[REMOVE ADS]

Dee Dee Warwick Interview 9/15/2005

My apologies if this has been posted already. Ran across it the other day, but haven't watched it yet. Thought the forum might appreciate it. One of my favorite singers ever.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it. I always liked Dee Dee . I really enjoyed the stuff she did on Atlantic in the 70's like her version of "Suspecious Mines".

Many thanks for posting this. I've been listening to it during my lunch hour. I have about 20 minutes to go but it has been very interesting so far.

Speaking voice sounds just like Dionne

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Very true, their laugh is the same too. Her facial features also resembled her cousin Cissy's.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Absolutely - if it didn't have vision you would swear it was Dionne [though they have similar looks too].

Great interview - I love seeing these more 'history' interviews rather than where stars re-invent their back-stories to enhance their reputations. Sure Dee Dee doesn't remember the correct years or certain names or other facts at times [it was 40 or 50 years back so fair enough] but she doesn't seem to do it deliberately to pat herself on the back.

Honesty is a virtue.

And I loved hearing about 'The Drunkards' lol

The one thing that did make me think though was when she said she was earning a quarter of a million dollars a year in the early 60s for back-up vocals. Really? When other [bigger, better] artists - eg Darlene Love - have said they were ripped off doing the same job back in the day.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 05-07-2022 at 09:53 AM.

That's not the impression I got from Darlene's autobiography. I think she mentions getting paid triple at one point. She did mention that some up and coming producers asked for their talents without the money to pay them but with the promise that they would make up for it when the producers became rich and famous. Darlene has said that they usually did, so "favors" were repaid and then some. I'm not sure if she was talking about Lou Adler in this instance. She very likely was.

IMO, underrated talent. Yes?

I still haven't watched it, but glad it's a worthy watch. I'll get to it in the next few days. Hopefully. I better download it just in case it disappears before I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    IMO, underrated talent. Yes?
    Hell yeah. Honestly, for my personal tastes, Dee Dee's voice is my favorite, second only to Whitney, in that family. And Dee Dee's discography is actually the only one I can dig from beginning to end. She should have a been a big star.