their next single is unknown. Likely Motown was in a panic and pulled it since it was the latest HDH song/production on them. Motown considered Holland-Dozier production led "What The World Needs Now Is Love" as the follow-up to "Forever," but smartly realized they needed to new material and not what was in the can from HDH.

I always wondered if "Heaven Must Have Sent You" was considered for a single in place of "Forever." It would be interesting to know if there are mono references mixes in the vault. "Heaven" has a lot going for it and certainly a lot of potential. It likely would have charted much better.

I think "I'm Gonna Make It" would have been a much stronger single. I also like "Heaven Must Have Sent You" a lot too. It's on my Reflections playlist.

to me Heaven is a great song but dated. it's very 1966 IMO and by late 67 and into 68, the girls needed something new and fresh. of course Reflections [[the single) was just that in summer 67. i don't think In and out really hit the mark. it's fine enough but after something so interesting, it's a let down.

the other "reflections-esque" songs on the lp are interesting but most feel incomplete to me. i think Bah Bah is the most interesting. I'm gonna make it, i can't make it alone, am i asking too much - are fine enough for an album but needed something more to make them singles. they were in the vein of Reflections but didn't really go anywhere with the sound or style

Based on what Eddie Holland and Lamont Dozier said about FCT, it was produced with having it as a single in mind. But they went on strike before the production was finished. I get the feeling the original concept of the song was different than what was eventually released. It seems, I heard at least that Deke Richards finished the song

with all the above info, this is why i love these expanded editions. i am hoping ,maybe one day ,we might get Reflections expanded

I think "Forever Came Today" is a really good song. I think it is the third-best song on Reflections behind the title track and "In and Out of Love". I can understand, though, that it doesn’t feel or sound entirely single-ready. But it's still a very good song to my ears.

It would have been interested if HDH had stayed and “finished it”!

The album artwork didn't help..bit of a hot mess imo

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I don't think creating excellent albums was a priority of Motown, just solid enough, commercial product.

One of the ironies is that while the quality of Supremes albums from 66 to 69 were merely alright, The Marvelettes, hardly a priority of Motown, turned out two excellent albums, Pink album and Sophisticated Soul, during this time.
    As did Martha with Sugar n Spice, Natural Resources, and finally, Black Magic.

i wouldn't personally list Sugar or Natural as great albums. Black Magic is though - it's wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i wouldn't personally list Sugar or Natural as great albums. Black Magic is though - it's wonderful
    I tend to think of the Marvelettes' IN FULL BLOOM and the Vandellas' SUGAR AND SPICE and NATURAL RESOURCES albums in much the same way as I think most of the Supremes' post-Flo albums. All of them have some great songs but for me, they lack that special something that the earlier albums had.

But I do agree: BLACK MAGIC is a stunning album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I tend to think of the Marvelettes' IN FULL BLOOM and the Vandellas' SUGAR AND SPICE and NATURAL RESOURCES albums in much the same way as I think most of the Supremes' post-Flo albums. All of them have some great songs but for me, they lack that special something that the earlier albums had.

But I do agree: BLACK MAGIC is a stunning album.
    exactly - i think they're typical and acceptable albums. but aren't stunning, just as Sunshine and Cream are not amazing.

My favorite Martha & the Vandellas albums are Watchout!, which is my favorite Motown album after WDOLG, and Ridin' High. I was disappointed with their next two albums but love Black Magic.

come on universal. if you out of the expanded business, can we get maybe a combo ,....reflections,... love child ...cream