[REMOVE ADS]

Favourite period throughout Marvin Gaye's career?

For me it is Moods For Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On, now obviously is my opinion but to me that was the absolute peak of him, in terms of charisma, live performer, vocals, songwriting, great transformation as well, when from the clean shaved pretty boy to a more serious artists, it was a brilliant

This is going to be a fun thread, he has such a diverse audience which is cool, but anyways, favourite period throughout Marvin's career?

Hands down, What's Going On through Here, My Dear. The crooner aspirations were swept aside for some thrilling topical, erotic, soul-searching work. These were also my formative years; I have two older brothers who idolized MPG then [and they still do], so they definitely made an impact on my appreciation of this period.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hands down, What's Going On through Here, My Dear. The crooner aspirations were swept aside for some thrilling topical, erotic, soul-searching work. These were also my formative years; I have two older brothers who idolized MPG then [and they still do], so they definitely made an impact on my appreciation of this period.
    Yeah. And to think Marvin aspired to be a crooner like Frank Sinatra. For me it was kinda forced. It just didn't seem natural. So yeah, I too am glad those were done with - for good.

Sidebar: It's funny, 'cause Sammy Davis, Jr. ALSO wanted to be like Frankie...but sadly, as we chatted up about him in another thread, despite his many talents Sinatra and critics alike mocked him and pretty much dismissed him, according to Wil Haygood's insightful bio and soon to be biopic on Hulu. Back to Marvin...

For me the favorite Marvin period was from roughly 1965-69. Say from Ain't That Peculiar to That's the Way Love Is. Motown itself was at its peak then and he blended in beautifully as one of its top ambassadors. I am fortunate enough to own that orange box set that contains in my opinion the best albums of his career. It helped of course that the Tammi duets were during that same time frame. The socially-conscious time that followed was to be admired but just not my thing musically speaking.

my fave is from "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" through the duets with Tammi Terrell.so 1962-1968.

My favorite is from the very beginning thru In My Lifetime. Marvin definitely went through phases, and I have to say I love every one of them. Unfortunately, the Midnight Love album is where my fandom ends. While I love "Sexual Healing", ML, as innovative and experimental as Marvin was being, bears almost no resemblance to the artist whom I adore so much.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Yeah. And to think Marvin aspired to be a crooner like Frank Sinatra. For me it was kinda forced. It just didn't seem natural. So yeah, I too am glad those were done with - for good.
    I love crooner Marvin. How can it be forced and unnatural if that's what he wanted to do? I think even when he moved into Sans' favorite period, there are still elements of Marvin's love of crooning showing up on those albums.

Marvin Gaye...definitely one of those singers who could sing me the phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love crooner Marvin. How can it be forced and unnatural if that's what he wanted to do? I think even when he moved into Sans' favorite period, there are still elements of Marvin's love of crooning showing up on those albums.

Marvin Gaye...definitely one of those singers who could sing me the phone book.
    Seconded. I adore his American Songbook material as well.

Depends on the day

So yeah, I too am glad those were done with - for good.
    Not quite... he worked on songs including 'the Shadow of Your Smile' in 1977 for Vulnerable.

My favourite period is 70s Marvin from 'What's Going On' up to and including 'In Our Lifetime' [1981] which I think is very underrated. 'Praise,' especially, is one of his best upbeat numbers from the late period, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    including 'In Our Lifetime' [1981] which I think is very underrated. 'Praise,' especially, is one of his best upbeat numbers from the late period, in my opinion.
    1000 percent agree!!!

I like all of Marvin's work up to about I Want You and "Got To Give It Up". I can't seem to get into much after that.

I can’t seem to enjoy Here, My Dear very much or for very long. Some nice grooves, but not much substance beyond that. Likewise with In Our Lifetime.

I do, however, really like "Sexual Healing". None of the other tracks on Midnight Love do that much for me, although "Rockin' After Midnight" and "Joy" have some good moments.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-12-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I like all of Marvin's work up to about I Want You and "Got To Give It Up". I can't seem to get into much after that.
    It's the 80s production that makes it harder for me to enjoy 'Midnight Love' and 'Dream Of A Lifetime' but I still think there are some gems. Such as 'Symphony' which is a sweet little song.

"Symphony" is quite nice stupidactingsmart! I think I have a version of the song on the You're the Man album. [Which I guess means that it’s really from 1972, not the 80s]

Coincidentally, "My Love Is Waiting" from Midnight Love just came up on shuffle and I really liked it!!

My favorite Marvin Gaye years are those released in 1966-1970 -- the H-D-H and Norman Whitfield productions. And, of course, Ashford & Simpson's Marvin & Tammi compositions & productions.

This just in: Ernie Barnes' "Sugar Shack" which adorned Marvin's "I Want You" was sold for a whopping $15.3 million, after 22 bidders!! [[Barnes passed in '09; and I think his masterpieces stood in for starving artist, "JJ" on Good Times.)

Wonder how he felt about "The Poet" Mr. Womack and "TP" The "Teddy Bear" Teddy? Competitors or rivals?

Wonder how he felt about "The Poet" Mr. Womack and "TP" The "Teddy Bear" Teddy? Competitors or rivals?
    Don't know about any rivalry that Marvin Gaye had with Bobby Womack. However, David Ritz's bio on Marvin Divided Soul mentions he was jealous of Teddy Pendergrass [especially since he had an affair with Marvin's wife Janis] and other up and coming Soul Artists during the late '70s thru the early '80s.

My favorite era of Marvin Gaye runs from 1966 thru 1976. He went from recording several Motown Classics as both a solo act & a duet partner to crafting Landmark concept albums [as well as the Trouble Man soundtrack].

PS: Can't forget my favorites by Marvin after 1976; "Got To Give It Up", "Praise", "Love Me Now Or Love Me Later" & "Sexual Healing".

From start to the sad finish for me........

Marvin brilliantly embraced so many different facets of music that there isn't a period that lacks interest for me.

I always thought it was interesting that Marvin Gaye managed to get a hit with Got To Give It Up during a period where his career was starting to wane down a lot.

From 1963-1973 he was a consistent hit maker and then after Let's Get It On. His hit making years were going downhill and wasn't very consistent. .

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  21.1 KB
    For me it's his time at Chess Records with Harvey Fuqua's New Moonglows, and his first couple years with Tamla [[1958-62).

Erroneous post.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 06-23-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    My favorite Marvin Gaye years are those released in 1966-1970 -- the H-D-H and Norman Whitfield productions. And, of course, Ashford & Simpson's Marvin & Tammi compositions & productions.
    That's a bold statement!

This just in: Ernie Barnes' "Sugar Shack" which adorned Marvin's "I Want You" was sold for a whopping $15.3 million, after 22 bidders!! [[Barnes passed in '09; and I think his masterpieces stood in for starving artist, "JJ" on Good Times.)
    Do we know who bought the painting?

thats beyond crazy $15.3 million is probably more then Marvin Gaye made in his whole career!!