[REMOVE ADS]

diana wants to "share new songs" on tour

UK! I'm getting you ready for "The Summer of Diana Ross." I can’t wait to share the beautiful collection of songs from my new album “Thank You" with you. I look forward to seeing your smiling faces & feeling your joy. Thank you for the love. You are the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    UK! I'm getting you ready for "The Summer of Diana Ross." I can’t wait to share the beautiful collection of songs from my new album “Thank You" with you. I look forward to seeing your smiling faces & feeling your joy. Thank you for the love. You are the reason why.

We'll hope that Diana does just that. 'Thank You' is a wonderful album with a selection of songs that would be great to have included in Diana's live setlist.

Well yes..............

Maybe do If The World Just Danced and Thank You but it's actually Chain Reaction, Why Do Fools fall In Love, When You Tell Me That You Love Me and I'm Still Waiting that we're longing to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Well yes..............

Maybe do If The World Just Danced and Thank You but it's actually Chain Reaction, Why Do Fools fall In Love, When You Tell Me That You Love Me and I'm Still Waiting that we're longing to hear!

if she cared about that her post would've read:

"I'm coming your way UK ! What is it you're hoping to hear?"
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-05-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Well yes..............

Speak for yourself!!!. I would far sooner see her perform a clutch of songs from the new album as opposed to those tried and trusted chestnuts......Good as they are.
    I think it extremely unlikely that those more comfortable with the familiar will be left disappointed.

I hope she learns the words and doesn't lip synch.

I don’t want the new songs nor the old boring standards in her act for 40 years. Give me Surrender, Someday We’ll Be Together, Some Things You Never Get Used To, and In and Out of Love.

Plus, a few new gowns and a string section.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 05-05-2022 at 09:14 PM.

I think Tomorrow is a good choice. It’s upbeat, catchy and would enable Diana to engage with audiences with the chorus. I can visualise her on stage pointing to members of the audience when singing “tomorrow starts with me and you and you”.

I think the song would also make a strong single release to tie in with the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I hope she learns the words and doesn't lip synch.
    I would certainly hope so. It’s not as if songs such as “Tomorrow” and “Count On Me”, contain many lyrics to learn.
    From a live perspective, i don’t think “Thank You” works terribly well. It lacks the driving force of the feel good “Tomorrow” and is overly repetitive when we get to the chorus. There being only so many Thank You’s one can take after all.

I think I read somewhere that Nile Rogers is in the UK around the time of Diana's tour. What a crowd pleaser it would be if he joined her on stage at Glastonbury or at the O2 Arena for Upside Down or I'm Coming Out.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I think Tomorrow is a good choice. It’s upbeat, catchy and would enable Diana to engage with audiences with the chorus. I can visualise her on stage pointing to members of the audience when singing “tomorrow starts with me and you and you”.

I think the song would also make a strong single release to tie in with the tour.
    Agreed all around; Tomorrow would have good dance mixes as well.

I suspect "Thank You" will be only new song performed on this tour, but I'm happy to be surprised.

I imagine that for Diana, doing "I'm Still Waiting", "Chain Reaction" and "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" will actually be something of a change.

I’d be happy to hear any of those tracks, as well as one or two from the new album!!

There will probably be bemused silence from the Glastonbury crowd if she performs any songs from the new album there.

Those in the 'legends' spot provide 'greatest hits' sets, not anything new.

NB Miss Ross 'I Will Survive' and 'More Today Than Yesterday' are NOT your greatest hits [or anywhere close].
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 05-07-2022 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Nile Rogers is in the UK around the time of Diana's tour. What a crowd pleaser it would be if he joined her on stage at Glastonbury or at the O2 Arena for Upside Down or I'm Coming Out.
    It would be nice but since 'I'm Coming Out' is generally her opening number it would be a bit strange if Nile was there playing with her band instead of being introduced with a 'special guest' announcement.

I think everyone wants or expects her to add new songs to the show.
    Love Diana but her show needs a refresh

"When You Tell Me That You Love Me".I love this song.
    Diana Ross should have received a Grammy Award for this song.
    Great song to hear in concert.Bravo!

Currently she is only singing two new songs 'Thank You' & 'If The World Just Danced' which is quite enough. She also needs to exclude 'More Today Than Yesterday' which is unknown to the majority of people in the UK and also 'I Will Survive' as neither song is hers. Of course 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love' is not hers either. 'Ease On Down The Road' needs to go too!

The Glastonbury crowd will be there to hear the hits only so she had better deliver as they are a tough lot to please. In should come 'When You Tell Me That You Love Me' and 'Not Over You Yet' which was her last solo hit. 'Remember Me' and Surrender' would also be two great additions as would 'Love Hangover', 'My Old Piano' and 'Touch Me In The Morning'. There are just so many to chose from that she does need to include dross or other people songs! Come on Diana this is your last chance to get it right. BTW most other oldies acts at Glastonbury managed to have mega hit albums on the back of their performances. As yet there seems to be no promotion of anything by Universal or Decca. Things do not just happen by themselves guys, the PR department has to make it happen!

I'm beginning to get really worried about Diana's Glastonbury performance - that's the one which will define her UK tour.

Copley is exactly right with the songs he mentions she should include although as one of her biggest selling UK singles I would include Fools but Diana being Diana I'm afraid she'll go her own merry way.

And just WTF is Universal or Decca playing at?

The perfect chance to promote her product and they're doing NOTHING.

I can understand the concerns being voiced here and in various other recent threads concerning the composition of Ms Ross' setlist, as there are a number of comments from fellow superfans stating that her setlist is stale or irrelevant. However, I think to go as far as worry that UK audiences, including the Glastonbury audience, will be upset over the inclusion of a few songs in place of others, is a bit of a stretch. Thus far, she seems to be garnering positive reviews on this tour and is being welcomed with open arms, based on the comments I am seeing on social media. The criticisms from those about her singing "I Will Survive", etc., makes up an extremely small percentage, and some of them are from people who are not currently attending her UK shows. I look forward to seeing the footage from her much anticipated Glastonbury show and I am certain she will be received with almost unanimously positive reviews. I've yet to read any negative press for the shows on this tour, or any reports of booing or people walking out. There has been no clear sense of displeasure, and there won't be. She always puts on a quality show. The only time I recall seeing negative press and social media comments in recent years for a Glastonbury performance was for Janet Jackson, as she had lipsynced her entire set. I know that this won't be the case for Diana.

As for the promotion, I did see someone recently share a photo on social media of a large banner on a bridge in the UK, promoting "Turn Up the Sunshine". It is my understanding that an edited version of the annual Glastonbury performances are usually televised? Hopefully Universal will have purchased some airtime during the program to air a commercial, advertising Diana's Thank You album. While I have doubts that her performance at the festival will boost a significant amount of sales, I'm sure it will at least put Thank You and some other compilations back on the charts for the following week. The state of the music industry is very different now, from even just several years ago. Very few are still selling album units [digital or physical] in the millions, or even in the tens of thousands.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think any artists who have recently released product on the Decca label have received significant promotion for their albums. I think of Dame Shirley Bassey as an example. Her album "I Owe It All To You" came out on Decca toward the end of 2020 and it had very little promotion from the label and from Dame Shirley herself. I think she did one magazine interview and there was a very limited tv spot. That was it. I would assume that some subsidiary labels within the Universal roster are given a bigger promotional budget than others...and I don't think Decca is one of them.
    Last edited by carlo; 06-14-2022 at 05:17 PM.